PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Bowl - General SWAC Discussion

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM
This back-and-forth continues...

3rd Coast Tiger posted of a former SC State star (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70306-Former-S.C.-State-Star-Sees-Benefits-in-Legacy-Bowl) who saw the benefits in the Legacy Bowl and now I'm going to post of a SWAC head coach (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/07/five_bulldogs_named_to_the_all.html) who prefers the SWAC title game over the Legacy Bowl.

A&M coach Anthony Jones says he prefers the SWAC championship game.

"I like it because of what it provides," he said. "It gives two schools postseason play. The Legacy Bowl will help us financially and gives us a good amount of exposure, but I like the championship game. It gives two of our schools exposure the entire week. Even though I like the championship game, I'll support whatever is best for our conference."

Of course, the SWAC Commish is quoted in the same article.

"It all depends on what happens with the Legacy Bowl," Sharp said. "I'll leave that up to the presidents. If you have the Legacy Bowl, do you need to play a SWAC championship? When you're playing a game that close to the Legacy Bowl championship, then you have the risk of injury.

Guessing Duer is not too interested in the playoffs either, since the games are too close to each other and you risk injury. It's a new turn on the financial reasons that keep popping up as it relates to the Legacy Bowl - whether it is the AAMU coach's quote or others posted/shared on this board for weeks.

Gringer1
July 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I thought you couldn't have a conference championship game or it made you ineligable for the playoffs.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I thought you couldn't have a conference championship game or it made you ineligable for the playoffs.

Here's the information (with help from Jafus)...

Manual 2009-2010 NCAA Division I Manual

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/D1_Manual9d74a0b2-d10d-4587-8902-b0c781e128ae.pdf

17.9 FOOTBALL

Regulations for computing the football playing season are set forth in Bylaw 17.1. (See Figure 17-1 and Figure
17-2.)

17.9.1 Length of Playing Season. [FBS/FCS] The length of an institution’s playing season in football
shall be limited to the period of time between the start of preseason practice (see Bylaw 17.9.2) and the end of the
regular playing season (see Bylaw 17.9.4), except as provided in Bylaw 17.9.6 (out-of-season practice) (see Bylaw
17.9.3 for restrictions on first contest dates).

17.9.3 First Contest. [FBS/FCS] A member institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in football prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day (see Figure 17-2). (Revised:1/11/89, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/14/97, 5/12/05)

17.9.4 End of Playing Season. [FBS/FCS] A member institution’s last contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in football shall not be played after the second Saturday or Sunday in December, except for the following: (Revised: 1/11/89)

(a) Spring Practice Scrimmage. [FBS/FCS] One scrimmage or contest at the conclusion of spring practice, provided the game is with a team composed of bona fide alumni or students or both; and (Revised: 1/10/90)

(b) Bowl Games, NCAA and NAIA Championships, International Competition, Heritage Bowl and Gridiron Classic. [FBS/FCS] One postseason game approved by the Championships/Sports Management Cabinet or those games played in the Division I Football Championship; football contests played on a foreign tour certified by the member institution, or the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics football championships. In championship subdivision football only, a member institution’s last contest also may include participation in the Heritage Bowl or Gridiron Classic. (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/91, 1/10/92, 1/16/93, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 8/5/99, 4/27/06, 12/15/06, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

17.9.4.1 Gridiron Classic Restrictions. [FCS] All members of the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League shall participate in the Division I Football Championship, if eligible and selected for participation, and members of those conferences that participate in the Division I Football Championship also shall not participate in the Gridiron Classic during the same year. The Gridiron Classic may be conducted on the same weekend as the Division I Football Championship, provided there is no conflict in the time of the contests. (Adopted: 4/25/02, Revised: 6/2/06, 12/15/06)

17.9.4.2 Heritage Bowl Restrictions. [FCS] All members of the Mid-Eastern and Southwestern Athletic Conferences shall participate in the Division I Football Championship, if eligible and selected for participation, and members of those conferences that participate in the Division I Football Championship also shall not participate in the Heritage Bowl during the same year. The Heritage Bowl may be conducted on the same weekend as the Division I Football Championship, provided there is no conflict in the time of the contests. (Adopted:1/16/93, Revised: 8/5/99, 12/15/06)

17.9.4.3 Final Date for Bowl Game. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, the licensed postseason football bowl game in Bylaw 17.9.4-(b) must be played not later than the second Monday in January immediately following the conclusion of the regular football season. In championship subdivision football, the licensed postseason football game in Bylaw 17.9.4-(b) must be played not later than the January 2 immediately following the conclusion of the regular football season or, if January 2 falls on a Friday or a Sunday, not later than January 3 of that year. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 2/1/05, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

