PDA

View Full Version : LFN's Preseason All-Patriot League Team

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/07/lfns-preseason-patriot-league-team-2010.html

A post that's becoming an annual tradition. Enjoy.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/07/lfns-preseason-patriot-league-team-2010.html

A post that's becoming an annual tradition. Enjoy.

Caldwell on the 2nd team? Thought that was a big omission but other than that pretty solid. Some of those OL names I have never heard of.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM
If games are won in the trenches then Lehigh will have zero excuses. This is easily the best OL/DL combo in 5 or 6 years. The defense in general is stacked. It all comes down to someone stepping up and being a playmaker on offense and Coen figuring out how to put the pieces together. I know others think we (Lehigh fans) talk the same every year with our predictions but the depth of talent can't be ignored. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.......

RichH2
July 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks. Other than some choices for 1st and 2nd team a solid list. Every year there are breakout surprises. Any predictions around PL for such kids. For LU, I think Gordon , who has been solid so far will have a big year. On D, Devin green will surprise

Ken_Z
July 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
no Josh Eden. is that because you (1) will not consider a player who has missed two years (mission), (2) did not know he is back, or (3) considered him, but felt others are better?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM
no Josh Eden. is that because you (1) will not consider a player who has missed two years (mission), (2) did not know he is back, or (3) considered him, but felt others are better?

The fact that he's been "away from the game" for two years makes me treat him like a transfer. I have no doubt Eden has the potential to be a huge presence in Bucknell's front (as will some of the transfer guys) but as a general rule I don't like to put transfers on my preseason teams since either they don't have a body of work, or in Eden's case the body of work was a while ago.

I acknowledge a couple things: 1) that Eden was a first-team guy before he left on his mission, and I have little doubt that, if healthy, he will be a force to be reckoned with this year, and 2) by my own definition, HC's Sean Lamkin, who was injured last year, shouldn't be on a preseason team since he played three games last year and got hurt. But remembering his 2008 season and the 2009 season before he got hurt put him on my second team.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Caldwell on the 2nd team? Thought that was a big omission but other than that pretty solid. Some of those OL names I have never heard of.

I struggled with Caldwell behind Layton and the two HC receivers, but the bottom line was Layton's production was more consistent and he produced more scores in big spots. And the HC guys are not the biggest stat guys but as a fan of an opposing defense I fear them. In a way I thought Chmelinski was getting hurt by being put on the second team when he is really a first-teamer talent.

carney2
July 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
11 of the top 44 (25%) are Featherheads. No homer bias here.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM

But the Patsy Ratings always seem to concur with these projections. Luckily for both of you reality never seems to match perception.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM

The folks who are crying bias fail to mention that only five of the first team are from Lehigh (18%). One, Will Rackley, is a no-brainer, and Ricky Clerge is another guy who seems like a consensus first-teamer as well. John Kennedy was the leading return man in the league last year and one of the top in the country - can't argue with that. You could quibble with Troy Taylor and Jarard Cribbs, but really, are there any real slam-dunk guys above them on my team?

Leopard fans also fail to mention that I picked eight Lafayette guys on my team as well, including putting Layton on the 1st team.

bison137
July 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
by my own definition, HC's Sean Lamkin, who was injured last year, shouldn't be on a preseason team since he played three games last year and got hurt. But remembering his 2008 season and the 2009 season before he got hurt put him on my second team.

By that standard, then Sean Pasternak should be on the team. He was as good as any WR in the PL as a soph in 2008 - leading the league in receptions and yards despite playing in a run-oriented offense. Also had 12 TD's, which is the 7th best total in PL history. Unfortunately he had two separate injuries that cost him the majority of last season.

In a more balanced offense this year, he figures to be very productive if healthy.

Gater
July 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Typically wins equal all-league honors for team members. Here is a breakdown of how many all-league honorees each team had per win in 2009.

2009 Record All-League 1st and 2nd Team All-League Per Win

Holy Cross 9-3 15 players 1.7
Colgate 9-2 8 players .9
Lafayette—8-3 13 players 1.6
Lehigh—4-7 10 players 2.5
Fordham—5-6 8 players 1.6
Bucknell—4-7 4 players 1.0
G’town—0-11 1 player Anyone?

