PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Payton Watch List Released

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Here is a link to the list. What do you guys think?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4325707

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Just a few notes.

1. I have not seen DeMarco yet as I was waiting to check him out this year because I didn't think he should be in the top 20 for it quite yet unless he proved to be a top player again this year. Would have waited on him but maybe Haley saw him play and thinks he is excellent?

2. I LOVE THE IJALANA PICK! I have been pushing for an OL for years and I know Coulson would have done it had he felt there was a guy worthy. I'm sure Mr. C would have put Ijalana on this year as well.

3. Solid list. Not much to complain about off the top of my head. I probably would have put Arkin from Missouri State and Rackley from Lehigh over Valentino and DeMarco but you don't want too many OL as they have no shot at winning and with QB the position who wins it the most you have to figure the odds are that while those two aren't better than Rackley and Arkin they have a much better shot.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
So - who is everyone's favorite going in?

My top three are Moses (SFA), Higgins (Weber) and Riddle (Elon).

Won't be long before the BB Watch List comes out, right?

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Buchanan comes out next week.

Not sure I would put Moses in the top 3. I don't think he will be there at the end of the year. Riddle is one I could see. I'm not a big fan of Higgins but he has a name so he could get votes just because of that.

A few names people might overlook who I think are likely to finish in the top 3-5 are Reynolds of Montana, NAU's Herrick, and Taiwan Jones of EWU.

CAAisBOSS
July 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Higgins????????? absolutely not a chance. he is awful.xnonoxxnonox

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Well he can be good but last year he was very inconsistent. No shot at the NFL. More like a CFL or AFL type.

DetroitFlyer
July 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Glad to see Dayton's Tino on the list.

Panther88
July 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Glad to see our (PV) very own KJ Black, Jr on the list. I think he was top 3 in terms of QB efficiency last year. And, led the entire state of Tx in QB effic @ the FBS and FCS level. That includes Mr McCoy and that INT throwing machine in Lubbock. lol

PhoenixPhan06
July 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Riddle shred the record books one last season. I can't believe he's already a senior, seems like yesterday when I was tellin all my buddies about this awesome freshman QB we have. With already over 10,000 career passing yds (active leader in FCS), I'm hoping he can go out with a bang and lead us back to the playoffs!!

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news.aspx?sid=fb&nid=7369

El Gato
July 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Moses may end up in the top 3, but as I mentioned on the SLC Prediction (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?69451-Southland-Conference-Predictions/page10)s thread, he is leading a very young and inexperienced offense, and this could effect his stats this year.

I think he should be in the top 3 but as SmallCollegeFBFan posted, he probably won't be there at the end of the year.

Poker Alan
July 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Whitney, Reynolds and Moses/Herrick I think are strong candidates....

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Jacksonville thought this guy was going to get in...guess not, at least not yet.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville University football team is in the midst of the most successful run in the program's short history. One of the biggest reasons that the Dolphins have had back to back winning seasons for the first time ever is running back Rudell Small.

As he gets ready for his senior season, Small is already the school's all-time leading rusher, and he holds the career record for most touchdowns scored.

It's expected that Rudell will be on the watch list for the Walter Payton Award which is the equivalent of the Heisman Trophy in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA). Previous winners of this award include Tony Romo and Brian Westbrook, and Steve McNair.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/news-article.aspx?storyid=159125&catid=14

mikebigg
July 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Glad to see our (PV) very own KJ Black, Jr on the list. I think he was top 3 in terms of QB efficiency last year. And, led the entire state of Tx in QB effic @ the FBS and FCS level. That includes Mr McCoy and that INT throwing machine in Lubbock. lol

Dude can ball... yall would have gone undefeated with him as full year starter.

Squealofthepig
July 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Ijalana is an amazing player - was great watching him in person at last year's NC game. Nice to see him on the list (along with Szczur - the Griz had zero answers for him).

