PDA

View Full Version : Buck Buchanan Award Watch List

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The race for the 2010 Buck Buchanan Award, sponsored by Fathead.com, kicked off Monday with The Sports Network's announcement that four finalists from last season are part of a stellar 20- player Watch List for the Football Championship Subdivision's top individual honor.

In a twist, two of the returning finalists have brought a pair of teammates to the Watch List.

Christian Anthony, Grambling
Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky
Christian Clark, Sacramento State
Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
Jabari Fletcher, Appalachian State
Jason House, Southern
Trumaine Johnson, Montana
Mark Legree, Appalachian State
Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois
Eric McBride, Richmond
Mike McElroy, Southern Illinois
Martin Parker, Richmond
Justin Rogers, Richmond
J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington
Bryce Smith, Samford
D.J. Smith, Appalachian State
Malcolm Taylor, Alcorn State
Terence Thomas, Villanova
James Vercammen, Dayton
Jabara Williams, Stephen F Austin

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4327474

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Christian Anthony, Grambling
Jeremy Caldwell, Eastern Kentucky
Christian Clark, Sacramento State
Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
Jabari Fletcher, Appalachian State
Jason House, Southern
Trumaine Johnson, Montana
Mark Legree, Appalachian State
Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois
Eric McBride, Richmond
Mike McElroy, Southern Illinois
Martin Parker, Richmond
Justin Rogers, Richmond
J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington
Bryce Smith, Samford
D.J. Smith, Appalachian State

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4327474

Too many players from one school on both of the lists. I think 3 is a bit too much. Probably need to spread the wealth a little bit and be politically correct putting more leagues on the list but good players. Nobody on here has no business being on the list at all except for Fletcher at App State.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Too many players from one school on both of the lists. I think 3 is a bit too much. Probably need to spread the wealth a little bit and be politically correct putting more leagues on the list but good players. Nobody on here has no business being on the list at all except for Fletcher at App State.

Tommy Connors, Southeastern

He's a good enough player to put on the list and it would "share the wealth". Bouncing back from an injury, but he's going to be fine...

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Tommy Connors, Southeastern

He's a good enough player to put on the list and it would "share the wealth". Bouncing back from an injury, but he's going to be fine...

Share the wealth is the wrong word. More like being politically correct and spread the conference representation around. If you noticed from Dougherty, Coulson, etc. they all would put at least one player from each league or at least 1 guy from the Pioneer League or NEC. Gowins from SBU and Patterson from GWU would have been good to put on from the Big South. I think the SoCon has 1 too many on there.

AppAlum2003
July 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Agreed. I love watching Jabari play. In fact, on NCAA 2011, I play at DE as Jabari and stay in the QB's face all game long. However, he doesn't belong on this list. Not yet.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM

I'm a bit suprised too. While I'm sure App State has a decent defense, I'm not sure they have three of the top defensive players in the country on their defense.

AppTrex77
July 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm a bit suprised too. While I'm sure App State has a decent defense, I'm not sure they have three of the top defensive players in the country on their defense.

You have to admit that these are three strong defensive players who could hold their own against any of the others listed.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Share the wealth is the wrong word. More like being politically correct and spread the conference representation around. If you noticed from Dougherty, Coulson, etc. they all would put at least one player from each league or at least 1 guy from the Pioneer League or NEC. Gowins from SBU and Patterson from GWU would have been good to put on from the Big South. I think the SoCon has 1 too many on there.

The kid from Dayton is on the list, giving the Pioneer some representation...

seantaylor
July 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Brent Russell is the best D linemen in the country. Him not being on this list makes it bunk.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Yes but no one from the Patriot League, NEC, Big South, etc. A lot of leagues left out in this.

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Brent Russell is the best D linemen in the country. Him not being on this list makes it bunk.

You think he is better than Renard Williams, Christian Anthony, Kenrick Ellis, etc.? I don't know about that. I have seen all of the top guys and I would say Russell is the 4th or 5th best. Anthony, Williams, and Ellis are better and then I would put Russell in that next tier.

