PDA

View Full Version : Summit League Football

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
More tomorrow from Jeff Kolpack of the IN-FORUM, but this could be a VERY relevant story to the FCS landscape over the next few years...

The Summit League Presidents Council went outside of the box and gave the go-ahead to explore the feasibility of the conference adding football. That was just half of the promising news for the University of North Dakota.http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/282683/group/homepage/

Will see if I can dig up more...

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
SUMMIT LEAGUE FOOTBALL (and current football affiliation)
North Dakota (Great West) *
North Dakota State (MVFC)
South Dakota (Great West) !
South Dakota State (MVFC)
Southern Utah (Great West)
Western Illinois (MVFC)

* UND is not a member of the Summit League
! USD will be joining the Summit League shortly

If Summit League were to start and force Summit League membership to contest in conference contested sport.

REMAINING MISSOURI VALLEY MEMBERS
All are current members of the MVC in all sports sans Youngstown State, who is in the Horizon
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Youngstown State

REMAINING GREAT WEST MEMBERS
Both schools are members of the Big West in all sports
Cal Poly
UC-Davis

Thoughts???

If something like this were to happen, it could force UC-Davis and Cal Poly's hand(s) as it relates to FBS and translate to an overall athletic department impact on their programs.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
This will not happen. You haven't even heard NDSU's reaction to this until tomorrow, but I believe Gene Taylor will try his best to not publicly tell the Summit League to "get bent" in tomorrow's article.

Silver lining in this dark cloud: This could force the Valley's hand in bringing in NDSU and SDSU as all-sport members.

Again, this is an INCREDIBLY IDIOTIC idea, and will never go through.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
This will not happen. You haven't even heard NDSU's reaction to this until tomorrow, but I believe Gene Taylor will try his best to not publicly tell the Summit League to "get bent" in tomorrow's article.

Silver lining in this dark cloud: This could force the Valley's hand in bringing in NDSU and SDSU as all-sport members.

I am confused as to why the Presidents would suggest this...?

The league office could not have been the one to say, "let's do it." It would have had come from the Presidents and at the end of the day, the non-football ones really would not have much say in this, would they?

Are your universities (NDSU, SDSU and USD) really behind this, despite what from the outside looks really confusing?

Also - perhaps LFN or CSI can answer this - wasn't the Summit League home to a football conference? Didn't they run one out of their league office? Can't recall which....

Looking forward to the reaction. Please share when it comes out...

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I am confused as to why the Presidents would suggest this...?

The league office could not have been the one to say, "let's do it." It would have had come from the Presidents and at the end of the day, the non-football ones really would not have much say in this, would they?

Are your universities (NDSU, SDSU and USD) really behind this, despite what from the outside looks really confusing?

Also - perhaps LFN or CSI can answer this - wasn't the Summit League home to a football conference? Didn't they run one out of their league office? Can't recall which....

Looking forward to the reaction. Please share when it comes out...

NDSU is not behind it in any way, and NDSU would be against such a thing happening.

We just brought in a new president last week, so I don't think he wants to dictate athletic policy at this time. I have personally talked with Gene Taylor about this subject some time ago, and he told me it would never happen.

PantherRob82
June 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Western Illinois (MVFC)

* UND is not a member of the Summit League
! USD will be joining the Summit League shortly

If Summit League were to start and force Summit League membership to contest in conference contested sport.

Might be good for Summit members if they could grab an autobid.

REMAINING MISSOURI VALLEY MEMBERS
All are current members of the MVC in all sports sans Youngstown State, who is in the Horizon
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Youngstown State

This would give the remaining MVFC members a lot of scheduling flexibility which is both good and bad.

REMAINING GREAT WEST MEMBERS
Both schools are members of the Big West in all sports
Cal Poly
UC-Davis

Thoughts???

If something like this were to happen, it could force UC-Davis and Cal Poly's hand(s) as it relates to FBS and translate to an overall athletic department impact on their programs.

I would think this either results in the 2 schools going to the Big Sky, FBS, or dropping football.

PantherRob82
June 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Could this also be a move to try and force the MVFC's hand to add USD and UND? Not sure where that would leave SUU though...

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
I would think this either results in the 2 schools going to the Big Sky, FBS, or dropping football.

I have a hard time believing the California schools would drop football. Each has put some good money into it and the reason they are looking at the WAC as a potential resting spot is because of football.

They could've kicked football to the curb awhile back...would really be a shame if they put a fork in it now.

Could this also be a move to try and force the MVFC's hand to add USD and UND? Not sure where that would leave SUU though...

Not sure where the votes would have come from, if this was the idea...

