PDA

View Full Version : GA State vs. Alabama will be on ESPNU

GA St. MBB Fan
July 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=12700&atclid=204970032

texaspitfire
July 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
I can't wait to watch this one. I know it could get pretty ugly, but I know GA State will be ready to play.

Jackman
July 22nd, 2010, 03:11 AM
I guess they think they might see history made at that game. What's the record for largest margin of defeat again?

bluehenbillk
July 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
How much pressure will Alabama be under to win by 100+. And, no, I'm not kidding.

elon77
July 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Can I ask why? Why are they playing them and why are they on TV?

Sly Fox
July 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Look who is coaching Georgia State and then remind me why you think the Tide will want to humiliate GSU. Bama fans will be trying to figure who all of these walk-ons are on the field by the 2nd quarter.

McNeese75
July 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM

My thoughts exactly!!!

biggie
July 22nd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't think they would televise torture/killings.

SpeedkingATL
July 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
It will be listed in the TV guide as "General Hospital, Blunt Force Trama Unit".

henfan
July 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
ESPNU will have another game at the ready. The plug will be pulled when this one starts to gets out of hand, which should be sometime around halftime. I just hope the CAA's name isn't mentioned during the telecast.

Curry's decision to schedule this game so soon into GSU's development is completely idiotic. This has the potential to do so much harm to GSU's efforts to build a legitimate D-I FB program. There's a reason that no other FB startup has scheduled this kind of match until years after they've built a solid foundation.

biggie
July 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
It will be listed in the TV guide as "General Hospital, Blunt Force Trama Unit".
"Law & Order: Dumb Games Inspection Unit"

GA St. MBB Fan
July 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally they weren't supposed to play Alabama until 2012 (I believe) but Alabama called and wanted the game in 2010. With their request they sent a check for $500k. On top of that Curry thought it would be a reward for the players (especially those who redshirted all last season) to play a game at Bryant-Denny.

As for why its on TV? ESPN will probably use it as the finale for ESPN the Mag's story they are doing on Curry and the building of the GSU football team. This story started at last year's tryouts and will likely end at Alabama.

GeauxLions94
July 22nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Knowing Saban and Co., the final score will be 63-0 (probably 42-0 or 49-0 at halftime) ... though it could be worse.

WMTribe90
July 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Originally they weren't supposed to play Alabama until 2012 (I believe) but Alabama called and wanted the game in 2010. With their request they sent a check for $500k. On top of that Curry thought it would be a reward for the players (especially those who redshirted all last season) to play a game at Bryant-Denny.

As for why its on TV? ESPN will probably use it as the finale for ESPN the Mag's story they are doing on Curry and the building of the GSU football team. This story started at last year's tryouts and will likely end at Alabama.

I'd hate to see his idea of a punishment if playing Alabama in year two is a reward. Did he consider taking them out for soft serve instead?

elon77
July 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Brings new meaning to " Dumb and dumber". I don't know which one is dumb and which one is dumber, the coach or the school.

elon77
July 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Someone ask Bobby Wilder at ODU if he would do it over again, would he rather be 9-2 against a watered down schedule, or be $500,000.00 richer and been beaten 65-0 by Bama?

PhoenixPhan06
July 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'll be curious to see how far down the depth chart Bama goes in this one because it will certainly get ugly. I think Bama will treat it as many NFL teams treat an early preseason game by only playing the starters a few series then handing them the clipboard for the B-squad to take over.

The Cats
July 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
This story started at last year's tryouts and will likely end at Alabama.
The story is not all that will end at Alabama.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Let's be honest why this is on TV...

1) All games at SEC stadiums are part of the SEC/ESPN package
2) Alabama is a serious contender for the national title and as such, you can't just throw their game on PPV - especially if they are about to take their 'undefeated coronation' against Ga State before moving to SEC Championship Game
3) This gives ESPN to have on one of their networks, a three hour promotion of the BCS and whatever controversy could exist

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm excited for Georgia State to get started, but this game seems like a bad idea. I would've cancelled the game before I moved it up. I don't think $500k will cover the amount of damage this will do to their progress. I would be PISSED if we scheduled Alabama and we have a pretty decent history. To be the best you have to beat the best, but I wouldn't put my team in that position at this point in the team's history, if ever.

ur2k
July 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Someone should check to make sure the scoreboard goes into triple digits

ChooChoo
July 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hey! That's the American Spirit boys! Run and hide! Call out people for being stupid or dumb because they are willing to take risks! Its a freakin game. Its a sport. And dont start in with the health concerns and risk of life crap. 18-22 year olds have been beating each other up on the field for well over a hundred years. Yes, it may be pretty one-sided based on talent, but let them play the game. If, in some strange course of events, the start-up Georgia State team upsets the National Champion Tide it will be the biggest David v. Goliath, USA Hockey v. USSR, underdog story of the 21st century. What could be more American or compelling than that? Stop hating and show some FCS love. xtwocentsx

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Stop hating and show some FCS love. xtwocentsx

Once you've played FCS football for a while you might understand the importance of scheduling a bit. I would call this game stupid even if it was Villanova. This isn't David vs. Goliath, it's David's baby brother vs. Goliath.

LeadBolt
July 22nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I just hope there is no need for life flights or body bags...