If you take last year’s all-league per win totals and apply them to LFN’s Preseason 1st and 2nd team totals for each team you can predict next year’s records.

LFN’s Preseason 1st and 2nd Team Totals Projected Wins

Lehigh—14 players 5.8
Holy Cross—10 players 6.2
Fordham—10 players 6.6
Lafayette—8 players 5
Colgate—6 players 7.2
Bucknell—5 players 5.5
Georgetown—2 players Betterish

Predicted Final Standings based on LFN’s All-League Preseason 1st and 2nd Team

Colgate 7-4
Fordham 7-4
Holy Cross 6-5
Lehigh 6-5
Bucknell 6-5
Lafayette 5-6
Georgetown 1-10

* I added .5 all-league players to each team to compensate for an additional four players making last year’s first and second team versus LFN’s list this year (there were four ties last year).

Gater
July 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Apologies on the spacing. It looked great until I pressed "post quick reply."

RichH2
July 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Gater, nice post. Interesting prognosis .I do hope it is incorrect. I need to rebuild my "wild optimism" for the coming season.

Ken_Z
July 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Gater, nice post. Interesting prognosis .I do hope it is incorrect. I need to rebuild my "wild optimism" for the coming season.

with Bucknell 6-5, i thought we had achieved wild optimism.

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Colgate 7-4
Fordham 7-4
Holy Cross 6-5
Lehigh 6-5
Bucknell 6-5
Lafayette 5-6
Georgetown 1-10

Just one opinion, nothing more, but if Georgetown finishes anywhere close to 1-10 this year with the soft schedule it has, the staff has some worry ahead of it.

Ken_Z
July 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Just one opinion, nothing more, but if Georgetown finishes anywhere close to 1-10 this year with the soft schedule it has, the staff has some worry ahead of it.

what is anywhere close? do you expect 3 or 4 wins?

carney2
July 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Don't worry. The Squawks are going 9-2 again.

CrusaderBob
July 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah ... Well I think that scholarships will be narrowly approved in Decem...

Wait ... Sorry. That was a reflex reaction. I didn't know we were allowed to talk about something other than that between the end of the season and the beginning of training camp.

Looks as good as any pre-season list to me. It's the post season list that matters. Thanks LFN.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM
First team HC, anyone? Biddle? Gilmore? Tavani?

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
what is anywhere close? do you expect 3 or 4 wins?

I don't expect anything but between a non-conference schedule of Davidson, Wagner, Sacred Heart, Marist, and Yale, 4-1 is doable. Get a PL win and 5-6 becomes a legitimate goal.

Conversely, a 1-10 finish means four winless PL records in five seasons for this current staff and only one win out of the weakened Davidson/Wagner/Sacred Heart/Marist pool. That's not going to cut it.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I don't expect anything but between a non-conference schedule of Davidson, Wagner, Sacred Heart, Marist, and Yale, 4-1 is doable. Get a PL win and 5-6 becomes a legitimate goal.

Conversely, a 1-10 finish means four winless PL records in five seasons for this current staff and only one win out of the weakened Davidson/Wagner/Sacred Heart/Marist pool. That's not going to cut it.

4-1 out of conference certainly is doable and would be great. That one league win would mean more than all the others combined, though. (Please let it be Lehigh . . . )

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Georgetown (and its fans) have got to start thinking the Hoyas can be in a position to win every one of these games. I'm reminded of a quote from Jimmy Johnson on the eve of his first season with the Dallas Cowboys (they went 1-15). When asked by the press what kind of record he was shooting for, he said "16-0." After they stopped laughing, he explained. "If I don't plan to win every game," he said, "why would my players?"

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Georgetown (and its fans) have got to start thinking the Hoyas can be in a position to win every one of these games. I'm reminded of a quote from Jimmy Johnson on the eve of his first season with the Dallas Cowboys (they went 1-15). When asked by the press what kind of record he was shooting for, he said "16-0." After they stopped laughing, he explained. "If I don't plan to win every game," he said, "why would my players?"

We'll see. I'm pulling for the Hoyas, as always (except in Easton). We open the Pardsville Paradiso against you this year. One never knows.

ngineer
July 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Typically wins equal all-league honors for team members. Here is a breakdown of how many all-league honorees each team had per win in 2009.

2009 Record All-League 1st and 2nd Team All-League Per Win

Holy Cross 9-3 15 players 1.7
Colgate 9-2 8 players .9
Lafayette—8-3 13 players 1.6
Lehigh—4-7 10 players 2.5
Fordham—5-6 8 players 1.6
Bucknell—4-7 4 players 1.0
G’town—0-11 1 player Anyone?

If you take last year’s all-league per win totals and apply them to LFN’s Preseason 1st and 2nd team totals for each team you can predict next year’s records.

LFN’s Preseason 1st and 2nd Team Totals Projected Wins

Lehigh—14 players 5.8
Holy Cross—10 players 6.2
Fordham—10 players 6.6
Lafayette—8 players 5
Colgate—6 players 7.2
Bucknell—5 players 5.5
Georgetown—2 players Betterish

Colgate 7-4
Fordham 7-4
Holy Cross 6-5
Lehigh 6-5
Bucknell 6-5
Lafayette 5-6
Georgetown 1-10* I added .5 all-league players to each team to compensate for an additional four players making last year’s first and second team versus LFN’s list this year (there were four ties last year).

Interesting how that works out in the League....Could be a four way tie for first..xrotatehx

ngineer
July 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
We'll see. I'm pulling for the Hoyas, as always (except in Easton). We open the Pardsville Paradiso against you this year. One never knows.

I never forget 2003 when the Colgate juggernaut beat Georgetown 20-19 in the last minute...AGS.

Pard94
July 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I have it on good authority that Lehigh will go 9-2 this year.

Pard94
July 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM
First team HC, anyone? Biddle? Gilmore? Tavani?

Please...Coen of course.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Please...Coen of course.

The view from atop the Pigeon Perch in Bethlehem: "Biddle, Gilmore, Tavani, yes, they're good coaches, but inconsistent from year to year. A case certainly can be made for Andy Coen this year, what with all that talent at his disposal . . . . . "

http://www.veriu.com/vp/forumi/style_emoticons/default/suicide.gif

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I see it's Springtime in Leopardtown - the sting of the overtime loss has finally faded enough for all of them to emerge once again. xlolx

carney2
July 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Please...Coen of course.

Over in the Chicken Coop, if the Squawks record a successful season, Cecchini will get all the credit. If they don't, the cry will once again be for Coen's head. Andy might as well pack the moving van. It's over no matter what happens.

Pard94
July 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I see it's Springtime in Leopardtown - the sting of the overtime loss has finally faded enough for all of them to emerge once again. xlolx

Yes well it has proven to be a bit more difficult to beat Lehigh in the past few years. No denying that. Then again OUR team actually shows up for the entire season so we are a bit windded by the time we hit late November. Perhaps we ought to sleep for the first 7 weeks of the season like Lehigh and see if that improves the outcome. xnodx

Pard94
July 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Over in the Chicken Coop, if the Squawks record a successful season, Cecchini will get all the credit. If they don't, the cry will once again be for Coen's head. Andy might as well pack the moving van. It's over no matter what happens.

And let me end the suspense for you...Cecchini won't be good enough either. We are talking about the mighty Lehigh you know.

RichH2
July 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Not so mighty, except vs LC . Disagree tho that new OC will get credit as opposed to Coen if LU has a better season . Excuses to the side, LU O last year was pathetic. What should have been better than the year before was worse. Fault lies with Coaches.I do not expect Ceech to be a magician just competent. That alone will be a vast improvement over the prior OC. D should be almost as good as last year. Key hinges on Offensive consistency and productin. And surviving Sept schedule.Anything less than 7-4 and Coen will be history. Better than that means we have to win 1 of H,Nova or UNH. A tough prospect.

