PDA

View Full Version : Who has the old turf still??

TheBisonator
June 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I mean, the old-style AstroTurf?? There can't be many schools left in the NCAA that have this stuff besides NDSU, UND, South Dakota and Idaho State. I know that Northern Arizona, Northern Michigan and Northern Iowa all have the new stuff. Other teams with domes that have the new stuff are Idaho, Tulane and Syracuse. I think there might only be 4 schools left. If anyone wants to do further research, let me know.

Who will be the last school remaining with it?? Someone said on this board (I think) not too long ago that UND will be installing new turf in their stadium soon. Is Idaho State going to replace their stuff??

I'm just curious. It would suck if NDSU was the last school with the old stuff.

Torgo
June 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I imagine it'll be Idaho State being the last standing, changing after five guys break their necks. Worst ****ing field ever.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2010, 11:12 PM
My dream is to see a new 25k outdoor, football stadium built where the R lot is currently. Something like a scaled down version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium_%E2%80%93_Summa_Field

lionsrking2
June 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM
South Dakota still had it when we played there this past season.

NoCoDanny
June 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Zubaz just hit in North Dakota so it might be 20 years before the air plane hangar gets field turf.

darell1976
June 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Zubaz just hit in North Dakota so it might be 20 years before the air plane hangar gets field turf.

20 years North Dakota will be retire the airplane hanger and go back to Memorial Stadium...I hope!

MplsBison
June 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
20 years North Dakota will be retire the airplane hanger and go back to Memorial Stadium...I hope!

The Alerus has been pretty kind to the UND football program, or am I wrong?

Fargodome is probably the best dome in the FCS, but it has never hosted a home playoff game xsmhx

I think building a new outdoor stadium is something that should be done in the next 20 years at NDSU.

darell1976
June 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
The Alerus has been pretty kind to the UND football program, or am I wrong?

Fargodome is probably the best dome in the FCS, but it has never hosted a home playoff game xsmhx

I think building a new outdoor stadium is something that should be done in the next 20 years at NDSU.

As far as winning yes the Alerus has been kind, attendance not so kind. I think Memorial had more of a football attitude then the Alerus. Plus the only game on tv before 2001 when UND opened the Alerus was the UND-NDSU game once a year. Now with Fox College Sports and the Fighting Sioux Sports Network you can skip the parking fees and expensive tickets and enjoy the game at home. NDSU is the only dome other than UND's that I have been too(not including the Metrodome), and its nice, I don't like how steep the incline when walking up to your seats. As for a new building in 20yrs for NDSU...they need it bigger and think more parking, but don't put it away from the campus...also a plus for NDSU is location...UND's is in a bad spot...in the middle of nowhere and as the UNC fan said it does look like an airplane hanger.

bjtheflamesfan
June 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I know Liberty had the stuff until 2006...I played a flag football tournament on it spring of 06 and it felt like we were playing on shag carpeting...its no wonder somebody didnt tear an ACL making a cut on the stuff...it is something to see teams that still play on AstroTurf though...its like a bridge to a bygone era in football and in field technology

Uncle Rico's Clan
June 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I imagine it'll be Idaho State being the last standing, changing after five guys break their necks. Worst ****ing field ever.

I seem to recall hearing that Idaho State is going to replace their astro turf either this year or next. I thought I heard that the 2009 game in Holt arena would be the last that the Griz would have to worry about playing on that rug.

JBB
June 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
My dream is to see a new 25k outdoor, football stadium built where the R lot is currently. Something like a scaled down version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium_%E2%80%93_Summa_Field

That stadium would be perfect for Fargo. Its 30,000 seats and I think thats what Fargo needs. Boise has just over 30,000.

Replacing the turf in the Fabulous Fargo Dome might be one of the reasons to build the new stadium? Something has to be done soon even if it means turn around time for the Dome is going to be slower. Those pads would work but it takes a long time to put them down and take them up.

SumItUp
June 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I know Liberty had the stuff until 2006...I played a flag football tournament on it spring of 06 and it felt like we were playing on shag carpeting...its no wonder somebody didnt tear an ACL making a cut on the stuff...it is something to see teams that still play on AstroTurf though...its like a bridge to a bygone era in football and in field technology

-Liberty never had Astroturf. In 2006, FieldTurf was installed to replace the previous surface, which was 2nd generation turf technology.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Does Idaho State play in the Kibbe Dome? Did I dream that?

darell1976
June 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Does Idaho State play in the Kibbe Dome? Did I dream that?