USD is presumably a voting member at this time for decisions that impact them, but UND does not have a vote at the table and would the xDSUs really want to bring in their Dakota rivals to the MVFC?

Southern Utah would be in a world of trouble. Perhaps if the SLC changes happen, they can be a football-only member? The SLC did that before with Troy and Jacksonville State, but I do not think that's an option any longer.

UAalum72
June 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM

Not mentioned on their history page. The Gateway/MVFC office also administers the Pioneer League

FargoBison
June 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Western Illinois (MVFC)

If this happened our AD would blow a gasket, he already has a hard enough time scheduling games and he seems to finally have things set up so we can have six homes games for the majority of the next five years. Doing this destroys all his hard work and creates a whole new scheduling disaster.

FargoBison
June 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Not mentioned on their history page. The Gateway/MVFC office also administers the Pioneer League

The Mid-Con(the Summit's previous name) ran the Great West up until it decided to become in all-sports conference a few years ago.

dakotadan
June 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
In any sort of business or organization it is the administrations responsibility to look at all options. You do not want your organizaiton to miss out on any options because people weren't doing their due diligence. So in that reguard it is good that the Summit League is looking at all options. My guess is that this was brought up by Douple and the Presidents gave him the go ahead to do a little research and present it to them in the future.

That being said, I do not see NDSU, SDSU and WIU leaving the MVFC unless some major changes begin to take place in the MVFC.

The Summit could always look at pulling UND, USD, SUU along with UC Davis and Cal Poly under the Summit banner instead of the Great West banner. But with SUU making it well known that they want into the Big Sky, I don't see much payoff for the Summit in taking on the orphan known as Great West football.

Would there ever be even the slightest chance that UMKC or ORU would ever be interested in FCS football? I guess I don't really see them having interest but you never know. Maybe the Summit tells NDSU, SDSU and WIU that they can remain in the MVFC, pull the Great West football schools under the Summit banner and UMKC and/or ORU look at FCS football. (I really don't see anything coming of Summit football but now I'm just throwing out longshot ideas.)

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
A quick glance around the FCS boards, here are a few threads on the subject from impacted schools...

Bisonville (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=375954) (NDSU)
SDSUFans.com (http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?p=154639#post154639) (SDSU)

Did not see anything on the UND, USD or WIU boards just yet...

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
A quick glance around the FCS boards, here are a few threads on the subject from impacted schools...

SDSUFans.com (http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?p=154639#post154639) (SDSU)

Don't bother with the USD board. That thing is as dead as a corpse lately.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
The Summit could always look at pulling UND, USD, SUU along with UC Davis and Cal Poly under the Summit banner instead of the Great West banner. But with SUU making it well known that they want into the Big Sky, I don't see much payoff for the Summit in taking on the orphan known as Great West football.

That was a great point...

That would make sense, especially since UND and USD are set to leave the Great West for the Summit in all sports (not officially yet on UND's part), Southern Utah is already in the Summit.

UC-Davis and Cal Poly do not compete in the Great West in any other sport. They have no true allegiance to the league office.

The problem is - this does not work if the California schools leave for FBS. The league would have to be proactive in getting other schools involved and maybe they can do that?

Would there ever be even the slightest chance that UMKC or ORU would ever be interested in FCS football? I guess I don't really see them having interest but you never know. Maybe the Summit tells NDSU, SDSU and WIU that they can remain in the MVFC, pull the Great West football schools under the Summit banner and UMKC and/or ORU look at FCS football. (I really don't see anything coming of Summit football but now I'm just throwing out longshot ideas.)

Of all the schools mentioned for FCS - neither Oral Roberts or Missouri-Kansas City have been mentioned.

pcola
June 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM

It got absorbed into an existing thread.... http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showtopic=13997&pid=455222&st=60&#entry455222

NoCoDanny
June 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
All that will happen is that the Great West football entity will remame itself the Summit Football Conference, no teams will change affiliations and it will just be a marketing ploy.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
What they said. The original midwest schools now in the MVC were either independents or in the Mid-Con. NoCo Danny is right - the most likely scenario is the GWFC getting rebranded as the Summit. And for NDSU and SDSU, the move makes no sense since they're trading FCS success and history for a completely unproven conference. Yes, you'd have UND/USD for good rivalries, and the GWFC has been a powerful conference, but Cal Poly, Davis and SUU are so far flung it still seems like a weird construct.

darell1976
June 22nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I have a hard time believing the California schools would drop football. Each has put some good money into it and the reason they are looking at the WAC as a potential resting spot is because of football.

They could've kicked football to the curb awhile back...would really be a shame if they put a fork in it now.

