PDA

View Full Version : Out of Curiosity

TC CAT
July 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Would you vote to keep your conference champion out of the FCS football playoffs, for the chance to play another conference champion in a bowl game that has no meaning but, would provide each participating conference $1.5 million?

It has been suggested that many non-HBCU conferences would jump at the opportunity to earn $1.5 million and be on ESPN. Please no smack, discussion, or reasoning - yes or no!

mad_dog97
July 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
No

JBB
July 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Definitely yes.

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Nope, I would much rather compete for a championship.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM
How much is the winner's share of the $1.5M?

darell1976
July 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Nope, I would much rather compete for a championship.

Ditto!!

bonarae
July 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
If only the Presidents would allow us to compete in a bowl game, still a no.

TexasTerror
July 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Let's keep in mind that the MEAC schools are estimated to get $65-75k after the $1.5M payout is split up. Most of our schools can get that in a single basketball guarantee game...

I would rather compete for a national championship. If SHSU were getting $1.5M annually (regardless of its own participation), I'd be more willing to listen, though still prefer the championship chase. However, if it were $1.5M per school annually and my school were in the same dire financial straits athletically that many of the SWAC (and for that matter, the SLC Louisiana) schools find themselves in today, it would be tough to turn down.

Each of our FCS schools have different individual goals and issues that would lead us to choose a certain path.

TC CAT
July 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Let's keep in mind that the MEAC schools are estimated to get $65-75k after the $1.5M payout is split up. Most of our schools can get that in a single basketball guarantee game...

I would rather compete for a national championship. If SHSU were getting $1.5M annually (regardless of its own participation), I'd be more willing to listen, though still prefer the championship chase. However, if it were $1.5M per school annually and my school were in the same dire financial straits athletically that many of the SWAC (and for that matter, the SLC Louisiana) schools find themselves in today, it would be tough to turn down.

Each of our FCS schools have different individual goals and issues that would lead us to choose a certain path.

I opted to leave out variables because as far as I am aware, no poster from the SWAC or MEAC has actually stated that the proposed payout will determine whether or not their respective school will remain in the FCS Division.

WestCoastAggie
July 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
How much is the winner's share of the $1.5M?

This is (MOST LIKELY) the MEAC's plan to split that $1.5 so lets use this for purposes to answer this Poll question.

This is probably why the MEAC Commish has a gag order in place...This hsit is ridiculous. [image]

I just heard from a credible source about the following payout plan for the Chittlin Bowl:

MEAC Office - Will get 50% of the cut. ($750,000) :o

Remaining $750,000 will get divided by 11 shares ($68,181 per share) :D >:(

10 Football Playing Teams will get - $68,181 :D >:(

2 Non-Football Playing schools will split a share and get - $34K

My source says there is a chance the MEAC champion could get a little more than the other teams...But after the MEAC Office take a big sloppy bite out of it you see what we have to work with. :D [image]

This is the guaranteed money. I know they are hoping to get some sponsors so the dollar figure could go up...But that's not guaranteed...

This is truly comical.
http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz&action=display&thread=3659&page=1

ur2k
July 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how many different threads do we need to discuss the same thing? xbangx

WestCoastAggie
July 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Out of curiosity, how many different threads do we need to discuss the same thing? xbangx

Don't worry, Football season will be here soon enough.

McNeese75
July 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Nope

TC CAT
July 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Not a discussion, rather a yes or no answer from non-HBCU posters that have schools participating in the FCS playoffs.

Squealofthepig
July 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
This will change based on each school's respective financial situation, and where they are in the general conference standings. A healthy school? They'll say, give us the championship and the prestige. Not too many of them, really. The middle of the conference? They'll say, hey, give us the money. And bottom of the conference? Well, err, derp.

This should really come as no surprise to anyone; not sure the purpose of this thread other than to gauge how healthy fans view their respective teams.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM
This will change based on each school's respective financial situation, and where they are in the general conference standings. A healthy school? They'll say, give us the championship and the prestige. Not too many of them, really. The middle of the conference? They'll say, hey, give us the money. And bottom of the conference? Well, err, derp.

This should really come as no surprise to anyone; not sure the purpose of this thread other than to gauge how healthy fans view their respective teams.

I'd tend to agree and based off this statement the majority would punt the playoffs for the payoffs.

darell1976
July 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Not a discussion, rather a yes or no answer from non-HBCU posters that have schools participating in the FCS playoffs.

