PDA

View Full Version : Port City Classic Pay Day Explained

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
FYI, this was in the Shreveport Times...

I find it interesting that between $400k and $500k, that La Tech reaps 75% of the profit - so if the game makes more than $500k, La Tech remains "ahead" by $75k over Grambling - even though it is Grambling's "home game" at the neutral site. That's on ticket sales.

Grambling still may come ahead (or close it) due to some corporate sale scenario in which Learfield Sports retains La Tech's corporate sale break.

What is the word in northern Louisiana? This game going to sell out?

Despite some confusion from fans of both Louisiana Tech and Grambling State about what the contract entails for the Port City Classic on Sept. 4 in Shreveport, the details offer favorable elements for both schools.

What's required for both institutions to have a significant payday is for fans of both schools to purchase tickets and appear in Independence Stadium on a holiday weekend.

Proceeds from the first $400,000 in ticket sales will be split evenly between both Tech and Grambling. Of the ticket sales between $400,000 and $500,000, Tech will receive 75 percent and GSU 25 percent. Anything above the half million dollar mark is once again evenly split.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100702/SPORTS02/7020308/1025/SPORTS0101

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
La Tech fans respond to the pay day breakdown (http://latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77961) on their board...

lilrj1919
July 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I guess many have misconceptions. Tech will not be getting more than GSU, our AD released a statement concerning the payout. Tech has to realize, GSU has the rights to the Port City Classic and will be playing in Shreveport next year in the Port City Classic and the year after that. This is GSU's game. I know one thing Tech and many others should be thankful for integration because if that didn't happen they would have never played Grambling etc.xlolx

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I guess many have misconceptions. Tech will not be getting more than GSU, our AD released a statement concerning the payout. Tech has to realize, GSU has the rights to the Port City Classic and will be playing in Shreveport next year in the Port City Classic and the year after that. This is GSU's game. I know one thing Tech and many others should be thankful for integration because if that didn't happen they would have never played Grambling etc.xlolx

The La Tech fans are pushing for an annual 'season-opening' contest in Shreveport.

Moving forward, could both institutions possibly be able to stage an early September game in Shreveport? Or would that not be successful? La Tech's fans talk about bringing in regional opposition or in-state foes for the game. That could conceivably work for the right school. Who would Grambling bring in? An in-state FCS or an HBCU? Or how about a ULM that could probably stand the benefit financially from such an arrangement?

lilrj1919
July 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know about Tech but Grambling is already in contract to play in Shreveport for 2011 and 2012 during Labor Day weekend. Grambling's looking at ULM, FAMU, Southeastern, Northwestern etc. I seriously believe the 2011 game will be between Grambling and ULM.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM
There's probably no reason to expand Strawberry Stadium until they get strong crowds in there all the time. They have upgraded the stadium in the last few years and my last visit this past year, I saw an upgraded press box and they also had suites, an adjacent parking garage and just nice aesthetics. I believe GL94 or one of the other Lion fans can give you the specifics.

And they do recruit well into Mississippi - particularly the JUCO ranks. Not sure how much they do in Alabama, but that has never stuck out to me.

Who are the other options and where can fans vote? I'm sure the SLU fans and SLC fans in general would love to contribute to the voting. The Lions have two winnable $$$ games this year - ULM and Tulane. I am sure they'd appreciate another one - Grambling! ;)

The voting is limited to Gramblinites only...the intent is to guage who our fans are interested in playing. Right now the options are in-state schools except Tulane and LSU.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The voting is limited to Gramblinites only...the intent is to guage who our fans are interested in playing. Right now the options are in-state schools except Tulane and LSU.

Wonder if La-Lafayette would be interested in playing the game. Both La Tech and ULM have heavy alum bases in nearby Shreveport, so playing a neutral site game (especially for La Tech - who wants to play one yearly) makes plenty of sense...

Either way, hope to see some SLC vs SWAC match-ups in which the contract obligations are fulfilled. I know it will be difficult with the SWAC schools playing nine conference games and the not so willingness of several SWAC schools to schedule more than nine, 10 games.

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Wonder if La-Lafayette would be interested in playing the game. Both La Tech and ULM have heavy alum bases in nearby Shreveport, so playing a neutral site game (especially for La Tech - who wants to play one yearly) makes plenty of sense...

Either way, hope to see some SLC vs SWAC match-ups in which the contract obligations are fulfilled. I know it will be difficult with the SWAC schools playing nine conference games and the not so willingness of several SWAC schools to schedule more than nine, 10 games.

ULL is the least perferred based on the tally so far... As for the contract obligations, I'm was talking about Grambling's Port City Classic...we have NEVER not lived up to a contract obligation except for our agreeing to play Nichols in Thibodeaux and releasing them from coming to Grambling the next year. Oh BTW...we won the game in Thibodeaux!

mikebigg
July 7th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Man you are sad, You never fail with your attempts. Last I checked this was about Grambling and Port City Classic. Mod this is what we are complaining about. BS like this.

I think he's a mod also...that's kinda obvious. I've learned to just laff it off...and smh!

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think he's a mod also...that's kinda obvious. I've learned to just laff it off...and smh!

This board is transparent - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70070-New-Mods

mikebigg
July 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Nice try...but let's keep it moving.

The Port City Classic can be a huge game for all of FCS... I would like to see a diverse group of schools as our opponent. I like the idea of using La Schools during the inception/early years but would
like to see this become a vehicle by which we could play other regional opponents that are primarily FCS school and non-BCS conference affiliated FBS schools.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Nice try...but let's keep it moving.

