PDA

View Full Version : Source: McInerney to be next CCSU coach

aceinthehole
January 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
A high-ranking source close to the university told The New Britain Herald that Jeff McInerney will be named as the school’s new head coach later this week.

The 45-year-old McInerney was last the defensive coordinator at Rhode Island, and has been at 13 different schools in his 24-year career. Most notably, McInerney was an assistant coach at USC in the mid-90’s and has worked at Duke, Oregon State, Tulsa and UNLV.

The South Windsor (Conn.) graduate made his name in part by serving as the co-defensive coordinator at Georgia Southern when it won the I-AA national championship in 1990.

New Britain Herald: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15899128&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

Hartford Courant: http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-centralcoach0110.artjan10,0,6299735.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-college

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
13 different schools in 24 years?

Think he can provide some consistency and stay at CCSU?

Pards Rule
January 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
WOW...Did he have a moving van parked at his house?

aceinthehole
January 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
From the CCSU website:

Jan. 11, 2006

New Britain, CT - Central Connecticut State University President John W. Miller and Director of Athletics Charles (CJ) Jones announced today that the University will host a press conference on Friday morning, January 13, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. to introduce the University's new head football coach. The press conference will take place in the lobby of Kaiser Hall on the campus of CCSU. The campus and local community are invited to attend.

Brad82
January 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
This is the best news for Rhode Island football in 2 years!

aceinthehole
January 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
From www.ccsubluedevils.com

Former URI Defensive Coordinator Becomes the School's 12th Head Football Coach

Jan. 13, 2006

New Britain, CT - Central Connecticut State University President John W. Miller and Director of Athletics Charles Jones announced on Friday that Jeff McInerney has been named the University's new head football coach. McInerney joins the Blue Devils after spending the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Rhode Island.

"We are very pleased to have a coach of Jeff McInerney's stature come to lead our football program. The lessons he has learned being an assistant for some of the finest football coaches in the country, including John Robinson at the University of Southern California and the University of Nevada Las Vegas, will serve him well as he steps up to be a head coach," Miller said earlier this week. "I am impressed with what people have to say about him as a person, and with the quality of the defense he has prepared against us at Central Connecticut for the last two years while at the University of Rhode Island. He has connections to Connecticut as a graduate of South Windsor High School and as a recruiter for a fine program in a nearby state, which both make him all the more attractive to us."

McInerney becomes the 12th head coach in the 67 years of Central Connecticut football. The program holds an all-time record of 256-305-22 (.458). The Blue Devils posted an 8-2 record in 2004 and a 7-4 record last season, winning a share of the NEC title in both seasons. McInerney replaces two-year head coach Tom Masella, who resigned in December to become the head coach at Fordham.

"Jeff has been involved with many successful college football programs and learned from many great coaches," Jones said. "We are confident that he is the right choice to lead our football program and to continue the success we have enjoyed in each of the last two seasons. We are excited to welcome Jeff, his wife Leslie, and his two children, Ryan (19) and Amy (15) into the Central Connecticut football family."

McInerney spent the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Rhode Island. The South Windsor High School graduate has also been an assistant at Tulsa, UNLV, Oregon State, Georgia Southern and Southern California. He received his Bachelor's Degree from Slippery Rock University in 1982 and his Master's Degree from Troy State University in 1984. His first coaching job came at Slippery Rock as an undergraduate in 1981 and then as a graduate assistant coach in 1982.

"My family and I are extremely excited to join a successful football program and the community at Central Connecticut," McInerney said on Friday. "I am familiar with the football program having faced Central Connecticut in each of the last two seasons, and I know that this team can continue to play football at a high level. There is a group of players here who now know what it means to win, and we are going to build on that to maintain the solid level of football that Blue Devil fans have now become familiar with. This is a great opportunity for me and my family; I am proud to be the new head coach of this football team."

Tod
January 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
This is the best news for Rhode Island football in 2 years!

What, that as soon as they start to make some headway, they lose their DC?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Eaglegus2
January 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
This guy is a joke. He was run off from Georgia Southern. Look at the different schools he has worked.

He has to live out of a suitcase his coaching is so bad.

Good Luck!!!!!!!! :nod: