PDA

View Full Version : Press review of Lehigh's new HC and old HC

LUHawker
January 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Great article that really captures the heart-and-soul as to why the Lehigh faithful were displeased with former HC Pete Lembo and why Andy Coen is a great choice. Lehigh Football Nation is pumped up again!

http://www.pennlive.com/columns/expresstimes/sokoloski/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/113645559827510.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Lehigh Football Nation is pumped up again!

I didn't realize Chuck was feeling down! xlolx

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
On a serious note though, that article is pretty full of itself. I find it pretty bad actually. Mostly because it appears to written from a point of view that Lehigh let Lembo go, and not the other way around. Lembo left Lehigh. Some of it comes across as sour grapes. :twocents:

LUHawker
January 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
On a serious note though, that article is pretty full of itself. I find it pretty bad actually. Mostly because it appears to written from a point of view that Lehigh let Lembo go, and not the other way around. Lembo left Lehigh. Some of it comes across as sour grapes. :twocents:

Since this reporter is a third-party, I don't know why he would have sour grapes unless he and Pete didn't hit it off too well. Hard to say whether Pete was "encouraged" or even "invited" to look at other opportunities, or if he really left of his own volition and LU would have kept him had he wanted to stay. The article does, I think, reflect some of the prevalent criticisms surrounding Lembo and why people are excited about Andy. Time will tell.

LUHawker
January 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I didn't realize Chuck was feeling down! xlolx

Good one! Chuck represents the aggregate LFN very well, but took some liberties in choosing his screen name.

As far as Lembo is concerned, Chuck always seemed to like Pete. Far from saying that Chuck was a Lembo apologist, I think he, however, mostly gave Pete the benefit of the doubt.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Good one! Chuck represents the aggregate LFN very well, but took some liberties in choosing his screen name.

As far as Lembo is concerned, Chuck always seemed to like Pete. Far from saying that Chuck was a Lembo apologist, I think he, however, mostly gave Pete the benefit of the doubt.

About taking liberties with my screen name, I suppose you're right... :) ... but then again, there was no Lehigh Football Nation before me!!!! :asswhip:

Kidding, of course.

Back to the subject at hand. Paul Sokolski isn't a "third-party" reporter - like Keith Groller of the Morning Call, he covers Lehigh extensively for the Easton Express-Times. I've met Paul and Keith, and I like them both. Lehigh is unusual (and extremely fortunate) to have not only one, but two, local reporters covering our team, allowing fans to get several different viewpoints on Lehigh goings-on. (Ask Fordham or Georgetown fans about that - they'd be happy with just one beat reporter!)

As for coach Lembo, he had his fans and his detractors at Lehigh. I've always been a fan of his, which was alluded to above... He's great to talk to, and always gave me the time of day. To me, at Lehigh he was professional, work-a-day, and a great recruiter. I feel like Lembo didn't really get the credit he deserved in some quarters for getting an Eddie Robinson award, a Lambert Cup, and a couple of home playoff games (and one victory). If I gave Pete the benefit of the doubt, it was because of that.

I wish coach Lembo nothing but the best at Elon. I do know if he gets Elon back to the I-AA playoffs during his tenure that he'll be the darling of the Phoenix fans, and won't have to answer to some of the same stuff he had to answer to here. Even a season where the Phoenix are in the running in November would probably be a breath of fresh air.

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM
(Ask Fordham or Georgetown fans about that - they'd be happy with just one beat reporter!)

Georgetown had a beat reporter (Kathy Orton of the WPost), but she was a part-time writer and didn't get much in the paper other than game recaps. The recent Post philosophy is to focus on two teams where suburban circulation is strongest--Maryland and Virginia Tech--and I-AA articles are not a priority. Ask the folks at Howard.

Coach Coen gets lots of plaudits in the Valley press..for now. If it's November and he's 11-0, he's great, but all the "right choice" articles won't mean much if LU is staring at 7-4 or 6-5 next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Coach Coen gets lots of plaudits in the Valley press..for now. If it's November and he's 11-0, he's great, but all the "right choice" articles won't mean much if LU is staring at 7-4 or 6-5 next year.

I couldn't agree more.

colgate13
January 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I couldn't agree more.

And won't the Lembo detracters look silly then!

But in all reality, looking at the 2006 schedule, for Lehigh to have more than 2 losses by the time they host Colgate would be shocking. IMO their biggest chances for losses next season are (in my order of probablity):

Villanova
Lafayette
Colgate
Harvard

Losing all of them would be a shock to me, but losing one or two will not be. Losing any other game on their 2006 schedule (http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/schedules/index.asp) would be an upset in my book.

BTW, I'm really loving the new Lehigh athletics site. Makes me realize how outdated Colgate's has become - and it's only 4 or 5 years old!

LUHawker
January 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
About taking liberties with my screen name, I suppose you're right... :) ... but then again, there was no Lehigh Football Nation before me!!!! :asswhip:

Kidding, of course.

Back to the subject at hand. Paul Sokolski isn't a "third-party" reporter - like Keith Groller of the Morning Call, he covers Lehigh extensively for the Easton Express-Times. I've met Paul and Keith, and I like them both. Lehigh is unusual (and extremely fortunate) to have not only one, but two, local reporters covering our team, allowing fans to get several different viewpoints on Lehigh goings-on. (Ask Fordham or Georgetown fans about that - they'd be happy with just one beat reporter!)

And why don't you think Paul is a third-party reporter? He works for the Express Times and isn't affiliated with Lehigh, so doesn't that make him "third-party"? Yes he is the beat reporter covering Lehigh football, but he is still independent.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM
And why don't you think Paul is a third-party reporter? He works for the Express Times and isn't affiliated with Lehigh, so doesn't that make him "third-party"? Yes he is the beat reporter covering Lehigh football, but he is still independent.

I guess you're right. I took from your original post that Paul wasn't usually on the Lehigh "beat", that he was just weighing in from out of the blue on this. But yeah, Keith and Paul are "third-party".

Kinda like, if 13 talked about Lembo, that would be a third-party perspective, but Paul, Keith (and me, for that matter) have been following Lehigh football for a long time.

Anyway, yeah, you're right.