PDA

View Full Version : What 1A teams would you Move to I-AA?

65 Pard
January 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'll start with the obvious

Temple....no fans, no hope for 1A

some might say Army but I think they will be back to respectable level...too many people want it to happen..

SU Jag
January 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I would have to say the school right here in my back yard, UAB. They miss out on all of the talent in the state. Its bad when you're a D-1 school and some of the kids that you're recruiting give you the shaft to go to Jacksoville State, Alabama A&M, and other lower division schools in the state. They have no facilities what so ever! The football team doesn't even have a real locker room, their locker room is at the botom of Bartow Arena. The school doesn't give a rip about the football program because they have had the same coach for about 11 years and he only has 1 bowl berth! They averaged less that 20,000 for home games this past year, and they only pulled out 5 wins this year with probably the most talented team in the program's history. The lower division schools in the state have way better facilities than they do and add the fact that they don't even play the biggest game in their own home stadium. Miles College has drawn more folks to Legion Feild for a ball game than UAB ever has and they're a division 2 school! They need to try to move down because I don't see them making any kind of improvements at the 1-A level. :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 8th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Idaho and Middle Tennessee State for Starters.

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
NMSU - They always seem to be pretty bad at the I-A level, and we could use another decent program out west.

Idaho - Same reason.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
NMSU - They always seem to be pretty bad at the I-A level, and we could use another decent program out west.

Idaho - Same reason.

Don't you mean New Mexico? NMSU is the one that's pretty good I think.

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Don't you mean New Mexico? NMSU is the one that's pretty good I think.

No. I live in Albuquerque right now. :)

UNM Lobos (6-5, MWC)

NMSU Aggies (0-12, WAC)

seeker
January 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
None of them. Next thread!
I would have to say the school right here in my back yard, UAB. They miss out on all of the talent in the state. Its bad when you're a D-1 school and some of the kids that you're recruiting give you the shaft to go to Jacksoville State, Alabama A&M, and other lower division schools in the state.Jax State and AAMU are not in a lower division, they are D-I.

wsufan
January 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Eastern Michigan - Not competitive, has been outdrawn by Grand Valley State, a D-II team in Michigan. Besides that gets a D-IAA in Michigan.

Kent State - Hasn't be consistantly good in D-IA (save a few years in the 70s). Another poor drawning team (I know there are High Schools in Ohio that out draw the Golden Flashes).

Buffalo - Another do nothing in a stadium in front of no one. I'll be interested to see where the new coaching leads them, but I think this is a no win situation.

ucdtim17
January 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
San Jose State is the obvious choice in California, but they're much more likely to drop fb than drop down. They averaged 6,500 fans last year with Boise and Fresno at home - imagine what they'd average with Northern Arizona and Idaho State.

JALMOND
January 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
San Jose State and Utah State. Both would be good fits for the Big Sky, better than the WAC that they are both in.

SU Jag
January 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
None of them. Next thread!Jax State and AAMU are not in a lower division, they are D-I.

Football wise they're 1-AA not 1-A! :rolleyes:

GOKATS
January 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Idaho.

It was a poor decision when they moved to I-A. They got caught up in the hype with Boise St. moving up. They were always a good competitor in the Big Sky and it's probably where they belong, but I doubt if they'll ever come back to I-AA.

HiHiYikas
January 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Eastern Michigan - Not competitive, has been outdrawn by Grand Valley State, a D-II team in Michigan. Besides that gets a D-IAA in Michigan.
Grand Valley State isn't you're average D-II team, though. The Lakers have won 3 of the last 4 National Championships and gone 51-4 over the past 4 years. That's got to be a huge draw. I'd go see them over Eastern Michigan at any level.

mainejeff
January 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
My top 2 picks would be:

1. San Jose State
2. Idaho

golionsgo
January 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Let's see...UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Tulane, North Texas, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Middle Tennessee, Utah State, Arkansas State, Idaho, New Mexico State...I'm sure I'll think of more.

