PDA

View Full Version : UT Billboard Goes Up in TXST 'Country'

TexasTerror
August 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
The folks at TXST are not too happy after a billboard saying "Hey Bobcats" from the local cable company features former University of Texas QB Colt McCoy. An image of the billboard is below.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/download/file.php?id=453

To add to this situation, the San Marcos Daily Record sports editor wrote another piece to rile up the TXST faithful. This is probably is second or third such effort in two months...

San Marcos — The University of Texas is exactly 35 miles from the campus at Texas State University. But for Texas State Bobcat fans, Forty Acres sometimes seems to stretch a lot further.

The University of Texas has always towered over Texas State, especially in the realm of college football. UT’s seemingly unlimited athletic budget helps the Longhorns field one of the best Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football teams in the nation, playing in front of more than 90,000 fans each game.

The Bobcats, on the other hand, play at a much smaller lever in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), and as many already know, are in the middle of a campaign to push the football program up to the FBS level.

That in mind, it’s easy to understand why some faithful Bobcat backers have gotten into a bit of an uproar when Grande Communications recently unveiled its new advertising campaign, featuring former UT quarterback and current Cleveland Brown Colt McCoy.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x2064734673/Opinion-Billboard-featuring-McCoy-rubs-some-Bobcat-fans-wrong-way

There is a quote in the article that says TXST fans are UT fans (and vice-versa). IMO, it was just a bad move by the company - regardless of the location of UT compared to TXST and any thoughts on the fans of either institutions.

And here's a link to the thread on BFs.com...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19557

Cocky
August 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Go Directv

DFW HOYA
August 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Just keep Colt away from Bryan-College Station...

JohnStOnge
August 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
There are probably more University of Texas fans in the area than there are Texas State fans. And, as the guy wrote, a lot of the fans like Texas State as a FCS team and Texas as the Big Time team. If the company is going to pick a football player to present, there is nobody on Texas State's team that will bring them the kind of attaction Colt McCoy brings. There is absolutely no real, rational reason to be offended by that billboard. Seriously. Suppose they had Jeff George on that billboard. I'm not putting down George, but he is not going to have the same effect, even in that area, as Colt McCoy does.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM
There are probably more University of Texas fans in the area than there are Texas State fans. And, as the guy wrote, a lot of the fans like Texas State as a FCS team and Texas as the Big Time team.

The billboard is near/on campus. While I don't doubt there are many UT fans on campus (every school has fans who like an FBS school), I don't believe this statement to be correct. Are there more LSU fans than McNeese fans on your campus? The University has spent years/decades separating itself from the "UT Wannabe" image and has spent a lot of energy and effort infusing school pride in its students through several programs. This particular billboard was aimed at TEXAS STATE STUDENTS (hence the writing at the top: HEY BOBCATS!). Pitiful. If there was a billboard with Les Miles on your campus, I'm not so sure you'd take this as lightly, especially if you're knee deep in an effort to move subdivisions. Take into account that Grande already has contracts with all on-campus facilities (including the residence halls, academic buildings, several fraternity and sororities, apartment complexes, etc...), this billboard was depressingly unnecessary. Plus having had Grande when I lived on campus and Time Warner when I moved off, I found TW to be a little better (although still left A LOT to be desired).

If the company is going to pick a football player to present, there is nobody on Texas State's team that will bring them the kind of attaction Colt McCoy brings.

Barrick Nealy is actually still pretty popular. I can think of a few more--HELL, why not a San Antonio Spur (Tim Duncan would be great...they've done things with our university before) or Tony Romo (Texans LOVE their Cowboys!)? Colt's a great guy I'm sure...but because he is from UT and the billboard is UT-themed aimed at Texas State students (plus all the reasons mentioned above), I think this is amongst the poorest advertising decisions I've seen. I really hope the University addresses this. We don't need anything stupid to halt/slow the momentum we've gained with The Drive.

There is absolutely no real, rational reason to be offended by that billboard. Seriously. Suppose they had Jeff George on that billboard. I'm not putting down George, but he is not going to have the same effect, even in that area, as Colt McCoy does.

I'm assuming you meant Bradley George. Jeff George...people would think it's some random old man. LOL. But yeah, I understand that point and agree with you only because of the difference in how much publicity each QB has received.