Maybe I missed it but what does HBCU stand for?

TC CAT
July 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Maybe I missed it but what does HBCU stand for?

HBCU = Historically Black Colleges and Universities
PWC = Predominantly White Colleges

Understand that not one advocate of the proposed Legacy Bowl has stated that "my school needs the $100,00.00 payout in order "to remain an FCS school." It appears to me that pro Legacy Bowl advocates are saying that a school loses money by competing in the playoffs. Therefore the question is, would you rather have your school compete for a National Championship or play in a bowl game for $100,00.00 and a chance to be seen on ESPN?

mikebigg
July 18th, 2010, 11:09 PM
HBCU = Historically Black Colleges and Universities
PWC = Predominantly White Colleges

Understand that not one advocate of the proposed Legacy Bowl has stated that "my school needs the $100,00.00 payout in order "to remain an FCS school." It appears to me that pro Legacy Bowl advocates are saying that a school loses money by competing in the playoffs. Therefore the question is, would you rather have your school compete for a National Championship or play in a bowl game for $100,00.00 and a chance to be seen on ESPN?

The SWAC has no other choice...rather than wait for a possible at-large bid, we have a conference championship and if it comes to fruition a Bowl game that generates revenue. Two sure thing versus a possible... which would you choose?

brian
July 19th, 2010, 01:42 AM
No.

BUT, if the number was bigger than $1.5million and the other conference was the SEC, then probably.

lionsrking2
July 19th, 2010, 02:20 AM
First of all, I would not vote to give up an opportunity to participate in the playoffs, and a chance at the National Championship; but then again, I'm not in the shoes of a SWAC or MEAC school. I guess if I was, I would strongly consider it, given the fact that there's very little chance a school from either conference will ever win a NC again - or win more than one playoff game for that matter (excluding South Carolina State).

If the choice is getting embarrassed in the playoffs, or having an extremely remote chance of winning a NC, versus playing an 11-game schedule and being guaranteed 60 to 70 grand for doing virtually nothing, it tends to make some sense.

TokyoGriz
July 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Would you vote to keep your conference champion out of the FCS football playoffs, for the chance to play another conference champion in a bowl game that has no meaning but, would provide each participating conference $1.5 million?

It has been suggested that many non-HBCU conferences would jump at the opportunity to earn $1.5 million and be on ESPN. Please no smack, discussion, or reasoning - yes or no!

$1.5 Million would go a Looong ways for some programs on tight budgets in FCS.... and many would take that money if they could.

But for Montana I would take a decent Bowl game over a chance to be in the playoffs just to get to play the big boys.

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Not hating on SC State, but I don't see the logic behind feeling that they are the only HBCU school capable of winning in the playoffs. It's the same favorable type comments directed toward Hampton a few seasons ago. Will FAMU be the next favored choice as the lone HBCU capable of winning a game? That's really the tone given by most posters who comment on this topic. There are several HBCU's capable of winning and the ability to win has nothing to do with whether a school is an HBCU or not.

Consider that SC State was fortunate to hold on and beat Grambling last year due to turnovers..my point is that there are numerous HBCU's including several in the SWAC who are capable of winning a playoff game. Because we don't particpate in the playoffs while SC State, Hampton, or FAMU does, it doesn't mean they or any of the FCS schools they "almost" beat are more likely to automatic wins versus the SWAC.

We are FCS too... just because we don't participate in the playoffs doesn't mean we don't have good teams. If SC State is deemed capable of winning, based on facts rather than opinion so are other teams in the SWAC.

wapiti
July 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
$1.5 Million would go a Looong ways for some programs on tight budgets in FCS.... and many would take that money if they could.

But for Montana I would take a decent Bowl game over a chance to be in the playoffs just to get to play the big boys.

You may have not noticed, but it is 1.5 mil to EACH conference, NOT each team in the game. So the winning team might get 250K, the loser gets 150K, the rest split up evenly among the rest of the teams in the conferences represented.

Playoffs money:
If you lose a first round game, you may come home with upto 100K.
A second round loss may result upto 250K to go home with (includes winnings from 1st round win).
A third round loss may result in 400K to go home with.
A championship may result in more than 600K to go home with.

I do not know what the payoff amounts are for the playoff teams. I took a guess and it may depend on ticket sales and broadcasting revenue.
I would really question that an FSC bowl game would result in more payout money than the playoff system we have now.
I would be more willing to watch a playoff game than a bowl game.