17.9.5 Number of Contests.

17.9.5.1 Maximum Limitations—Institutional. [FBS/FCS] In bowl subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 12 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.28.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.9.5.2. In championship subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 11 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.28.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.9.5.2. Twelve football contests shall be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November (e.g., 2013, 2014 and 2019). (Revised: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/02, 8/5/99 effective 8/1/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

17.9.5.1.1 In-Season Foreign Competition. [FBS/FCS] A member institution may play one or more of its countable contests in football in one or more foreign countries on one trip during the prescribed playing season. However, except for contests played in Canada, Mexico or on a certified foreign tour (see Bylaw 17.29), the institution may not engage in such in-season foreign competition more than once every four years.

17.9.5.1.2 Maximum Limitations—Student-Athlete. [FBS/FCS] In bowl subdivision football, an individual student-athlete may participate in each academic year in not more than 12 football contests. In championship subdivision football, an individual student-athlete may participate in each academic year in not more than 11 football contests, except that 12 football contests shall be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November (e.g., 2013, 2014 and 2019). This limitation includes those contests in which the student-athlete represents the institution in accordance with Bylaw 17.02.8, including competition as a member of the varsity, junior varsity or freshman team of the institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 8/5/99 effective 8/1/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(a) Spring Game. [FBS/FCS] One contest at the conclusion of the spring practice period [see Bylaw
17.11.4-(a)], provided the contest is against a team composed of bona fide alumni or students or both;
(Revised: 1/10/90)

(b) Heritage Bowl. [FBS/FCS] Participation in the Heritage Bowl held between representatives of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and the Southwestern Athletic Conference, which shall meet the reporting requirements set forth in Bylaw 30.9 in order to be exempt; (Adopted: 1/10/91, Revised: 1/10/92)

(c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

(d) Championship Subdivision Conference Tournament. [FCS] A conference-sponsored, season-ending postseason tournament (one between teams that are not identified until the end of the preceding regular season), not to exceed one contest for any member institution. This provision does not preclude an institution from participating in a conference-sponsored season-ending postseason tournament and additional postseason football opportunities (e.g., NCAA Championship, Heritage Bowl) during the same season; (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, Revised: 1/13/98 effective 8/1/98, 2/16/00, 12/15/06)

(e) Bowl Games. [FBS] One postseason game approved by the Championships/Sports Management Cabinet (see 30.9); (Revised: 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

(f ) NCAA Championship. [FCS] Games played in the NCAA Division I Football Championship; (Revised:12/15/06)

(g) NCAA Championship Play-In Competition. [FCS] Competition in play-in contests conducted before NCAA championships;

(h) NAIA Championships. [FBS/FCS] Games played in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) football championship;

(i) Gridiron Classic. [FBS/FCS] Participation in the Gridiron Classic held between representatives from the Northeast Conference and the Pioneer Football League; (Adopted: 4/25/02, Revised: 4/27/06)

(j) Foreign Tour. [FBS/FCS] The football games played on a foreign tour, provided the tour occurs only once in a four-year period and is conducted by the member institution in accordance with the procedures set forth in Bylaw 30.7 (see Bylaw 17.29); ...

Courtesy of - TSPN (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90932)

TSUalum05
July 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I really wish the moderators would make 1 thread with all this legacy bowl talk. Similar to what going on with that Louisiana Financial Problem Thread.

I'll be happy when the decision makers decide whether the game will come to fruition.

mikebigg
July 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I really wish the moderators would make 1 thread with all this legacy bowl talk. Similar to what going on with that Louisiana Financial Problem Thread.

I'll be happy when the decision makers decide whether the game will come to fruition.

^^^^

What he said!!!

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
An interview with Duer Sharp, the SWAC Commissioner...great job to the TSU Sports Reporter.

http://tsusportsreport.blogspot.com/2010/07/tsu-sports-reporter-spoke-with-top-man.html

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Though an unofficial survey, SWAC fans favor the Ivy League (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91106) followed by the Southland and MEAC - in that order - for opposition in the Legacy Bowl.

Surprised the SLC is doing so well in the poll and that the MEAC is not in the top two. Also surprised with the conferences selected as options. Why would the SWAC want to face the non-scholarship Pioneer League? Also surprised with the listing of the Ohio Valley (well - Tennessee State is in the league, so maybe not) and Patriot.

MsippiRattler
July 31st, 2010, 06:26 AM
The reasoniong behind the vote preference is simple. The Ivy is the only other conference that eschews the Playoffs. But we know that it will never happen because the Ivy's don't play in any post-season game, and unlike the SWAC, they don't need the money that comes with the Legacy Bowl.