PDA

View Full Version : Cornell @ Bucknell on CBS College Sports!

Lehigh Football Nation
July 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072910aaa.html

CBS College Sports Network will televise one of the annual gridiron rivalries between the Patriot and Ivy League when Bucknell hosts Cornell on Oct. 2 at 3:30 p.m. at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium in Lewisburg.

Coming off a 4-7 season where they finished 2-4 in the Patriot League, the contest will be the Bison's second home game under new head coach Joe Susan. Bucknell returns 13 of its 22 starters for 2010. Cornell finished 2-8 last season, and will also be under the direction of a first-year head coach in Kent Austin.

Damned interesting. Could it lead to more Patriot League games on CBS College Sports? xeyebrowx

darell1976
July 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Great pickup to get on CBS-CS!!! The more FCS games on national tv the better.xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I agree it is great to get this game on TV, however they picked perhaps the most lackluster match-up of PL and IVY teams. Both were next to last in their respective league standings, and there will be about 2,000 fans at Bucknell.

crusader11
July 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
That is fantastic news that this game is being picked up, but why this game? I am assuming there may be only certain dates that are available to cover the game, or maybe the people over at CBS College Sports are that clueless. If they want to cover a Patriot/Ivy League showdown, these are much better options:

Holy Cross @ Harvard
Colgate @ Princeton
Lafayette @ Pennsylvania
Lafayette @ Princeton
Lafayette vs. Harvard
Lehigh @ Harvard

Basically, the match up features the second worst team in the PL, and either the worst or second worst team in the Ivy League.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
That is fantastic news that this game is being picked up, but why this game? I am assuming there may be only certain dates that are available to cover the game, or maybe the people over at CBS College Sports are that clueless. If they want to cover a Patriot/Ivy League showdown, these are much better options:

They're picking up the game, in all likelihood because they have an open window they need to fill on October 2, not some yearning for a PL-Ivy matchup.

Either that, or they passed on the Georgetown-Colgate game.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm beginning to confuse DFW Hoya with Sader87.

If they're going to show a PL/IL contest, I'd like to have it at a PL venue. Princeton@Lehigh and Harvard@Lafayette will be the best draws with likely 10,000+ for each.

Bucknell has three IL games in a row (Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn), all at home, but I'm concerned about the fans finding Lewisburg in numbers. Competition from nearby Penn State is a factor - The Nittany Lions play Kent State at home 9/18 (Dartmouth Game), visit Iowa on 10/2 (Cornell game) and host Illinois on 10/9 (Penn game). Cornell is the best attendance bet of the three because Penn State will be away so maybe that was a factor in picking that game.

Still not sure if the Bison can get more than 7,000 for Cornell but I hope I'm wrong.

Sader87
July 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm beginning to confuse DFW Hoya with Sader87.

If they're going to show a PL/IL contest, I'd like to have it at a PL venue. Princeton@Lehigh and Harvard@Lafayette will be the best draws with likely 10,000+ for each.

Bucknell has three IL games in a row (Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn), all at home, but I'm concerned about the fans finding Lewisburg in numbers. Competition from nearby Penn State is a factor - The Nittany Lions play Kent State at home 9/18 (Dartmouth Game), visit Iowa on 10/2 (Cornell game) and host Illinois on 10/9 (Penn game). Cornell is the best attendance bet of the three because Penn State will be away so maybe that was a factor in picking that game.

Still not sure if the Bison can get more than 7,000 for Cornell but I hope I'm wrong.

If there are 7,000 at Christy M for this affair, I'll eat my purple helmet.

DFW HOYA
July 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
If there are 7,000 at Christy M for this affair, I'll eat my purple helmet.

If Bucknell promoted it correctly, relocate as many students/ fans on the opposite (read=TV viewing) side of the field as humanly possible, and make it a community event and not just another game, this could be a huge opportunity.

Conversely, if CBS-CS pans across 8,000 empty seats at the game, Lewisburg will not see its likes ever again.

Frankly, there's more to see in the PL than just Lafayette and Lehigh. Lewisburg is a PL venue.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Frankly, there's more to see in the PL than just Lafayette and Lehigh. Lewisburg is a PL venue.

