January 8th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Article from

----------------------------
U-M's No. 2 QB leaves
Gutierrez transferring to Division I-AA Idaho State for his final year
Sunday, January 08, 2006
BY JOHN HEUSER
News Sports Reporter

Once designated as the University of Michigan's starting quarterback, Matt Gutierrez will now go elsewhere to pursue the role that never became reality for him in Ann Arbor.

Gutierrez and his father, Paul, planned to pull out of town this morning, beginning a 25-hour trek that will end in Pocatello, Idaho, where Gutierrez will play for Idaho State.

"I'm definitely not excited about leaving all my friends and all the great people I've met here,'' Gutierrez said Saturday evening.

"But I'm excited about the new opportunity. I love to play football. I'm looking forward to being able to work toward that and succeed in that way.''

Gutierrez, who has one year of college eligibility remaining, will be able to play immediately for Division I-AA Idaho State, which was 5-6 last season. Although Gutierrez declined to say whether he was promised the starting job for the Bengals, he became certain that he'd never supplant Chad Henne as Michigan's top quarterback............"

For rest of article, see link below:
M-Live (http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/113671861948550.xml&coll=2)

ThreadStopper
January 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Didn't he play at a Divison II Colorado school last season?

Sawtooth
January 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
No, but strangely enough, the quarterback at Fort Lewis College is also named Matt Gutierrez.

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM
No, but strangely enough, the quarterback at Fort Lewis College is also named Matt Gutierrez.

Sawtooth, I'd heard that ISU was returning the entire starting offense. Do you have any info on the defense? I'm really curious about this. ISU just might be the favorite in the 'Sky in '06, but there's no way I have enough info to predict that.

Sawtooth
January 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM
There are 6 starters returning on defense (7 if you count David Beverly, a starter in 2004 who redshirted to catch up on academics this year). Five transfers were signed a couple of weeks ago, including Ryan Phipps, a transfer linebacker from the University of Oregon (he'll be a sophomore, and in high school was ranked by SuperPrep among the top 50 prospects for California, and the best 10 linebackers).

It's encouraging, but it's going to take spring ball to determine where we're at.

blur2005
January 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM
This is great news for Idaho State. Gutierrez was in the mix for starting QB at Michigan back in 2004 before he hurt himself before the first game. Henne came in and never gave Gutierrez a chance to get the spot. Even if he is only going to be there for one year, this improves Idaho State in a major way, allowing it to build on its improvement during the 2005 season.

GoGuins
January 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Good Luck to Matt, it was only a matter of time. Being a Michigan fan myself, I saw great things for him when he came to UofM out of CA. That shoulder injury right before the opening game in '04 was the beginning of the end for him when Henne stepped in and had a great Fr year.

He was the PK holder all this year and saw some QB action in mop up duty

biobengal
January 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Tod, I would say that defense should be the spot we are weakest, especially on the line where ISU loses all 4 starters, actually 3, one was a part time starter. In fact, ISU will lose 5 of 8 on the two deeps. To make matters worse, we lose our Buchanon award candidate Jeff Charleston. Fortunately, the coaches made the defensive line a focus of early recruiting and inked 3 transfers. IMO, the defensive unit may not be as deep on the line but the secondary will be seasoned and much stronger with only one senior and some key additions, one was a starter last year and the other is a transfer from Oregon. If we can pick up an impact player on the line, someone consistently able to put pressure on the QB, this unit will be fine.

On offense we return all of the line including 8 of 8 two deeps; we had a couple of freshman starting on the line. Our running backs were freshman and sophomore with the rumor of a possible transfer as well. We lose only one on offense, Okeobor, who was supposed to run all over everyone last year but was dogged by injuries. In fact, we only lose 3 total from the offensive two deeps, the other two being back-up quarterbacks. Gutierez, if he starts, will have alot of support.

So, what I mean is we should be in the mix. :smiley_wi

biobengal
January 9th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Local paper on Gutierez to ISU. It sounds like he made his decision to come to Pocatello sight unseen. Wow, I hope he wasn't much of a city boy.

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2006/01/09/sports/sports01.txt

Ronbo
January 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
He comes from Concord, California. Population 121,000. Not big city, but only 30 miles from San Francisco.

wannabegaucho
January 9th, 2006, 09:15 PM
He comes from Concord, California. Population 121,000. Not big city, but only 30 miles from San Francisco.
I believe that he attended De La Salle High School in Concord. As you know, DLSHS had a 151-game winning streak from 1992 to 2004.

DLSHS has also produced Brent Barry, Jon Barry, Doug Brien, Maurice Drew, David Loverne, Aaron Taylor, Amani Toomer, and D.J. Williams.