I remember when I was going to school there (02-07), there was growing emphasis on school pride but there was one instance in particular in which I personally helped "vandalize" an on-campus marquee...

Before, the marquee said "Go Astros, Go Horns, Go Cowboys". This was on the night before our (then) biggest game of the year with Northwestern St. With a little imagination (and pulling letters from the other side), my friends and I tweaked the marquee just a little bit.

(Note: NwSt. fans...please don't get offended. It was all in good fun.)

Hopefully, I won't have to vandalize another such advertisement. xpeacex

TheValleyRaider
August 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM
Yeah, for a billboard, given the placement, it seems like a decision that was either A) poorly made, or B) done to attract attention

FormerPokeCenter
August 2nd, 2010, 06:28 AM
The cable company got exactly what it wanted......A lot of attention.

And, it continues to get free publicity. Seems like a pretty smart move if you ask me.

There's plenty of LSU fans in Lake Chuck and I'm pretty sure you'll see stuff with photos of Les Miles on it with eye-sight of McNeese. No biggie.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 2nd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Faux outrage in our Nation of the Knee-Jerk Offended.

The cable company paid McCoy for a regional marketing campaign (http://www.grandecom.com/BTS2010/) and then a handful of TxSt fans start complaining about a billboard to a sports writer?

xlolx

I'm not a big fan of McCoy (or cable) but it's juvenile to pump efforts to vandalize property over a 'compensated endorser'.

txstatebobcat
August 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM

And, it continues to get free publicity. Seems like a pretty smart move if you ask me.

There's plenty of LSU fans in Lake Chuck and I'm pretty sure you'll see stuff with photos of Les Miles on it with eye-sight of McNeese. No biggie.

When dozens of people, and those are just the ones I know about, are calling Grande to cancel their cable subscription. I really don't think its a great idea.

FormerPokeCenter
August 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
When dozens of people, and those are just the ones I know about, are calling Grande to cancel their cable subscription. I really don't think its a great idea.

I'm sure the actuarial department at Grande computed the loss of revenue from the 3 dozen Texas State fans who don't pull for The University of Texas and decided that the prospecting of reaching the remaining 20,000 Longhorn fans on the San Marcos campus was worth the risk ;)

txstatebobcat
August 2nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
I'm sure the actuarial department at Grande computed the loss of revenue from the 3 dozen Texas State fans who don't pull for The University of Texas and decided that the prospecting of reaching the remaining 20,000 Longhorn fans on the San Marcos campus was worth the risk ;)

Must have been way more than a few dozen, as I said those were just the ones I knew, since its been reported on the bobcatfans forum that Grande has apologized and will be taking the sign down.

Jaguar79
August 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have never understood the little school fans' love for Big State U. Maybe that's the way it is at McNeese, but LSU might as well be in Ohio when it comes to Southern fans. Cox or no one is dumb enough to place an ad with an LSU player or coach near Southern's campus or in North Baton Rouge, pretty much.

Maybe there is a smaller difference of fans between Texas State and UT, but good for those loyal Bobcat fans. You want their money, get that crap out of there.

tw_fatcat
August 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
The VP of Grande has come out this morning stating that the Billboard will be coming down ASAP.

Bobcats 1 Grande 0

MaximumBobcat
August 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM

Note to self: Don't ever hire anyone with a degree from McNeese for a marketing job. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
The VP of Grande has come out this morning stating that the Billboard will be coming down ASAP.

Will they be putting up one with Boko the Bobcat? Or will they get Brad Wright involved? I'm sure Brad will appreciate the extra $$$. ;)

CatMom07
August 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hey folks, it's not the whole thing that is a slap in the face. It is that they stated it was a state wide campaign, but If this is so why is the header "Hey Bobcats"? Does one in College Station or Lubbock or Houston top off with Hey Bobcats? I doubt it. I bet they didn't put one up that had Hey Aggies or Hey Raiders or Hey Cougars, now did they?
To others, I would bet Brad George or Barrick Nealy would be more recognizable than you give SM credit for. Or TT's suggestion with Boko. Or Brad Wright

"Get it "Wright" Go Grande"

See how easy that is?

