PDA

View Full Version : Turf going down at Lamar!

LUFAN1
July 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072310aac.html

We are getting close... Our stadium and athletic complex are coming together nicely... Looks like they got the new lighting up as well. It should be one of the top FCS facilities in the country.... or at least in the SLC!

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM

We are getting close... Our stadium and athletic complex are coming together nicely... Looks like they got the new lighting up as well. It should be one of the top FCS facilities in the country.... or at least in the SLC!

Based on then pictures I have seen it is going to be really nice. You need to do a little travelling to other FCS stadiums before you make those comparisons ( see ASU, Montana etc)

GeauxLions94
July 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM

Based on then pictures I have seen it is going to be really nice. You need to do a little travelling to other FCS stadiums before you make those comparisons ( see ASU, Montana etc)

Agreed 75 xthumbsupx

Washington-Grizzly Stadium
http://www.umt.edu/images/photolib/351_photo.jpg

Kidd-Brewer Stadium
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/3866532690_ee3315bf71.jpg

LUFAN1
July 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Man you guys need to slow your roll... I said one of the nicest ( Meaning in the top 10 to 15%) .. I have been to a few FCS stadiums... The first NCAA football game I had ever been to was at the University of Montana and I think they have the best facility in the FCS.

GeauxLions94
July 24th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Not slamming Provost-Umphrey, you guys have done some great things there with the new fieldhouse and suites adjacent to the Montagne ... but don't think it'll be in the top 10-15 percent among FCS stadiums when it's all said and done.

Sly Fox
July 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Agreed ... in fact it seems very on par (albeit newer) with the Southland facilities in general. The top 10-15% might have applied a decade ago but the sheer number of major stadium upgrades in FCS in the past few years has been amazing.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 01:46 PM
It's never a good idea to say your facilities are in the Top 10-15% in the country. People generally don't like comments about a new program having great facilities which might be better than their own. But, with a $30 million dollar renovation of the former Cardinal Stadium and the new fieldhouse; Provost Umphrey will be the nicest in the SLC.

Just need to do a little work on the Montagne Center!

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
It's never a good idea to say your facilities are in the Top 10-15% in the country. People generally don't like comments about a new program having great facilities which might be better than their own. But, with a $30 million dollar renovation of the former Cardinal Stadium and the new fieldhouse; Provost Umphrey will be the nicest in the SLC.

I'm sure the folks in San Marcos would disagree with the SLC statement and your remark is also off-base due to your limited knowledge of FCS...

Go around the SLC for a year or two to see all the stadiums before you make remarks like that. Many of your fans already have a very irritable MO for hoops and the team does not back it up. Don't bring that to football as well...

panama
July 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
LUFAN1

A little FCS Forum Primer of Prohibited Topics By Start Up Programs

1) Stating your facility is any way shape or form better than a homeless shelter or truck stop bathroom.
2) Suggesting your program will ever win more than 1 game in the first 20 years.
3) Suggesting or hinting that you might suggest and/or hint at the hint that you may in any way have ever even dreamed even in a nightmare of suggesting and/or hinting of moving ever so slightly close to anything that even smells like FBS
3.1) FBS is a four letter word.
4) Even thinking in your mind that any recruit you have is better than a player on a pop warner squad.
5) Imagining any future beyond getting drubbed soundly year after year by the teams represented in any of many FCS forums.
6) Whispering in the dark about scheduling an FBS opponent in your first 50 years of existence.
7) Suggestion that your school has any academic significance.
8) Whining which = sticking up for your school and/or city in the slightest.
9) Not bowing down and bending over for the existing FCS faithful.

In prison parlance, once you have experienced lights out a couple of times at least you know what to expect.

txst80
July 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm sure the folks in San Marcos would disagree with the SLC statement

Yep...

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm sure the folks in San Marcos would disagree with the SLC statement and your remark is also off-base due to your limited knowledge of FCS...