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hey! That's the American Spirit boys! Run and hide! Call out people for being stupid or dumb because they are willing to take risks! Its a freakin game. Its a sport. And dont start in with the health concerns and risk of life crap. 18-22 year olds have been beating each other up on the field for well over a hundred years. Yes, it may be pretty one-sided based on talent, but let them play the game. If, in some strange course of events, the start-up Georgia State team upsets the National Champion Tide it will be the biggest David v. Goliath, USA Hockey v. USSR, underdog story of the 21st century. What could be more American or compelling than that? Stop hating and show some FCS love. xtwocentsx

There is absolutely no chance a first year program will beat the defending champs.

WMTribe90
July 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM

This is not one team of 18-23 year olds mixing it up with another team of 18-23 year olds. This is a top level BCS squad comprised of 18-23 year olds playing a first year program comprised primarily of 18 and 19 year olds playing their first season of college football. Several of your players (all the true freshmen) will not have the advantage of a single off-season in a college strength and conditioning program. In general, I agree the injury risk in FCS v FBS games is way overblown because the FCS players are just as well conditioned even if a little lighter and/or slower on average. Not the case in this game. The majority of HS lineman need two years to physically mature to the level needed to play at the DI level. I seriously hope there are no injuries to GSU players, the majority of which will not be physically prepared to compete at Alabama's level.

This isn't an example of GSU reaching for the stars, its an example of reaching for the dollars at the expense of student-athlete well being. GSU has set their team up for failure and its going to reflect poorly on all of FCS and the CAA.

henfan
July 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hey! That's the American Spirit boys! Run and hide! Call out people for being stupid or dumb because they are willing to take risks!

It's got little to do with running and hiding and everything to do with common sense management of a football start up.

I'm not convinced that this game was scheduled purely for money. It appears that GSU is over-reaching with too many of their FB decisions. Curry seems like he either doesn't have a clue or has no patience for doing things the right way. He's severely underestimating how bad this game is going to be for GSU.

PhoenixPhan06
July 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Does the movie Little Giants come to mind for anyone else in this matchup? I doubt even the annexation of Puerto Rico could even save GSU!

WMTribe90
July 22nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
I think Curry knows enough to know his team is not ready for this game. He's putting a positive spin on this game, but it sounds to me like the AD is pushing the game for the money/exposure (negative) it will bring.

Intresting contrast with Coach Wilder and ODU. The ODU AD scheduled WM for their first season prior to Wilder being hired. Wilder knew his young team wouldn't be ready for a top 25 FCS opponent (let alone a top 25 FBS program) in year one and the AD backed him up. They actually paid $70,000 to get out of the game with WM last year. GSU could learn alot from ODU's decision.

Skjellyfetti
July 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
What's the record for largest margin of defeat again?

222-0
Georgia Tech over Cumberland College

not sure in "modern" CFB history

WestCoastAggie
July 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Does the movie Little Giants come to mind for anyone else in this matchup? I doubt even the annexation of Puerto Rico could even save GSU!

Isn't that an Illegal play.

Jackman
July 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
222-0
Georgia Tech over Cumberland College

not sure in "modern" CFB history

Well okay then, I'll take Georgia State +222 for $100.

Don't say nobody believed in you, GSU.

BearsCountry
July 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Great PR for the program. Smart move on the Panthers part.

panama
July 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I personally intend to travel to this game, tailgate and have a great time. And in jaded Atlanta, the fact that there has been at least one and frequently two media stories at the national level every single day related to this game for the last 6 months is worth more than the $500k. I havent seen many Lamar or South Alabama stories but Curry has been on Mike and Mike about 4 times since the spring. Not to mention that we're rumored to be appearing on the ESPN cover next month. If we dont have Curry and coach and if he turns down Bama's offer, no way this all happens like this.

GA St. MBB Fan
July 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Just wanted to note that we have 17 Freshman, 37 Red-Shirt Freshman, 12 Red-Shirt Sophomores, 11 Juniors, 14 Red-Shirt Juniors, 6 Red-Shirt Seniors on the roster.

Thus if you assume the following:
The average Freshman is 18
The average Red-Shirt Freshman is 19
The average Sophomore is 19
The average Red-Shirt Sophomore is 20
The average Junior is 20
The average Red-Shirt Junior is 21
The average Senior is 21
and, the average Red-Shirt Senior is 22
then we have:
17, 18 yr. olds; 37, 19 yr. olds; 23, 20 yr. olds; 14, 21 yr. olds; and 6, 22 yr. olds.

So its not like it'll all be freshman and red shirt freshman on the field.

Mntneer
July 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Count me among those that think the only thing dumber than scheduling this game to begin with is ESPN airing it.

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I personally intend to travel to this game, tailgate and have a great time. And in jaded Atlanta, the fact that there has been at least one and frequently two media stories at the national level every single day related to this game for the last 6 months is worth more than the $500k. I havent seen many Lamar or South Alabama stories but Curry has been on Mike and Mike about 4 times since the spring. Not to mention that we're rumored to be appearing on the ESPN cover next month. If we dont have Curry and coach and if he turns down Bama's offer, no way this all happens like this.

I think this has more to do with Curry, not the Alabama game.

Hammer22
July 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I think Curry knows enough to know his team is not ready for this game. He's putting a positive spin on this game, but it sounds to me like the AD is pushing the game for the money/exposure (negative) it will bring.

Nope, the decision was left to Curry to decide. We're highly likely to lose this game; but, it's overblown to think this will hamper our recruiting efforts and we're gonna get embarrassed. Going into the game, no one expects the game to be even close. So, there's little to get embarrassed about. But, to hear a start up taking on a BCS contender shows GSU has a few mellons. So honestly GSU only will gain in this area. If we lose big, we still go home w/ serious national exposure and a nice check. If we don't lose big, we go home w/ serious national exposure, a nice check, and beating a few of the naysayers. The program and its fans are proud regardless.

