PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: No Scholarship Offers Til Later

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Well - I guess offering eighth graders scholarships four or five years before they were to even reach the collegiate level was not a good idea.

This is a valid concern by the NCAA and one that I think is very beneficial to both the perspective student-athlete and coaches...

The Division I Recruiting and Athletics Personnel Issues Cabinet has proposed legislation to stop early verbal offers of financial aid to prospective student-athletes in all sports. The proposal is one of the first to come out of the cabinet’s comprehensive review of the recruiting model.

Some coaches in high-profile sports have extended scholarship offers to prospects as early as eighth grade, and members of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee voiced concerns about the ethics of such tactics at the 2010 NCAA Convention.

Cabinet chair Petrina Long, senior associate athletics director at UCLA, said the group heard from coaches – and prospects and their families – who felt pressured to make decisions earlier without the necessary academic qualifications or information. The media attention on such offers also pressured coaches who felt they needed to “keep up” or lose out on potentially outstanding prospects, Long said.

The proposal would prohibit verbal offers of athletically related financial aid before July 1 after a prospective student-athlete’s junior year in high school. The proposal would also require institutions have at least a five-semester or seven-quarter high school transcript on file at the institution before extending any verbal offer of aid.

http://ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/cabinet+proposes+end+to+early+verbal+offers+of+aid _06_24_10_ncaa_news

401ks
June 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
One of the best proposals that I've heard come out of the NCAA in a long time.

xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Got to give the NCAA credit..

They actually do respond to problems put out there in the media - such as all these scholarship offers to the younger and younger kids each year...

Wildcat80
June 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Some sanity!!! Now get the socal AD fired for making stupid remarks.

Hood
June 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ok, what next? NCAA is going to equally penalize all schools, regardless of size, for similar infractions? It's a mad mad world!

MR. CHICKEN
June 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM
EIGHTH GRADE QB DAVID SILLS...WHO COMMITTED TA S. CAL.........WILL PLAY FO'...RED LION CHRISTIAN ACADEMY.....DIS SCHOOL IS UNDER INVESTIAGATION FO' IMPROPRIETIES......(TRIED TA ARCHIVE DUH NEWS JOURNAL.....MAYBEAH SOMEONE MO' ADEPT.....COOD PROVIDE LINK)....ANYHOO.........SEEMS HIS OL' MAN....WHIFF DUCATS TA SPARE......(OWNS UH CONSTRUCTION CO.)........HAS BEEN BRINGIN' IN...THUG RINGERS.....FROM CHESTER, PA....AN' BEYOND......IN AN ATTEMPT TA TAKE ON DUH BIG BIRDS OF HIGHSCHOOL PIGGY......(THINK MOELLER HIGH..HIAWATHA!)..........SAD...WHEN HIGHSCHOOL...EMULATES.......CROOKED COLLEGES........:(............BRAWK!!

ps.......HEY DAVEY.........BLUEHENS MIGHT NEED UH QB.......2014....:p....DOODLE-DOO!

bkrownd
June 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Next: salary caps for coaching staffs please!

The more money has come do dominate college athletics the worst the recruiting nonsense has gotten.

In an ideal world athletic recruiting wouldn't be allowed until a student has finished his/her first year of undergrad classes with a minimum GPA. THEN you're ready to start thinking about athletics.

darell1976
June 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Next: salary caps for coaching staffs please!

The more money has come do dominate college athletics the worst the recruiting nonsense has gotten.

In an ideal world athletic recruiting wouldn't be allowed until a student has finished his/her first year of undergrad classes with a minimum GPA. THEN you're ready to start thinking about athletics.

xsmileyclapx

superman7515
June 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
For you Mr. Chicken....

8th grade quarterback David Sills of Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear, Delaware recently gave a verbal commit to coach Lane Kiffin of USC. The schools athletic department is now under investigation by the state for numerous athletic violations and could face the Delaware version of SMU's famous "Death Penalty"...

Red Lion Christian's costly crusade (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100620/SPORTS14/6200366/Red-Lion-Christian-s-costly-crusade)