And did any of you actually catch that this is a San Marcos based company?
Anyway, it's coming down now, so they finally got the message that it was unacceptable.

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
"Get it "Wright" Go Grande"

Got to love names like that, in which you can utilize the name of a head coach perfectly!

And did any of you actually catch that this is a San Marcos based company?
Anyway, it's coming down now, so they finally got the message that it was unacceptable.

I was amused that 'GrandeCom' - which I would presume to be a representative of the company, came forward and posted on BobcatFans.com. I wonder if Randy Stevens of the San Marcos Daily Record will say anything additional? Have the TXST fans been hitting him up with e-mails?

YouCanUseaMint
August 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Got to love names like that, in which you can utilize the name of a head coach perfectly!

I was amused that 'GrandeCom' - which I would presume to be a representative of the company, came forward and posted on BobcatFans.com. I wonder if Randy Stevens of the San Marcos Daily Record will say anything additional? Have the TXST fans been hitting him up with e-mails?

I actually just received an email saying it was indeed taken down today attached with another apology (I sent quite a few emails to quite the list of individuals).

Like I said on BobcatFans, I am not asking Grande to do a statewide campaign on Brad Wright (wouldn't do one myself), but don't stick a sign in your home town saying "Hey Bobcats, get 'hooked' like Colt McCoy." Thats just disrespectful.

I am pleased with their response and am no longer considering Time Warner (thank the lord).

Bearkats94
August 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Well when its 30-40 miles apart from UT to Texas State it will be some over lap. Sam has signs in the Bryan/College Station area.

JohnStOnge
August 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Are there more LSU fans than McNeese fans on your campus?

I would not be surpised if there aren't at least just as many. A lot of people around Lake Charles and at McNeese are both LSU and McNeese fans. Some McNeese fans don't like that but it's the truth. It would not surprise me at all if someone did a scientific poll of McNeese students where they asked "Are you an LSU fan" and "Are you a McNeese fan" and got at least as many people saying they are LSU fans as saying they are McNeese fans.

JohnStOnge
August 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
The University has spent years/decades separating itself from the "UT Wannabe" image

I think stuff like changing the name from Southwest Texas State to Texas State and pushing for FBS football contributes to the wannabe image. If your school has been trying to separate itself from a wannabe image it sure hasn't been doing a very good job of it. I'm not saying that as smack. It's just honestly the impression I think it creates. It comes off as a school not comfortable in its own skin...with what it is...trying to be something it's not. Very similar to the impression created by the University of Southwestern Louisiana changing its name to University of Louisiana at Lafayette then trying to become known as the University of Louisiana.

Bobcat94
August 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
http://bobcatfans.com/

Great job Bobcats!!! xsmileyclapx That didn't take long!! xsmileyclapx

MaximumBobcat
August 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I think stuff like changing the name from Southwest Texas State to Texas State and pushing for FBS football contributes to the wannabe image. If your school has been trying to separate itself from a wannabe image it sure hasn't been doing a very good job of it. I'm not saying that as smack. It's just honestly the impression I think it creates.

xrolleyesx

You're in the minority with that particular opinion.

panama
August 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Craziest statement I have read in at least a week on here.

I think stuff like changing the name from Southwest Texas State to Texas State and pushing for FBS football contributes to the wannabe image. If your school has been trying to separate itself from a wannabe image it sure hasn't been doing a very good job of it. I'm not saying that as smack. It's just honestly the impression I think it creates. It comes off as a school not comfortable in its own skin...with what it is...trying to be something it's not. Very similar to the impression created by the University of Southwestern Louisiana changing its name to University of Louisiana at Lafayette then trying to become known as the University of Louisiana.

tw_fatcat
August 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Craziest statement I have read in at least a week on here.
Read more of his posts when it comes to Texas State. They are all quite entertaining.

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM

Exactly! The mindset is identical to the USL crowd. Instead of building the name brand recognition through excellence on the field, USL (and SWTSU for that matter) want to find a shortcut to it through creative name changes and advertisement campaigns.

I've got a novel concept for them. Howabout fielding a consistent winner?

