PDA

View Full Version : College Football HOF selection?

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Which players that have played recently, like within the last four years or currently, are going to be up for CFHOF selection sometime in the future? Does anybody know how this works?

I was thinking this because I was over at the CFHOF site looking up which PL schools had the most hall of famers. Colgate had the most.. 11, Lafayette and Holy Cross 7, Bucknell Georgetown 4, Fordham 3 (surprising).. and Lehigh 1 ( :p ) ahem.. couldn't resist.

Also question for colgate 13 and 'gate people... do you think Jamaal Branch is going to be up for CFHOF nomination? Kenny Gamble is in, but from what I remember he had an evenly distributed career.. whereas Branch had two explosive seasons.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
do you think Jamaal Branch is going to be up for CFHOF nomination? Kenny Gamble is in, but from what I remember he had an evenly distributed career.. whereas Branch had two explosive seasons.

I'd be surprised. Branch had one really good season. Gamble was a four year star. You never know though...

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I'd be surprised. Branch had one really good season. Gamble was a four year star. You never know though...

I was thinking he'd be a strong candidate considering he won the Payton, had the most rushing yards in an I-AA season, and a ton of TDs. Plus, he helped lead Colgate to a record streak and fell a game short of 16-0, something that hadn't been done since Yale in 1898 or something. All in all, dominating. He had a respectable 2004, but not spectacular... that's why I'd question a nomination.. and no real action for 3years.

Pard94
January 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
So anyone from the modern era from Lafayette? What about Erick Marsh?

JoltinJoe
January 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Which players that have played recently, like within the last four years or currently, are going to be up for CFHOF selection sometime in the future? Does anybody know how this works?

I was thinking this because I was over at the CFHOF site looking up which PL schools had the most hall of famers. Colgate had the most.. 11, Lafayette and Holy Cross 7, Bucknell Georgetown 4, Fordham 3 (surprising).. and Lehigh 1 ( :p ) ahem.. couldn't resist.

Surprising? We even have a fourth. Former Fordham coach Jim Crowley is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame but he appears under Notre Dame where he played as one of the Four Horsemen.

Fordham even has three graduates in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
So anyone from the modern era from Lafayette? What about Erick Marsh?

Nope, no Marsh.. and nobody from the modern era... HC and Colgate have modern era players, Lokcbaum and Gamble.. and they wre only inducted in 2001... if Marsh will, he might get consideration in the last half of this decade, or early next, judging on earlier PL time lines. Here is Lafayette's listing...

Charles "Babe" Rinehart, Frank "Dutch" Schwab, Jock Sutherland, Charlie Berry, Herb McCracken, Edward "Hook" Mylin, George "Mike" Wilson.

Wilson was the latest inductee, 1988, and Hook Mylin was the latest by years with the team.. 1946.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Surprising? We even have a fourth. Former Fordham coach Jim Crowley is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame but he appears under Notre Dame where he played as one of the Four Horsemen.

Fordham even has three graduates in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I meant surprising in terms of believeing Fordham had more HOF players. It lists.. Frank "The Iron Major" Cavanaugh, Ed "Devil Doll" Franco, Alex "Wojie" Wojciechowicz.

And I'm guessing two of the NFL HOFs are Wellington Mara and Vince Lombardi.

Check out the site to read the profiles...

http://collegefootball.org/famersearch.php

jwfgeol
January 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Here are the criteria to be inducted in the hall of fame...

http://collegefootball.org/famerguides.php

2. A player becomes eligible for consideration by the Foundation's Honors Court 10 years after his last year of intercollegiate football played.

JoltinJoe
January 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I meant surprising in terms of believeing Fordham had more HOF players. It lists.. Frank "The Iron Major" Cavanaugh, Ed "Devil Doll" Franco, Alex "Wojie" Wojciechowicz.

And I'm guessing two of the NFL HOFs are Wellington Mara and Vince Lombardi.

Check out the site to read the profiles...

http://collegefootball.org/famersearch.php

Yes. The third NFL Hall of Famer is Wojciechowicz.

colonel84
January 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
EKU (right up there with the high academic schools of the PL) has 2 - Roy Kidd (coach) and George Floyd (player in the 70-80's)

Go...gate
January 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Branch has an outside chance due to his 2003 season. It may be a while before Colgate gets anybody in again. Mark Murphy, Mark Van Eeghen or Rich Erenberg may also have a shot.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
EKU (right up there with the high academic schools of the PL) has 2 - Roy Kidd (coach) and George Floyd (player in the 70-80's)

We have a relation to EKU... one of our basketball players is now yours. Jamaal Douglas jumped ship last year, presumably due to the scholarship debacle. He should be eligible at EKU next year.