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
You're dead wrong.
I think I have been monitoring this slightly more than you. 90% of these national stories which again have been daily are Alabama stories related to either why they are playing us or the fact that the Iron Bowl is the following week.

Look this is how you build a program especially if you do not want to be irrelevant in Atlanta by 2016. You schedule one or two big boys a year and you take your lumps and eventually you knock of one or two. We all know what we're talking about here because we all took math. The numbers add up to moving up. Every alumni member I have spoke to expects it as well as every downtown civic or business group. They are wanting the next GT not the next West Georgia. So if that is going to happen on any schedule approaching what USA and UTSA are talking about we have to take these games. Also it should be noted that Bama had one opening in their schedule fr the next 10 years. CBC was given a take it or leave it ultimatum. He preferred to play them in 2012 or 2013. Bama said 2010 or not at all. Like I said, we have already gotten a few million dollars in free publicity off of this and our kids will walk away after 11/18 never afraid of any football undertaking ever again.

bluehenbillk
July 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
How many points does Alabama need to score, just not to be ranked lower the following week??

Redbird Ray
July 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
When you are the defending FBS national champion, most of your games are on national TV. Plus, I'm not sure but the Iron Bowl may be on CBS? If so, this would be ESPN's last chance to show a potential repeat national champion on one of it's own networks. That is why this game is on the U.

Throw in the Bill curry backstory, and you have something to entertain a few casual viewers.

ur2k
July 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
How many points does Alabama need to score, just not to be ranked lower the following week??

Great question, I say at least 42 by the half.

elon77
July 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM

Intresting contrast with Coach Wilder and ODU. The ODU AD scheduled WM for their first season prior to Wilder being hired. Wilder knew his young team wouldn't be ready for a top 25 FCS opponent (let alone a top 25 FBS program) in year one and the AD backed him up. They actually paid $70,000 to get out of the game with WM last year. GSU could learn alot from ODU's decision.

On a side note, I actually think ODU will play a pretty good game against you this year. It could very well be a very interesting Saturday. I saw them play several times last year, and they aren't too bad. Surprised me.

Franks Tanks
July 23rd, 2010, 09:13 AM

I agree Rob. Curry and Alabama is giving GSU a lot of publicity, but they arent necessarily the best things to develop a young program. We shall see how it plays out and who was right shortly!

GaSouthern
July 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
This ought to be funny

darell1976
July 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I never thought there would be this much backlash over a FCS team hooking up with the big boys of college football. It may not be a blowout, Alabama may be so overconfident that they make mistakes and this game may end up closer than people want to believe. 63-0, 42-0 at halftime. How about 21-7 at halftime and Final Score Alabama 35-Georgia Southern 21. Thats my prediction. Bama is not playing the worst team in the FCS. GSU was 5-6 not 0-11 or 1-10. Bama has to watch out for their starters too that they don't get hurt. Saban would get so much heat if their starters were out for 3 or 4 games due to injuries in a game against an FCS team. As they say thats why the games are played. So I say good luck GSU I am pulling for you as I hate Nick Satan (Saban) with a passion, and I hope you keep it close or pull the big upset.

biggie
July 23rd, 2010, 09:47 AM
I never thought there would be this much backlash over a FCS team hooking up with the big boys of college football. It may not be a blowout, Alabama may be so overconfident that they make mistakes and this game may end up closer than people want to believe. 63-0, 42-0 at halftime. How about 21-7 at halftime and Final Score Alabama 35-Georgia Southern 21. Thats my prediction. Bama is not playing the worst team in the FCS. GSU was 5-6 not 0-11 or 1-10. Bama has to watch out for their starters too that they don't get hurt. Saban would get so much heat if their starters were out for 3 or 4 games due to injuries in a game against an FCS team. As they say thats why the games are played. So I say good luck GSU I am pulling for you as I hate Nick Satan (Saban) with a passion, and I hope you keep it close or pull the big upset.
Have you realized this Georgia State and not Georgia Southern?

darell1976
July 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
Have you realized this Georgia State and not Georgia Southern?

Oh sh-t, oops I looked at the wrong Georgia. My bad.xoopsx Oh well good luck Georgia State. I am still pulling for you.

LeadBolt
July 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
On a side note, I actually think ODU will play a pretty good game against you this year. It could very well be a very interesting Saturday. I saw them play several times last year, and they aren't too bad. Surprised me.

I think you are right about ODU playing a pretty good game against W&M. They are off to a better start than most programs, play in a great atmosphere and will have a chip on their shoulders. They could win, if W&M does not take them deadly seriously or is looking past them.

On the other hand, I'm tired of all the smack I am getting from their fans who think we should be the underdogs, that we should be quaking in our boots and they will roll over us by multiple touchdowns.....

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I bet that they are worried about that. I suppose it depends on where they are on 11/18. If they are #1 and undefeated then it wont matter unless they only beat us 38-17 or worse actually lose. But I am sure there is an unwritten rule to win by at leat 35 in these games. I think they also play San Jose State this year. But really who cares. They HAVE to beat Auburn the next week and they HAVE to win the SEC Chanmpionship Game. Beating us 60-3 doesnt help them win a National Championship. The expectation is for us to play against their 2nd and 3rd string. In the end nobody will care about this game unless like I said its either close or they lose.

bluehenbillk
July 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
I bet that they are worried about that. I suppose it depends on where they are on 11/18. If they are #1 and undefeated then it wont matter unless they only beat us 38-17 or worse actually lose. But I am sure there is an unwritten rule to win by at leat 35 in these games. I think they also play San Jose State this year. But really who cares. They HAVE to beat Auburn the next week and they HAVE to win the SEC Chanmpionship Game. Beating us 60-3 doesnt help them win a National Championship. The expectation is for us to play against their 2nd and 3rd string. In the end nobody will care about this game unless like I said its either close or they lose.