Not sure where the votes would have come from, if this was the idea...

USD is presumably a voting member at this time for decisions that impact them, but UND does not have a vote at the table and would the xDSUs really want to bring in their Dakota rivals to the MVFC?

Southern Utah would be in a world of trouble. Perhaps if the SLC changes happen, they can be a football-only member? The SLC did that before with Troy and Jacksonville State, but I do not think that's an option any longer.

This might be the only way to get a UND-NDSU rivalry going again. I think a Summit only football benefits UND, USD and SUU since the GWFC is not a AQ Conference. So I am sure these schools are for this. Doesn't benefit the XDSU's one bit. They are already in a great conference and forcing them to switch conferences puts them against the wall. All I say for UND is sit back and watch.xpopcornx

BearsCountry
June 22nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
You think NDSU would be screaming and kicking, Western Illinois would be the one doing the most complaining. No way do they want to give up SIU, Illinois State and UNI games.

Also there is the possibility that say us and Illinois State move to FBS. That would throw a major wrinkle in the MVFC league for sure.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
You think NDSU would be screaming and kicking, Western Illinois would be the one doing the most complaining. No way do they want to give up SIU, Illinois State and UNI games.

Also there is the possibility that say us and Illinois State move to FBS. That would throw a major wrinkle in the MVFC league for sure.

If you and IlSU move FBS, most of the MVFC might be right behind you on that.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Here's Jeff Kolpack's article from today...

“I think the question is, ‘Why not?’ ” Douple said. “We have a pretty big number of schools that are sponsoring it now and we just want to look at the feasibility of whether we should or shouldn’t. The timing is right.”

Of note, WIU's President is chairing the football feasibility issue and NDSU's AD has told the MVFC that they are committed to the league and do not see that changing...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/282729/group/Sports/

jcf5445
June 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
To answer a question, the Summit League did sponsor football from 1978-1984 when they were known as the Mid-Continent Conference. It was Division II until the conference transitioned to Division I in 1982. In 1985, the 4 Mid-Con members (Eastern Illinois, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, and Western Illinois) teamed up with Illinois State and Southern Illinois from the Missouri Valley Conference to create the Gateway Football Conference. Indiana State would join the following year. Therefore, the Summit League was very instrumental in creating what is now the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Akron and Youngstown State were also football-playing members of the Mid-Con in Division II.

Personally, I don't blame them for considering adding the sport. A lot of conferences have rules in place that if at least X members sponsor a sport, then the conference itself must sponsor the sport. If the Summit League adds UND, then they will have 6 scholarship FCS teams. I would be more worried about the future of the Summit League if they didn't consider adding football.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Could teams like NDSU and others who are against a Summit League football league get kicked out of the Summit and find themselves without a conference in basketball and other sports? Or is there rules about kicking teams out for not agreeing with the president of the conference.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Could teams like NDSU and others who are against a Summit League football league get kicked out of the Summit and find themselves without a conference in basketball and other sports? Or is there rules about kicking teams out for not agreeing with the president of the conference.

The Southland did something similar, so it could happen for NDSU, SDSU, etc.

Starting on July 1, 2011 in our league - if you have a sport that competes in a league-sponsored sport, you MUST compete in the league. This is forcing UTSA to join the SLC in football OR they will be booted from the league as a whole.

The league says they did this because ULM was an all-sport (sans football) member and they did not like that relationship and did not want it with UTSA.

This does not apply to bowling or men's soccer - sports the SLC does not sponsor, but have several schools competing.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
The Southland did something similar, so it could happen for NDSU, SDSU, etc.

Starting on July 1, 2011 in our league - if you have a sport that competes in a league-sponsored sport, you MUST compete in the league. This is forcing UTSA to join the SLC in football OR they will be booted from the league as a whole.

The league says they did this because ULM was an all-sport (sans football) member and they did not like that relationship and did not want it with UTSA.

This does not apply to bowling or men's soccer - sports the SLC does not sponsor, but have several schools competing.

xeekx WOW!!! Somehow I can see Douple's mind thinking that same path, since he knows NDSU, SDSU, and some other MVFC teams are in a better place where they are now.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
xeekx WOW!!! Somehow I can see Douple's mind thinking that same path, since he knows NDSU, SDSU, and some other MVFC teams are in a better place where they are now.