And it has three home games vs. IL from which to choose, as noted. Just replying to Crusader11's post - Fordham, & HC don't have home games vs. the IL this year. Of course Christy Mathewson is a PL venue, just like Multi Sp . . . err . . .

Never mind.

Sader87
July 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
And it has three home games vs. IL from which to choose, as noted. Just replying to Crusader11's post - Fordham, & HC don't have home games vs. the IL this year. Of course Christy Mathewson is a PL venue, just like Multi Sp . . . err . . .

Never mind.

Actually the Brown Bruins come to Fitton on Oct 9th....this has been a very good rivalry through the years and a much better tilt than Cornell@Bucknell. It's actually the closest thing to a "backyard brawl" in the PL-IL as they are the two closest institutions geographically from both leagues. This is also a game that could easily draw 10,000+ given a good start by both teams, good weather etc.

Bogus Megapardus
July 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Actually the Brown Bruins come to Fitton on Oct 9th....this has been a very good rivalry through the years and a much better tilt than Cornell@Bucknell. It's actually the closest thing to a "backyard brawl" in the PL-IL as they are the two closest institutions geographically from both leagues. This is also a game that could easily draw 10,000+ given a good start by both teams, good weather etc.

I missed that one. Fitton has the best "big time" feel in the PL and this would be a great televised game. It could get 10,000+ easily. (Not sure that anything tops the proximity of Fordham and Columbia, though.)

TheValleyRaider
July 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I agree it is great to get this game on TV, however they picked perhaps the most lackluster match-up of PL and IVY teams. Both were next to last in their respective league standings, and there will be about 2,000 fans at Bucknell.

This.

I have to think it's because this was the only game that didn't already have some kind of broadcast agreement, but it should be fun to see. Now to see if I get CBS College Sports.... xreadx

ngineer
July 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
True. The Princeton/Lehigh game should have at least 10,000, with Princeton in close proximity and a new coach, hopefully, bringing some excitement to their program. Plus, if we can pull off the big upset the week before, the home crowd will be very juiced! I don't recall Harvard travelling that well, though I would expect a big turnout on the south side of the stadium at Fisher.

ngineer
July 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hopefully, BU will make a big push to get a good crowd there..Maybe an alumni day, or a free beer to all students who dane to walk the quarter mile from their dorms to Christy Mathewson. Nice little stadium and, if full, would be a nice backdrop. My daughter graduated from Bucknell and she agrees that for whatever reason, the student body just doesn't get into football as opposed to the basketball. When Lehigh has travelled to Lewisburg, we have had, on some occasions had more people in the stands than the Bison, and on the other occasions it was about even. Hard to understand.

DFW HOYA
July 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM
When Lehigh has travelled to Lewisburg, we have had, on some occasions had more people in the stands than the Bison, and on the other occasions it was about even. Hard to understand.

Not really. Students make up their minds quickly about which sports they will support and which ones they won't. Think of Lehigh--why did men's basketball average just 915 a game last season (not counting the Lafayette games)? Because students didn't consider it a priority.

When Georgetown was marooned in the NIT early this decade, student attendance at games was in the low hundreds. There are now over 2,400 season ticket holders (not counting walk-ups) a game in the student section. Conversely, when GU students see the temporary seats and the gravel of the MSF and a team that, ten years later, still can't get recruits to play with Patriot League teams, how many games will they want to sit through in October and November?

ngineer
July 31st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Not really. Students make up their minds quickly about which sports they will support and which ones they won't. Think of Lehigh--why did men's basketball average just 915 a game last season (not counting the Lafayette games)? Because students didn't consider it a priority.

When Georgetown was marooned in the NIT early this decade, student attendance at games was in the low hundreds. There are now over 2,400 season ticket holders (not counting walk-ups) a game in the student section. Conversely, when GU students see the temporary seats and the gravel of the MSF and a team that, ten years later, still can't get recruits to play with Patriot League teams, how many games will they want to sit through in October and November?

