PDA

View Full Version : from Lafayette to the NFL...

CFBfan
July 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I read a nice article this mornin on Blake Constanza a former Leopard standout by way of Ramapo HS in NJ who is now with the Cleveland Browns and was All Pro Special Teams last year.
Who are the other active PL players now in the NFL??

Go...gate
July 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Nick Hennesey of Colgate is with the Bills, I believe.

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM
John Skelton from Fordham as well.

At anytime there are about 3-5 Patriot Leaguer's in the NFL (historically).

CFBfan
July 29th, 2010, 01:04 PM
yes, i knew about Skelton. The kid from Lafayette has made a bit of a name for himself though and I was wondering if any other former PL's have had any "success".
Did you know/see Costanza play? (I assume he's not realated to George)

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM
yes, i knew about Skelton. The kid from Lafayette has made a bit of a name for himself though and I was wondering if any other former PL's have had any "success".
Did you know/see Costanza play? (I assume he's not realated to George)

There have been guys like Richie Owens and a guy with a muslim sounding name who played RB from Lehigh who had pretty good NFL careers.

I played with Blake, he looks nothing like George. He is an incredibly tough kid who loves to play football and makes the most of his talent. He is easy to root for.

CFBfan
July 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
thanks, the George thing was just some bad humor. They had a picture of him in the article with a nice spread. From all accounts he is a very high energy, full of heart, tough kid. Let's hope the PL can crank a few more out.

carney2
July 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Blake Costanza and his 2004-2005 LB running mates, All-American Maurice Bennett and Dion Witherspoon began a tradition of heard-nosed defense led by big hitting, full pursuit linebackers. I don't know what Blake considers his finest hour at Lafayette, but I thought his final regular season game against arch enemy Lehigh in 2005 (the game known as The Big Hurt in Lafayette-Lehigh lore because of a 4th and 10 TD catch by RB Jonathon Hurt in the final minute) was truly outstanding. Blake dogged Lehigh QB (and serious running threat) Sedale Threatt everywhere he went. He hit him when he had the ball. He hit him when he didn't. Threatt never had time to find receivers or running lanes. Blake knew what kind of gum Sedale was chewing. I thought at the time, and still do, that it was a real disservice that Costanza did not get the Player of the Game trophy, but it always goes to a QB or RB.