So I vote for a playoffs. If your team wins, it ends up with more money to go home with.

The bowl games, in my opinion, would bring home less than money than the palyoffs do.

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
You may have not noticed, but it is 1.5 mil to EACH conference, NOT each team in the game. So the winning team might get 250K, the loser gets 150K, the rest split up evenly among the rest of the teams in the conferences represented.

Playoffs money:
A second round loss may result upto 250K to go home with (includes winnings from 1st round win).

I do not know what the payoff amounts are for the playoff teams. I took a guess and it may depend on ticket sales and broadcasting revenue.
I would really question that an FSC bowl game would result in more payout money than the playoff system we have now.

So I vote for a playoffs. If your team wins, it ends up with more money to go home with.

The bowl games, in my opinion, would bring home less than money than the palyoffs do.

Are these actual numbers or based on actual numbers?

I recall seeing a thread that showed (I believe it was Richmond) or one of the recent champions netted $30k total from 3 games. Anyone else remembers that thread?

3rd Coast Tiger
July 19th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Playoffs money:

If that is the payout, I would recommend the SWAC gets back into the FCS playoff business!

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
If that is the payout, I would recommend the SWAC gets back into the FCS playoff business!

Trust me, if this was the payout then the SWAC would defintely get back into the Playoff bizness.

Okay, think about this... If the teams were allowed to keep the lion share of the proceeds then
ain't no one can convince me that any school in the SWAC with a 19k seating capacity venue wouldn't want to host a first round game.

McNeese75
July 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure those are not true payout numbers.

WileECoyote06
July 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
No, another article showed where JMU only netted 14K from a recent playoff run.

Oh, and maybe multiple threads isn't warranted, but it will affect FCS as a whole as the MEAC autobid is up for grabs, if we withdraw. On a lesser scale, if this 'bowl' is successful, other FCS conferences may follow suit. So yes it's important to the entire scope of FCS football.

But I am against foregoing our autobid.

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
No, another article showed where JMU only netted 14K from a recent playoff run.

Oh, and maybe multiple threads isn't warranted, but it will affect FCS as a whole as the MEAC autobid is up for grabs, if we withdraw. On a lesser scale, if this 'bowl' is successful, other FCS conferences may follow suit. So yes it's important to the entire scope of FCS football.

But I am against foregoing our autobid.

Question:

If the SWAC/MEAC is able to negotiate a $1.5 million dollar deal for 1 game, Why can't the NCAA negotiate a better TV deal for the entire playoffs?

If the SWAC/MEAC has that much swag, shouldn't the FCS playoffs look at ways of keeping both conference in the playoff picture and use that to negtioate a TV package for all?

The simple way to do so, would be to allow the SWAC to complete it's regular season... but apparently the NCAA Committee's pride is too high to "give in to the SWAC" on this one. Too funny!!!! (Not really!)

WileECoyote06
July 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Question:

If the SWAC/MEAC is able to negotiate a $1.5 million dollar deal for 1 game, Why can't the NCAA negotiate a better TV deal for the entire playoffs?

If the SWAC/MEAC has that much swag, shouldn't the FCS playoffs look at ways of keeping both conference in the playoff picture and use that to negtioate a TV package for all?

The simple way to do so, would be to allow the SWAC to complete it's regular season... but apparently the NCAA Committee's pride is too high to "give in to the SWAC" on this one. Too funny!!!! (Not really!)

From what I've read the entire FCS playoffs is a money-losing entity (400K loss) for the NCAA; and I don't think the NCAA receives any television revenue from ESPN for broadcasting these games. It's not the SWAC with the issue it's the three schools involved in Thanksgiving weekend games; that are the issue. Perhaps those schools should revisit their stance; as have several of the MEAC schools which formerly had Thanksgiving weekend rivalry games.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM

The economic impact of the NCAA allowing the SWAC to complete it's regular season would take a toll on numerous other schools in FCS, who would be forced to keep their student-athletes on campus, pay per diem, etc. so they could practice during the Thanksgiving break in the possibility that they could qualify (or may have already) for the playoffs...

Figure at $35 a day for at least three or four days for about 80 players is another $11,200 for per diem on top of whatever other costs are accrued because campuses are closed.

