PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Marching Band Shows

bjtheflamesfan
July 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Well as we approach the midpoint of July, everyone is getting excited for football season...the coaches, the players, the fans...the...marching bands?

Just thought Id pick the brains of the musically inclined folks on here and see what the different bands will be performing at halftime this fall. Liberty will be doing what I guess you could call "marching band stew" with their show called "iShuffle: Stuck on Replay" which will include songs ranging from "Stuck on Replay" by IYAZ (feat. Sean Kingston) to "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers, to the 1812 Overture and even a little something our friends up at JMU are quite good at... "Simple Gifts" by Aaron Copland.

El Gato
July 16th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Simple gifts....overplayed. But, it is college marching band.

gobison.gsb
July 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM
The NDSU Gold Star Marching Band will be proud to perform our three shows, the "GSMB First World Tour", featuring songs from around the world; the "Wild West Show" for 2010 Homecoming; and lastly the "Epic Movie show" featuring a medly of such beloved movie titles as Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, E.T., Superman, Robin Hood, and Jurassic Park.

We are also going to be the largest size our marching band has been (from a mere 83 members in 2007 to ~200+ in 2010).

http://www.goldstarband.org/marchingband/mbindex.htm

JaxSinfonian
July 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Jax State's Marching Southerners are calling their show "From Sea to Shining Sea" and billing it as a musical portrait of the United States. It'll include Rocky Point Holiday,Ol’ Man River, Sweet Georgia Brown, My Home’s in Alabama, Oh Shenandoah, Overture to Candide, Start Spreading the News, selections from West Side Story, and (yes, us too) Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring, the "Simple Gifts" portion.

http://www.jsunews.com/news/?newsID=605

DFW HOYA
July 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
And for the 20-odd schools without a marching band, nothing to see here...

bjtheflamesfan
July 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
and the point of that was...

PantherRob82
July 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Well as we approach the midpoint of July, everyone is getting excited for football season...the coaches, the players, the fans...the...marching bands?

Just thought Id pick the brains of the musically inclined folks on here and see what the different bands will be performing at halftime this fall. Liberty will be doing what I guess you could call "marching band stew" with their show called "iShuffle: Stuck on Replay" which will include songs ranging from "Stuck on Replay" by IYAZ (feat. Sean Kingston) to "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers, to the 1812 Overture and even a little something our friends up at JMU are quite good at... "Simple Gifts" by Aaron Copland.

I'm surpirsed that Liberty could play secular music in their show. Seriously, no smack.

AppTrex77
July 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have no idea what the App band will be doing specifically - - - I just know it will be great. They have never let me down!!!!!

FUPaladin2010
July 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Not sure what Furman's Paladin Regiment is doing this year, but this is our show from last year (2009 - my senior year). Its pretty rocking: Thriller and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Thriller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xz-R6ccry8
Bohemian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6bLTQg2TA&feature=related

Go Paladins! Look out SoCon.

T-Dog
July 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Thriller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xz-R6ccry8

That's looks familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jOJdhub2TQ

Note - Doing shows of famous people before they died and made it hip again = Trendsetters.

PantherRob82
July 18th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Everyone has been doing Thriller for quite a while.

MSUBear42
July 18th, 2010, 10:58 AM
For the best band in the MVFC, I'm sure there will be a mix of classical and latin songs and a few new ones... nothing for sure, yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=CaEFtmSiEOI

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
That's looks familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jOJdhub2TQ

Note - Doing shows of famous people before they died and made it hip again = Trendsetters.

DID someone say Trendsetters xnodx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxRWZLKGe70

NSUDemon98
July 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Northwestern State will be doing:

1st Show - Festive Overture, Nessun Dorma, Rocky Point Holiday
2nd Show - Typical patriotic salute
3rd Show - Fire Dance, My Spanish Heart, One More Time Chick Corea

The Spirit of Northwestern will also be celebrating their 100th anniversary in the 2011 season and will start the year off right by marching in the New Years Day Parade in London this January.

FUPaladin2010
July 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hey T-Dog. That's probably because Appy's Director of Bands is a Furman grad? Might be close with Jay Bocook @ FU. Just a thought.

El Gato
July 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Nice selections for that first show, to bad won't be able to see this show live since you guys play Texas State in San Marcos, and you'll probaly be on your second show. But I have heard good things about the music program there and would love to hear this none the less.

DG Cowboy
July 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM

2nd Show - Typical patriotic salute
3rd Show - Fire Dance, My Spanish Heart, One More Time Chick Corea

The Spirit of Northwestern will also be celebrating their 100th anniversary in the 2011 season and will start the year off right by marching in the New Years Day Parade in London this January.

One of this McNeese Cowboy fan's favorite bands!!!

Rob Iola
July 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Jax State's Marching Southerners are calling their show "From Sea to Shining Sea" and billing it as a musical portrait of the United States. It'll include Rocky Point Holiday,Ol’ Man River, Sweet Georgia Brown, My Home’s in Alabama, Oh Shenandoah, Overture to Candide, Start Spreading the News, selections from West Side Story, and (yes, us too) Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring, the "Simple Gifts" portion.

http://www.jsunews.com/news/?newsID=605
Is the Marching Southerners band the same band that tours with DCI during the summer? If so they're outstanding! (If not they still might be outstanding, it's just that I haven't had the chance to see/hear them...)

NSUDemon98
July 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Nice selections for that first show, to bad won't be able to see this show live since you guys play Texas State in San Marcos, and you'll probaly be on your second show. But I have heard good things about the music program there and would love to hear this none the less.

Thanks for that. As a Texas band director I know and hear good things about what goes on at TxSt. too.

You're right, NSU will probably be on their 2nd show by that game...PLUS...I don't foresee the SoN making any road trips this year (budget cuts).

The Cats
July 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aP24osmJFE

SU DOG
July 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Is the Marching Southerners band the same band that tours with DCI during the summer? If so they're outstanding! (If not they still might be outstanding, it's just that I haven't had the chance to see/hear them...)

As a Samford Fan, this may be hard for me to say, BUT, the JSU Marching Southerners are one of the BEST groups in the country. I'm not talking FCS, or any other grouping. They always surprise SEC or other large venues when they perform, and receive "WOW" standing ovations. You have a treat in store when you get the chance to see them.

JaxSinfonian
July 21st, 2010, 07:09 AM

The corps once known as Spirit of Atlanta was based at JSU for eight years or so, and was known as Spirit of JSU. JSU's band director served as executive director of the corps for a time, and the two groups shared some equipment and creative staff. There was also some overlap in membership, but a lot of JSU kids have always marched with Spirit in the summers (the corps was founded in Atlanta in the 70s by a JSU alum). Spirit moved back to Atlanta sometime in the last couple of years, and I think the relationship between the university and the corps has ended.

As a Samford Fan, this may be hard for me to say, BUT, the JSU Marching Southerners are one of the BEST groups in the country. I'm not talking FCS, or any other grouping. They always surprise SEC or other large venues when they perform, and receive "WOW" standing ovations. You have a treat in store when you get the chance to see them.

Thanks, Dog. I've missed the trips to Homewood to see our team and the Southerners at Samford. Your crowd was always courteous and appreciative. And for what it's worth, the Samford band always got two thumbs up from me; they don't have JSU's size or sound, but from what I've seen they tackle demanding stuff and pull it off well.

El Gato
July 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Spirit of JSU is now just Spirit right? WIll see them this Sunday in San Antonio for DCI Southwestern...although it will be at Judson HS instead of the usual Alamodome :(.

Rob Iola
July 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Spirit of JSU is now just Spirit right? WIll see them this Sunday in San Antonio for DCI Southwestern...although it will be at Judson HS instead of the usual Alamodome :(.

You'll get a different sound, that's all - still incredible...

MR. CHICKEN
July 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
DUH SOUFF DAKOTA STATE GAME........@ TUBBY FIELD................BAND DAY!.........KIDS FROM ALL OVERAH (MD. PA. N.J....MAYBEAH VA.....MAYBEAH...S. D......AH DON'T KNOW)........'NUFF WOODWINDS...TA MAKE JETHRO TULL.....RETHINK..."AQUALUNG".........BRAWK!!!!!

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/delawareonline/access/2083191271.html?FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&fmac=1e97aa45387aacb253b5cf9f9625a7d4&date=Jul+18%2C+2010&author=&desc=Popular+%27Band+Day%27+will+go+on+as+planned+ at+UD

NSUDemon98
July 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM

Why is that? We never go to TBA...but that seems like kind of a let down not having it in the AlamoDome. That's a great venue...I seen DCI there a couple times and the band where I teach has been in the last two state marching contests. Great place to perform.

El Gato
July 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Why is that? We never go to TBA...but that seems like kind of a let down not having it in the AlamoDome. That's a great venue...I seen DCI there a couple times and the band where I teach has been in the last two state marching contests. Great place to perform.

Why is what? I just love the dome as a venue for a contest this big, rather than a HS stadium. They had to break it up into two days at Judson, rather than the usual one day at the dome.

Also played in the dome plenty of times at State marching contest exhibition with Texas State, and as a teacher at the 5A marching contests as well. Great venue for that, but the TBA/DCI thing stopped couple years back, and that I am pretty bummed about.

DJOM
July 23rd, 2010, 04:48 AM
With Lafayette playing at Princeton on September 25th, the question being asked Nationally is; "Will the scat band play the French National Anthem."

MsippiRattler
July 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
What can I say? Da 100d will be Da 100d, because "...In all the world, there is only one!"

DJOM
July 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
The Princeton University Band, founded in 1919, is one of less than a dozen scramble bands in the country. A "scramble band" is kind of like a "marching band", only with less formality, more funniness, and more fun — in other words, better. The PUB has been known to march on occasion, but we're more likely to amble or saunter around. We're not your high school band. During our halftime shows, we get in and out of formation by scrambling. Hence the term "scramble band."