If we were talking about the pros I'd fully agree, but the college football experience, from a campus standpoint, is one of those few events where the whole school can gather. Besides the game, there is the camaraderie, the hijinks, and just 'blowing off steam' together. It is, also, somewhat a reflection of society where people are disinclined to 'get together' in large groups. People are more self-centered with their techonolgy taking over for ''connecting" with other. Having to actually get up and "go" somewhere to meet people? Horrors! To me going to a small college football game is like spending the day at the fair. Lots to do and see. I also agree that there seems to be more of a divide at schools in the PL between those students who support one another in athletics/events and the 'nerds' who will be found either in the library at 2 p.m. on Saturday or ensconced in their room with their video games. Bucknell's situation with the stadium so close to the dorms and a beautiful setting just makes me scratch my head.

Sader87
July 31st, 2010, 09:36 AM
If we were talking about the pros I'd fully agree, but the college football experience, from a campus standpoint, is one of those few events where the whole school can gather. Besides the game, there is the camaraderie, the hijinks, and just 'blowing off steam' together. It is, also, somewhat a reflection of society where people are disinclined to 'get together' in large groups. People are more self-centered with their techonolgy taking over for ''connecting" with other. Having to actually get up and "go" somewhere to meet people? Horrors! To me going to a small college football game is like spending the day at the fair. Lots to do and see. I also agree that there seems to be more of a divide at schools in the PL between those students who support one another in athletics/events and the 'nerds' who will be found either in the library at 2 p.m. on Saturday or ensconced in their room with their video games. Bucknell's situation with the stadium so close to the dorms and a beautiful setting just makes me scratch my head.

Hard to figure...back in my day (said in my best Dana Carvey "Grumpy Old Man" voice) the football game (and the surrounding tail-gating fields) was THE place to be on a Saturday afternoon for students (as well as alumni and locals). I think in HC's case the reasons for the lower attendence are primarily two-fold: a distinct drop off in football success throughout the 90's into the 00's as well as the implementation of draconian rules and regulations with regards to tail-gating.

ngineer
July 31st, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hard to figure...back in my day (said in my best Dana Carvey "Grumpy Old Man" voice) the football game (and the surrounding tail-gating fields) was THE place to be on a Saturday afternoon for students (as well as alumni and locals). I think in HC's case the reasons for the lower attendence are primarily two-fold: a distinct drop off in football success throughout the 90's into the 00's as well as the implementation of draconian rules and regulations with regards to tail-gating.

That's become a big issue at Lehigh with severe clampdown on the pregame tailgating by the students and even giving breathalyzers to students who wanted to ride the buses over to the stadium. The increased harrassment has lead to a reduction in attendance--not all by itself, as some of the issues noted above also apply.

Bogus Megapardus
August 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
No excuses at Lafayette - the place is an always has been full of engineers and nerds who go to science and engineering labs on Saturdays. But you have to walk right past Fisher to get to the lab (or back to McKeen/Gates/Soles or whatever). It's impossible not to see/hear the game as you're walking by and drop in for at least some of it because it's right there in front of you. Students even bring books to the game - but so what? That's just the kind of place it is, no denying it. There's never been much of a tailgating tradition in Easton because there's no parking lot to speak of (except the deck which requires a pass). There certainly has been a crack down on drinking and a purge of greek like - from a high IIRC of 19 fraternities and 0 sororities to whatever is left now which I think is is 5 fraternities and 6 sororities.

Sader87
August 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
No excuses at Lafayette - the place is an always has been full of engineers and nerds who go to science and engineering labs on Saturdays. But you have to walk right past Fisher to get to the lab (or back to McKeen/Gates/Soles or whatever). It's impossible not to see/hear the game as you're walking by and drop in for at least some of it because it's right there in front of you. Students even bring books to the game - but so what? That's just the kind of place it is, no denying it. There's never been much of a tailgating tradition in Easton because there's no parking lot to speak of (except the deck which requires a pass). There certainly has been a crack down on drinking and a purge of greek like - from a high IIRC of 19 fraternities and 0 sororities to whatever is left now which I think is is 5 fraternities and 6 sororities.

...only in the Patriot League.