PDA

View Full Version : MVFC pre-season poll

89rabbit
August 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100802/UPDATES/100802011

Preseason poll puts SDSU in second in conference

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • August 2, 2010

Expectations for the South Dakota State football team have risen again.

The Jackrabbits are picked to finish second in the Missouri Valley Football Conference this season, according to a preseason poll of coaches, sports information directors and media that was released this morning.

Southern Illinois was tabbed as the favorite followed by SDSU, Illinois State and Northern Iowa. All four of those squads received at least one first-place vote. . . . (read more)

1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. Ill St
4. UNI
5. Missouri St
6. NDSU
7. Youngstown
8. WIU
9. Indiana St

RabidRabbit
August 2nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100802/UPDATES/100802011

Preseason poll puts SDSU in second in conference

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • August 2, 2010

Expectations for the South Dakota State football team have risen again.

The Jackrabbits are picked to finish second in the Missouri Valley Football Conference this season, according to a preseason poll of coaches, sports information directors and media that was released this morning.

Southern Illinois was tabbed as the favorite followed by SDSU, Illinois State and Northern Iowa. All four of those squads received at least one first-place vote. . . . (read more)

1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. Ill St
4. UNI
5. Missouri St
6. NDSU
7. Youngstown
8. WIU
9. Indiana St

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thesouthern.com/news/loca...cc4c002e0.html

South Dakota State, last year's runners-up, received two first-place votes and 252 points. Third-place Illinois State (249 points) got three first-place votes and fourth-place Northern Iowa (244) got the other first-place vote. The rest of the poll went like this: Missouri State (164 points), North Dakota State (151), Youngstown State (130), Western Illinois (70) and Indiana State (47). (more)

Jacked_Rabbit
August 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't have any complaints with this poll... The only thing I find interesting is that Illinois State got 3 first place votes. Wow!

RabidRabbit
August 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
I don't have any complaints with this poll... The only thing I find interesting is that Illinois State got 3 first place votes. Wow!

Il St returns 18 starters, and has had some impact players transfer in, expecially to bolster the D-line. Good team last year, under their new coach. Should be "better" this year. But have both SDSU and UNI away.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Right about where NDSU should be, in terms of recent wins.

If you talk about "program", ie tradition, facilities, attendance, coach's salaries, etc., NDSU would arguably be the top program in the league. But, of course, it comes down to winning the games.

Redbird Ray
August 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
No huge surprises here. I'm glad Illinois State could go from being picked 8th in this thing last year to being picked 3rd this season. Hopefully our guys handle the expectations well. Under DJ, there were certain years we did fine with all the preseason acclaim, and then there were certain years we totally tanked.

I suppose you could have MSU, NDSU, and YSU in any order 5-7. Someone in the 5-9 range will challenge for the top three in the Valley this year, just as ISU did last year.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Whats the most teams this conference has represented in the playoffs in a season?? Seems like this conference produces a lot of good playoff teams and now with SDSU picked second you are adding more gas to the playoff fire.

Twentysix
August 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
3 i think.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
3 i think.

Thats good for only 16 teams in the playoffs.

jlandrus23
August 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
The MVFC is improving each and every year, I just hope Indiana State can get it together and put a couple of MVFC wins on the board.

BearsCountry
August 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Whats the most teams this conference has represented in the playoffs in a season?? Seems like this conference produces a lot of good playoff teams and now with SDSU picked second you are adding more gas to the playoff fire.

4, we had half the league make the playoffs before.

MSUDuo
August 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM
No complaints on the Bears end. Obviously we will be in the thick of things again but haven't earned the respect yet to be picked higher. May be better than UNI or Illinois State but we will see

89rabbit
August 3rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
More info from SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a222da559-eac5-4dc1-a0f3-7b042be2c6cf&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

PantherRob82
August 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
What makes you think that you're team is top4? We keep hearing these rumblings from Springfield just to see your team fall flat again.

PantherRob82
August 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
More info from SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPostId=Blog%3a69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c Post%3a222da559-eac5-4dc1-a0f3-7b042be2c6cf&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest
"NDSU coach Craig Bohl was perhaps as blunt as any coach. He made it clear that very few parts of his team are proven, even noting that all-conference pick Matt Gratzek needs to be better.
He also said that Jose Mohler is being pushed for the QB job even though he's been named the starter. The Bison are looking for somebody to make plays at that spot this year."