Cocky
January 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Troy State
UAB
Marshall
Middle Tenn
ULL
ULM
Ark State
E Carolina
Memphis
Mississippi State
Duke
Wake Forrest
TCU
Rice
Boise State
Idaho
North Texas

SU Jag
January 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Troy State
UAB
Marshall
Middle Tenn
ULL
ULM
Ark State
E Carolina
Memphis
Mississippi State
Duke
Wake Forrest
TCU
Rice
Boise State
Idaho
North Texas

I can understand UAB and a few others, but TCU, Boise State, Wake Forrest, Miss. State, Memphis, and the a few others? Seems like they're doing fine at the 1-A level.

OL FU
January 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Troy State
UAB
Marshall
Middle Tenn
ULL
ULM
Ark State
E Carolina
Memphis
Mississippi State
Duke
Wake Forrest
TCU
Rice
Boise State
Idaho
North Texas

The one time I feel completely safe speaking for every Paladin fan in the world would be now.

Marshall can go to hell and stay in I-A. Especially go to hell :nod:

BobcatSymphony
January 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
The entire Slum Belt Conference can go I-AA. TCU, Memphis and Boise St, however I think are doing really well. TCU just had a great season, and while BS had a slight drop off, they're still a very strong team.

gokats85
January 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Add U of Houston, maybe Rice (won't happen). SHSU and TSU-SM have attendance averages on par with the Cougars and Owls.

blukeys
January 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
None of them. Next thread!Jax State and AAMU are not in a lower division, they are D-I.

Ralph is gonna love this newbie.

blukeys
January 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I'll start with the obvious

Temple....no fans, no hope for 1A

some might say Army but I think they will be back to respectable level...too many people want it to happen..
I'm opposed to Temple joining I-AA. Let them pay their dues in Pop Warner or the CYO varsity division before they try to play real college football.

LeopardFan04
January 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'm opposed to Temple joining I-AA. Let them pay their dues in Pop Warner or the CYO varsity division before they try to play real college football.

And what conference would they play in? I'm sure the A-10 wouldn't want them...

blukeys
January 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I guess that leaves the PL. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Temple's exemplary academic standards especially for the basketball program would be a GREAT FIT!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FlyYtown
January 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Kent State - Hasn't be consistantly good in D-IA (save a few years in the 70s). Another poor drawning team (I know there are High Schools in Ohio that out draw the Golden Flashes).

Buffalo - Another do nothing in a stadium in front of no one. I'll be interested to see where the new coaching leads them, but I think this is a no win situation.

3 MAC TEAMS OUT.. Hello WKU and YSU?!

I agree. I have gone to about 10 Kent State games over 10 years and its a joke.. The only game they do get more than 18K is when YSU brings 5,000 down the 30 minute interstate.. They are a joke of program.. They average what under 5,000 a game and trust me its like 2,000 a game and the stadium sucks too.. the name as well: DIX STADIUM...

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
The entire Slum Belt Conference can go I-AA.
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure the Sun Belt could compete with the SoCon, however. In some years (this year being one of them), I think about half of the ACC belongs in I-AA. Pretty much everyone that has moved from I-AA to I-A, other than Marshall, Boise State, Troy State and UConn, should be I-AA.

Interestingly enough, Marshall was at Appalachian State for basketball last week (the Blundering Turds' first trip to Boone since leaving the SoCon in 1996-97) and I got to talk with an old friend, Rick McCann, who is the sports editor of the Huntington Dispatch. Anyway, McCann says it is about a 50-50 split between Marshall fans who think the move to I-A was a good one and those who wish the Herd had stayed in the SoCon. They have been disappointed that Marshall's attendance has grown and also that the team is experiencing a down turn in football success. Really, Boise State is about the only school that has had any sustained success as an athletic program since moving up.

LeopardFan04
January 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I guess that leaves the PL. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Temple's exemplary academic standards especially for the basketball program would be a GREAT FIT!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly, maybe then can join the PSAC and go DII

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Let them play in the MAAC. The MAAC needs teams badly and I'm sure that the Owls would love being thumped by Duquesne every year. A Pittsburgh team whomping on a Philly school would be fun.

Go...gate
January 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Tulane, Rice, Temple, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Idaho, San Jose State and Buffalo.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Buffalo wasn't even very good as a I-AA team. I couldn't believe it the day that the Mid-American Conference chose Buffalo over Youngstown State when it expanded. The old television market argument. Other than men's basketball, what is Buffalo good at? Certainly the Bulls are among the worst teams in I-A football.