Remember - this is why the SWAC ended their baseball season and tournament earlier than the rest of the nation, so schools wouldn't have to pay out per diem to baseball team after school ended - those giving a competitive disadvantage to the league come NCAA time. Instead of impacting one conference, you are impacting a larger scale (probably 30-40 teams).

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM
The economic impact of the NCAA allowing the SWAC to complete it's regular season would take a toll on numerous other schools in FCS, who would be forced to keep their student-athletes on campus, pay per diem, etc. so they could practice during the Thanksgiving break in the possibility that they could qualify (or may have already) for the playoffs...

Figure at $35 a day for at least three or four days for about 80 players is another $11,200 for per diem on top of whatever other costs are accrued because campuses are closed.

Remember - this is why the SWAC ended their baseball season and tournament earlier than the rest of the nation, so schools wouldn't have to pay out per diem to baseball team after school ended - those giving a competitive disadvantage to the league come NCAA time. Instead of impacting one conference, you are impacting a larger scale (probably 30-40 teams).

Okay, I didn't know the $11,200 weighed so heavy into the decision. However, I would imagine that this proposed negotiated TV deal (remember that scenario?) and the subsequent payout to each school would more than offset the $11,200. Are you saying that to save $11,200 per school, you don't think the NCAA and FCS couldn't negotiate something that gives each conference in the playoffs a portion of a $10 million deal. I mean the SWAC & MEAC is being offered $3 million and that's just 2 teams!!

This is not about changing things for the benefit of the SWAC.. we're cool. But why shouldn't the FCS playoffs take a look at using the SWAC & MEAC appeal to it's advantage? Hopefully they are more business minded than to see this as simply not letting the SWAC (comprised of member schools) "have it's way". As for the individual teams...I don't think they would mind an extra $11,200 per diem to help them make $$$ due to a better TV deal. Plus Off Week could help with fatigue...but hey, maybe it makes too much sense to me.

wapiti
July 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Playoffs money:

I have no absolutely idea what the payouts are on playoff games. But I will guess the two teams that make it to the championship games end up with more money then if they went to a bowl game.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I have no absolutely idea what the payouts are on playoff games. But I will guess the two teams that make it to the championship games end up with more money then if they went to a bowl game.

Where are those James Madison "Run to the Crown" expenses/revenues details are again?

ngineer
July 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
If we start doing this there is no reason for the FCS. The whole idea is to play for a national championship. If you're not interested in that, than become FBS.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
If we start doing this there is no reason for the FCS. The whole idea is to play for a national championship. If you're not interested in that, than become FBS.

If we "start"? The SWAC has been doing our own thing since 1999 and the Ivy League since .....

No thanks on the move, we're fine right where we are and if that is not condusive to anyone's thought of what the FCS is, please contact the NCAA for a mandate on the two conferences.
Could you be referring to all the Texas SLC schools who are or in the process of "exploring" their options to FBS?

lilrj1919
July 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Not hating on SC State, but I don't see the logic behind feeling that they are the only HBCU school capable of winning in the playoffs. It's the same favorable type comments directed toward Hampton a few seasons ago. Will FAMU be the next favored choice as the lone HBCU capable of winning a game? That's really the tone given by most posters who comment on this topic. There are several HBCU's capable of winning and the ability to win has nothing to do with whether a school is an HBCU or not.

Consider that SC State was fortunate to hold on and beat Grambling last year due to turnovers..my point is that there are numerous HBCU's including several in the SWAC who are capable of winning a playoff game. Because we don't particpate in the playoffs while SC State, Hampton, or FAMU does, it doesn't mean they or any of the FCS schools they "almost" beat are more likely to automatic wins versus the SWAC.

We are FCS too... just because we don't participate in the playoffs doesn't mean we don't have good teams. If SC State is deemed capable of winning, based on facts rather than opinion so are other teams in the SWAC.

Glad you said, People as if SCSU is the second coming of Christ or something. The beat Grambling off of Grambling's mistakes by a couple of points. xlolx

mikebigg
July 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM

And I have no problem with that... One poster commented that the MEAC schools would receive $65k each from the Bowl game, but when I presented the possibility of delaying the start of the Tourney as part of the negotiation to get ESPN to pay more for television rights to the entire tourney (as opposed to giving only the SWAC/MEAC $1.5 million for one game), one argument presented was that it would cost $11,200 extra for each team. My math background has $65k being almost 6 times more than the extra expense.