The Port City Classic can be a huge game for all of FCS... I would like to see a diverse group of schools as our opponent. I like the idea of using La Schools during the inception/early years but would
like to see this become a vehicle by which we could play other regional opponents that are primarily FCS school and non-BCS conference affiliated FBS schools.

I think it's a great idea mikebigg and much success to the ICON 51 weeks out of the year!

mikebigg
July 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I think it's a great idea mikebigg and much success to the ICON 51 weeks out of the year!

Yeah... that week we play yall, no well wishes are needed! (LOL, I couldn't help it bruh...) I don't know how SFA or UCA fanbase travels or if they are interested, but once we finish playing the La Schools those two would be my choices (among FCS schools) due to their proximity to Grambling. Nagadoches is only like 73 miles from us... something I didn't realize until a year or so ago when I did a mapquest search on SLC schools from Grambling.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
May or may not see this on the Grambling site, but this comes from La Tech...a title sponsor for the game, which I am sure helps the pockets of both schools.

Curious though...why is La Tech getting the title sponsor for Grambling's Classic? This relationship, especially since it is a one-year deal for this match-up while Grambling controls the Classic, does confuse me.

RUSTON - LA Tech Sports Properties announced today that Community Trust Bank is the title sponsor of the inaugural Port City Classic which will be played Sept. 4 at Independence Stadium in the first ever match-up between Louisiana Tech and Grambling State.

Mason Ellenberger, general manager for LA Tech Sports Properties, said that CTB is expanding their support of both Louisiana Tech and Grambling State with this commitment. This will be the first time the two schools will face each other in Tech's 108-year history of intercollegiate football.

"Community Trust Bank is honored to be the title sponsor of this historic matchup between Louisiana Tech and Grambling State," said Lance Hall, Regional President of CTB. "These great Universities play such a vital role in Lincoln Parish and in the state of Louisiana, and CTB is excited for the opportunity to strengthen these partnerships."

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072710aae.html

gram4life
July 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
May or may not see this on the Grambling site, but this comes from La Tech...a title sponsor for the game, which I am sure helps the pockets of both schools.

Curious though...why is La Tech getting the title sponsor for Grambling's Classic? This relationship, especially since it is a one-year deal for this match-up while Grambling controls the Classic, does confuse me.

More than likely it's a one year deal also.

mikebigg
July 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Joint-Venture actually...although it's our home game, La Tech realizes that a successful attendance figure puts money in their coffers and gives them a game before a large alumni base. Same thing goes for us.

This is gonna be good!!!!!

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Joint-Venture actually...although it's our home game, La Tech realizes that a successful attendance figure puts money in their coffers and gives them a game before a large alumni base. Same thing goes for us.

I thought this was Grambling's "Classic" moving forward? I know La Tech wanted to do a game in Shreveport annually, but what happens past this year? I guess that's where I am confused...

This is gonna be good!!!!!

And more good news coming! ;)

lilrj1919
July 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
LaTech just released info about the sponsor, but the sponsor covers both schools. Tech knows this is a big one. The Port City Classic is Grambling's Classic and it is to be played for a couple of more year in Shreveport with Grambling being the home team playing other teams because it's GSU's Classic. That's whats happening past this year.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Saw this on the Sun Belt BBS... Grambling is selling more than La Tech, but it'll be La Tech who gets the slight financial advantage, right? Glad to see there is proof that Grambling is out-doing LTU. Curious who has more walk-ups...

PORT CITY CLASSIC
"Ticket sales for tomorrow night's Port City Classic have already reached over 26,000 - but there are still great seats available! According to sports officials at Grambling State University and Louisiana Tech University, as of early this morning, GSU reported 15,000 tickets sold and Tech had 11,000 sold for the match-up at Independence Stadium. And they estimate at least another 8,000 tickets, between the two schools, will be sold by game time tomorrow...."

The rest of the story is about parking concerns for fans. Anyway, if this ratio stays constant for tonight's game then I don't want to hear another word from a Tech fan about the Grambling attendance at our game in 2007. Our game attendance was 30,101 at Malone's capacity. I have no doubt that the Shreveport game will exceed that number (in a bigger stadium) but so far it doesn't sound like a sell-out. Tech's supposed to have this large northwest Louisiana alumni base but so far Grambling's outdoing them.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=450791

La Tech fan reaction...

http://latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80202

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Any pictures? Grambling had more than 50%, in fact "well over"... guess La Tech fans were all talk!

From there, Tech held on the rest of the way in taking a 20-6 victory over the nearby Tigers at Shreveport’s Independence Stadium, which probably had two-thirds of its 50,459 seats filled – and well over 50 percent of those there in support of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS, formerly I-AA) Tigers.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=467926&Itemid=578

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Official attendance listed just over 32k...

Fans over on the La Tech fan board believe there were over 40k at the game and are accusing someone of messing around with the numbers to help Grambling's take - http://latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80279

Things like this can get audited, in fact I'm pretty sure ticket sales at all NCAA Division I schools (and even lesser classifications) are audited all the time. There's big money in ticket sales - just think of the Kansas scandal.

If anyone sees an article about the economic impact of this game - for Shreveport and both schools - would love to see it.

Any word on next year's Port City Classic opponent yet?

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
lilrj on TSPN (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?91898-Swac-Football-Attendance-Week-1&p=1721048&viewfull=1#post1721048) said...

I heard that the choices are FAMU, Northwesten, ULM, Southeastern and McNeese but don't know the years and which team will get selected.

Wonder what would be the best draw in Shreveport. Grambling will always be the best draw in northern Louisiana of the state's teams (sans LSU). Which team would be the second-best draw of the available?