U of Idaho does. Idaho State plays in Holt Arena.

EllaGrassoBlvd
June 28th, 2010, 02:08 AM
While at CCSU circa 2005 we played a Thursday night game at now defunct St. Peter's college in Jersey City and they had the old rug astroturf. They didn't have their own facilities and the field we played on actually belonged to a local parks and recreation department for the city.

UMaine used to have that old turf as well but it's recently been replaced. I can't think of any other schools in the northeast that have the old astroturf.

Another interesting note is that I believe Southern CT State U was allowed to install blue field turf not too long ago. They are division II. I was surprised at this because I was led to believe that after Boise State the NCAA had put a damper on coloring any new fields however that might have been only for Division I.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
While at CCSU circa 2005 we played a Thursday night game at now defunct St. Peter's college in Jersey City and they had the old rug astroturf. They didn't have their own facilities and the field we played on actually belonged to a local parks and recreation department for the city.

UMaine used to have that old turf as well but it's recently been replaced. I can't think of any other schools in the northeast that have the old astroturf.

Another interesting note is that I believe Southern CT State U was allowed to install blue field turf not too long ago. They are division II. I was surprised at this because I was led to believe that after Boise State the NCAA had put a damper on coloring any new fields however that might have been only for Division I.

I think Eastern Washington is installing red fieldturf for this season, they're DI FCS.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
That stadium would be perfect for Fargo. Its 30,000 seats and I think thats what Fargo needs. Boise has just over 30,000.

Replacing the turf in the Fabulous Fargo Dome might be one of the reasons to build the new stadium? Something has to be done soon even if it means turn around time for the Dome is going to be slower. Those pads would work but it takes a long time to put them down and take them up.

I think it'll have to stay a dream for now. Too much invested in the Fargodome for the mid to long term.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM

I don't recall anything about SCSU getting a blue turf. A couple of pictures I saw of their football team had a green field in the background. But in the next town over, West Haven, the University of New Haven, also D-II, installed a blue turf.

EllaGrassoBlvd
June 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I think Eastern Washington is installing red fieldturf for this season, they're DI FCS.

Interesting. Does anyone know what the policy is? Maybe it only applies to FBS (IA) but I am pretty certain that the NCAA was supposed to put an end to programs that were trying to install field turn in any color other then green

darell1976
June 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Sept. 18th against Montana will be the Red Turf debut. I guess UND and NDSU has their green turf.xlolx

EllaGrassoBlvd
June 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I don't recall anything about SCSU getting a blue turf. A couple of pictures I saw of their football team had a green field in the background. But in the next town over, West Haven, the University of New Haven, also D-II, installed a blue turf.

You are correct... I was mistaken. It's the other UNH (New Haven) that was putting in the blue turf at the same time they decided to revive their football program. Thanks for that... Good call

Silenoz
June 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Interesting. Does anyone know what the policy is? Maybe it only applies to FBS (IA) but I am pretty certain that the NCAA was supposed to put an end to programs that were trying to install field turn in any color other then green

I don't think there is actually any policy for turf color

W.DeMontague
June 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I know Lewis & Clark (Division III) in Portland, OR still uses the old stuff.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rk7tzm4s9kdw&scene=5583364&lvl=2&sty=b&where1=Lewis%20%26%20Clark%20College%2C%20OR

There's a lot of schools at the NCAA Division III level who still use the old stuff. Academics are a top priority at the Division III level so their athletic upgrades tend to lag behind.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think there is actually any policy for turf color

I think you're correct. Everything I've read says that it's a myth that the NCAA banned color turfs.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I know Lewis & Clark (Division III) in Portland, OR still uses the old stuff.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rk7tzm4s9kdw&scene=5583364&lvl=2&sty=b&where1=Lewis%20%26%20Clark%20College%2C%20OR

There's a lot of schools at the NCAA Division III level who still use the old stuff. Academics are a top priority at the Division III level so their athletic upgrades tend to lag behind.

My experience with DIII schools (the MIAC conference) is that none of them are hurting for cash. Even lowly Macalester (doesn't play MIAC in football anymore due to getting stomped year after year) has fieldturf at their stadium.

I suppose it's different in other parts of the country.

Ivytalk
June 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I miss REAL grass.:(

OL FU
June 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM

I miss it, unless the Paladins are playing at homexthumbsupx

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/furm/graphics/auto/fbtixpage.gif
Man that grass is certainly a lovely color of green:)

MplsBison
June 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Do you miss wood burning stoves too?

Some things are worth letting go.