You referred to GSU winning twice there. It's your 1st year of football, you'd be double-digit underdogs against Towson & URI, boy oh boy are you guys in for a wakeup call.

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think I was clear in my post. Nobody expects a win o it even to be close. I am just stating the only cases whereby Bama would have to worry about the score affecting their ranking in the polls. Geez Louise. Does 90% of FCS have psychological issues?

The last group of people who need a wake up call are GSU fans. We have been losing since before I was born and I am over 40.

You referred to GSU winning twice there. It's your 1st year of football, you'd be double-digit underdogs against Towson & URI, boy oh boy are you guys in for a wakeup call.

SaintDK10
July 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Someone ask Bobby Wilder at ODU if he would do it over again, would he rather be 9-2 against a watered down schedule, or be $500,000.00 richer and been beaten 65-0 by Bama?
How is this any different from Troy, the Sun Belt champion, getting beat 56-6 by Florida, the defending national champion last year? Was Troy supposed to "pack up their program and leave Division 1" after that loss?

South Alabama went 7-0 last season playing a bunch of prep schools and junior colleges, and most people don't even know they had a season last year. What good does playing cup cakes like that do for preparing them for the future?

The Alabama game is about as simple as it gets. No one expects GSU to do anything, and if we get beat 60-0, it would be expected, as most FCS and lower FBS teams would have the same result. But this way, GSU gets national exposure, a half a million dollar paycheck, and is prepared tough-as-nails to compete against ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANY TIME.

I swear, I've never seen so many pu$$ies on one message board before.

panama
July 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
LMAO LOUD

Disclaimer: The opinions of SaintDK10 are not the shared opinions of Coach Bill Curry, GSU and 10% of Panther Fans.

How is this any different from Troy, the Sun Belt champion, getting beat 56-6 by Florida, the defending national champion last year? Was Troy supposed to "pack up their program and leave Division 1" after that loss?

South Alabama went 7-0 last season playing a bunch of prep schools and junior colleges, and most people don't even know they had a season last year. What good does playing cup cakes like that do for preparing them for the future?

The Alabama game is about as simple as it gets. No one expects GSU to do anything, and if we get beat 60-0, it would be expected, as most FCS and lower FBS teams would have the same result. But this way, GSU gets national exposure, a half a million dollar paycheck, and is prepared tough-as-nails to compete against ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANY TIME.

I swear, I've never seen so many pu$$ies on one message board before.

elon77
July 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
I think you are right about ODU playing a pretty good game against W&M. They are off to a better start than most programs, play in a great atmosphere and will have a chip on their shoulders. They could win, if W&M does not take them deadly seriously or is looking past them.

On the other hand, I'm tired of all the smack I am getting from their fans who think we should be the underdogs, that we should be quaking in our boots and they will roll over us by multiple touchdowns.....

Well, sometimes fans have foot in mouth disease. Sometimes they even have to eat crow. Mighty tasty if fixed right, I know.xnodx

ChinStrapPenguin
July 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I would be PISSED if we scheduled Alabama and we have a pretty decent history. To be the best you have to beat the best, but I wouldn't put my team in that position at this point in the team's history, if ever.

Youngstown State does the same thing with Big Ten teams. They always schedule Ohio State or Penn State and the game is not even close. Every year a player gets injured and the game does not help the team improve at all. YSU would be better off scheduling a lower level Big Ten team that they could stay close with or possibly even beat. I think Georgia State would be better off playing an average ACC team. But the pay day is not as great as an SEC game.

henfan
July 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
How is this any different from Troy, the Sun Belt champion, getting beat 56-6 by Florida, the defending national champion last year?

Saint, you really can't be serious. You've made the ridiculous anology between GSU, a team that has yet to play a down of college FB at any level, and Troy, a program with 16 years of D-I experience under their belts. Troy spent 8 years in D-I before ever scheduling an opponent from a major conference (Nebraska), which, not coincidentally, was their transition year to I-A. By then, they had a roster of players who had spent 1-4 years playing D-I competition.

FB start ups don't typically schedule games against any D-I opponents in their first season, let alone major conference FBS teams, for a very good reason: it's a horrible idea. If you're trying to develop a program and build a winning foundation, getting a mudhole stomped through your club cannot possibly help achieve those goals. Don't believe me? Look at every D-I other FB startup as examples.

Redbirdz
July 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
You are likely to get pounded again when you host Jacksonville State, a ranked FCS team, on September 18. But my hat's off to you for getting some good first year pub.

Jackman
July 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have no problem with the 2012 edition of Georgia State football taking on Alabama, particularly early in the season. It'd still be a huge blowout, but at least they'd be matching men against men. It's throwing predominantly freshmen and redshirt freshmen into this that's getting all the negativity. It is a truly exceptionally bad matchup that could create headaches for the rest of us when it comes to scheduling FBS teams, because both the BCS lovers and haters are going to whine and cry endlessly if Alabama is in title game position late in the season and is playing this game. Someone, whether it's an ignorant columnist, a coach of a non-BCS team, or a coach of BCS team fighting for Alabama's title game spot, is going to beat the drums to ban these games if Alabama is in position to play in the championship.

txst80
July 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Saint, you really can't be serious. You've made the ridiculous anology between GSU, a team that has yet to play a down of college FB at any level, and Troy, a program with 16 years of D-I experience under their belts. Troy spent 8 years in D-I before ever scheduling an opponent from a major conference (Nebraska), which, not coincidentally, was their transition year to I-A. By then, they had a roster of players who had spent 1-4 years playing D-I competition.