It's not like the San Marcos school doesn't have at least SOME experience in that regard: SWTSU got mucho respect in the 70's and early 80's when it was making it's run to two Division II national titles.

And, when LBJ was President, everybody knew wherre SWTSU was.

Now? Who cares?

What've the Bobcats done since the Division II days? I mean, aside from having one memorable season every 20 years ago? Nadda..

But that hasn't stopped them from a vainglorious pursuit of a national identity on something they're not. I still chuckle over the acquisition of the rights to the name "Southwest Conference" and the belief that Texas, A&M, Rice, Baylor, SMU and TCU would all willingly come back in the fold, giving Texas State the seat of honor at the head of the table.

Holy Delusions of Grandeur, Batman. It's just like USL's Quixotic jousting with legislative windmills in their quest to become Louisiana's "flagship" university.

Of course, if the world wasn't filled with over-reaching social climbers who aren't at ease in their own skin, who would we have to laugh at? ;)

panama
August 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Hang in there TX State. All of these haters from sub 10,000 enrollment schools who have peaked are going to keep hating because they know where youre headed.

YouCanUseaMint
August 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Why do you worry about what we are doing? We recognized we haven't done much since the old days and are trying to change that by rebranding ourselves. We are making strides on the academic front, as well as doing what we can on the athletic front. We are pouring money into athletic facilities and increasing the budget with the hope of bringing in better recruits. Once they come, we might actually get some where.

You can only do so much in a given period of time, and I think we have made significant progress these last 5-10 years.

And you really want to bring LBJ into this? Why don't you graduate a United States President and get back to me on that one..

The swift removal of this billboard only shows how far we've come..

http://bobcatfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/pride.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Why do you worry about what we are doing? We recognized we haven't done much since the old days and are trying to change that by rebranding ourselves. We are making strides on the academic front, as well as doing what we can on the athletic front. We are pouring money into athletic facilities and increasing the budget with the hope of bringing in better recruits. Once they come, we might actually get some where.

You can only do so much in a given period of time, and I think we have made significant progress these last 5-10 years.

And you really want to bring LBJ into this? Why don't you graduate a United States President and get back to me on that one..

The swift removal of this billboard only shows how far we've come..

http://bobcatfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/pride.jpg

There, you admitted it. You're trying to change perception based on rebranding. That's the crux of the whole "you're not comfortable in your own skin" perception. Win and the whole world knows your name.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when you point to a marketing decision on a billboard as a yardstick that illustrates where your football team is at, it's a pretty sad commentary on just where that is ;)

I was actually trying to give you your props on the whole LBJ thing, but since you're overly sensitive, even to that, I'll point out the obvious to you. No SWTSU graduate has ever been elected President based on the efficacy of his own candidacy.

You guys backdoored your way into that one, like you're trying to backdoor your way into National Respectibility.

For a SWTSU graduate to acheive the Nation's highest office, somebody had to die. It's just like in Football. The only way you guys excel is when it's a down year for the Louisiana schools. Have you noticed that the only times you've won the conference is when the Louisiana schools have had sub .500 records?

It would be one thing if you were consistant winners and you were trying to build your reputation that.

While I laud your efforts in pouring money into your facilities, etc, in hopes of getting better recruits, take a gander at what the Louisiana schools do with incredibly limited budgets and facilities. If we can do what we do with what we have, you guys should just be kicking the crap out of us on a daily basis.

But you don't. No amount of rebranding is going to get you respect that you didn't earn.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? ;)

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
While I laud your efforts in pouring money into your facilities, etc, in hopes of getting better recruits, take a gander at what the Louisiana schools do with incredibly limited budgets and facilities. If we can do what we do with what we have, you guys should just be kicking the crap out of us on a daily basis.

And the thing the TXST folks don't realize is that they have ALWAYS had deeper pockets than most, if not all the schools in the SLC when it comes to football - from the beginning of their tenure in the league. Despite these resources, their program has not been that successful...

While that is not a slam on TXST, I do not think many people within the SLC (on the Texas side) realize just how successful the Louisiana schools have been despite the hurdles (namely financial) that they have faced. Nor are they really aware of these challenges...

