PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Players Motivated by New Coaching Staff

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Glad to see the Kats are motivated. This is a very young team and they have a new coaching staff, so would conceivably be very hard-pressed to equal, let alone improve the results from last year.

With so much turnover on the roster and the coaching staff, it’s hard for SHSU fans to be too optimistic about the upcoming campaign. But for returning guys like defensive lineman Coty Gatewood, the will to prove any doubters wrong that this team can compete in 2010 has been the driving force this summer during individual workouts.

“That makes us just want to do better and prove them wrong,” Gatewood said Tuesday afternoon. “The stuff that we do now and the way we are pushed is like nothing we have ever been through. We won like four or five games last year, we can easily win more than that from what we are doing now.”

The excitement the players have under the new coaching staff and all the changes Fritz has made has brought a different and refreshing attitude to the players. More guys have hung around longer this summer, hitting the weight room with strength and conditioning coach Kyle Speer.

http://itemonline.com/sports/x1907081467/No-letting-up

DG Cowboy
July 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Always liked Sam, but never quite understood how it doesn't seem to milk the nearby Greater Houston area a little better. I also think the second year of Scott Stoker's defense will evidence noticeable progress. It all starts with the mind believing, so the new motivation is good.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear the players are really buying into the new coaching staff.

I just hope the program would never be cursed again and have an onside kick go backwards on them! That had to be humiliating.

Anyway, much success to Sam Houston Bearkats!

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Always liked Sam, but never quite understood how it doesn't seem to milk the nearby Greater Houston area a little better. I also think the second year of Scott Stoker's defense will evidence noticeable progress. It all starts with the mind believing, so the new motivation is good.

In the last few years of Todd Whitten, he stated that SHSU was going to expand its recruiting base to areas of West Texas. I think the general notion was the SHSU was having problems recruiting the Greater Houston area in light of the fact that every school - FBS and FCS plus whomever else - in the nation was working the Houston and Dallas areas pretty hard. Will give TW some credit as SHSU recruited into Oklahoma and Kansas for the first time in recent memory and our roster was not full of Texans. Got some nice-sized OL from Oklahoma, hard to complain there!

And I agree with your assessment about Scott Stoker's defense. Year two should be an improvement and let's keep him in mind that he had quite the young group. Lots of redshirt freshmen and sophomores were playing back there. Got to limit those high-powered offenses!