Would Selle be on this list if he wasn't playing for the Griz? He definitely has the talent, and he's surrounded by some great players, but if he was at, say, Elon (a team that classically is under-represented in polling) would he fare as well?

Also good to see the Jackrabbits' Kyle Minett on the list.

Personally, I'll be cheering for Pat Devlin - but that's just my love of the Delaware program and hoping they return to prominence in the caa this year!

Seawolf97
July 12th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Keep #23 Eddie Gowins in mind. He is good for 1000 yards plus. Even injured last year he put up 800 yards.

SFA 93
July 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Moses Named to Walter Payton Award Watch List

SFA senior quarterback looks for a big senior season

July 12, 2010

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - Senior quarterback Jeremy Moses has been named to the 2010 Walter Payton Award Watch List announced Sports Network officials Monday afternoon. Moses is one of 20 players, including seven finalists from 2009, who is receiving early consideration for FCS' top individual honor.

Moses was the highest vote-getter among the returning players, finishing in seventh place. A preseason All-America selection, Moses closed out his junior campaign earning Southland Conference Player of the Year honors after completing 68 percent of his passes for 4,124 yards and 40 touchdowns.

He guided the `Jacks to the 2009 SLC title and the second round of the FCS playoffs. SFA finished the season ranked among the top 10 in all the major FCS top 25 polls. The Lumberjacks also led the nation averaging nearly 344 passing yards per game.

Despite having one year of eligibility remaining Moses already owns the schools career marks for completions, touchdown passes, passing yards and total offense. He is on pace to graduate as the conference's all-time leader in all four categories, as well as finishing among the nation all-time top 10.

The Payton Award is in its 24th season and will be presented to the FCS national player of the year on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas - the night before the national championship game.

-SFA-

Screamin_Eagle174
July 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Buchanan comes out next week.

Not sure I would put Moses in the top 3. I don't think he will be there at the end of the year. Riddle is one I could see. I'm not a big fan of Higgins but he has a name so he could get votes just because of that.

A few names people might overlook who I think are likely to finish in the top 3-5 are Reynolds of Montana, NAU's Herrick, and Taiwan Jones of EWU.

xthumbsupx

hawkssb04
July 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Yeah, his terrible outing against William and Mary in the FCS playoffs last year didn't impress me either. He has the talent to win the award, but he has a bad habit of throwing away screen passes for pick-6s (as you saw very will in that game in 2009).

hawkssb04
July 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Agreed on your point about Selle. Reynolds is an obvious choice and could be a finalist, but I don't know if Selle's performance last year warranted a spot on this list. But hey, if we are going to judge these guys by last year's performance, Higgins doesn't belong on the list either.

MinneapolisJack
July 13th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Some notes on SDSTATE's Kyle Minett

Rushing Stats:

602 attempts / 3,069 yds / 35 td / 5.1 ave

Receiving Stats:
79 receptions / 720 yds / 7 td / 9.1 ave

Here's a highlight video made after 2008 season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YncJ2yPo_bA

Touchdown Yosef
July 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
A note for The Sports Network, Riddle is not the Socon's all time passing leader... yet. He will be after a game or two but as of now that record is still held by Armanti Edwards.

Silenoz
July 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hmm, Selle was what... 4th in QB rating last year? I mean yes, having All-Americans at both RB and WR definitely makes life easy but he is no slouch. And he was splitting time in virtually every game.

jstclmet
July 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Chris Whitney: 2009 Villanova Football Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwgfnkgFDI

PhoenixSupreme
July 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I gotta say top three at the end of the year could be Szczur, Riddle, and either Taiwan Jones or Devon Moore

AppTrex77
July 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I gotta say top three at the end of the year could be Szczur, Riddle, and either Taiwan Jones or Devon Moore

I agree with your choices. Devon Moore will have a greater opportunity to shine due to the loss of Armanti. He will have to carry the ball a great deal more than he has in the past, especially with the inexperience we have at quarterback.