PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 teams that should move to the FBS

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
http://championsportsviews.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/fcs-football-10-programs-that-should-jump-from-fcs-to-fbs/

North Dakota Fighting Sioux (WAC)

Enrollment: 13,172 (2009)

Stadium: Alerus Center (13,500)

Potential Conference: The Fighting Sioux would be placed in the WAC due to their location and the ability to compete.

North Dakota has claimed 24 conference titles in the history of the program. The Fighting Sioux won the FCS Championship in 2001, and were runner-ups in 2003. A few recognizable names to play football at the university include Scott Schultz, Jim LeClair, Chad Mustard, and Weston Dressler.

Coaches to roam the sidelines include Dale Lennon, Roger Thomas, and current coach Chris Mussman.

That should be D2 not FCS. Also UND would have to renovate Memorial Stadium from a 10,000 seat stadium to maybe 20,000 by taking the track out to allow more seating (we don't need an outdoor track since we will have a track in our indoor football practice facility next to the stadium). Construction on that starts in the spring.

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
UNH was included...I like the respect! Obviously if UNH were to move up ever it would seem to be a sure fire regional fit to join the Big East!

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't expect UND to think about moving up for at least 10-20 years.

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
UNH was included...I like the respect! Obviously if UNH were to move up ever it would seem to be a sure fire regional fit to join the Big East!

The only FBS teams in that area of the Northeast is Boston College. It would kinda be like UND if we were to move up the only FBS teams close to us is Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wyoming.

SideLine Shooter
August 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM
http://championsportsviews.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/fcs-football-10-programs-that-should-jump-from-fcs-to-fbs/

That should be D2 not FCS. Also UND would have to renovate Memorial Stadium from a 10,000 seat stadium to maybe 20,000 by taking the track out to allow more seating (we don't need an outdoor track since we will have a track in our indoor football practice facility next to the stadium). Construction on that starts in the spring.

I did not know that UNI was in Ohio. xconfusedxxeyebrowx

Shows how much faith I put in this article. xlolxxnodxxlolxxnodx

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I did not know that UNI was in Ohio. xconfusedxxeyebrowx

Shows how much faith I put in this article. xlolxxnodxxlolxxnodx

Hey we won the FCS in 2001!!! That proves how good we are when a D2 team is FCS Champions.xlolx

SideLine Shooter
August 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Man, you guys did do real good.xthumbsupxxsmileyclapx

Tribe4SF
August 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
"FORMALLY" Div. II???

The most ludicrous article yet on the subject.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Whoa!!! JSU got NO respect. xscanx

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The only FBS teams in that area of the Northeast is Boston College. It would kinda be like UND if we were to move up the only FBS teams close to us is Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wyoming.

Obviously not that UNH is moving anywhere anytime soon we would not be moving to the ACC to play Boston College. We would be more likely to join UConn in the Big East.

JMUNJ08
August 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
No JMU? Ga St? S. Alabama? Jax St.? UTSA? FAIL

Bogus Megapardus
August 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM
No JMU? Ga St? S. Alabama? Jax St.? UTSA? FAIL

Georgia State's winning record and brutal strength of schedule, combined with its long football history, ought to put over the top without concern.

NoCoDanny
August 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM
OK I can't help but laugh that ND got mentioned and not NDSU, this will get ugly fast!

By the way in my opinion NDSU is a way more valid choice but perhaps I'm wrong.

darell1976
August 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM
OK I can't help but laugh that ND got mentioned and not NDSU, this will get ugly fast!

I didn't post this to be smack. I also think its funny that UND got mentioned instead of NDSU especailly since we aren't even playoff eligible until 2012.

JSUBison
August 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM

The writer of that article is obviously no fan of "Division II" football.

Wildcat80
August 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Need a stadium expansion but FBS would be too big a step.....until we win a couple NC's!!

KiddBrewer
August 9th, 2010, 02:25 AM
HA. the day my Alma Mater joins the Sunbelt is the day I will start telling everyone I went to Western Carolina. xnottalkingx

Uncle Buck
August 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
You can't get upset about not being included, especially when the article starts off like this...

"In the past twenty years, programs such as Connecticut, Marshall, and Boise State have made successful jumps from the FCS (formally Division II) to FBS (formally Division I)."

For the love of pete, if you're going to write an article on FCS schools, at least understand the classification.

wr70beh
August 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
You can't get upset about not being included, especially when the article starts off like this...

For the love of pete, if you're going to write an article on FCS schools, at least understand the classification.

Agreed. That article is full of mistakes, ignorance....in other words, full of FAIL.

henfan
August 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Terrible, not only for the glaring mistakes but for the complete lack of logic.

Bogus Megapardus
August 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
But it's the author's stellar qualifications that give him the ability to write from a standpoint of such knowledge and authority:

"I worked in a sports memorabilia store on the Las Vegas strip for over two years meeting athletes and celebrities frequently." (http://championsportsviews.wordpress.com/about/)

Two whole years I'm tellin' ya. And he met celebrities. Celebrities know things. He should do a global warming blog next.

LakesBison
August 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
He obviously meant NDSU, and its obviously the worst article ever written, mistakes galore, just hilarious and embarassing. Might as well delete that and this thread, because none of that will happen unless mars strikes earth tomorrow.

