PDA

View Full Version : SLC Schools Eye LSU QB Transfer Possibility

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM
FYI - LSU redshirt freshman QB Chris Garrett has been announced as leaving the LSU program. While I do not have access to TigerBait.com, this other web site noted FOUR different SLC schools that are interested...

SHSU has had an LSU transfer at QB before - Jordan Reever - but he never played.

Not sure if the group at NWST (led by former LSU coordinator Bradley Dale Peveto) was involved in Garrett's recruitment.

SHSU has an opening for QB - no word what is going on with Auburn's Tyrik Rollison at this point. SFA loses Jeremy Moses after this year and runs an offense that may whet the appetite of a transfer. SLU has Tyler Beatty (senior) running the show this year...

The report says that Northwestern State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin are all interested in Garrett. He would be eligible immediately if he transfers to an FCS school.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/ken-trahan/431657-chris-garrett-quits-lsus-football-team.html

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
FYI - LSU redshirt freshman QB Chris Garrett has been announced as leaving the LSU program. While I do not have access to TigerBait.com, this other web site noted FOUR different SLC schools that are interested...

SHSU has had an LSU transfer at QB before - Jordan Reever - but he never played.

Not sure if the group at NWST (led by former LSU coordinator Bradley Dale Peveto) was involved in Garrett's recruitment.

SHSU has an opening for QB - no word what is going on with Auburn's Tyrik Rollison at this point. SFA loses Jeremy Moses after this year and runs an offense that may whet the appetite of a transfer. SLU has Tyler Beatty (senior) running the show this year...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/ken-trahan/431657-chris-garrett-quits-lsus-football-team.html

Not going to speak for our coaching staff, but I doubt seriously that we have any interest, even though Garrett's high school coach at Tupelo HS (Eric Collins) is from Chalmette, La. and his son played baseball at Southeastern. We have a 5th year senior (Beatty), a redshirt sophomore (B.J. Young) and three incoming freshmen whom we like and we already have transfers coming in at other positions...I think the Tigerbait article was merely speculating...I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett called our staff, but I doubt we'll be in the mix.

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
From DandyDon.com...

Good morning, Tiger Fans. Friday was a huge day for email and most of the messages I received were concerning Chris Garrett's scholarship at LSU not being renewed. As most of you know, scholarships are given for one year only and are renewed each season. It is very unusual for a player who is in good standing academically and behaviorally to have his scholarship taken away from him. Reports are that Garrett will finish summer school at LSU before transferring to another school, perhaps one in the Football Championship Subdivision where he would not be forced to sit out a year before becoming eligible.

As for Garrett, I really thought that he was going to make LSU an outstanding quarterback when he signed with LSU because of his size, arm strength and strong academics. Things started going downhill for Garrett in Spring practice when he saw limited action in Spring scrimmages and in the Spring game. I have received several emails suggesting that Garrett's scholarship was not renewed because of Les Miles wanting to move Zach Lee up in the depth chart as fast as possible, but I do not believe that to be the case. Zach Lee will make his climb on the depth chart without any help from anyone, that is, if he doesn't chose to play pro baseball.

lionsrking2
July 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
From DandyDon.com...

If I had to guess, he'll wind up at Mississippi State...his family went there and are die-hard Bulldog fans...he also had a bad case of homesickness at LSU and will probably want to get closer to home...wouldn't shock me if he winds up at Delta State.

AxeEmJacks
July 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
The Jacks already has a pretty good backup junior in Dalton Williams but we'll take whatever we can. But I do agree with lionsrking2, if he has nothing to look forward to in Texas I doubt he'll head here.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The latest - though nothing really new...

Garrett would have to sit out a year if he switched to an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision school, but he could play this season if he moved to a Football Championship Subdivision program.

“He’s contacted schools in Louisiana — Southeastern for sure,” Nadeau said.

http://www.lsureveille.com/mobile/sports/football-qb-chris-garrett-to-transfer-from-lsu-1.2279585

lionsrking2
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The latest - though nothing really new...

http://www.lsureveille.com/mobile/sports/football-qb-chris-garrett-to-transfer-from-lsu-1.2279585

I was told from a highly credible source that he did contact us, SFA, NW State, McNeese and Sam Houston in addition to some others...again, I won't speak for our coaching staff, but I don't see us making an offer...obviously you do have to give consideration to taking an SEC transfer with four years of eligibility remaining, but I'm not sold this is one we should take with five QBs on scholarship already.

I was told Mississippi State would be the likely destination if they had a scholarship to give, but doesn't look like they do at this point. Looks like there's a good chance he'll land somewhere in the SLC. SFA is the only school I know for sure that has offered.

TexasTerror
July 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I think as it relates to SHSU's situation - we (as fans) do not know what's happening with Tyrik Rollison. The school has yet to formally announce him and that's not too much of a concern, since we've had to wait in the past with guys like this (see Blake Joseph) til really close to the start of practice (if not the start of practice).

All indications are that Rollison was still taking classes at Auburn and we could be waiting on final transcripts or a letter from them that he is passed the classes he needed if they can not generate an official transcript until the end of summer school on campus.

SFA 93
July 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
SFA also has Redshirt Freshman QB Brady Attaway 6-2; 214 who was a Scout.com Top 150 QB coming out of high school as well as Red Shirt Freshman Texas Tech transfer Garrett Riley 6-0; 186 (2007 AP Offensive Player of the Year)

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
He's going to be a Demon!

According to sources close to Chris Garrett, the former LSU quarterback will transfer to Northwestern State University.

Garrett will be immediately eligible at the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) school in Natchitoches, Louisiana.

Originally enrolled at LSU in the spring of 2009, Garrett was with the team through the spring of 2010.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/lsu/446930-former-lsu-quarterback-garrett-to-transfer-to-northwestern-state.html

And another article...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100802/SPORTS/100802024/Former-LSU-quarterback-to-enroll-at-NSU

Current QBs (pre-Garrett) on the Demons roster...while putting in bold the significant ones...

16 Don Canyon QB 6-2 239 Fr. HS Dallas, TX (Lincoln HS)
13 Paul Harris QB 6-1 190 So. 1L Baton Rouge, LA (Tara HS)
15 Stephen Stamey QB 6-1 213 So. 1L Lewisville, TX (Lewisville HS)
8 Tyler Wolfe QB 6-5 228 Sr. 1L Baton Rouge, LA (Louisville) (Central HS)

DG Cowboy
August 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Coach Peveto's connection to LSU starts to pay dividends maybe?

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Northwestern State message board now reporting that Garrett is leaving the program...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/forkemdemons/messages/?msg=5282.1