Go around the SLC for a year or two to see all the stadiums before you make remarks like that. Many of your fans already have a very irritable MO for hoops and the team does not back it up. Don't bring that to football as well...

Looking at the athletic websites for all the SLC teams I can get a pretty good idea about their football facilities. UCA has a 50 yards indoor practice facility which is nice and TSU has made great upgrades to their stadium but there is a TRACK around their stadium which changes the atmosphere (fan's are not close to the attaction). McNeese is working on an upgrade to their training facilty but it will be 10,000 feet smaller than Lamar's. My brother played football at McNeese so I may be new to FCS level football but I am familiar with the SLC.

I admit my overall knowledge of FCS level football is limited but as a new poster here (12) post I would hope you guys can show me some other facilities to fill me in so I make a more accurate statement next time.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Looking at the athletic websites for all the SLC teams I can get a pretty good idea about their football facilities. UCA has a 50 yards indoor practice facility which is nice and TSU has made great upgrades to their stadium but there is a TRACK around their stadium which changes the atmosphere (fan's are not close to the attaction).

Track will be gone in the next two years...

McNeese is working on an upgrade to their training facilty but it will be 10,000 feet smaller than Lamar's. My brother played football at McNeese so I may be new to FCS level football but I am familiar with the SLC.

What about the football stadium? As much as like S&C facilities, the stadium matters more...

I admit my overall knowledge of FCS level football is limited but as a new poster here (12) post I would hope you guys can show me some other facilities to fill me in so I make a more accurate statement next time.

The FCS level is getting better and better facilities.

There's a thread somewhere for information and pictures of facilities. Lamar would have a tough time cracking the top 10, 15.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Georgia State poster, you must know the rules of the game as a new program to FCS. Thanks for the reply and we'll see you guys 11/06/10.

FormerPokeCenter
July 26th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Okay.....Sthey'rere Renovating Cardinal Stadium? Then what's the really nice looking NEW stadium out near Ford Park that's nearing completion? FYI....The old Cardinal Stadium
was a dump, you'd HAVE to spend 30 large on it to make it habitable....

dirty bird
July 26th, 2010, 03:00 PM
LUFAN1

A little FCS Forum Primer of Prohibited Topics By Start Up Programs

1) Stating your facility is any way shape or form better than a homeless shelter or truck stop bathroom.
2) Suggesting your program will ever win more than 1 game in the first 20 years.
3) Suggesting or hinting that you might suggest and/or hint at the hint that you may in any way have ever even dreamed even in a nightmare of suggesting and/or hinting of moving ever so slightly close to anything that even smells like FBS
3.1) FBS is a four letter word.
4) Even thinking in your mind that any recruit you have is better than a player on a pop warner squad.
5) Imagining any future beyond getting drubbed soundly year after year by the teams represented in any of many FCS forums.
6) Whispering in the dark about scheduling an FBS opponent in your first 50 years of existence.
7) Suggestion that your school has any academic significance.
8) Whining which = sticking up for your school and/or city in the slightest.
9) Not bowing down and bending over for the existing FCS faithful.

In prison parlance, once you have experienced lights out a couple of times at least you know what to expect.

Totally with you Georgia State fan.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
That is the new BISD stadium. If you think that is nice you need to check out Lamar's athletics page. BTW, FormerPokerCenter do you know a former ALL-SLC Center by the name of Jeff Mathews? He was a high-school teammate of mine.

Franks Tanks
July 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Okay.....Sthey'rere Renovating Cardinal Stadium? Then what's the really nice looking NEW stadium out near Ford Park that's nearing completion? FYI....The old Cardinal Stadium
was a dump, you'd HAVE to spend 30 large on it to make it habitable....

Which one is you Poke Center? Nice pic

txst80
July 26th, 2010, 03:05 PM
TSU has made great upgrades to their stadium but there is a TRACK around their stadium which changes the atmosphere (fan's are not close to the attaction).