YouCanUseaMint
August 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
There, you admitted it. You're trying to change perception based on rebranding. That's the crux of the whole "you're not comfortable in your own skin" perception. Win and the whole world knows your name.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when you point to a marketing decision on a billboard as a yardstick that illustrates where your football team is at, it's a pretty sad commentary on just where that is ;)

I was actually trying to give you your props on the whole LBJ thing, but since you're overly sensitive, even to that, I'll point out the obvious to you. No SWTSU graduate has ever been elected President based on the efficacy of his own candidacy.

You guys backdoored your way into that one, like you're trying to backdoor your way into National Respectibility.

For a SWTSU graduate to acheive the Nation's highest office, somebody had to die. It's just like in Football. The only way you guys excel is when it's a down year for the Louisiana schools. Have you noticed that the only times you've won the conference is when the Louisiana schools have had sub .500 records?

It would be one thing if you were consistant winners and you were trying to build your reputation that.

But you don't. No amount of rebranding is going to get you respect that you didn't earn.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? ;)

Obviously there is not point in arguing here because you have your mind made up.

And let me revise my statement about LBJ, why don't you get back to me when yall graduate an elected President based on the efficacy of someone else's candidacy. See? Even when you put it into those terms, you still come short.

Keep hating, I don't mind. It only shows your true insecurity. xcoffeex

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Do you really wanna talk about LBJ and elections? If it weren't for George Parr, Luis Salas and 202 dead residents of Precinct 13 in Jim Wells County, nobody would have ever heard to Lyndon Baines Johnson ;)

Great, you guys are famous because a notorious fraud backdoored his way into national office! Congrats! ;)

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Why has this (ONCE AGAIN) turned into a Texas State hating thread? Jeez, it's one thing to not understand the magnitude of what this event represents with regard to the direction of our fan base and school (which I don't expect you to understand because you're not directly involved), but it's another to degrade a school for making strides and downplaying the successes we have had (though few, but meaningful nonetheless) "because the Louisiana schools were bad that year." Really? Just for the record, we weren't terrible.

Some of you people are sad. You're the type of people who go to weddings and take bets on when the divorce will occur.

Get a life.

If an event such as this were to happen at your school or any other FCS school, I know for sure I would be congratulating you guys. So many haters in the world!

But whatever. Time to get back to work. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Some of you people are sad. You're the type of people who go to weddings and take bets on when the divorce will occur.

Get a life. If an event such as this were to happen at your school, I know for sure I would be congratulating you guys. But whatever.

There are only two schools that I know of, where something like this would spark a controversy: SWTSU and USL....maybe three if you add Georgia State's overreaching social climbers into the mix. Same mindset, same supercilliousness about names...

If you want the whole world to know your name, then use your assets wisely and win consistently. That'll go a long way toward changing the perception that apparently bothers you so much.

If you guys WEREN'T overly sensitive about public perceptions, that is if you WERE comfortable in your own skins, would you feel the need to post such a shrill reply? I think the answer is obvious ;)

If you were comfortable in your own skin, you'd simply be content with taking care of business...Since you guys haven't showed an ability to do that consistently, you're focused on gaining respectability through rebranding, rather than the superiority of your product.

It's a simple concept, really ;)

YouCanUseaMint
August 3rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
There are only two schools that I know of, where something like this would spark a controversy: SWTSU and USL....maybe three if you add Georgia State's overreaching social climbers into the mix. Same mindset, same supercilliousness about names...

If you want the whole world to know your name, then use your assets wisely and win consistently. That'll go a long way toward changing the perception that apparently bothers you so much.

If you guys WEREN'T overly sensitive about public perceptions, that is if you WERE comfortable in your own skins, would you feel the need to post such a shrill reply? I think the answer is obvious ;)

If you were comfortable in your own skin, you'd simply be content with taking care of business...Since you guys haven't showed an ability to do that consistently, you're focused on gaining respectability through rebranding, rather than the superiority of your product.

It's a simple concept, really ;)

I am perfectly happy in my own skin and, if given the opportunity to transfer out to another Texas institution, I would stay where I am at. I have had great success at Texas State (career wise) and wouldn't want it any other way.

I am also OK with us not achieving much athletically these last 10-20 years. I cannot wait for the future though and to tell you the truth, it feels awesome to be a bobcat.

