PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Bowl - Implications on FCS & Playoffs

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM
There's a post or few about the Legacy Bowl on the MEAC Fan Board (http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz) that insinuate that it was a 12-1 vote by the MEAC Presidents in favor of the Legacy Bowl. Those sources over there are saying that Florida A&M was the lone dissent...

According to earlier information, the SWAC Championship Game would exist this year, as would the MEAC's automatic bid to the playoffs. The first game would be scheduled for Dec. 17, 2011 at a site to be determined...

Still no confirmation...

A just as important question out of all of this, if it is confirmed ...

Does this mean that the door for the Pioneer League to receive an automatic bid to the playoffs has opened? Seems the Pioneer can slide into the MEAC's spot and not impact the 20-team bracket. Is this correct in some of your estimations?

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
If the Pioneer replaces the MEAC, here is a quick look at the 2009 GPI of the conferences IN and OUT of the playoff picture. Out is in bold as far as automatic qualifiers...

Conference Ranking:
Rank, League, Total Average

1. Colonial Athletic Association (24.71)
2. Southern Conference (29.42)
3. Big Sky Conference (30.54)
4. Great West Conference (32.40)
5. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.68)
6. Southland Conference (42.58)
7. Patriot League (49.90)
8. Big South Conference (51.16)
9. Ivy League (51.30)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (52.96)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (60.05)
12. Southwestern Athletic Conference (64.75)
13. Northeast Conference (65.45)
14. Pioneer Football League (69.74)
15. Independents (73.25)

It does not seem as the Great West is much closer to getting an automatic qualifier, but the teams who have fit the mold of an at-large team have gotten in. The MEAC would be hard pressed to get their No. 2 team into the playoffs under the 16-team bracket, but the 20-team bracket provides for additional at-large spots that could be open to a 9-2 MEAC team getting in. The SWAC has not got in an at-large in for some time. The Independent pool is changing with ODU heading to the CAA with both NCCU and SSU into the MEAC.

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Update on the MEAC board...

One poster claims, "Calls to two top administrators at two different MEAC schools said that an actual vote has NOT taken place, but a "straw poll" resulted in that 12-1 tally. The actual voting will take place soon, so there is still time to voice your disapproval of the "Jim Crow Bowl."

Again, no confirmation...

WestCoastAggie
July 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
When the Legacy bowl happens, MEAC teams are going to schedule the same way they do now so you will most likely never see another MEAC team in the playoffs again until the entire structure is changed. The MEAC will have a 9-10 game mandate thus ending games against the other conferences for the most part. I know A&T will probably not schedule anyone else besides WSSU for the non conference game because that game brings in entirely too much money for A&T.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
According to one FAMUan, the ACC and Big East contacted them already.

WestCoastAggie
July 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Just don't go winless in the Playoffs PFL. Be better than the MEAC & SWAC. xthumbsupx

BTW: If this doesn't work, does anyone think the MEAC will ever be able to get another or will the MEAC just have to hope and pray for our champ to get an At-Large Bid?

bluedog
July 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM

One poster claims, "Calls to two top administrators at two different MEAC schools said that an actual vote has NOT taken place, but a "straw poll" resulted in that 12-1 tally. The actual voting will take place soon, so there is still time to voice your disapproval of the "Jim Crow Bowl."

Again, no confirmation...

The Jim Crow laws were state and local laws in the United States enacted between 1876 and 1965. They mandated de jure racial segregation in all public facilities, with a supposedly "separate but equal" status for black Americans. In reality, this led to treatment and accommodations that were usually inferior to those provided for white Americans, systematizing a number of economic, educational and social disadvantages.

Y'all gowan and listen to massa ,he's knows what's best for y'all, he's gonna educate ya and lead y'all to gloryland

That $3.5 mil is just chewing at yor craw huh? xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Model Citizen
July 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
When does the committee award auto bids for 2011?

Model Citizen
July 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
13. Northeast Conference (65.45)
14. Pioneer Football League (69.74)

Given the results of the Gridiron Classic, this rating provides little insight on the relative strength of likely playoff teams. Maybe if you're comparing 7th place teams it would useful.

TexasTerror
July 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
When does the committee award auto bids for 2011?

I would think it would be July 1 of each year - if not Aug 1. Didn't we see a few articles from the NEC schools this week re: the playoff AQ?

BTW: If this doesn't work, does anyone think the MEAC will ever be able to get another or will the MEAC just have to hope and pray for our champ to get an At-Large Bid?

The MEAC could get an AQ back since they qualify, it would just lead to another expansion of the playoffs and who knows - perhaps the Great West will be eligible by then too and we can just go to 24 teams.

mikebigg
July 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM

One poster claims, "Calls to two top administrators at two different MEAC schools said that an actual vote has NOT taken place, but a "straw poll" resulted in that 12-1 tally. The actual voting will take place soon, so there is still time to voice your disapproval of the "Jim Crow Bowl." Again, no confirmation...

Mods please step in and delete this racist comment!!!!

OL FU
July 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
yeah I think the Jim Crowe reference was over the top and historically inaccurate. (Sounds like I am talking about Michael Steele).

I have always said, schools have to operate in their own interest. With that said, I wish the MEAC would stay in the playoffs.

lilrj1919
July 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mods please step in and delete this racist comment!!!!

I don't want it deleted, i like to see how people really feel. He's showing his true colors that's all.xnodx

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I don't want it deleted, i like to see how people really feel. He's showing his true colors that's all.xnodx

You'll note that I quoted a fan on the MEAC board and it was not my own personal opinion. At the time of the post, it was one of the few and definitely the most outspoken. There are plenty more if you'd like me to quote some...