Darell - here's a link to the thread discussing the UTSA situation, if you want to read up and compare - http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69624

Have we confirmed that it was truly Douple that started this? Or does this come from the non-football members? Or perhaps the football members? What is the WIU reaction, especially since it is their head honcho that is leading the study.

leatherneck177
June 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
I highly doubt that Western would ever leave the MVFC. Not with the favorable travel costs associated with the league members and instate rivals at this point. SIU, ISU, ISU blue, UNI, MSU all represent short trips for travel. Plus I'd see Western's main long term goal as becoming a full member of the MVC. (LONG TERM at this point, but has to be their goal).

The only thing that could change all this is if Illinois State and Southern Illinois really are close to moving to FBS in the next 10 years. That would be the game changer.

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
The MoValley could readily become the Summit Football conference with 1 to 2 subtractions, and two additions.

Should the Summit add UND, there will be 6 Summit League Football playing members. Currently split 3-3 between GWFC and MVFC.

If the MVFC loses YSU and IL St (who have both indicated desire to move to FBS), and MVFC replaces with UND/USD, then the MVFC has 5 Summit members, and only 4 MoValley members. Therefore, ala the A-10/CAA discussions, the MoValley should change names. Pick up the lone remaining Summit team SUU, until they get a western conference (Big West or Big Sky), at ten teams.

Just a reminder, the above scenario is only applicable if a couple of the MVFC members leave, like WKU did to open up the conference for SDSU/NDSU.

By expansion, a Summit League FB conference, plus the two CA schools, would be 8 FB schools, which is a good league size also. 9 is ideal, so I would say changes to what SDSU has would be required, otherwise SDSU is brought back kicking and screaming.

Being a midwestern school, IMHO, SDSU would be better off in a midwestern league, ala MVFC.

BUT, IF Neb-Omaha moves up, or one of the Missouri/Kansas power teams, then being a Summit football, as well as the other sports, would be a prime attraction, and leave the Summit in a great position to invite additions.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Wouldn't Wichita State be a prime moveup candidate? I don't think I've seen their name show up anywhere in this thread yet...

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Wouldn't Wichita State be a prime moveup candidate? I don't think I've seen their name show up anywhere in this thread yet...

Wichita St. would be in the MVFC as soon as they start FB. Already a MVC member.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
The MoValley could readily become the Summit Football conference with 1 to 2 subtractions, and two additions.

Should the Summit add UND, there will be 6 Summit League Football playing members. Currently split 3-3 between GWFC and MVFC.

If the MVFC loses YSU and IL St (who have both indicated desire to move to FBS), and MVFC replaces with UND/USD, then the MVFC has 5 Summit members, and only 4 MoValley members. Therefore, ala the A-10/CAA discussions, the MoValley should change names. Pick up the lone remaining Summit team SUU, until they get a western conference (Big West or Big Sky), at ten teams.

Just a reminder, the above scenario is only applicable if a couple of the MVFC members leave, like WKU did to open up the conference for SDSU/NDSU.

By expansion, a Summit League FB conference, plus the two CA schools, would be 8 FB schools, which is a good league size also. 9 is ideal, so I would say changes to what SDSU has would be required, otherwise SDSU is brought back kicking and screaming.

Being a midwestern school, IMHO, SDSU would be better off in a midwestern league, ala MVFC.

BUT, IF Neb-Omaha moves up, or one of the Missouri/Kansas power teams, then being a Summit football, as well as the other sports, would be a prime attraction, and leave the Summit in a great position to invite additions.

In any situation this puts UND, USD, and SUU in great shape to be in an AQ Conference. UND could end up in either the MVFC (with the above senario), the Big Sky if teams move up to the FBS, or this so-called Summit Football League which would have enough teams for an AQ with the Dakota 4, SUU, and WIU.

89rabbit
June 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM

It would seem to me that if by adding UND that SDSU, NDSU, and WIU could be forced to move their football programs or be kicked out of their own conference that UND might have three no votes in terms of expansion of the Summit League to include them.

I think this is more of a long term issue (think ten years from now), but I have no insider info on this topic. SDSU is very happy in the MVFC.

JBB
June 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
NDSU AD Gene Taylor was recently quoted as saying there is no interest right now in moving NDSU into and FBS affiliation. On the other hand he left the door open for such a move in the longer term.

The Summit football study is a long term proposition. They have asked for a study. Its doubtful the Summit could force members to absorb penalties for leaving other conference affiliations. That pushes the time horizon to the 10 yr time frame. That time frame is long enough to get NDSU into a position to create an FBS all sports conference affiliation if the opportunity arises.

Summit football is dream right now with a lot of obvious stumbling blocks. Its more likely the MAC would take a team or two from the MVFC and the UsDs would find their way in as replacements.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
NDSU AD Gene Taylor was recently quoted as saying there is no interest right now in moving NDSU into and FBS affiliation. On the other hand he left the door open for such a move in the longer term.