What I don't understand is your obsession with making unnecessary remarks about my school. I couldn't care less what goes on at the SLC Louisiana schools.. so, to see someone go out of there way to discount TXST's growth seems odd to me.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Stevens responds to the billboard coming down...

Now before we go any further, the squeaky wheels got greased Monday afternoon when Grande decided to take the ill-placed billboard down. The spot at CM Allen and Hopkins is nothing more than a blank white board. Bobcat fanatics spoke, and Grande listened.

And boy did they ever. A story rebutting my own was the top story on a Texas State fan site, my in-box was filled with responses, and there was even a Facebook page created about the topic.

That said, perhaps I underestimated the frenzied fervor a number of you Bobcat fans exhibit.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1778833107/Opinion-Squeaky-wheels-greased-Grande-takes-down-billboard

FormerPokeCenter
August 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Who cares about your growth? That's not a yardstick of where your program is, except - of course - to illustrate a certain level of underacheivement.

Other programs in the SLC do more with less. That's an indisputable fact.

You want to be taken seriously as an FCS power. So much so, that you've undertaken proactive marketing campaigns to change perceptions about your school. The objection to UT football hero Colt McCoy being seen in a billboard on the SWTSU campus is evidence of that sensitivity about the way you're perceived.

My objections aren't with your growth, but about the sensitivity you display at every juncture when your school isn't given the respect you think it should be afforded.

In case you missed the obvious, this is a FCS football message board. If you want to be taken seriously here, WIN consistently.

It's a very simple cause and effect analysis:

Winning consistently = perception problem solved.
Unerachieve despite bountiful resourses = perception problem

Your reply indicates that you're a student.

Now I understand the nature of the disconnect...

YouCanUseaMint
August 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Who cares about your growth? That's not a yardstick of where your program is, except - of course - to illustrate a certain level of underacheivement.

Other programs in the SLC do more with less. That's an indisputable fact.

You want to be taken seriously as an FCS power. So much so, that you've undertaken proactive marketing campaigns to change perceptions about your school. The objection to UT football hero Colt McCoy being seen in a billboard on the SWTSU campus is evidence of that sensitivity about the way you're perceived.

My objections aren't with your growth, but about the sensitivity you display at every juncture when your school isn't given the respect you think it should be afforded.

In case you missed the obvious, this is a FCS football message board. If you want to be taken seriously here, WIN consistently.

It's a very simple cause and effect analysis:

Winning consistently = perception problem solved.
Unerachieve despite bountiful resourses = perception problem

Your reply indicates that you're a student.

Now I understand the nature of the disconnect...

You're right, I am a student. And if that is the reason why I fail to comprehend your snarky remarks, then so be it. There is more to a university than its athletic program; I get that this is a football board, but if I recall correctly, you're the one who brought up LBJ - a topic completely unrelated to FCS football. What I was getting at in my original post was that we are not only working to improve our athletics (facilities, budget), but also our academics. An improvement in both will help make Texas State more recognized.

Again, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I am OK with Grande using McCoy in a state-wide marketing campaign. He is a respectable Texan and has done a lot on a national scene. I just found the wording and placement to be disrespectful to the university in their backyard (you might think it was a smart move, which is also ok, but I am not going to give my business to a company that lacks respect for my university). Obviously, they agreed and swiftly took it down.

I also never said a thing about the other La SLC programs other than how I couldn't care less about them. I will give you a xbowx for doing more with less money. But so what.. I would never want to go to McNeese for an education. I actually drove through Louisiana earlier this summer and was really unimpressed with what I saw. Plus, with the extra budget cuts yall are facing, I would hate to see the aftermath of the educational scene. You'll be happy to know that I will never be moving there..

Look man, I don't want to get into a pissing contest on here. If you want to know who has been more successful in FCS football these last 10 years, then I have no problem saying McNeese.

bjtheflamesfan
August 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Ok...this has certainly jumped the shark...the billboard was taken down so consider this case...closed

Cocky
August 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I feel for you guys. You can always find Mark Richt and UGA crap in some advertising in Statesboro. UGA and UT are probably the hardest programs to get out from under in their respective states in the country.

Ever been to Alabama?