We are breaking ground on a brand new Track & Field facility in September.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Track will be gone in the next two years...

What about the football stadium? As much as like S&C facilities, the stadium matters more...

The FCS level is getting better and better facilities.

There's a thread somewhere for information and pictures of facilities. Lamar would have a tough time cracking the top 10, 15.

1. When the track is gone I'll agree they'll have a better facility.
2. You need to check out lamarcardinals.com and see all the changes to the stadium. The S&C facilites cost about $8 million the rest are to the stadium, suites, turf, and video scoreboard.
3. I'm sure there are many FCS level schools getting better facilities and I'd love a link to view them.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
We are breaking ground on a brand new Track & Field facility in September.

That will be cool! You know an assistant AD at TSU by the name of Don Coryell? He is a really nice guy!

panama
July 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM
LOVE what you guys are doing as a program. ;)

Totally with you Georgia State fan.

bigred360
July 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Both of your programs are starting off impressive.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM
At the very least, the stadium is on schedule...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_football_stadium_on_schedule__ad_says.html

We'll just have to keep avoiding those monsters in the Gulf...

dirty bird
July 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks - we appreciate that. I have to say the same for you guys as well.

I can't wait to visit Atlanta to see Bill Curry battle it out with Larry Coker :)
I can vouch for at least 30 family members/friends will be in the Georgia Dome to see it. If you come to San Antonio, look up the Tailgaters. We'll be more than happy to share a few brews on the riverwalk with you guys.

FormerPokeCenter
July 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Jeff was a freshman my senior year. Great guy..

FormerPokeCenter
July 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Which one is you Poke Center? Nice pic

I'm the little guy (comparatively speaking) in the middle, with the ball ;) That's an OLD picture, though...1985.

Franks Tanks
July 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm the little guy (comparatively speaking) in the middle, with the ball ;) That's an OLD picture, though...1985.

Cool--good stuff

centexguy
July 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
A couple of photos courtesy of BigRedInsider.com:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/montagneview.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/TURF.jpg

http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=105&func=view&catid=5&id=1000#1028

TheBisonator
July 26th, 2010, 11:36 PM
That's a nice stadium going up at Lamar. If NDSU ever had an outdoor stadium, that's what I would want it to look like, except both sides would be double-decked.

bigred360
July 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Jeff was a freshman my senior year. Great guy..

Yea, he is a great guy. Just in case you didn't know he has been the AD/HC at Vidor HS for several years. His younger brother Jason played at A&M, then for 11 seasons in the NFL. Last team he played for was the Tennessee Titans.

Talented and very caring family.

bigred360
July 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
A couple of photos courtesy of BigRedInsider.com:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/montagneview.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/TURF.jpg

http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=105&func=view&catid=5&id=1000#1028

Man, they have got to do something about the Montagne Center as it takes away from the appearance of the football complex.

Retro
July 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
That stadium will look really nice next year with over 50% full of Blue and Gold colors!

bigred360
July 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
So you are saying over 8,000 will travel from Lake Charles? I hope you guys back up your talk with action. I'd love to see 20,000 at Provost-Umphrey. That will be a great college football atmosphere if that does happen.

Back in 1989, McNeese only brought about 1,500 fans as the total attendance was about 4,000. I wish ya'll brought more as it might have saved our program.

Retro
July 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mcneese brought 10,000 to Tulane, over 10,000 to ULL and would've been more had the fire marshall not cut it off... Being only 1 hour away, i would expect 8,000 easy if tickets available.

bigred360
July 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Well then I look forward to a good college atmosphere next season at Provost-Umphrey.

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
The Beaumont Enterprise has announced Lamar's football practice schedule.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_football_practice_schedule.html

Of note - "The team will also hold two preseason scrimmages, Aug. 14 and Aug. 21. The site for each scrimmage has not been determined."

No statement on where the scrimmages will be held, but I'm guessing it will be in the stadium - right? Shouldn't it be ready to roll by that point?