The Summit football study is a long term proposition. They have asked for a study. Its doubtful the Summit could force members to absorb penalties for leaving other conference affiliations. That pushes the time horizon to the 10 yr time frame. That time frame is long enough to get NDSU into a position to create an FBS all sports conference affiliation if the opportunity arises.

Summit football is dream right now with a lot of obvious stumbling blocks. Its more likely the MAC would take a team or two from the MVFC and the UsDs would find their way in as replacements.

Maybe UND could look at the FBS too in 10 years, of course our main obsticle is the Alerus. I don't know if they could add seating to make it 15,000+, so a renovation of Memorial Stadium would be a better option but that is way into the future. I would rather UND get into the MVFC somehow instead of a Summit Football League that may start next decade.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Wichita St. would be in the MVFC as soon as they start FB. Already a MVC member.

What this means, though, is if they start up football and two or three teams bolt to a Summit football league, WSU could fill that gap and perhaps make a MVC out of a MVFC. You have to admit it does give some breathing room.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM

Wichita State football talk? Where are they with starting up a program. It seems to come and go in waves, just like Cal State-Fullerton, who could legitimately factor into this too - IF they start football! xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Wichita State football talk? Where are they with starting up a program. It seems to come and go in waves, just like Cal State-Fullerton, who could legitimately factor into this too - IF they start football! xthumbsupx

Wichita St. would be IN as soon as they start schollie football. Starting a non-schollie no. Ramping straight to FBS, I'd envision a decision like UTSA received from the Southland.

Whether there are 7 or 9 or 15 teams in the MoValley FC, if Wichita is still a member in the MVC when they start FB, they'd be in. ODU and GA St, and Lamar all model what would happen for WSU.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
I highly doubt that Western would ever leave the MVFC. Not with the favorable travel costs associated with the league members and instate rivals at this point. SIU, ISU, ISU blue, UNI, MSU all represent short trips for travel. Plus I'd see Western's main long term goal as becoming a full member of the MVC. (LONG TERM at this point, but has to be their goal).

The only thing that could change all this is if Illinois State and Southern Illinois really are close to moving to FBS in the next 10 years. That would be the game changer.

I wouldn't against WIU as an all sport member based on location, but your other sports have a long way to go. A lot of schools would argue against you because you bring no media market.

Yote 53
June 23rd, 2010, 11:38 PM

I think this is pretty accurate. The conference is making contingency plans. The wild card here is UN-Omaha. If they moved up and were in the Summit the Summit could sponsor a conference like this:

Summit Football
USD
UND
SUU
SDSU
NDSU
WIU
UNO
UC-Davis -Football only affiliate
Cal Poly - Football only affiliate

I know the MVFC schools would not be happy about leaving their current conference but this would also be one heck of a tough conference. I can understand their hesitation, however.

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I think this is pretty accurate. The conference is making contingency plans. The wild card here is UN-Omaha. If they moved up and were in the Summit the Summit could sponsor a conference like this:

Summit Football
USD
UND
SUU
SDSU
NDSU
WIU
UNO

I know the MVFC schools would not be happy about leaving their current conference but this would also be one heck of a tough conference. I can understand their hesitation, however.

This will not happen. NDSU, SDSU and WIU will fight this tooth and nail.

I can understand your being all for it, since your school just got invited into the Summit and has an unstable football conference. But I think as long as the XDSUs and WIU don't want it, they won't be forced into it.

JBB
June 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Summit Football
USD
UND
SUU
SDSU
NDSU
WIU
UNO

The 3 MVFC members mentioned would never sign on to 2 california trips and a trip to Utah. UNO to the GWC might happen though. If instability is going to be the future some existing Summit members might take a stand against admitting members pushing for big change benefiting them.

If things changed a good conference between the Summit football schools and the MVFC could be put together but that isnt it.

darell1976
June 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
This will not happen. NDSU, SDSU and WIU will fight this tooth and nail.

I can understand your being all for it, since your school just got invited into the Summit and has an unstable football conference. But I think as long as the XDSUs and WIU don't want it, they won't be forced into it.

The only reason why us UXD schools would be all for it. I think if UND was in NDSU's shoes we would be outraged at the thought of almost being forced to leave our conference for another one. I would like for the Dakota 4 to be in the same conference but not this way.

leatherneck177
June 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't against WIU as an all sport member based on location, but your other sports have a long way to go. A lot of schools would argue against you because you bring no media market.

I real key is getting basketball up to snuff, that includes massive renovations or a completely new arena. I feel that the rest of the sports and the facilities are on par with the MVC.

