PDA

View Full Version : UMass Announces 2006 Schedule

TexasTerror
January 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
American International plays football?

UMass fans will love the seven home games. And just think, a 12-game schedule, perhaps they'll play eight?

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010906aaa.html

ccd494
January 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Maybe they meant to schedule a hockey game and wires got crossed.

NoCoDanny
January 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I thought is was an airline.

Pard4Life
January 9th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Maybe American International is a home-home game. Amhert this year, game at American International School, Tahiti, 2007.

Poor scheduling there... practically a month between important games.. 9/16 Villanova, 9/30 AI, 10/7 William and Mary

TheValleyRaider
January 9th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Maybe American International is a home-home game. Amhert this year, game at American International School, Tahiti, 2007.

Poor scheduling there... practically a month between important games.. 9/16 Villanova, 9/30 AI, 10/7 William and Mary

Nova and W&M are conference games, nothing they can do about those dates. I'd guess AIC was they school they found with an open date between the two games, knowing they'd need at least one game in there.

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 01:47 AM
What does no other school play a D2 team? Geez you guys make it seem like we are the first to do so. AIC is a local team who we get to offset a DI-A game with. Last year we played Albany and the year before that Delaware State. We have a couple former players on AIC currently so maybe Coach Brown wants to let them have a shot at their former team. I like our schedule this year. For one we dont have any long home or away streches like the past season and we have 6 home games not 7. Should be another good year in Amherst.

seeker
January 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM
What does no other school play a D2 team? Geez you guys make it seem like we are the first to do so. AIC is a local team who we get to offset a DI-A game with. Last year we played Albany and the year before that Delaware State. We have a couple former players on AIC currently so maybe Coach Brown wants to let them have a shot at their former team. I like our schedule this year. For one we dont have any long home or away streches like the past season and we have 6 home games not 7. Should be another good year in Amherst.Albany and Delaware State are not D-II teams.

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Albany and Delaware State are not D-II teams.
They sure do play like them... We will get just as much of a game from AIC as we did from Albany or Del St.

seeker
January 10th, 2006, 02:09 AM
They sure do play like them... We will get just as much of a game from AIC as we did from Albany or Del St.Won't you get a lot less credit playing a D-II than playing a D-I?

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Won't you get a lot less credit playing a D-II than playing a D-I?
Yes we wont have it count toward the playoffs but a win over the other two really doesnt help either.

seeker
January 10th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Yes we wont have it count toward the playoffs but a win over the other two really doesnt help either.That's not what it says in the D-I playoff manual. D-II hurts, D-I is desired. Isn't that right?

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM
That's not what it says in the D-I playoff manual. D-II hurts, D-I is desired. Isn't that right?
You are correct like I said but not many I-AA small school teams want to take a beating every year from an A10 frontrunner.

Maverick
January 10th, 2006, 06:38 AM
For many I-AA teams in the Northeast, scheduling a I-AA breather to balance a I-A game is tough. There are few teams who are willing to play you anyway, but add into that needing a team for a specific date (after the conference schedule and the I-A game)and you have a really complex issue. There are some teams that would fit this category but they don't want to travel to a place like Amherst from any significant distance. Not like the I-A schools that "buy" a game, or the more southern or midwestern schools where the schools available for a game are more numerous. The result is that sometimes this is the best that can be done. I agree that a D-II game like this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a team to perform in the remaining 9 games since the D-IA loss and the D-II win are not helping one's case for the playoffs, but sometimes you have to take the bull by the tail and face the situation according to W.C. Fields.

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2006, 06:43 AM
For many I-AA teams in the Northeast, scheduling a I-AA breather to balance a I-A game is tough.

The Northeast has it much easier than the west. We've had SLC schedules feature two Div II games (see Texas St last year and this coming year) because of the lack of I-AAs who need to go out of their own area for games. Granted there are plenty of I-As down here, it's nice to play some I-AAs so that seven-win plateau is easier to reach...

bluehenbillk
January 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Favorable schedule for UMass, the Navy & UNH games are probably L's but they should be favored in the other 9.

bandl
January 10th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Favorable schedule for UMass, the Navy & UNH games are probably L's but they should be favored in the other 9.
I would have to agree...not a terribly tough schedule. :confused: I wonder if that AI game will haunt them if they are on the bubble come playoff selection time next year...

colgate13
January 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yes we wont have it count toward the playoffs but a win over the other two really doesnt help either.