Pard94
July 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Not so mighty, except vs LC . Disagree tho that new OC will get credit as opposed to Coen if LU has a better season . Excuses to the side, LU O last year was pathetic. What should have been better than the year before was worse. Fault lies with Coaches.I do not expect Ceech to be a magician just competent. That alone will be a vast improvement over the prior OC. D should be almost as good as last year. Key hinges on Offensive consistency and productin. And surviving Sept schedule.Anything less than 7-4 and Coen will be history. Better than that means we have to win 1 of H,Nova or UNH. A tough prospect.

Get ready to fall out of your chair but I wouldn't be completely shocked if Lehigh snuck up on UNH. Mind you if you guys even keep it close against either of them I think Lehigh Nation will be even more insufferable than they already are...which is almost not even possible because you are a pretty **** hard lot to suffer as it is. And that, my friends, is as close to a compliment as I could ever pay Lehigh...and more than they deserve I might add.

RichH2
July 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Are you feeling OK? A backhanded compliment true but a real one nonetheless. Other than Nova, I think we can keepmost Sept games close. Issue for Coen is winning some of those suckers. His track record does not inspire much confidence

LUHawker
July 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Are you feeling OK? A backhanded compliment true but a real one nonetheless. Other than Nova, I think we can keepmost Sept games close. Issue for Coen is winning some of those suckers. His track record does not inspire much confidence

Agreed that a compliment from Pard94 is stunning. As for Nova, I think Lehigh will hang better than most think. Even last year, LU did 'ok' for early in the season against a superior team. Having them at home on grass will be better for LU, but still won't likely change outcome.

carney2
July 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
The folks who are crying bias fail to mention that only five of the first team are from Lehigh (18%).

5/22 = 23%. Apparently the Engineers nickname was dropped by necessity.

Oh, and 5/22 = 23% is certainly deserving of an "only" when compared to the 11/44 = 25% for 1st + 2nd team. Again, no bias shown and certainly none taken.

carney2
July 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Get ready to fall out of your chair but I wouldn't be completely shocked if Lehigh snuck up on UNH. Mind you if you guys even keep it close against either of them I think Lehigh Nation will be even more insufferable than they already are...which is almost not even possible because you are a pretty **** hard lot to suffer as it is. And that, my friends, is as close to a compliment as I could ever pay Lehigh...and more than they deserve I might add.

That old Squawk lover, 94, once again giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Turn in your spots, you turn coat Leopard.

Bogus Megapardus
July 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Carney2 and Pard94 were candidates for the AstroPard Program. They've failed the get-along-well-in-confined-spaces test.

RichH2
July 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Confined padded spaces perhaps?

ngineer
July 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I think your preseason list is reasonable. Always a few close ones that can go either way. The only real quibble I would have is our own Veniero at safety. While the guy is a hell of a hitter, he's lacking in speed and unless he is able to see the play develop and anticipate he gets burned--as he did at Colgate that resulted in a long TD and the difference. He is certainly a hard-nosed player and leader, but I just don't see him as one of the top two safeties in the league. I hope he proves me wrong, though.

hawkhunter
July 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
you have Lafayettes offensive lineman Anthony Buffolino listed as a senior, he will be a junior this year.

carney2
July 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Both first and second team kick returners are from Lehigh? Really!

Bogus Megapardus
July 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM
you have Lafayettes offensive lineman Anthony Buffolino listed as a senior, he will be a junior this year.
I was going to suggest Buffolino as first team. He's better than anything the Pigeons have going for them, for sure.

Both first and second team kick returners are from Lehigh? Really!
He's a freshman, yes, but just wait until they get a load of what "The Jet" brings this fall. Just sayin' . . .

RichH2
July 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Buffolino better than Rackley or Clerge, now those are really rose colored glasses to see that.

hawkhunter
July 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Buffolino better than Rackley or Clerge, now those are really rose colored glasses to see that.

As I recall Buffolino took on your defensive all american last year and did a hell of a job as a SOPHMORE, Rich you might be eating some crow when this is all well and done. It was quite obvious that Lehigh thought there would be a huge matchup advantage putting the All American against a sophmore right tackle, unfortunatly if you look at the film the sophmore held his own and some, he's a talented kid that's only getting better under Stan Clayton.

RichH2
July 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Perhaps so, but I wouldn't be picking him for the PRE season team. Let's see what the PL post season team is. If Buffolino gets the nod, he will have earned it.