Makes me think that some simply can't get past the fact that it would benefit the FCS financial payout to all if some means of incorporating the SWAC into the tourney with possible negotiation with ESPN. Still smh at complaining about an extra $11,200 expenditure while dismissing the $65k that individual schools might net.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM
And I have no problem with that... One poster commented that the MEAC schools would receive $65k each from the Bowl game, but when I presented the possibility of delaying the start of the Tourney as part of the negotiation to get ESPN to pay more for television rights to the entire tourney (as opposed to giving only the SWAC/MEAC $1.5 million for one game), one argument presented was that it would cost $11,200 extra for each team. My math background has $65k being almost 6 times more than the extra expense.

Makes me think that some simply can't get past the fact that it would benefit the FCS financial payout to all if some means of incorporating the SWAC into the tourney with possible negotiation with ESPN. Still smh at complaining about an extra $11,200 expenditure while dismissing the $65k that individual schools might net.

Why would ESPN provide similar payouts to FCS schools than the Legacy Bowl? That is just one game.

Would ESPN provide $3M to be split amongst all FCS institutions for the one game appearance by the SWAC in the NCAA postseason? If the OVC has such great hurdles to overcome in getting a win, I'd expect the SWAC, which 0-18 or 0-19 all-time to have even greater hurdles. Or would ESPN pay even more so that each conference essentially gets $XXX amount per school in each conference? Would non-competing conferences (i.e. Ivy, GWFC) get a portion of the take?

Would FCS be willing to extend the regular season by a week to accommodate the SWAC, as in would other conferences play games during Thanksgiving weekend? Could this lead FCS to going to a 12-game schedule? Probably not now that the playoffs would have to be expanded to 24 teams.

mikebigg
July 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
What does the SWAC's past record have to do with now? Are you serious in your assertion that no SWAC team is capable of winning a playoff game? C'mon man , surely you are not that down on the SWAC that you honestly believe that none of our teams can win one game?

Anyway... of course I was speaking of the FCS come to the realization that if ESPN is willing to play two FCS Conferences $3 million dollars for one game, how much would they be willing to discuss a television package for playoff games that include these two conferences. If it generates an additional $60k per participating school in the first round (simply by delaying the start one week and incurring a miniscule food bill of $11,200 per school), I think the AD's and coaches of those schools would be all for the week off to prepare and rest).

But perhaps such an arrangement that would generate money, continue the FCS Playoffs, and increase the field to include two highest attended conference who happen to have caught the eye of ESPN as a potential money maker just doesn't sit well with some. Oh well... good luck and congrats on saving $11,000.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
What does the SWAC's past record have to do with now? Are you serious in your assertion that no SWAC team is capable of winning a playoff game? C'mon man , surely you are not that down on the SWAC that you honestly believe that none of our teams can win one game?

Any Given Saturday. *** cheap plug for the web site ***

Anyway... of course I was speaking of the FCS come to the realization that if ESPN is willing to play two FCS Conferences $3 million dollars for one game, how much would they be willing to discuss a television package for playoff games that include these two conferences. If it generates an additional $60k per participating school in the first round (simply by delaying the start one week and incurring a miniscule food bill of $11,200 per school), I think the AD's and coaches of those schools would be all for the week off to prepare and rest).

I was just throwing out one of the costs (as far as $11k). There may be other costs associated with keeping a team during a week that would have otherwise been closed for business on campus. Let's say that ESPN is going to pay out $60k per FCS school. There are 125 (if you include reclassifying). That is only $7.5M and nowhere near as much as I thought. Would schools be willing to extend the regular season a week for $60k? Would the Pioneer and SWAC both join the playoffs? Would we see 24-team playoffs with top eight being seeded?

mikebigg
July 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Any Given Saturday. *** cheap plug for the web site ***

I was just throwing out one of the costs (as far as $11k). There may be other costs associated with keeping a team during a week that would have otherwise been closed for business on campus. Let's say that ESPN is going to pay out $60k per FCS school. There are 125 (if you include reclassifying). That is only $7.5M and nowhere near as much as I thought. Would schools be willing to extend the regular season a week for $60k? Would the Pioneer and SWAC both join the playoffs? Would we see 24-team playoffs with top eight being seeded?

I thought you wanted Exposure and the Playoffs... my bad.

FCS_Fan
July 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Nope

Panther88
July 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Could you be referring to all the Texas SLC schools who are or in the process of "exploring" their options to FBS?