GOKATS
January 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think the Boise St. move was a good one for them, though I wish they werre still in the Big Sky. They have the population base, fan support, corporate funding, and facilities to be competitive (though I have to admit that as many trips I made there for FB, I never could get used to the blue turf).

UNR also made a good move, but they were without a doubt the most fun (and costly :beerchug: ) BSC road trip, despite the drive.

wannabegaucho
January 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
The entire Sun Belt and Temple. Time will tell with the others.

Stang Fever
January 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think the Boise St. move was a good one for them, though I wish they werre still in the Big Sky. They have the population base, fan support, corporate funding, and facilities to be competitive (though I have to admit that as many trips I made there for FB, I never could get used to the blue turf).

UNR also made a good move, but they were without a doubt the most fun (and costly :beerchug: ) BSC road trip, despite the drive.
LOL...it was prob. all of the gambling you were doing friday and saturday night... LMAO

As for this whole thread....the samething could be said about I-AA bottoms...can someone answer this...IN THE MANY YEARS OF I-A and I-AA football how many teams have actually moved down...and that should answer the res of the thread from here on out

Cocky
January 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure the Sun Belt could compete with the SoCon, however. In some years (this year being one of them), I think about half of the ACC belongs in I-AA. Pretty much everyone that has moved from I-AA to I-A, other than Marshall, Boise State, Troy State and UConn, should be I-AA.

Interestingly enough, Marshall was at Appalachian State for basketball last week (the Blundering Turds' first trip to Boone since leaving the SoCon in 1996-97) and I got to talk with an old friend, Rick McCann, who is the sports editor of the Huntington Dispatch. Anyway, McCann says it is about a 50-50 split between Marshall fans who think the move to I-A was a good one and those who wish the Herd had stayed in the SoCon. They have been disappointed that Marshall's attendance has grown and also that the team is experiencing a down turn in football success. Really, Boise State is about the only school that has had any sustained success as an athletic program since moving up.

You must not have seen Troy this year. They could not have won the OVC. Troy would have been around 4th.

Pard4Life
January 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Just get rid of Temple football... who cares?

Boot Buffalo to I-AA, Colgate and Lehigh have owned them... so maybe DII?

Move Sun Belt to I-AA. But then again that's a playoff bid and I don't think any of those programs are appealing.

Bring back Florida Atlantic. Colgate looked like it had fun in Florida come playoff time. It's a nice weather destination.

And Rutgers to I-AA.

Two kids from the rival high school went to Eastern Michigan and Buffalo. What a horrible choice. I think one left E. Michigan and went to Delaware... Zambrano? He is a high school teammate of the punter. If you want to play I-A football and you are left with those choices as programs... take the I-AA route. The A-10, PL, SoCon are much more competitve.. and the fans CARE.

blukeys
January 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM
LOL...it was prob. all of the gambling you were doing friday and saturday night... LMAO

As for this whole thread....the samething could be said about I-AA bottoms...can someone answer this...IN THE MANY YEARS OF I-A and I-AA football how many teams have actually moved down...and that should answer the res of the thread from here on out

McNeese State and most would say that the move was beneficial for the Cowboys.

Most failed I-A programs drop football entirely rather than consider a move to I-AA. This has more to do with the egos of the decision makers then any rational appraisal of a move to I-AA.

Temple is just such a case. Temple chose to forego I-AA rivalries with Penn, Nova, Delaware, Lehigh and Lafayette so that they can get those big name schools like Kent State and Eastern Michigan to scrimmage Temple in the vast confines of an empty 65,000 seat stadium.

Temple is just playing out the string. They will drop football within 5 years.

dirtbag
January 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned my alma mater -- SMU.

GOKATS
January 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM

You would be correct. Extremely boring drive across Nevada, but from Bozeman to Reno, Jackpot is just about half way. Nice rest stop and we'd try to get a little sleep before heading on. Way too much fun in Reno & then a forever drive back to Bozeman on Sunday. Love road trips!!

JaxSinfonian
January 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Troy (State), to renew the rivalry.
Followed closely by UAB.

seeker
January 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM

Most failed I-A programs drop football entirely rather than consider a move to I-AA. This has more to do with the egos of the decision makers then any rational appraisal of a move to I-AA.