FB start ups don't typically schedule games against any D-I opponents in their first season, let alone major conference FBS teams, for a very good reason: it's a horrible idea. If you're trying to develop a program and build a winning foundation, getting a mudhole stomped through your club cannot possibly help achieve those goals. Don't believe me? Look at every D-I other FB startup as examples.

Seriously.

That is an absolutely terrible comparison. Georgia State would be lucky to keep it within 50 against Troy, you can't compare yourself to that program.

GA St. MBB Fan
July 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I have no problem with the 2012 edition of Georgia State football taking on Alabama, particularly early in the season. It'd still be a huge blowout, but at least they'd be matching men against men. It's throwing predominantly freshmen and redshirt freshmen into this that's getting all the negativity.

See: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70291-GA-State-vs.-Alabama-will-be-on-ESPNU&p=1534006&viewfull=1#post1534006

SaintDK10
July 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM

Thank you, oh bright one, for giving me the history of Troy University, a school that was in the same conference as GSU for a decade and is probably our most hated regional rival aside from GA Southern. But now if you'll kindly go back, read my post, as well as the post I was replying to, and then perhaps you'll apply the concept of "context" in which my point was not to compare GSU to Troy, but merely to state that a blowout is a blowout no matter how you slice it or dice it. If a program like Troy can get blown out by a defending national champion, then there is no shame for a start up to fare the same. There is literally nothing for us to lose by playing this game. Oh I forgot, that's right, we're pairing boys against men.

henfan, why don't you do me a favor and instead of wasting time posting complete drivel, go look at our roster. We have 25 juniors, 6 seniors and 12 red-shirt sophomores. There will not be one single true freshmen at a starting position, and even a red-shirt freshmen will be hardpressed to find a starting spot. Our entire offensive line consists of ACC, SEC and JUCO transfers, as does our defensive line and our LB core. If you really think Curry was going to pair up a bunch of freshmen against the defending national champion, you are truly dumber than I thought. This goes for the rest of you as well.

apaladin
July 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
A game that could be just as bad or even worse is when PC plays at Clemson Sept. 11. PC is still in it's D-1 infancy has yet to be be competitive at the VCS level. They actually open the prior week with Wake Forest.

eaglemachine
July 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
...a school that was in the same conference as GSU for a decade and is probably our most hated regional rival aside from GA Southern.

How is Ga State, Georgia Southern's rival? You haven't even played a game yet!
I hope when Georgia Southern does play Georgia State, we beat you by 50 just to shut you up.

Hammer22
July 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
The only thing that Southern is going be shutting up is their own fans when they realize that Monken isn't Johnson and the 3-Option doesn't work by default. By the way, how was that 20 point thrashing in basketball this past yr. (I know this is a football board).

panama
July 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
You have no idea how much these two schools and geographic areas absolutely detest each other within the state of Georgia. It's bordering on UGA/GT. We dont see eye to eye on whether the stoplight is green or just not red. LOL. We truly loathe each other.

I hope when Georgia Southern does play Georgia State, we beat you by 50 just to shut you up.

Eaglesrus
July 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I don't loathe GA St.; don't care enough about it to do so.

panama
July 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Personally I think you guys are irrelevant since we're the second largest university in the state and youre the 5th.

I don't loathe GA St.; don't care enough about it to do so.

Eaglesrus
July 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Personally I think you guys are irrelevant since we're the second largest university in the state and youre the 5th.

Interesting. If you think we're irrelevant why do you spend so much time on our board and here talking about us?

eaglemachine
July 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM

great claim to fame for a commuter school

Hammer22
July 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Interesting. If you think we're irrelevant why do you spend so much time on our board and here talking about us?

The same reason you and the minions spend so much time on our board and here talking about us.

Eaglesrus
July 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
The same reason you and the minions spend so much time on our board and here talking about us.

Sorry, never been on your board.

panama
July 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I assume you have been on YOUR board. At least one topic a week appears now trash talking us.

Eaglesrus
July 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I assume you have been on YOUR board. At least one topic a week appears now trash talking us.

I started this exchange saying I don't loathe GA St. because I don't care about GA St., you said you think we're irrelevant, I questioned the length of time you spend talking about us; so, what's your point here related to this conversation?

panama
July 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM
You got me. I have no idea how you guys ended up in this convo. The thread is about why we're playing Bama. Maybe we should get it back to that.

I started this exchange saying I don't loathe GA St. because I don't care about GA St., you said you think we're irrelevant, I questioned the length of time you spend talking about us; so, what's your point here related to this conversation?

SaintDK10
July 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Who said anything about football? GSU and GA Southern have been rivals for decades in basketball and baseball going back to the TAAC days. There is a reason CY requested a mobilization of your alumni for the basketball game last year. Not that it did you any good as those poor fans of yours watch probably one of the worst beatdowns in college basketball history, but that's besides the point.

As far as you hoping you'll beat us by 50, well, you keep the hope alive chief. Hope is all there is these days down in Statesboro.