*crickets*

Any naysayers w/ intelligent fortitude going to answer? Geeeeeeeeeeeez.... this has gotten really old dead horse riders. We've stuck our stick in the sand and made our stand. This is OUR (The SWAC's) objective. You're either w/ it or you're not. And apparently not too many here have ANY weight whatsoever in terms of influencing the voting power of the SWAC's power structure (the presidents) and double-ditto for the MEAC. ;)

PantherRob82
July 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The MEAC vs SWAC could be a play-in game, just like in basketball. :D

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
The MEAC vs SWAC could be a play-in game, just like in basketball. :D

No - the NCAA avoids MEAC vs SWAC in hoops at all costs. You'll note that one appears in the game annually.

It would not surprise me if the new play-in games feature MEAC vs Low-Major TBD and SWAC vs Low-Major TBD exists. They'll never match them up against each other.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
No - the NCAA avoids MEAC vs SWAC in hoops at all costs. You'll note that one appears in the game annually.

It would not surprise me if the new play-in games feature MEAC vs Low-Major TBD and SWAC vs Low-Major TBD exists. They'll never match them up against each other.

While the SLC vs Low-Major in the 3rd and OVC vs Low-Major in the 4th play-in games.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
While the SLC vs Low-Major in the 3rd and OVC vs Low-Major in the 4th play-in games.

3rd Coast - check out the format information - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70161-NCAA-Determines-New-68-Team-Hoops-Format

The 3rd and 4th play-in games in basketball will be for the final four at-larges.

As far as football, would think that most years in the 20-team format (especially when the Pioneer replaces the MEAC), there would be ample low GPIs to allow the SLC to avoid our champion to "play-in". We'll see. League product needs to make some strides forward instead of back.

Jaguar79
July 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Maybe the rest of FCS, regardless of whether the SWAC or Ivy joins the playoffs, should look at jumping back a week. On the average, y'all are getting no one to attend the first round playoff games as they are now. In almost every situation, attendance goes up the next week.

Just seems to make sense even with the possible per diem of keeping kids on campus for ONE extra week. You may be able to make that back with that first game .... if the NCAA would loosen the vice grip they have on the finances.

PhoenixPhan06
July 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Not a chance!! I love the playoffs and I'd rather see college football join every other major sport in this world and move towards a playoff system at all levels instead of only being played in the FCS.

WestCoastAggie
July 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM

SOMEBODY must not know about OVC basketball, Murray State and Coach Kennedy.

WestCoastAggie
July 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Maybe the rest of FCS, regardless of whether the SWAC or Ivy joins the playoffs, should look at jumping back a week. On the average, y'all are getting no one to attend the first round playoff games as they are now. In almost every situation, attendance goes up the next week.

Just seems to make sense even with the possible per diem of keeping kids on campus for ONE extra week. You may be able to make that back with that first game .... if the NCAA would loosen the vice grip they have on the finances.

This may be a little off topic BUT the NCAA may want to look into formulating rules and regulations that require NCAA Conferences to participate in NCAA Post-Season activities.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
This may be a little off topic BUT the NCAA may want to look into formulating rules and regulations that require NCAA Conferences to participate in NCAA Post-Season activities.

I wonder how that little rules and regulation "thingy" is working out for the NCAA's highest level of football?

3rd Coast Tiger
July 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
SOMEBODY must not know about OVC basketball, Murray State and Coach Kennedy.

Yeah, forgot about them dudes.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM

There are already rules in place that stipulate a conference's eligibility for acquiring an automatic bid. In all sports, football included, the league must apply (or renew) for their automatic berth.

The Pioneer League has apparently applied for an automatic berth, though I am not sure why that has been held up at this point. Perhaps the Championships Cabinet must approve their application? The Great West is not eligible for an automatic berth with both the Ivy and SWAC electing not to apply.

mikebigg
July 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
There are already rules in place that stipulate a conference's eligibility for acquiring an automatic bid. In all sports, football included, the league must apply (or renew) for their automatic berth.

The Pioneer League has apparently applied for an automatic berth, though I am not sure why that has been held up at this point. Perhaps the Championships Cabinet must approve their application? The Great West is not eligible for an automatic berth with both the Ivy and SWAC electing not to apply.

That's a matter of interpretation...we never received an autobid and was told that unless we had all of teams available, we would not be eligible. We didn't comply with that and therefore we did not get an autobid. But it's not that we didn't apply...we were told not too unless. We refused the unless.