We do have the Quad Cities nearby, but I do not think the MVC really demands all that much of a media following. Indiana State, Evansville, Drake, etc?

Either way, Western is at best 20 years away.

PantherRob82
June 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I real key is getting basketball up to snuff, that includes massive renovations or a completely new arena. I feel that the rest of the sports and the facilities are on par with the MVC.

We do have the Quad Cities nearby, but I do not think the MVC really demands all that much of a media following. Indiana State, Evansville, Drake, etc?

Either way, Western is at best 20 years away.

Indiana State and Evansville have history, Drake has Des Moines. Can WIU really claim the Quad Cities? I live here and see more UNI merchandise than WIU.

UNI and Bradley have about as much claim to the QCs as WIU.

LakesBison
June 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM
HELL to the NO.

not gonna happen, at a recent event AD taylor was hammered with the questions and there was a definite ANTI- SUMMIT FOOTBALL.

NDSU & SDSU could get Missouri Valley to be ALL SPORTS, thus leaving the summit, then the summit can absorb the great west , thats why douple is worried as he should be.

JBB
June 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I agree with that, but we have a little way to go before the MVC would see our basketball as a "good get". Progress on the BSA would help too, but as a whole our sports are having some reasonable success. Probably by the time the Summit ever added football NDSU would be ready for another change?

darell1976
June 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Did the Summit say when they are thinking about a Football Conference and or is there a NCAA rule that says there is a set amount of time before a new conference can be added that way schools that are in more than 1 conference can discuss options.

SUUTbird
June 24th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Personally i kinda like this idea just because i feel that the summit league would be much more secure compared to the great west situation in terms of football. and i have to ask who is UNO?

UNI Pike
June 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
University of Nebraska - Omaha

darell1976
June 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Personally i kinda like this idea just because i feel that the summit league would be much more secure compared to the great west situation in terms of football. and i have to ask who is UNO?

But what if the Summit League told SUU they must leave the Missouri Valley and join the Summit in all sports or find themselves without a conference. That is what could be a reality to SUU, WIU, NDSU, and SDSU.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Not sure what impact this has on Summit League Football, but it certainly has an impact on the Summit League...IPFW would like to go elsewhere, namely the Horizon League.

The Summit League, of which IPFW has been a three-year member, will be losing Centenary after the 2010-11 season. Perennial league power Oral Roberts has been rumored to be looking elsewhere. Southern Utah has an eye on the Big Sky Conference. And South Dakota and North Dakota could be joining in-state cousins South Dakota State and North Dakota State in the Summit League within a few years.

“We’re going to see some shuffling in the future,” Bell said. “The Summit League will grow; then it may retract a little bit.”

With the Summit League expected to bulge farther west, travel expenses for all IPFW teams could be an even greater financial drain.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100708/SPORTS0305/307089975

darell1976
July 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Not sure what impact this has on Summit League Football, but it certainly has an impact on the Summit League...IPFW would like to go elsewhere, namely the Horizon League.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100708/SPORTS0305/307089975

This means North Dakota would surely fit in. With USD replacing Centenary UND would be the odd man out as far as conference members but if IPFW leaves UND would be their replacement. Welcome to the Summit League UND!!

LakesBison
July 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
*SIGH* give it up, you're the ONLY fan on your team on here, and you seem to post on every freakin NDSU thread. summit doesnt want und, and NDSU would leave in a heartbeat if a league started up.. there WILL NEVER BE SUMMIT FOOTBALL.

darell1976
July 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
*SIGH* give it up, you're the ONLY fan on your team on here, and you seem to post on every freakin NDSU thread. summit doesnt want und, and NDSU would leave in a heartbeat if a league started up.. there WILL NEVER BE SUMMIT FOOTBALL.

The Summit is visiting UND if they didn't want UND they would tell UND we decline your application but they didn't did they smart guy. You are the only one that wants no part of UND in the Summit not NDSU, and they are not going anywhere.

89rabbit
July 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM
This means North Dakota would surely fit in. With USD replacing Centenary UND would be the odd man out as far as conference members but if IPFW leaves UND would be their replacement. Welcome to the Summit League UND!!

IPFW isn't going anywhere. They finished just ahead of Centenary in the Commissioner's cup (IPFW #9, Centenary #10):

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3900&ATCLID=204956317&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=3900&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Why would the Horizon League want one of our bottom feeders?

With that said I think it is just a matter of time before UND gets an invite to join the Summit, as long as their joining doesn't effect SDSU, NDSU, and WIU's membership in the MVFC.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Finally hit the NCAA News web site..

North Dakota plays football in the Great West Conference, along with Summit members South Dakota and Southern Utah. North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Western Illinois all play in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Douple said his league is working closely with those conferences to determine what impact a Summit League decision to sponsor football would have.

Douple expects to have a decision within a year.

“We are really excited about this study,” he said. “We think we can get a lot of good questions answered.”

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/summit+league+considers+football_07_13_10_ncaa_new s&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NCAA%20News%20Direct

darell1976
July 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Finally hit the NCAA News web site..

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/summit+league+considers+football_07_13_10_ncaa_new s&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NCAA%20News%20Direct

“Right now, we have multiple teams in multiple conferences. Is that the model we want to have in 10 years?” Douple said. “It may well be after we do this study. But we really want to take a look at it.”

Doesn't sound so good for WIU, NDSU, and SDSU.

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I know I've asked before, but if a league has 6 members playing football at the same level, but not in same league, do they have to reform into the league that they play the majority of their sports in? If so, that is a major drawback in letting UND in. I really like that SDSU is in the MVFC, as Jacks are a midwestern team. However, in 5 years, when UND/USD are done with transition, a Summit football league including the 2 CA teams for a league of 8 would be a good tough league as tough to win as the MVFC. Although the 9 member MVFC with 4 home and 4 away games is a great set up for the 11 games season.

darell1976
July 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I know I've asked before, but if a league has 6 members playing football at the same level, but not in same league, do they have to reform into the league that they play the majority of their sports in? If so, that is a major drawback in letting UND in. I really like that SDSU is in the MVFC, as Jacks are a midwestern team. However, in 5 years, when UND/USD are done with transition, a Summit football league including the 2 CA teams for a league of 8 would be a good tough league as tough to win as the MVFC. Although the 9 member MVFC with 4 home and 4 away games is a great set up for the 11 games season.

We are done in 2 years.

JBB
July 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
“Right now, we have multiple teams in multiple conferences. Is that the model we want to have in 10 years?” Douple said. “It may well be after we do this study. But we really want to take a look at it.”

Doesn't sound so good for WIU, NDSU, and SDSU.

I dont think it is good or bad for those schools. It wont happen without their support so it will have to be good.

MplsBison
July 13th, 2010, 08:21 PM

But only NDSU, SDSU, UNI, WIU and SIU are truly committed to the MVFC in the mid-term.

Missouri St would leave in a heartbeat for a better/bigger, regional fit (CUSA or Sun Belt).

Youngstown St would leave in a heartbeat for a better/bigger, regional fit (MAC).

Illinois St has said it wants to move up to the FBS in the future.

Indiana St can't compete at the top of FCS, they will move to a different conference or drop football eventually.

How is that any better than NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, WIU in the Summit?

Western_101
July 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Indiana State and Evansville have history, Drake has Des Moines. Can WIU really claim the Quad Cities? I live here and see more UNI merchandise than WIU.

UNI and Bradley have about as much claim to the QCs as WIU.

Bradley does not have football and UNI is 2 1/2 hours from Illinois side of QC. WIU Macomb is 80 min from Moline. Also WIU has a campus in QC and is the only public university option actually located in QC.

http://www.wiu.edu/qc/

NDB
July 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM
how on earth did a metro area the size of the quad cities (just less than 400k) not have a public university until now...

MplsBison
July 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Iowa City is not that far from Davenport...just across I-80.

I guess Ames and Iowa City got the universities and Cedar Rapids got the teacher's college. *snicker*

CollegeSportsInfo
July 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I haven't been on the forums for some time, but I will share my thoughts on the matter. I've spoken with a few people on the topic, including Jeff Kolpack on his radio show and the idea of Summit League football is an interesting one.

But it's a house of cards.

On paper, it makes sense: you will eventually have SUU, WIU, SDSU, USD, NDSU and UND. That's 6 members. Perfect.

And you can even force NDSU and SDSU into the mix since the conference would then be sponsoring the sport.

But then you get to the real house of cards:
1) All the Summit needs to have happen is for the MVC to invite just one school, SDSU and/or NDSU as full-members, and you're down to 4-5 schools.
2) SUU remains the top candidate to replace Montana should they upgrade to FBS and join the WAC...so that would mean only 5 Summit football schools.
3) Longshot: if the Big Sky lost Montana, and then lost more schools to the WAC like Sac St or Portland St., they might be proactive and expand east with all 4 Dakota schools. Or course, it's likely that that the MVC could add NDSU and SDSU, in which case only UND and USD would be on the Big Sky radar.

So basically, if you're the Summit, and you start something, it only works if everyone is committed to remain in the conference. And you've got 6 members who all want to be in a different conference for all-sports...so there's no lock any would stay.