MSUDuo
August 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
What makes you think that you're team is top4? We keep hearing these rumblings from Springfield just to see your team fall flat again.

Baby steps. This is Terry Allen's 4th year. Have never had 4 recruiting classes lined up behind each other like this. Finally finding depth at all positions instead of a just a couple. If we are going to ever become something in football, this year has to be 7 wins; no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.

Redbird Ray
August 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I sincerely hope that if Illinois State does not win the Valley this year, that Indiana State does. xhurrayx

darell1976
August 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. Ill St
4. UNI
5. Missouri St
6. YSU
7. NDSU
8. WIU
9. Indiana St

SalukiJim
August 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
What happened to UNI that they've dropped so far? They are always tough!

Western_101
August 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, only a few years ago the Gateway had 4 teams in the 16 team playoffs. With regards to football programs....things like this are cyclical, SIU was not good for quite some time whereas WIU was pretty good, Heck YSU thought they would dominate coming in this leauge comming off a few years after championships. Seems to me I remember another team recently that thought they would dominate coming into this league?

Gil Dobie
August 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, only a few years ago the Gateway had 4 teams in the 16 team playoffs. With regards to football programs....things like this are cyclical, SIU was not good for quite some time whereas WIU was pretty good, Heck YSU thought they would dominate coming in this leauge comming off a few years after championships. Seems to me I remember another team recently that thought they would dominate coming into this league?

Fans probably thought that, I'm sure the teams and coaches didn't.

UNIFanSince1983
August 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM
What happened to UNI that they've dropped so far? They are always tough!

We have just lost a lot from last year. We lost the entire starting offensive line. We also lost most of the defensive line, and a couple very good linebackers. I think we are pegged about right. We need to see what the new quarterback can do behind a line that didn't look real good in the spring game. If things come together look out as we will be at the top again, but things really need to come together.

RabidRabbit
August 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
We have just lost a lot from last year. We lost the entire starting offensive line. We also lost most of the defensive line, and a couple very good linebackers. I think we are pegged about right. We need to see what the new quarterback can do behind a line that didn't look real good in the spring game. If things come together look out as we will be at the top again, but things really need to come together.

Yes, this appears to be a rebuilding vs reloading year for the Panthers. With early (prior to mid Oct) games vs. IL St, SIU, & SDSU, may not have time to jell all the new components. SDSU caught IL St early last year, and escaped Normal with the W. Panthers caught Redbirds at end, and Redbirds knocked UNI out of play-offs. If the MVFC pre-season poll is right, the top four teams will have round robined in the early games, so could see the Bison, Penguins or Bears at the top because each of the top picks beat up each other.

Redbird Ray
August 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Illinois State did improve by quite a bit throughout the season last year. We would have beaten EIU had we played them at the end of last season, and would have come **** close to beating UIllinois.

Someone else will do the same thing in the MVFC this year. I had not thought about the round-robin schedule early on with SIU, SDSU, ISU, and UNI, but this will give a MSU or NDSU to get some early ground in conference play.

Can't wait for Sept 2!!!!!

Gil Dobie
November 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
1. SIU
2. SDSU
3. Ill St
4. UNI
5. Missouri St
6. NDSU
7. Youngstown
8. WIU
9. Indiana St

Kind of topsy/tervy when you look back.

Iwuvdatrees
November 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I think it's just great that trees can make such a large jump in the conference next year no doubt the trees could be in thick of possibly winning this thing...

Chi Panther
November 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Problem for the trees next year, is everyone will take them serious. IMO, no way tree finish in top 3 next year...

DOME
November 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but UNI is only losing four starters to graduation?

Big TE being the biggest loss in my eyes but we are very deep in terms of receivers.

Indianastate45
November 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Problem for the trees next year, is everyone will take them serious. IMO, no way tree finish in top 3 next year...

I doubt people still covering their eyes during THIS season. I don't think we are winning conference games because coaches and players have ignored our early season wins and assume we can't play ball. After we tromped ISU RED I'm pretty sure Missouri State and everyone else was ready to play us. ISU has a winning record on the season, against FCS opponents, and against conference rivals. I don't see how any respectable football team couldn't take them serious THIS season.