PDA

View Full Version : Blog: Gridiron Classic Lives On - NEC #2 vs Pioneer #1?

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Is this true? I did not think the game was going to continue, especially with the Pioneer League moving forward with their quest for an automatic bid of their own.

I guess this would lend some credibility to the MEAC's wishes to put their #2 against the SWAC's #1 in a post-season 'classic', since you have another league doing it. Then again, what if the NEC's #2 team also got an invite to the playoffs?

As I understand it the NEC runnerup will play in the Gridiron Classic vs. the Pioneer League champion…

http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2010/06/30/nec-football-finally-has-automatic-bid-to-fcs-post-season/

danefan
July 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Well I doubt the NEC's 2nd is getting an at-large anytime in the next few years. And by the time its a strong enough league (if ever) to warrant an at-large, I suspect the PFL will have an AQ and the Gridiron Classic will be but a distant memory.

As far as the NEC #2 vs. PFL #1 - I think its good for the NEC #2 to get their seniors another game in their career. I don't understand why the PFL would be interested though. They should be doing everything possible to argue for the same thing the NEC #1 gets.

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why the PFL would be interested though. They should be doing everything possible to argue for the same thing the NEC #1 gets.

A post-season opportunity to play for until the league gets an automatic bid? That's all that I can think and it is a willing partner (NEC) to make that come true.

NHwildEcat
July 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Well, if the NEC's #2 were to get an at-large bid in the future they could just bump it down to the next team. If the NEC was indeed ever good enough to warrant a second member in the tourney then one would reason their #3 would more then likely be significantly improved. In all likelyhood though, this game will be gone in a few years if it does continue. One of the other conference's would have to lose their AQ for the PFL to get in the mix.

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM
It was my understanding that a conference could compete in the playoffs or a post season game (Gridiron Classic, Legacy Bowl, etc.), but not both.

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
It was my understanding that a conference could compete in the playoffs or a post season game (Gridiron Classic, Legacy Bowl, etc.), but not both.

I was pretty sure that was in reference to a team, not a conference - namely as it relates to the regular-season champion being an AQ for the playoff (remember the UCA issue a few years ago).

danefan
July 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Well, if the NEC's #2 were to get an at-large bid in the future they could just bump it down to the next team. If the NEC was indeed ever good enough to warrant a second member in the tourney then one would reason their #3 would more then likely be significantly improved. In all likelyhood though, this game will be gone in a few years if it does continue. One of the other conference's would have to lose their AQ for the PFL to get in the mix.

The PFL can easily get an AQ without another conference losing its AQ.

The playoffs can easily go to 22 teams next year actually with very limited logistical issues.

Model Citizen
July 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Why must we repeat this thread every couple of months?

And no, there will not be a Gridiron Classic this year.

NHwildEcat
July 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, you are right with another expansion they would be able to get the AQ. But if the playoffs were to stay with the new 20-team format they would have to take another conference's AQ.

danefan
July 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM

Has the PFL confirm that? Or are you just assuming that's the case?

The writer of this blog usually gets his info from inside the NEC office, so unless the PFL has confirmed it otherwise then I'd say its probably still a go.

aceinthehole
July 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM

Tony Grahm is a credible sports writer who cover Monmouth and the NEC very closely. He is not reporting it as a done deal, but this has legs.

If you think this is crazy I suggest you email him, or ask a PFL beat writer (if there are any) to address this question in a blog or newspaper article.

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM
For what it's worth - the Pioneer League web site (http://www.pioneer-football.org/gridironclassic/) does not indicate any Gridiron Classic in 2010 on their GIC page or on the schedule page nor on their release of the composite schedule (http://www.pioneer-football.org/news/default/15/502/)...

That is as close to an official source as you'll find, I guess...

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Tony Grahm is a credible sports writer who cover Monmouth and the NEC very closely. He is not reporting it as a done deal, but this has legs.

If you think this is crazy I suggest you email him, or ask a PFL beat writer (if there are any) to address this question in a blog or newspaper article.

CSN addressed the issue...and he was wrong.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70038-CSN-Gridiron-Classic-Comes-to-Close-Pioneer-Continues-Pursuit-of-AQ

401ks
July 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
CSN addressed the issue...and he was wrong.

Thank goodness!

aceinthehole
October 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Albany's AD was just interviewed live on MSG+ during halftime of the CCSU/UA game and he said "2 NEC teams will make the post season" and that the "Gridiron classic is still in effect.

Where is the PFL source that says otherwise?

WestCoastAggie
October 22nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Glad to see the Gridiron Classic still going, rewarding teams with a chance at some sort of post season play.

udchuck
October 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO --- That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Maybe the PFL will send VALPO or the 2nd last place team to play the 2nd place NEC team. THAT WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY.

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Where is the PFL source that says otherwise?

Would like to know more...

I believe it was the Pioneer League SID that denied the Gridion Classic's existence moving forward. Wonder if this deal came to fruition recently?

The article says...

"According to PFL spokesperson Cody Bush, the game was not renewed after the NEC acquired an automatic bid for its champion to compete for the NCAA Division I Football Championship. "

That's a pretty good source!

danefan
October 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Would like to know more...

I believe it was the Pioneer League SID that denied the Gridion Classic's existence moving forward. Wonder if this deal came to fruition recently?

The article says...

"According to PFL spokesperson Cody Bush, the game was not renewed after the NEC acquired an automatic bid for its champion to compete for the NCAA Division I Football Championship. "

That's a pretty good source!

Perhaps it was at the time, but I'm pretty sure McElroy isn't going to spout off on national TV about something he's not sure about either......so someone better tell the PFL or else the NEC runner-up is going to be playing an intrasquad scrimmage.

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Perhaps it was at the time, but I'm pretty sure McElroy isn't going to spout off on national TV about something he's not sure about either......so someone better tell the PFL or else the NEC runner-up is going to be playing an intrasquad scrimmage.

I'm sure - but the source was a pretty legitimate one.

And things could change - guessing it has. I'd be curious to the backstory. Did the NEC approach the Pioneer? Or did the non-scholarship league in wake of realizing that they got rejected in their attempt to get an AQ wanted to give their team(s) something...

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Okay... what's the word?

The Pioneer League SID said no earlier this summer and Albany's AD said yes. What's the deal?

Guess the source that was pretty legitimate was right. No mention on Dayton or Jacksonville's site...