PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Bowl - General MEAC Discussion

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Now that South Carolina State has confirmed the Legacy Bowl discussion, the other schools are getting inquiries from the media related to the decision...

Spartans athletic director Marty Miller confirmed Thursday that the MEAC is discussing a season-ending bowl game that would cost the conference its automatic playoff bid.

Opinions on both sides...

"Who won (the FCS title) last year? Who won the year before?" asked Jarvis. "No one knows. MEAC teams always have to go on the road. If they win, they win a playoff game. They might as well go down, make some money and win a bowl game."

"I'm not thrilled," said Elbert Scott of Portsmouth, a fan since 1969. "I'd like the competition to be keener. But it's proven not to be. (MEAC teams) do OK. And that's what you've come to expect. Just OK."

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/meac-might-ditch-automatic-playoff-bid-bowl-nsu-says

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM
And FYI - there's a poll in which individuals can express their opinion re: the Legacy Bowl.

When I viewed the results, it was 33-11 in favor of STAYING in the playoffs with not a single undecided vote.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
"I think it'd be a good thing," said Ali Scott, an incoming freshman player from Churchland. "To me, winning a bowl game, that's a game that you never forget."

Whatever side of the fence you sit on, this FOOTBALL PLAYER has spoken and speaks volume; I guess Coach Pete didn't sell him on playing for a NCAA National Championship and sold him on getting an education (what a novel concept).

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Context:

Clif Jarvis, a Spartan fan and alum who has been attending games since 1952, said he'd rather see the MEAC affiliate in a bowl. Most of his friends, he said, disagree.

"Who won (the FCS title) last year? Who won the year before?" asked Jarvis. "No one knows. MEAC teams always have to go on the road. If they win, they win a playoff game. They might as well go down, make some money and win a bowl game."

I hate when people say this, because *plenty* of people know Villanova won last year and Richmond won the year before. And what's good for the SWAC is also good for the MEAC: if playing in postseason bowls is what your ultimate goal is, why not just go to FBS instead?

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
And what's good for the SWAC is also good for the MEAC: if playing in postseason bowls is what your ultimate goal is, why not just go to FBS instead?

Both conferences can't afford FBS. Especially in the case of Florida A&M who has made an attempt to go FBS before and most of the SWAC, which is barely getting by as Div I schools (and are admittedly "bare bones" presently according to an AD at Southern).

mikebigg
July 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Context:

I hate when people say this, because *plenty* of people know Villanova won last year and Richmond won the year before. And what's good for the SWAC is also good for the MEAC: if playing in postseason bowls is what your ultimate goal is, why not just go to FBS instead?

To answer your inquiry as to why not... Because participation in the playoffs is not one of the criteria for being a part of FCS. The SWAC did not boycott the FCS playoffs, when selected teams have participated.

AggieManiac704
July 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Many people need to understand...many of the MEAC fans have no problem with the idea of making extra $$$...its the idea of leaving the playoffs is where you're losing Legacy Bowl supporters. I mean that is the main reason that the SWAC heads want this bowl. the $$$$ right?

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Many people need to understand...many of the MEAC fans have no problem with the idea of making extra $$$...its the idea of leaving the playoffs is where you're losing Legacy Bowl supporters. I mean that is the main reason that the SWAC heads want this bowl. the $$$$ right?

I wonder what the MEAC Commissioner would say about the possibility of putting the MEAC's #2 (or #3 pending at-large) team into the Legacy Bowl and allowing the top team earn an automatic spot in the playoffs. Has this option been brought up? I do not think the SWAC would be disappointed with this decision, as long as the money doesn't drop from the ESPN payout. The SWAC fans may be, especially if/when their schools lose on a consistent basis to the 'sloppy seconds', but again - as you noted, it's about the money - and that should carry through at the end of the day.

AggieManiac704
July 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM
The highest attended Heritage Bowls involved a SWAC #1 v. MEAC #2

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
The highest attended Heritage Bowls involved a SWAC #1 v. MEAC #2

And would you say that at the end of the day, it came down to match-up anyway? You have just as good a chance at the MEAC's #2 being an 'attractive name' as you do the MEAC's #1 as far as making for a good, attractive match-up. Who is to know if Florida A&M for instance is to be the #1 or #2. Saw people on TSPN and here complaining about Delaware State's inability to travel well. What happens if you end up with them? Luck of the draw for ESPN, shouldn't matter if it is #1 or #2 (especially since they are NOT playing for a HBCU national title in light of no Div II participation)!

mikebigg
July 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I wonder which schools would be interested in replacing those that depart the MEAC? I wonder if Tenn State would be interested? Could they or are they politically tied to the OVC?

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I wonder which schools would be interested in replacing those that depart the MEAC? I wonder if Tenn State would be interested? Could they or are they politically tied to the OVC?