Tell that to Youngstown. If you're a bubble team, you're sitting at home come playoff time because of this. Just remember....

GannonFan
January 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Tell that to Youngstown. If you're a bubble team, you're sitting at home come playoff time because of this. Just remember....

Well, UMass should beat a playoff team or two then to boost their credentials - that could help? And maybe avoid finishing 3rd in conference as well. :nod:

Tribe4SF
January 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
With that schedule, the Colgate game is almost a must-win. The liability of a D-II game is pretty clear after last year.

blukeys
January 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
With that schedule, the Colgate game is almost a must-win. The liability of a D-II game is pretty clear after last year.

I think Colgate will be improved next year from the Colgate Umass saw this last season. This does present some risk for Umass. But you still have to win tough games to make the playoffs.

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I think Colgate will be improved next year from the Colgate Umass saw this last season. This does present some risk for Umass. But you still have to win tough games to make the playoffs.

The Colgate game is at home so I dont see them as being a problem. We just have trouble beating them at their place.

colgate13
January 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
The Colgate game is at home so I dont see them as being a problem. We just have trouble beating them at their place.

:rolleyes:

You've one once against Colgate all-time. It will be a hell of a win for our program to go there and take a W, but jeez....

We're 2/3 in the past 3 years and still no respect!

http://www.defamer.com/topic/rodney-dangerfield.jpg

C'mon umassfan, how's about a little lip service?

Hansel
January 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM

You've one once against Colgate all-time. It will be a hell of a win for our program to go there and take a W, but jeez....

is that a canadian spelling too ;) :)

colgate13
January 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
is that a canadian spelling too ;) :)

french-canadien! Oui?

:rotateh:

umassfan
January 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Okay and where was that one game? Where will this game be? Where did you get the two wins? See a trend?

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Okay and where was that one game? Where will this game be? Where did you get the two wins? See a trend?

trend (trhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifnd)
n.
The general direction in which something tends to move.
A general tendency or inclination. See Synonyms at tendency (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tendency).
Current style; vogue: the latest trend in fashion.

Call me crazy, but I've always been of the mindset that it takes more than one instance to indicate a tendency or trend. Win this year, and now you can imply a trend. The only 'trend' I see is that UMass can't win in Hamilton.

xazzx

saint0917
January 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Call me crazy, but I've always been of the mindset that it takes more than one instance to indicate a tendency or trend. Win this year, and now you can imply a trend. The only 'trend' I see is that UMass can't win in Hamilton.
xazzx

The only reason we lose at Colgate all the time is all that darn snow. ;)

bandl
January 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
2 losses, 1 win...the only trend that I see so far is that UMass will lose 2 out of every 3 games to Colgate.

umassfan
January 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM
2 losses, 1 win...the only trend that I see so far is that UMass will lose 2 out of every 3 games to Colgate.
The trend I am talking about is how we loose at Colgate but win at home.... Same will happen this season.

colgate13
January 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM
The trend I am talking about is how we loose at Colgate but win at home.... Same will happen this season.

Again, one win at home does not a trend make! You're talking about predicting the start of a trend this fall with a UMass win. xidiotx

Pard4Life
January 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I see the TREND continuing... another Colgate win in September.

TypicalTribe
January 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Again, one win at home does not a trend make! You're talking about predicting the start of a trend this fall with a UMass win. xidiotx

In the three games being discussed, the home team won each of them. That is a trend.

umassfan
January 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I see the TREND continuing... another Colgate win in September.
The trend would be a UMass win... you must not know anything about trends...

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
In the three games being discussed, the home team won each of them. That is a trend.

If you want to look at it that way, I'll agree.

Another trend is that Colgate wins 3 out of every 4 times. Another is that Colgate wins two games to Umass's one, so in that one we're due to win a second time this year.

His point was that since UMass won at home last time, the only time, that the trend was they would win again.

umassfan
January 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
If you want to look at it that way, I'll agree.

Another trend is that Colgate wins 3 out of every 4 times. Another is that Colgate wins two games to Umass's one, so in that one we're due to win a second time this year.

His point was that since UMass won at home last time, the only time, that the trend was they would win again.
Buddy... its the only time we played in Amherst!

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Buddy... its the only time we played in Amherst!

My point exactly!!!!!!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx