PDA

View Full Version : Former Tribe QB waived by Vikings

jmufan999
June 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
The Minnesota Vikings waived former W&M QB R.J. Archer.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/97412984.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKUUs

as a vikings fan, i can tell you... he could have had a chance at possibly making the team if not for QB Joe Webb.

Webb, the former QB from UAB, was drafted as a WR. He worked at the Senior Bowl and combine as a WR. He impressed the coaching staff and was permanently moved to QB. if Webb would have stayed as a WR, then Archer could have been a younger and far cheaper #3 QB than Sage Rosenfels that they could have developed (Rosenfels will be cut at some point during camp, his contract is not something another team would trade for). It was just bad luck for R.J., really.

Anyway, I hope his luck turns around and he catches on somewhere.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Viking coaches are really high on Webb, who aparantly has come out of no where to be talked about for the 3rd spot behind Favre and Tavaris Jackson.

Can't wait to see him vs. Tarvaris pre-season...I hope they can get some comparable reps.

I know Tarvaris is making slow progress every year (and being under Favre can't hurt), but if he doesn't have a strong showing either this year (heaven forbid Favre doesn't come back or gets hurt) then I wouldn't mind seeing what Webb can do.

jmufan999
June 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Viking coaches are really high on Webb, who aparantly has come out of no where to be talked about for the 3rd spot behind Favre and Tavaris Jackson.

Can't wait to see him vs. Tarvaris pre-season...I hope they can get some comparable reps.

I know Tarvaris is making slow progress every year (and being under Favre can't hurt), but if he doesn't have a strong showing either this year (heaven forbid Favre doesn't come back or gets hurt) then I wouldn't mind seeing what Webb can do.

absolutely. Tarvaris is not as bad as his reputation... but on the other hand, his reputation is pretty bad so all he has to do is be decent and he's better by comparison. :) my problem with Tarvaris is NOT his decision making, which is usually sound. his athleticism would put him in the top 7 QB's in the league, his arm strength would be top 5. the PROBLEM is his accuracy. he can't hit the broad side of a barn. he's basically Mike Vick but without the ridiculous speed and character concerns. He's quick, but he's not Vick-quick.

just remembered this... in mop-up duty last year, T-Jack had a few games where he used a Favre-like hard count and got a free play. he has NEVER, EVER done that before last year. his voice even sounded closer to Favre's. so it does seem like he's learning something under the Grey Fox.