SaintDK10
July 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
No, you haven't, but characters like TALON, ValleyBoy, paintballer and a few others have been trolling our boards for months now before any of us ventured out to your board. And unlike the three southern stooges that litter all over our boards, at least we stick to the smack board on your site. But don't you be confused about who started all this. Your Statesboro faithfull are so insecure with us starting football, it's practically oozing from the screen. I assure you, you and your has-been program are not even a blimp on our radar, and likely the only time we'll be ever meeting on the gridiron is when we pay you to come to the Dome for a tune-up beatdown in the next 5-7 years. Hope that clears it up for you.

Eaglesrus
July 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
No, you haven't, but characters like TALON, ValleyBoy, paintballer and a few others have been trolling our boards for months now before any of us ventured out to your board. And unlike the three southern stooges that litter all over our boards, at least we stick to the smack board on your site. But don't you be confused about who started all this. Your Statesboro faithfull are so insecure with us starting football, it's practically oozing from the screen. I assure you, you and your has-been program are not even a blimp on our radar, and likely the only time we'll be ever meeting on the gridiron is when we pay you to come to the Dome for a tune-up beatdown in the next 5-7 years. Hope that clears it up for you.

If by "clears it up for you" means confirms that you're delusional, then yeah, that does it. A BLIMP on your radar screen? That's clever!

panama
July 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I am sure he meant blip. ;)

If by "clears it up for you" means confirms that you're delusional, then yeah, that does it. A BLIMP on your radar screen? That's clever!

JMUNJ08
July 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Just wanted to note that we have 17 Freshman, 37 Red-Shirt Freshman, 12 Red-Shirt Sophomores, 11 Juniors, 14 Red-Shirt Juniors, 6 Red-Shirt Seniors on the roster.

Thus if you assume the following:
The average Freshman is 18
The average Red-Shirt Freshman is 19
The average Sophomore is 19
The average Red-Shirt Sophomore is 20
The average Junior is 20
The average Red-Shirt Junior is 21
The average Senior is 21
and, the average Red-Shirt Senior is 22
then we have:
17, 18 yr. olds; 37, 19 yr. olds; 23, 20 yr. olds; 14, 21 yr. olds; and 6, 22 yr. olds.

So its not like it'll all be freshman and red shirt freshman on the field.

To those saying it is NOT boys vs. men and that it is NOT predominantly a team of freshmen, I see a total of 97 players with 54 being FRESHMEN! That means 56% of your roster have never taken a snap of college football! I am not going to look at all the rosters around the country but I'm sure outside of start ups that is the largest amount at the D-1 level.

I don't really have a problem with GA St. taking the payday with great exposure. Its Alabama who looks like the bully here. This seems to be the opposite of the sportsmanship shown by the two softball teams earlier this year when a high octane team played a team without equipment or ability to play. They forfeited the game and gave gear and lessons to the players instead of humiliating them just cuz some AD put them on the schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5218228

Now I know I'm probably the first one to make a softball reference for football and I'll take my lumps for it but doesn't it sound kinda like Ga St. @ 'Bama 2010??? Except 'Bama will just go ahead and win 73-7.

SaintDK10
July 24th, 2010, 05:44 PM
To those saying it is NOT boys vs. men and that it is NOT predominantly a team of freshmen, I see a total of 97 players with 54 being FRESHMEN! That means 56% of your roster have never taken a snap of college football! I am not going to look at all the rosters around the country but I'm sure outside of start ups that is the largest amount at the D-1 level.

I don't really have a problem with GA St. taking the payday with great exposure. Its Alabama who looks like the bully here. This seems to be the opposite of the sportsmanship shown by the two softball teams earlier this year when a high octane team played a team without equipment or ability to play. They forfeited the game and gave gear and lessons to the players instead of humiliating them just cuz some AD put them on the schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5218228

Now I know I'm probably the first one to make a softball reference for football and I'll take my lumps for it but doesn't it sound kinda like Ga St. @ 'Bama 2010??? Except 'Bama will just go ahead and win 73-7.
Oh, you won't look at other rosters around the country? That's OK, because I will!

Let's start with JMU's roster last year. 44 out of a 100 players were freshmen, and were by far the largest group of any other grade/year. Delaware had 49 freshmen on their roster, so GSU's 56 is really not that drastic of a difference, especially considering we are a start-up. The bigger point here, however, is how many of our freshmen are starters and the answer is NONE, sans maybe one player at cornerback, although I doubt even he will get the spot.

As far as the softball comparison, well, you just have to chuckle at that one.

glsjunior
July 24th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Let's just get to the truth. Most of you cats have penis envy because GSU has been talked about nationally more than any of you schools that have been playing decades of college football. You are jealous that we can go into any Barnes and Noble and pick up a best seller written by our head football coach. You are envious that we play in a top notch facility like the Georgia Dome, while most of you all play in glorified high school stadiums. You are mad that the state we recruit in literally pisses out on a regular basis, the top notch recruits that you other FCS programs have to struggle to get. You hate us because you wish you could be us, but you can't because you're not. DEAL WITH IT!

TheBisonator
July 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Let's just get to the truth. Most of you cats have penis envy because GSU has been talked about nationally more than any of you schools that have been playing decades of college football. You are jealous that we can go into any Barnes and Noble and pick up a best seller written by our head football coach. You are envious that we play in a top notch facility like the Georgia Dome, while most of you all play in glorified high school stadiums. You are mad that the state we recruit in literally pisses out on a regular basis, the top notch recruits that you other FCS programs have to struggle to get. You hate us because you wish you could be us, but you can't because you're not. DEAL WITH IT!

Shouldn't you wait until your school plays one football game before smacking off like that??

glsjunior
July 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Probably, but I'm from Georgia, we think we invented football.