AppChicago
August 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM
It's a blog. There's no barrier to entry for any schmoe like this to write an article about something he knows nothing about.

In fact, that's the single most defining characteristic of "new media". Lots of clueless people who think they know something talking about stuff.

But if that's a sin, this and every message board is on the elevator going down. :)

Longhorn
August 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Ugh. That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a loooong time.

TokyoGriz
August 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
This guy should apply for a job at FOX News. He would fit right in.

darell1976
August 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
He obviously meant NDSU, and its obviously the worst article ever written, mistakes galore, just hilarious and embarassing. Might as well delete that and this thread, because none of that will happen unless mars strikes earth tomorrow.

NDSU didn't win a national title in any division in 2001 so he meant UND. But I don't know what this guy was smoking while he wrote this but pass it around.xlolx

jmufan999
August 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Need a stadium expansion but FBS would be too big a step.....until we win a couple NC's!!

how about a couple of playoff games? in the past decade, UNH hasn't had a winning postseason record in any given year. i've always been a UNH fan, but now i'm starting to wonder how much having URI, Northeastern, and Hoftsra on the schedule EVERY YEAR has helped that. no disrespect intended, i'd love to see UNH win a national title. seriously. but they haven't shown that they're ready for that.

Mattymc727
August 9th, 2010, 04:49 PM
how about a couple of playoff games? in the past decade, UNH hasn't had a winning postseason record in any given year. i've always been a UNH fan, but now i'm starting to wonder how much having URI, Northeastern, and Hoftsra on the schedule EVERY YEAR has helped that. no disrespect intended, i'd love to see UNH win a national title. seriously. but they haven't shown that they're ready for that.

ouch......my pride......

jmufan999
August 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
ouch......my pride......

hahaha... i really do mean it, though (the part about me rooting for UNH). i don't know why... part of it was that i was a big Santos fan (even though i never actually SAW him play)... and i like the uniforms. not that i see them that often. that's the thing, we (JMU and UNH) don't really have a rivalry at all. just part of having a big conference, i guess. i wish SO MUCH that JMU had a rival like the Montana-Montana State thing.... but nothing. we have lots of quasi-rivals in-conference. UD, UR, W&M, maybe ODU. not one TRUE rival. ok, i'll stop hijacking this thread now. :)

App-a-latch-un
August 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
sunbelt!?? never ever ever ever, that's not a step up.

GreatAppSt
August 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Not sure if he understands it's the Big East not the Big Northeast as it appears he thinks it should be.xrolleyesx

SO ILLmatic
August 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM

Sun Belt would be most likely if your university added the extra scholarships.
The second viable option would be in the eastern division of the MAC.
Third, and the least likely, option would be a new conference with the eastern division CUSA teams [ECU,Marshall, etc..] if they split away, or were forced away, from the western division.

JSU02
August 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Sun Belt would be most likely if your university added the extra scholarships.
The second viable option would be in the eastern division of the MAC.
Third, and the least likely, option would be a new conference with the eastern division CUSA teams [ECU,Marshall, etc..] if they split away, or were forced away, from the western division.

OR a totally new conference of former FCS schools such as App St, ODU, JMU, Liberty, Jax St, GA St, TxSt, UTSA, SHSU, Mizzou St, GA Sou... I know the proposed rule restricts FCS schools from moving up without first joining an FBS conference, but I dont see how the NCAA could stop a new conference from becomming FBS en mass and it not be an anti trust violation, but **** it Jim , I'm a doctor, not a lawyer.xlolx

SpeedkingATL
August 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately he lost me at "FCS formerly Division II". That statement alone shows a complete lack of historical knowledge about FCS and it's member institutions.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The title should read, "Top 10 teams that should move down from FBS to FCS."

PhoenixSupreme
August 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
This article was posted on the internet...therefore it has to be absolutely true. xrotatehx

coover
August 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
This guy should apply for a job at FOX News. He would fit right in.

Interesting thread, except for the quote above. Fox News may be the only place where a viewer is given the news accurately. If you're looking for news clowns, watch MSNBC's Matthews, Olbermann, and Maddow. But ... rethinking it ... the guy who wrote the article this thread is based on probably knows more about what he is writing about than Matthews, Olbermann, or Maddow know about their subject.

theasushow
August 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM

i didnt realize the sunbelt was d1.

TokyoGriz
August 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Interesting thread, except for the quote above. Fox News may be the only place where a viewer is given the news accurately.

LOL! Thats the funniest stuff I have read in a Looooong time!

Oh wait... your serious? Lol! That makes it even funnier!

Fox News is even more inaccurate and biased than this guys joke of an article on FCS teams.

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
LOL! Thats the funniest stuff I have read in a Looooong time!

Oh wait... your serious? Lol! That makes it even funnier!

Fox News is even more inaccurate and biased than this guys joke of an article on FCS teams.

I agree. I was about to spit out my Dr. Pepper when reading that post.

Bearkats94
August 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Looks like he hasn't hear TxState and UTSA screaming about make the jump.xlolx

malibudude
August 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I agree. I was about to spit out my Dr. Pepper when reading that post.

I am cleaning up my computer screen as I type...Pepsi all over the place.