Does the MEAC really need to replace schools that leave the league (if that happens)? With the recent additions, the MEAC is very safe as far as numbers are concerned. The MEAC is one of the bigger, if not the biggest all-sports league in FCS (when the new additions are secured within the league).

mikebigg
July 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I think they would want Tenn State and perhaps one more.

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I think they would want Tenn State and perhaps one more.

The MEAC has 11 all-sport institutions and two non-football schools. If the league loses three members, they may be interested in pursuing another member or two. If they lose two, a nine-team league is perfect because you can play eight conference games and three OOC games while determining a champion on the field. Lose one, still not bad at all and easy to work with.

I just do not see the need to expand unless they were to lose three (Delaware State, FAMU and So Carolina State come to mind)...

ALL-SPORTS
Bethune-Cookman
Delaware State
Florida A&M
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Norfolk State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central
Savannah State
South Carolina State

NON-FOOTBALL
Coppin State
Maryland-Eastern Shore

Also - wouldn't Tennessee State's travel budget escalate in the MEAC? And wouldn't their NCAA/conference funds go down in the MEAC compared to the OVC?

WMTribe90
July 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Whatever side of the fence you sit on, this FOOTBALL PLAYER has spoken and speaks volume; I guess Coach Pete didn't sell him on playing for a NCAA National Championship and sold him on getting an education (what a novel concept).

Falso choice, participation in the playoffs in no way precludes players from getting an education and a diploma. As a former player I chose a school/program where I would get a diploma with value and have a shot at the playoffs.

This is just another sad exampel of TV money eroding the competitive integrity of the game. Hampton and SCST made real progress towards getting the MEAC over the playoff hump. No doubt in my mind that SCST could have beaten a number of teams in last year's field. They got a bad break due to geography. Sad that the conference would rob their teams of the chance to compete at the highlest level of FCS.

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Falso choice, participation in the playoffs in no way precludes players from getting an education and a diploma. As a former player I chose a school/program where I would get a diploma with value and have a shot at the playoffs.

This is just another sad exampel of TV money eroding the competitive integrity of the game. Hampton and SCST made real progress towards getting the MEAC over the playoff hump. No doubt in my mind that SCST could have beaten a number of teams in last year's field. They got a bad break due to geography. Sad that the conference would rob their teams of the chance to compete at the highlest level of FCS.

Well Said!

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
A grave mistake to bring back what was the Heritage Bowl according to this columnist...

The expansion of the field might open the door for the MEAC to send an at-large team for the first time since 1999, while the SWAC has indicated no interest in returning to the dance. It also appears that the MEAC may forgo the playoffs after the 2010 season in favor of supporting the Legacy Bowl.

That would be a grave mistake.

To deny HBCU coaches and players the opportunity to compete on a larger stage for a national title (think of Prairie View last year, think of some of Pete Richardson’s Southern University teams in the 1990s and early 2000s that were kept out of the playoffs) by “settling” for a Legacy Bowl is deemed by some “a retreat” from the aspirations of those civil rights and athletic pioneers of the past who sought inclusion into the larger scheme of things in American society.

Furthermore, to not participate in the playoffs at all may actually lead to HBCU Football becoming less relevant and even less of an option for Black high school prospects, many of whom have been wooed in droves by the major institutions and now even FCS schools with great success since integration took hold in the South in the 1960s and 1970s.

For proof of this erosion in the appeal of HBCU Football to prime prospects, look no farther than recent NFL Drafts, where Black College selectees have been few and far between. The 2010 draft in fact saw just two (2) HBCU players picked in three days, while the most promising prospects were signed as free agents.

http://www.hsrn.com/index.php/hsrn-columns/24-alvin-hollins-jr/471-qto-play-or-not-to-playq-we-need-to-stay-on-the-ncaa-dance-card.html

DEX
July 17th, 2010, 11:05 PM
And would you say that at the end of the day, it came down to match-up anyway? You have just as good a chance at the MEAC's #2 being an 'attractive name' as you do the MEAC's #1 as far as making for a good, attractive match-up. Who is to know if Florida A&M for instance is to be the #1 or #2. Saw people on TSPN and here complaining about Delaware State's inability to travel well. What happens if you end up with them? Luck of the draw for ESPN, shouldn't matter if it is #1 or #2 (especially since they are NOT playing for a HBCU national title in light of no Div II participation)!

You are 100% correct. The success of HBCU Classics & Bowl Games usually comes down to matchups.

JohnStOnge
July 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Context:

I'm sure it's true that the overwhelming majority of people don't know who won the FCS national title last year but I think it's also true that the overwhelming majority of the people don't remember who won most of the FBS bowl games last year either. The idea that playing in a bowl game means a "big stage" just because it's a bowl game is a real stretch.