One thing you guys who are fans of one particular school and have not seen everyone have to be careful of is the fact those statements sound homerish. Russell is a great player and one of the best DTs in the nation but unless you have seen Anthony and the others the statement holds zero weight. Anthony is the best DL in the country, not just my opinion, that of every NFL team, coaches, etc. Russell is great though. He could be very special before all is said and done.

DetroitFlyer
July 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Nice to see JJ Vercamen of Dayton on the list. It has been a while since Dayton had a player on both the Buchanan and Payton lists at the start of the season.... OK, it is the first time ever! SWEET! Can't wait for this season to get underway!

AshevilleApp
July 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM

No but they have 2 (Smith and Legree)

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
No but they have 2 (Smith and Legree)

Definitely true. Both have a good shot to play on Sundays.

AppStsGr8
July 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM

"The Buchanan Award Watch List can undergo revision during the 2010 season, when updated lists are announced on Oct. 4 and 25. Ballots will be sent to a panel of approximately 200 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries after the regular season on Nov. 22."

The watch list is just that - a watch list. These are the guys the SID's et al will focus on as the season begins. It doesn't mean anyone's been excluded from the list ... yet.

ur2k
July 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Shows that Richmond will have a stout defense again this year with those 3 guys as the anchors of the D - not sure how we'll be on the offensive side of the ball.

AppAlum2003
July 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM
"The Buchanan Award Watch List can undergo revision during the 2010 season, when updated lists are announced on Oct. 4 and 25. Ballots will be sent to a panel of approximately 200 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries after the regular season on Nov. 22."

The watch list is just that - a watch list. These are the guys the SID's et al will focus on as the season begins. It doesn't mean anyone's been excluded from the list ... yet.

Oh, you must have just met seantaylor... he's not concerned with silly things like facts and stats and rules. And you're supposed to refute posts with one line, angry, opinion-laced comments about Georgia Southern.

ngineer
July 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I agree. For preseason 'checklists' there should be more diversity. Cannot believe there wouldn't be one PL player listed. I know the list gets modified as the year moves along, but having 3 from one school and no one from several other conferences makes no sense and is driven by a lot of SID PR BS.

appst97
July 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Distribution of wealth? ask B. Hussein Obama how that's going for him?

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM

I'm not for distribution of wealth but in the preseason it is smart to try and represent as many conferences as possible to get more pub from each league. Also, having 3 from one school waters it down. I mean you are telling me ASU and Richmond have 3 of the top 20 defensive players in the nation anyway? Neither defense was a top 5 defense nationally last year. If you are going to go with that many from one team at least pick them from a top 5 defense. I just think right now it is good to get good PR from as many teams and leagues as you can. Then if 3 from one team truly deserve it in the final revision you can do so. I would almost be willing to bet that at least 1, maybe 2, of the guys from every team who has 3 on one list will not be there at the end anyway.

Squealofthepig
July 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I agree. For preseason 'checklists' there should be more diversity. Cannot believe there wouldn't be one PL player listed. I know the list gets modified as the year moves along, but having 3 from one school and no one from several other conferences makes no sense and is driven by a lot of SID PR BS.

Only one Missouri Valley player as well, which also surprises me. But again, this is just the initial checklist - will be very different from the end. Though the absence of any PL players surprises me, too.

And if you're a fan of someone who got dissed, rest assured that that player probably will play with a bit more of an edge to prove himself.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM

xlolxxlolxxrotatehx Would it just be 'the Patriotic thing' for Richmond to do if we gave one of our Buchanan Watch guys back?

MR. CHICKEN
July 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM

IS DIS LIST...SUPPOSED TA BE LIKE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.....WHERE SOMEBODAH FROM EVERAH TEAM.....HAS TA MAKE DUH SQWAD??.......IFIN' 3 PLAYERS FROM DUH SAME TEAM ARE NOMINATED......&...DESERVIN'...........HEY...IFIN' DUH TOP TWENTY PLAYERS LISTED......ARE FROM DUH SO-GONE/SOUFFLAND/CAA...AREN'T DEY DUH TOP TWENTY?????????????????...........xconfusedx...... .BRAWK!