Temple is just such a case. Temple chose to forego I-AA rivalries with Penn, Nova, Delaware, Lehigh and Lafayette so that they can get those big name schools like Kent State and Eastern Michigan to scrimmage Temple in the vast confines of an empty 65,000 seat stadium.

Temple is just playing out the string. They will drop football within 5 years. :hurray: :nod:

ngineer
January 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned my alma mater -- SMU.

Just coincidentally, my dad and I were discussing SMU's situation the other night watching one of the bowl games, and how the Mustangs have never really recovered from the 'death penalty' of what, 20 years ago?? A number of programs have fallen on times but have been able to return to competitiveness, but why not SMU?

mainejeff
January 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
The Louisiana schools are going to be hard pressed to all stay I-A. The hurricanes may have been the final blow in pushing some of these schools back to I-AA.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
You must not have seen Troy this year. They could not have won the OVC. Troy would have been around 4th.
I did see Troy State a couple of times. Cal Poly lost to them, so they were not that bad. Still, the Trojans are very borderline to me as a I-AA. They could have a modicum of success as a I-A program (they did drop a ton of money playing in a bowl game in 2004), but the only teams that matter in Alabama are the Crimson Tide and Auburn.

Mr. C
January 8th, 2006, 11:28 PM
As for this whole thread....the samething could be said about I-AA bottoms...can someone answer this...IN THE MANY YEARS OF I-A and I-AA football how many teams have actually moved down...and that should answer the res of the thread from here on out.

Temple is just playing out the string. They will drop football within 5 years.
The SoCon was I-A until the reorganization of the sub-classification in 1982, when the league dropped to I-AA. Obviously, it has been a good move for the league, considering its six I-AA championships and numerous final apperances and semifinal berths since.

colgate13
January 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Buffalo wasn't even very good as a I-AA team.

So true... they've had one winning season since 1987! The people making those decisions should have been fired!

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2006, 09:14 AM
DUKE!!!

dirtbag
January 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Just coincidentally, my dad and I were discussing SMU's situation the other night watching one of the bowl games, and how the Mustangs have never really recovered from the 'death penalty' of what, 20 years ago?? A number of programs have fallen on times but have been able to return to competitiveness, but why not SMU?

Part of it is because of post-death penalty academic restrictions (that have since been relaxed). It used to be that a recruit had to be admitted to the university before he was allowed on an official recruiting visit. No special admits for athletes, either. We had one basketball recruit who wanted to sign but was denied admission, and he turned around and signed with Notre Dame.

The current problem is a moronic athletic director. The football team was making some pretty decent progress coming back in the early 90's, when the school hired a new AD. That guy fired the football coach (Tom Rossley), brought in his own guy (Mike Cavan) who had a good year his first year but proceeded to run it into the ground, and was allowed to do so for far too long.

Cavan is now out of coaching; Rossley is the offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.

Cocky
January 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I did see Troy State a couple of times. Cal Poly lost to them, so they were not that bad. Still, the Trojans are very borderline to me as a I-AA. They could have a modicum of success as a I-A program (they did drop a ton of money playing in a bowl game in 2004), but the only teams that matter in Alabama are the Crimson Tide and Auburn.

Cal-Poly sent an early X-mas present. I'm sure their coach would reserve a few call in that game if given the chance.

Mr. Tiger
January 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
All of the schools that fall below the NCAA Division I-A bylaws on attendance should not remain in Division I-A. Those bylaws say teams should average 15,000 or more in attendance. The NCAA has waived that rule in the past few years to keep teams in Division I-A.

Here is the list of schools that fall below....
Bowling Green
La.-Monroe
Middle Tenn. St.
Tulane
Ball St.
Temple
New Mexico St.
San Jose St.
Utah St.
Akron
Rice
Buffalo
Kent St.
Eastern Mich.

dbackjon
January 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Idaho and MTSU are my two picks.

Idaho needs to go back to the Big Sky, and MTSU needs to go back to the OVC.

MTSU attendance has decreased since moving to I-A. I guess seeing the big-time programs like Troy, ULL, ULM, North Texas, etc isn't quite the attraction that the local rivals TSU, Tenn Tech, etc were.