JohnStOnge
July 18th, 2010, 06:18 AM
From the article:

"Though winless, MEAC teams have often been competitive in the playoffs. South Carolina State lost 20-13 to eventual semifinalist Appalachian State last year."

Obviously, the MEAC has wons some I-AA/FCS playoff games.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
So no voting for NCCU and SSU OR the basketball schools...

"It's part of my responsibility to identify new revenue streams. And this is one of many revenue streams that I have brought to the table as commissioner. As you know, with the economy these days, every institution in our conference, their states are facing tremendous cutbacks and deficits. This is another proposal to vet with our membership to see whether or not we want to take advantage of a new revenue source."

North Carolina Central and Savannah State will begin participating in MEAC football next year, but Thomas said the proposal would be voted on only by the chancellors and presidents of the nine existing member schools: South Carolina State, which has been named the preseason favorite to win a third straight conference title, along with Bethune-Cookman, Delaware State, Florida A&M, Hampton, Howard, Morgan State, Norfolk State and North Carolina A&T.

A majority vote will determine the MEAC's future direction, Thomas added. If the vote was taken today, it surely would have been close, with South Carolina State, Florida A&M and to a lesser degree Delaware State believed to be the strongest proponents of keeping the status quo and not sacrificing the FCS automatic bid. What direction the other schools are leaning is up for speculation.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/media/index.aspx

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 31st, 2010, 06:52 PM
MEAC shifts schedules, moves to 2 divisions in most sports
By St. Clair Murraine
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER
NORFOLK, Va. – The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference will eventually have a two-division league, but in the meantime the 11 football programs will play a realigned schedule starting with the 2011 season.

The move would allow each of the current nine teams to retain their rivalry games, commissioner Dennis Thomas said during a news conference that preceded the league’s football kickoff luncheon. Savannah State and North Carolina Central, two provisional members of the conference, will gain eligibility to compete for the league title next season as the 10th and 11th teams.

http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/article/20100731/FAMU03/100731008/MEAC-shifts-schedules--moves-to-2-divisions-in-most-sports

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Playoff or pay-off? MEAC decision a 'win-win'

Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - There's a difficult decision ahead for Mid- Eastern Athletic Conference football, and there may not be a right or wrong answer considering both of the given options have merit.

"A win-win situation," according to Norfolk State football coach Pete Adrian.

Just as the FCS is expanding its playoff format from 16 to 20 teams this season, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference schools are weighing in on the idea of giving up the automatic bid afforded its champion, beginning in 2011, to return to a bowl game against the champion of the nation's other Historically Black Colleges and Universities league, the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Talk of the potential Legacy Bowl has gone on for some time. Decision day is nearing.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/media/index.aspx

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM
MEAC shifts schedules, moves to 2 divisions in most sports
By St. Clair Murraine
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER
NORFOLK, Va. – The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference will eventually have a two-division league, but in the meantime the 11 football programs will play a realigned schedule starting with the 2011 season.

The move would allow each of the current nine teams to retain their rivalry games, commissioner Dennis Thomas said during a news conference that preceded the league’s football kickoff luncheon. Savannah State and North Carolina Central, two provisional members of the conference, will gain eligibility to compete for the league title next season as the 10th and 11th teams.

http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/article/20100731/FAMU03/100731008/MEAC-shifts-schedules--moves-to-2-divisions-in-most-sports

Makes sense...

The MEAC is pretty geographically spread out from Delaware to Florida. With the additional teams, they'll be able to go into divisions that help limit the travel and potentially save money for the member institutions.

Are there any schools that could potentially be kept 'away' from their primary rivals in light of this move?

DEX
August 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
“(S.C. State head coach) Buddy Pough is doing an outstanding job with this program,’’ said Lee. “He has great talent all over the field. The team he has right now can win a national championship. That’s what we want to be about. We want to be about putting teams together that can compete for national championships.”

NC A&T Head Coach, Alonzo Lee - Nov 2009

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
Some feedback from the MEAC and some players...the Norfolk players think they are throwing in the towel and that they are saying they are not at the level of the rest of FCS...

MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas said Thursday the conference continues to do its “due diligence” on the Legacy Bowl proposition and he expects a vote by school presidents this fall.

On the team’s media day later Thursday, Norfolk State players made it clear how they would vote.

A Legacy Bowl would forego the MEAC champion’s automatic bid to the FCS playoffs and match it with the champion of the Southwestern Athletic Conference in a televised game reminiscent of the now-defunct Heritage Bowl.

“Why?” asked running back DeAngelo Branche. “It’s like playing seven games and calling it quits.”

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/08/nsus-vote-legacy-bowl-expected-fall