GlassOnion
July 19th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Smith and Legree absolutely belong there, and Fletcher most likely will by the end of this season. Lanston Tanyi and Jabari Fletcher will dominate this year Hunter/Murrel style. They are as big as the APP's 2005 NC DTs and are fast. They will also have the benefit of depth this year, something that injuries hurt last season, and a very promising crop of DTs (5 Jrs, 1 Sr including the 3 jr transfers,) most of which are hovering around the 300 lb mark, which is ENORMOUS by ASU standards. Everything points to them having a great year, and as Fletchers numbers are already great, why would you leave him off of a PRESEASON list? The list is nothing but speculation, and this list looks as good as anything else they could have come up with.

SO ILLmatic
July 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Only one Missouri Valley player as well, which also surprises me.

Actually two MVFC football players - but both from one school.

McElroy & Lindsey - both Salukis.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
DT/DE Renard Williams had only 1/2 sack or 1 sack less than Christian Clark (depending on whose stats sheet you look at), yet had 2 more TFL in 9 less tackles. Don't get why he was snubbed, other than Clark is a Sr. and Williams only a Jr.

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2010, 01:44 AM
DT/DE Renard Williams had only 1/2 sack or 1 sack less than Christian Clark (depending on whose stats sheet you look at), yet had 2 more TFL in 9 less tackles. Don't get why he was snubbed, other than Clark is a Sr. and Williams only a Jr.

Yes likely had to be it. It is not all about the numbers as I think Williams is by far the better player regardless of what the numbers say.

Squealofthepig
July 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Actually two MVFC football players - but both from one school.

McElroy & Lindsey - both Salukis.

Yeah, my bad. Couting on a Monday is a superpower I apparently don't have. :) Thanks for the correx!

PhoenixSupreme
July 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I do agree with the people who said that the list should show more diversity for a preseason list, at least no more than 2 per school. If the list is gonna be revised in the middle of the season, and the players currently on the list now perform well, then they'll end up making the mid-season list...their stats won't lie.

AppTrex77
July 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I'm not for distribution of wealth but in the preseason it is smart to try and represent as many conferences as possible to get more pub from each league. Also, having 3 from one school waters it down. I mean you are telling me ASU and Richmond have 3 of the top 20 defensive players in the nation anyway? Neither defense was a top 5 defense nationally last year. If you are going to go with that many from one team at least pick them from a top 5 defense. I just think right now it is good to get good PR from as many teams and leagues as you can. Then if 3 from one team truly deserve it in the final revision you can do so. I would almost be willing to bet that at least 1, maybe 2, of the guys from every team who has 3 on one list will not be there at the end anyway.

If defensive teams were being picked instead of individuals, I would say that you are absolutely correct. However, this is individual recognition and will be based on individual stats. As you previously stated, there can be many changes during the year and the ones who are on the list at the end are the ones who really count. Hopefully, our App guys will justify themselves this year.

mikebigg
July 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Fans tend to overhype players...I'm guilty of that. But with Christian Anthony, it's no hype. Can't wait to see him against LaTech in the season opener. I don't think they can block him to be honest!

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Fans tend to overhype players...I'm guilty of that. But with Christian Anthony, it's no hype. Can't wait to see him against LaTech in the season opener. I don't think they can block him to be honest!

As you point out fans over hype players and it is possible to over hype any player but Anthony is the real deal. Still, it is good to hear folks who are not fans of that team hype a player. For example, non ASU fans talked about how great Armanti Edwards was. Same thing with non GSU fans on Adrian Peterson. Just to name a couple. Hopefully Anthony continues to improve and if he is just a little bit better this year I know it will be an amazing season for him.

For those who don't know he had a baby this summer. I know the proud poppa is ready to wreak havoc on QBs. If any of you see him make sure to congratulate him on the baby!! xhurrayx

kng23
July 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
I don't have my favorites, but why does it matter if a school has three nominations? At the end of the day it's all about who performs the best at the end of this up-coming season. Now I do love my "Mountaineers" but all I have to say is may the best man win!