PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State Preliminary 2006 Schedule

FlyYtown
January 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Games: Do not know the dates.
Games in no particular order

Likely Non-Conference Games from 33 WYTV:
Slippery Rock @ YSU (Division II. No Luck getting a Non-Schollie I-AA Team)
Maine @ YSU (Home and Home)
Cal-Davis @ YSU (Home and Home)
@ Penn State

Conference Games:
Illinois State
Indiana State
Northern Iowa
Western Illinois
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Western Kentucky

The only games not 100% official are SRU and UCD...
Go Penguins!

slostang
January 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Tough schedule. Looks like the only breaks are Slippery Rock and maybe Indiana State.

GoGuins
January 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Games: Do not know the dates.
Games in no particular order

Likely Non-Conference Games from 33 WYTV:
Slippery Rock @ YSU (Division II. No Luck getting a Non-Schollie I-AA Team)
Maine @ YSU (Home and Home)
Cal-Davis @ YSU (Home and Home)
@ Penn State

Conference Games:
Illinois State
Indiana State
Northern Iowa
Western Illinois
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Western Kentucky

The only games not 100% official are SRU and UCD...
Go Penguins!

AD needs to do more to get the DII off the schedule

DetroitFlyer
January 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Why was YSU not able to get Dayton on the schedule? I believe that UD is obligated to play at Division III Wittenberg in 2006, and I do not know if we have to play Division II Tiffin again, but even with those games it seems as though we could have worked YSU onto the schedule. I am very disappointed. According to our AD, YSU never even contacted Dayton the last time I spoke with him. Bummer!!

th0m
January 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Looks indeed like a pretty tough schedule. The Gateway conference slate is no joke, but on a positive note you do get all your winnable OOC's at home, so that may be a good thing to build on (Do you play the OOC games before the conference games, or is it a mix?)

Which of the conf games are played at home? Could be key this year.

GoGuins
January 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Flyer-What I've been told by someone in good with the YSU AD is he contacted several I-AA non-scholies (including Dayton & Duquesne) and they either never called back or weren't interested. I would like to see it happen and get Slippery Rock off there.

All OOC games are before GFC play begins. YSU has 3 GFC games at home (SIU, UNI, & Indy State) with 4 on the road (WKU, WIU, Mo ST, Ill St.)

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Pretty good non-conference schedule... Maine and UC Davis are quality programs... although I will still shake my head at Penn St. and Slippery Rock :nonono2:

Keep trying with those I-AA phone calls, something will come up hopefully. But don't exepect to get into the playoffs if you have 8 wins again... perhaps even if one of those wins are over decent teams.

TypicalTribe
January 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Flyer-What I've been told by someone in good with the YSU AD is he contacted several I-AA non-scholies (including Dayton & Duquesne) and they either never called back or weren't interested. I would like to see it happen and get Slippery Rock off there.

All OOC games are before GFC play begins. YSU has 3 GFC games at home (SIU, UNI, & Indy State) with 4 on the road (WKU, WIU, Mo ST, Ill St.)

Yikes. Awfully tough schedule. I'm guessing the committee won't have to worry about considering a 6 or 7 win YSU team next November.

Go...gate
January 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Just beat Penn State and all will be forgiven :nod:

GannonFan
January 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Maine, although a good program of late, isn't really expected to be a playoff contender in the A10/CAA next year - playing them at home is a boon as well. If YSU wants the playoffs, that's a game they have to win. What really hurt YSU this past year is that they finished 3rd in the Gateway - they probably get SIU and UNI at home this year (played them on the road last year) so winning at least one of those games would be really important. If they lose both of them again I could see an 8-3 YSU team again missing the playoffs - you need some really good wins at 8-3 (with a DII) to get in.

Mr. C
January 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Maine, although a good program of late, isn't really expected to be a playoff contender in the A10/CAA next year - playing them at home is a boon as well. If YSU wants the playoffs, that's a game they have to win. What really hurt YSU this past year is that they finished 3rd in the Gateway - they probably get SIU and UNI at home this year (played them on the road last year) so winning at least one of those games would be really important. If they lose both of them again I could see an 8-3 YSU team again missing the playoffs - you need some really good wins at 8-3 (with a DII) to get in.
YSU was actually a co-champ in the Gateway with Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois. UNI won the auto bid by beating both YSU and SIU. Having a D-II on the schedule doesn't help towards the goal of making the playoffs, but the Pens do have some of the GFC's best returning senior talent, so they should be one of the favorites, if not the favorite, for the title this season.

FlyYtown
January 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Ya Flyer I talked with some people in the athletic office at YSU at the Basketball games and even read in the paper... We contacted a number of Non-Scholarship I-AA and none contacted back... Actually the YSU "BEAT" Report Pete Mollica said he [Strollo-AD] has contacted 20+ schools and Strollo has sat there not to hear the phone ring..

This schedule is no joke and GoGuins when it took this long for us to just get UC-Davis... Its near impossible to get someone other than Slippery Rock. As much as I hate the game, the performance of the team shows in that game and can give us a barometer of how we shall play...... If I had to say with the talent returning and transferring like Irizarry at TE... I think the only spot we are sub-par in is WR... We lost Kyle Smith who is gonna be playing in the Hula Bowl and should get some serious consideration for the NFL.

I say 9-2 is a good early prediction for this team...

igo4uni
January 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM
No MAC teams on the schedule??

FlyYtown
January 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
No MAC teams on the schedule??
I have said on many occasions its Akron and Kent's reason we are not in the MAC and its their reason we do not play them.... It's sad that we are their highest attended game for them and despite that; they refuse to play us..

lucchesicourt
January 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Flytown, one of the losses you are expecting is to UC Davis, right? Or are you understimating the quality of this team. Next years Aggie suad will have more schollie players with MANY returning stars. So, pretty much the same team, with more schollies, that beat Stanford, NDSU, Cal Poly, and barely loss to UNH.

FlyYtown
January 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
No.. I am not counting them as a loss nor do I think they are weak. They are to me a McNeese St. type team from schedules past. I just think we will be that strong next year, we can beat anyone except PENN STATE.

lucchesicourt
January 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
The Aggie team too can beat any team, including Stanford. The Aggie "D" that held Stanford to under 200 total yards will be even better next year. The offense should better too as the injuries that hurt the offense should be healed by next year, as none were that severe as to expect a long recovery period. As for comparing UC Davis to McNeese I think you got it wrong. UC Davis has a history of putting out professional QB's, and the one we currently have could also be one. He's not as good as many in the past (Ken O'Brien, Khari Jones, Mark Grieb, Kevin Daft, JT O'Sullivan, etc etc), but he is no slouch either. I could go on, but I really don't think McNeese coulld posibly compare with UCD in this category. I think very few schools could.

FlyYtown
January 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
The Aggie team too can beat any team, including Stanford. The Aggie "D" that held Stanford to under 200 total yards will be even better next year. The offense should better too as the injuries that hurt the offense should be healed by next year, as none were that severe as to expect a long recovery period. As for comparing UC Davis to McNeese I think you got it wrong. UC Davis has a history of putting out professional QB's, and the one we currently have could also be one. He's not as good as many in the past (Ken O'Brien, Khari Jones, Mark Grieb, Kevin Daft, JT O'Sullivan, etc etc), but he is no slouch either. I could go on, but I really don't think McNeese coulld posibly compare with UCD in this category. I think very few schools could.
Hey man.. Don't get me wrong.... I don't know much about your team just enough to know they are a quality opponent, to me like McNeese, which will bring a great NonConference game to the Ice Castle!