Umpire
July 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Drop the attitude or take it to the Smack Forum.

panama
July 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM
There's a such thing as football talk without smack????

JMUNJ08
July 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Oh, you won't look at other rosters around the country? That's OK, because I will!

Let's start with JMU's roster last year. 44 out of a 100 players were freshmen, and were by far the largest group of any other grade/year. Delaware had 49 freshmen on their roster, so GSU's 56 is really not that drastic of a difference, especially considering we are a start-up. The bigger point here, however, is how many of our freshmen are starters and the answer is NONE, sans maybe one player at cornerback, although I doubt even he will get the spot.

As far as the softball comparison, well, you just have to chuckle at that one.

I am glad you wasted your time and I didn't. So we were considered young last year with 44% of our roster as freshmen, therefore, yours is younger. I think the bigger issue will be your 2-deep. An injury here or there and you got a lot of raw talent out there against guys wearing bling that cost more than your tuition. It took us half a season to get a true freshman QB up to speed and cost us a playoff berth. All I know is I put the blame on 'Bama and can't stand Saban, but for 1 day this year I will be a 'Bama fan...xhurrayx

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM

You're not even the top team in your city. We're not jealous. xlolx

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
There's a such thing as football talk without smack????

Not to a Georgia State fan.

jlandrus23
July 24th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I am going to root for GSU, as if they win or keep it close, it make the FCS look better. It may even get more people to pay attention to the FCS.

glsjunior
July 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I mean its not like we are playing Alabama in our first game, its our last game of the season. We will probably be playing their freshman and sophmores for the most part.

I'm not worried about our young guys. All they've had to do for the last year and a half is lift weights, eat and go to class. Our transfers have experience playing in big games and our starting 5 star QB has a BCS Championship ring.

That being said..I just hope we score. lol

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=12700&atclid=204924138

Hammer22
July 25th, 2010, 01:29 PM
All I know is I put the blame on 'Bama and can't stand Saban, but for 1 day this year I will be a 'Bama fan...xhurrayx

I present you:

http://topherlewis.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/hater_tots1.jpg

SideLine Shooter
July 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Makes about as much sense as a bucket of poop. "Pardon my French."

SideLine Shooter
July 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Great PR for the program. Smart move on the Panthers part.

Do you really think this game will help in recruiting? It will take 30 years to undo all the damage from having this game on the U. It could possibly hurt both programs. I just don't see that much thought at all went into this decision. Sorry, it's just my opinion. xsmhx

JSU02
July 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
All I know is I put the blame on 'Bama and can't stand Saban, but for 1 day this year I will be a 'Bama fan...xhurrayx

Anyone else hoping they both lose? xlolx

SaintDK10
July 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I am glad you wasted your time and I didn't. So we were considered young last year with 44% of our roster as freshmen, therefore, yours is younger. I think the bigger issue will be your 2-deep. An injury here or there and you got a lot of raw talent out there against guys wearing bling that cost more than your tuition. It took us half a season to get a true freshman QB up to speed and cost us a playoff berth. All I know is I put the blame on 'Bama and can't stand Saban, but for 1 day this year I will be a 'Bama fan...xhurrayx
Waste my time?! It took 30 seconds to pull up your roster and count the number of freshmen, but good to see you're putting zero thought and research into your posts. And in case you've been sleeping under a rock (or throwing one during the latest riots in Harrisonburg), it would be beneficial for you to know that our QB is not a freshman, but a transfer from Alabama with that national championship bling you're so eloquently touting. Don't worry, you'll see him plenty in 2012.

panama
July 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I think we're overstating "the damage" that will be done. The only difference is between this any other "tune up" game is that GSU is in year one. But has already been stated, when we walk into Bryant Denny not one freshman will be starting on either side of the ball. It will be Juniors and Sophomores with a heavy dose of transfers from FBS and JUCO schools.These starters will have already played 10 games in which their timing and chemistry will have developed.
We also must remember that most likely Bama will walk into this game either 10-0 or 9-1. There will be zero chance of their 1st teamers seeing any time whatsoever. So if this gets bad like most tune ups it may be a 50-7 drubbing. But to try and draw a circle around this game as some college football Armageddon is seriously overstating its importance. As for recruiting it will help because we will be on TV, they will play our commercial at half time, they will mention a half dozen times that we play in the Dome and remember, nobody expects anything other then a 70-3 loss from us. So there are no expectations and all the opportunity in the world for us to start creating a brand imprint.

JMUNJ08
July 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Waste my time?! It took 30 seconds to pull up your roster and count the number of freshmen, but good to see you're putting zero thought and research into your posts. And in case you've been sleeping under a rock (or throwing one during the latest riots in Harrisonburg), it would be beneficial for you to know that our QB is not a freshman, but a transfer from Alabama with that national championship bling you're so eloquently touting. Don't worry, you'll see him plenty in 2012.

I never mentioned a freshman QB at GSU...I usually will at least read your post before responding. I mentioned your 2-deep and how we struggled when a key injury occured at quarterback. Thanks for reading about how the block party was also considered to be just 1/2 JMU and 1/2 other schools/locals who caused most of the problems. How are the parties at a commuter school? I'm not sure why I've never been to one....