OL FU
July 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
You'll note that I quoted a fan on the MEAC board and it was not my own personal opinion. At the time of the post, it was one of the few and definitely the most outspoken. There are plenty more if you'd like me to quote some...

Well that screws up my Michael Steele analogy. He wasn't quoting anybody :-)

lilrj1919
July 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM

My bad TT, i would just expect something like that to come from you just from reading many of your posts on this site and swacpage.com

gram4life
July 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
My bad TT, i would just expect something like that to come from you just from reading many of your posts on this site and swacpage.com

Even though TT is a SWAC hater, I wouldn't expect him to use those terms. I will give him that much credit.

mikebigg
July 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I stand corrected, however even repeating such foolishness is unneccessary!

BgJag
July 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I come to this site occassionally to keep up and checkout the word on FCS football. Today I find nothing new.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Update on the MEAC board (looks like the posters have submitted)...

Have y'all all simply resigned yourselves to the fact that this is a Done Deal ... Without haven't even so much as TRIED to circumvent this from becoming a Reality ... ALREADY?

If this is the defeatist stance y'all are gonna take ...

"Then jus' maybe The Legacy Bowl is JUST what y'all deserve!"

darell1976
July 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
So the odds are good for a GWFC team to get in the playoffs but what are the odds of one hosting a playoff game??

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
So the odds are good for a GWFC team to get in the playoffs but what are the odds of one hosting a playoff game??

I think the GWFC teams could host one if they come through that brutal schedule of theirs. Several GWFC teams schedule themselves out of the playoffs and it probably has to do with the financial difficulties of being in the 'west' in FCS and/or the challenges of scheduling with so many open weeks.

darell1976
July 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think the GWFC teams could host one if they come through that brutal schedule of theirs. Several GWFC teams schedule themselves out of the playoffs and it probably has to do with the financial difficulties of being in the 'west' in FCS and/or the challenges of scheduling with so many open weeks.

I would think to host more than one you would have to have a big year like NDSU had during their transition year. Well we have this season and next season to continue to sit on the sidelines and wait.

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Has there been any additional word from the Pioneer League pertaining to gaining an automatic qualifier? Seems it'd be a point after attempt for the Pioneer once the MEAC does not renew their AQ application ahead of the 2011 season...???

UAalum72
July 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Not for this year. For 2011 we'll probably find out next June. Per the
Report of the NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet June 15-16, 2010 (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/DI_Champs_Sports_Mgmt_Cab/2010/June%202010/Final%20Report%206-16-10.pdf) , the 2010 lineup was just named (page 11) :

b. Football Championship Committee. The 2010 Football Championship: Big Sky Conference, Big South Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Missouri Valley Football Conference, Northeast Conference (NEC), Ohio Valley Conference, The Patriot League, Southern Conference and Southland Conference.

There is also a clause for the 'earned-access' which I guess now applies to the PFL since the NEC and BSoC now have autobids. They lower the ranking needed to 20 because the field is larger. This also gives an opening in case of a late change of mind by the SWAC or Ivyxrolleyesx (page 14)

(2) The cabinet also agreed to amend the championship earned-access criteria for the champion of a conference that is eligible for, but does not receive automatic qualification so that the average rank threshold moves from 16 to 20.

The committee also specified the bracket, ruling the first TWO rounds will account for geography:

(1) The cabinet agreed to amend the football championship selection, seeding, bracketing and hosting policies to accommodate the expansion of the bracket from 16 to 20 teams. It was noted that the best 12 teams would receive a bye as determined using the same criteria the committee uses to select teams for championship; the number of seeded teams will increase from four to five, consistent with the cabinet's policy to seed 25 percent of the bracket; opponents in both the first and second rounds will be paired according to geographic proximity (although teams from the same conference would not be matched against each other in any game that is the first game for both teams); and the minimum financial guarantee will be $30,000 for the first round, $30,000 for the second round, $40,000 for the quarterfinals and $50,000 for the semifinals.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Some interesting stuff there!

A 5th seed which is an odd number for the pairings. But another school is going to have the opportunity to get home games for the minimum bids.

Geographic priority for the first and second round games with no games between conference foes if it isn't the first game for both teams. This now allows conference match-ups in the round of sixteen if one team is ranked 1-12 and hence playing their first game while the other school played in the opening round.

For example, Villanova is within 6-12 and Delaware is within 13-20 and wins their first game. The second round game, round of sixteen, would be Nova at Delaware (since I know who wins that bid!! xwhistlex). Similarly, you could have Weber State/Montana State/Eastern Washington going to Missoula for a second round game. Pick similar match-ups from other conferences. I know it saves money, but for me it would be disappointing not to experience playing a school you normally wouldn't play.

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Bethune Cookman's coach favors playoffs...

After B-CU's loss to New Hampshire on Saturday, Jenkins didn't sound like a man ready to pull the plug on the playoff efforts.

"Right now, all the other teams just have our number," Jenkins said. "We play some pretty good football, and I think we've proven that week in and week out. It just so happens that we don't have it set in the playoffs yet. But It's coming. It's coming, and it's sooner rather than later."

He doesn't get a vote in the Legacy Bowl issue, but he knows which way he'd lean.

"I would not be in favor of it," he said. "You gotta realize, we were one of 16 teams (in the playoffs). We win (Saturday), we're one of eight. Would that question even be asked? No. I think we're on the right course. I think we have good leadership by the conference leaders, they're gonna move us in the right direction. Like I say, those wins are coming sooner rather than later."

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/college/2010/12/06/meac-entertains-nixing-fcs-playoffs-for-new-bowl.html