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Branch has an outside chance due to his 2003 season. It may be a while before Colgate gets anybody in again. Mark Murphy, Mark Van Eeghen or Rich Erenberg may also have a shot.

What about Ryan Vena?

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
What about Ryan Vena?

Vena was outstanding for the PL, but not on the national scene.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Vena was outstanding for the PL, but not on the national scene.

You know what might hurt Branch, and (IMO a vastly underrated player) Chris Brown? Their senior year they were unable to dominate and return to the I-AA playoffs. That wasn't their fault, mostly (the core of their smothering defense had graduated), but in the key year, they didn't have the same sort of year.

IMO, what made Branch so great was the emergence of Chris Brown at QB. I hated seeing Lehigh line up against him, and he absolutely killed us at Goodman in 2002. His ability to scramble made it impossible to key on Branch. In 2004, when (IMO) he was hurting most of the year, Branch didn't have as great a year.

Personally, I think David Ball is the next N'easterner to make the collegiate hall of fame, but only if he can do in 2006 what he did in 2005. He's the best athlete I've seen play at this level.

Brad82
January 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Brian Forster from Rhode Island should be a lock. Check out his stats.

ngineer
January 11th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Tough for I-AA players to get in from the 'modern era'. I imagine Pat Pazetti is the Lehigh representative (from around 1912). Unfortunately, Lehigh's football prowess had only a few 'blips' in the early 1900s, the 1950s, and then post 1970 to present--but by then, the landscape of college football was changed. Note, Lafayette's last inductee was from the 1940's. The players we see as 'stars' are not viewed within the same prism at the I-A players and, in my view, must have careers that go far and above what should be necessary because of the perceived 'lesser competition' by the big 'poohbahs'. :cool:

Pard4Life
January 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Tough for I-AA players to get in from the 'modern era'. I imagine Pat Pazetti is the Lehigh representative (from around 1912). Unfortunately, Lehigh's football prowess had only a few 'blips' in the early 1900s, the 1950s, and then post 1970 to present--but by then, the landscape of college football was changed. Note, Lafayette's last inductee was from the 1940's. The players we see as 'stars' are not viewed within the same prism at the I-A players and, in my view, must have careers that go far and above what should be necessary because of the perceived 'lesser competition' by the big 'poohbahs'. :cool:

I think that the HOF should view HOF players as standouts in the prisim of I-AA. I don't know if they view every player in the same prisim, like you allude to, but that would automatically make the HOF completely I-A players today. I am assuming that all nominees are viewed through I-A. Also it would be interesting to know the ratios of I-As to I-AAs inducted over the past few years. Every level should get their own prisim.. like DII and DIII. I don't know if any players have made it to the HOF from that level. They should though... if a player was dominate in a particualr classification, then he should be considered. It's the COLLEGE Football HOF, not I-A Hall of Fame. And I don't think the hall would be overcrowded if you had division specific nominees. Each player would have to be dominant, and that doesn't happen too often anywhere... (unless you are USC).

Pard4Life
January 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM
You know what might hurt Branch, and (IMO a vastly underrated player) Chris Brown? Their senior year they were unable to dominate and return to the I-AA playoffs. That wasn't their fault, mostly (the core of their smothering defense had graduated), but in the key year, they didn't have the same sort of year.

IMO, what made Branch so great was the emergence of Chris Brown at QB. I hated seeing Lehigh line up against him, and he absolutely killed us at Goodman in 2002. His ability to scramble made it impossible to key on Branch. In 2004, when (IMO) he was hurting most of the year, Branch didn't have as great a year.

Personally, I think David Ball is the next N'easterner to make the collegiate hall of fame, but only if he can do in 2006 what he did in 2005. He's the best athlete I've seen play at this level.

Yeah I remember when Brown made his debut... I think it was the Lafayette game in 2002. I remember licknig my chomps thinking 'mmm back-up QB ripe for the picking' and then wham... he comes in and takes control. Not only of the game, but was one of Colgate's best all-time QBs. I was surprised that Colgate couldn't get back to the playoffs with that tandem.. and perhaps that might hurt their legacy like you say. As time goes on, non-PLers might remember them as 'a flash in the pan'.