JMUNJ08
July 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I think we're overstating "the damage" that will be done. The only difference is between this any other "tune up" game is that GSU is in year one. But has already been stated, when we walk into Bryant Denny not one freshman will be starting on either side of the ball. It will be Juniors and Sophomores with a heavy dose of transfers from FBS and JUCO schools.These starters will have already played 10 games in which their timing and chemistry will have developed.
We also must remember that most likely Bama will walk into this game either 10-0 or 9-1. There will be zero chance of their 1st teamers seeing any time whatsoever. So if this gets bad like most tune ups it may be a 50-7 drubbing. But to try and draw a circle around this game as some college football Armageddon is seriously overstating its importance. As for recruiting it will help because we will be on TV, they will play our commercial at half time, they will mention a half dozen times that we play in the Dome and remember, nobody expects anything other then a 70-3 loss from us. So there are no expectations and all the opportunity in the world for us to start creating a brand imprint.

Really good post by a Ga St. fan. You make a lot of sense. Again, I think this is more how bad 'Bama looks for scheduling a start-up when they are vying for another championship. 'Bama gains nothing no matter the score except that the reserves get some game action and the starters can rest injuries. You are right though, with a lot of the bad FCS/FBS games early in the season, all most of us are looking for are our schools' commercials and a little commentary on who we are so the 99% of the country that hasn't heard of us can acknowledge that we exist and play some good ball at FCS level.

SaintDK10
July 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I never mentioned a freshman QB at GSU...I usually will at least read your post before responding. I mentioned your 2-deep and how we struggled when a key injury occured at quarterback. Thanks for reading about how the block party was also considered to be just 1/2 JMU and 1/2 other schools/locals who caused most of the problems. How are the parties at a commuter school? I'm not sure why I've never been to one....

No, you mentioned your own true freshmen QB and I told you who our QB is, not to mention that that our back up QBs would at the very least be red-shirt freshmen as opposed to true freshmen.

As far as parties at a "commuter school," I can assure you the parties thrown here at Georgia State range from the traditional keggers to 5,000-student mixers at clubs like Opera (look it up) -- parties the likes of Harrisonburg can't even comprehend. You kids throw your little raves at a school library. Here in Atlanta, the world's top DJs come on monthly basis. There are more concerts, festivals and pub crawls in Atlanta in one month than there are parties in Harrisonburg in a whole year.

The only difference is we don't riot afterward. You guys seem to have gotten that one down quite well. Oh wait, that's right, it was the "other" schools and locals who caused the riots. Too bad for you there is this thing called YouTube. Should I start posting some video of the JMU faithful at their best, or do you want to end this topic right here?

panama
July 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Regarding partying at GSU, believe it or not GSU has always been a heavy party school because we're in Atlanta and there have always been a lots of clubs and bars. I attended GSU when zero students lived on campus and yet we would be out 4 nights a week. The difference was that 95% of these parties we're off campus. But GSU has never been a total 100% go to class and go home commuter school. We party as hard as any other school, sometimes harder.

No, you mentioned your own true freshmen QB and I told you who our QB is, not to mention that that our back up QBs would at the very least be red-shirt freshmen as opposed to true freshmen.

As far as parties at a "commuter school," I can assure you the parties thrown here at Georgia State range from the traditional keggers to 5,000-student mixers at clubs like Opera (look it up) -- parties the likes of Harrisonburg can't even comprehend. You kids throw your little raves at a school library. Here in Atlanta, the world's top DJs come on monthly basis. There are more concerts, festivals and pub crawls in Atlanta in one month than there are parties in Harrisonburg in a whole year.

The only difference is we don't riot afterward. You guys seem to have gotten that one down quite well. Oh wait, that's right, it was the "other" schools and locals who caused the riots. Too bad for you there is this thing called YouTube. Should I start posting some video of the JMU faithful at their best, or do you want to end this topic right here?

NHwildEcat
July 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I didn't know this thread was about GSU vs other schools in respect to partying...Party school or not a party school? Does not matter. The point of a college.university is to provide people with educations and that is the ONLY responsibility of a school. Let's stick to the topic of the thread and not some pointless garbage!

panama
July 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
We're cutting off your espresso.

I didn't know this thread was about GSU vs other schools in respect to partying...Party school or not a party school? Does not matter. The point of a college.university is to provide people with educations and that is the ONLY responsibility of a school. Let's stick to the topic of the thread and not some pointless garbage!

wr70beh
July 26th, 2010, 02:05 PM

The ODU folks are getting big heads pretty fast. They're turning into JMU East.

The Cats
July 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
this thread is way to funny to let die.....

JMUNJ08
July 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
The ODU folks are getting big heads pretty fast. They're turning into JMU East.

We played high quality competition and we knew where we were at last year. A playoff caliber team that needed some breaks. A key injury and it was all about saving face and 6-5 was a pleasant surprise considering the 4 game losing streak midseason to the top teams in the country let alone the conference (yes, can't explain Hofstra). ODU did not know what to expect but had a great year for a start up but against low level teams that are not on the everyday CAA schedule. There is nothing about a big head there to bring in JMU...

JMUNJ08
July 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM

Regarding partying at GSU, believe it or not GSU has always been a heavy party school because we're in Atlanta and there have always been a lots of clubs and bars. I attended GSU when zero students lived on campus and yet we would be out 4 nights a week. The difference was that 95% of these parties we're off campus. But GSU has never been a total 100% go to class and go home commuter school. We party as hard as any other school, sometimes harder.

Fine, I give up. xbowxxbowxxbowx

The point was not about partying which was brought up by Saint. Can't compare ATL to Harrisonburg. I will give you props for all your smack once that first snap is taken and there is substance to back it up.

Until then, there is a game in November with GA St. vs. Alabama?

Just curious, what are your expectations for the season? Do we need another thread or is it discussed already in another? No smack there, just wondering since there has been a lot of buildup and ODU's success.