One boost to Summit League football sponsorship hopes is certainly the idea of Cal-Ploy and UC Davis as associate members. It at least allows the proposed league to have some protection against losing 1-2 schools since the total membership would be 8 schools.

Figure SUU to the Big Sky (to replace Montana) and NDSU/SDSU to the MVC for all-sports are about even in probability at this point. But if both happened, it means the Summit is down from 8 members to 5.

Will be interesting to see what happens with so much instability.

Apologies if other posters already covered these basics in this thread.

MplsBison
July 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Plus there's no reasonable way to include SUU's football in a conference with the Dakota 4 plus WIU. It's not fair them and it's not fair to the midwestern schools.

SUU needs to be in the Big Sky for all-sports anyway.

And I suspect MVFC would indeed add both USD and UND anyway, before the Summit could act.

Only way this works is if MVFC loses a bunch of members and the Summit schools suddenly outnumber the MVC schools. Then you're essentially just talking about a re-branding from MVFC to the Summit Football Conf, about like the A10 to the CAA.

darell1976
July 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Whatever gets UND into a AQ conference...I am all for it.

Shockerman
July 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
NDSU and SDSU will never be in the MVC with the current line up of schools. It is not even on the radar. If BU and CU leave for a midwest private school and you were able to convince MSU, ISU red and SIU to stick around, then the Dakota schools would get a sniff. Right now, there is more banter about adding Butler/SLU or a UMKC/ORU. xnutsx

I just don't think an MVC all sports league is in the cards. I think NDSU and SDSU are serious enough about basketball that both would make descent additions once they become established. It will have to be some sort of hybrid. USD could eventually make a run at a revamped MVC but UND will NEVER even come up for discussion. They are hockey first which doesn't jive with the MVC persona.

MVC

WSU
UNI
SDSU
NDSU
MSU
SIU
IlSU
ISU

CU
BU
DU
UE

However, what should happen is the following

BU, CU, DU, and UE go to a revamped Horizon

WSU leaves for a more southern based league to protect its baseball program.

The MVC becomes an all sport league with the following...

East
IiSU
ISU
SIU
WIU
MSU
WKU (Because FBS isn't all its cracked up to be)

West
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
UNI
*New move up (Minnesota State?)

The bottom line is that the Dakota schools future is in the Summit. ISU red would never go for the above conference which would cause MSU and SIU to balk.

Basically, I have no idea what I am talking about and anything could happen.

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Personally, I hope the Summit Football League does come to fruition with at least 6 teams. This way the MEAC would have a chance to regain a AQ if the Legacy Bowl does not work.

BearsCountry
July 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
The bottom line for NDSU and SDSU is start to ramp up basketball big time.

Big Al
July 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Iowa City is not that far from Davenport...just across I-80.

I guess Ames and Iowa City got the universities and Cedar Rapids got the teacher's college. *snicker*

Now we know why nobody knows where the f#(k Fargo is -- they don't teach geography up there.

MplsBison
July 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Now we know why nobody knows where the f#(k Fargo is -- they don't teach geography up there.

The sad thing is, as soon as I typed Rapids I thought to myself "is that the right Cedar?" and immediately looked it up. When I saw that Rapids was the big city, not the one with UNI, I felt smart for taking the time to look it up.

But I guess I never then went back and actually changed it in the message. xlolx

JSUBison
July 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
The bottom line for NDSU and SDSU is start to ramp up basketball big time.

NDSU is expecting an announcement soon concerning the upgrade of the BB facillities. 30 million project I think???

Twentysix
July 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Administrative/Basketball Practice Facility Phase ($13.2 million): Basketball Practice Court Addition, Men's and Women's Basketball Complex (team meeting rooms and video centers, individual player locker areas), New Complex Entry and Ticket Office, Bison Hall of Fame, Athletic Staff Offices.

Student-Athlete Well Being Phase ($10.3 million):
Student-Athlete Academic Center (individual and group study areas, computer laboratories, tutoring staff offices), Student-Athlete Commons Area, Strength Training Facilities, Sports Medicine Center, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Center, Individual Locker and Meeting Rooms (baseball, men's and women's track and field/cross country, men's and women's golf, soccer, softball, wrestling).

Competition Phase ($5.6 million):
Basketball Competition Arena (suites, approximately seating for 5,700, club level meeting space, enhanced concessions and vendor area, state of the art technology).

Indoor Track Competition Facility ($5 million):
200 meter eight lane competition track, men's and women's track locker and meeting rooms, baseball and softball batting cages, indoor golf practice facility, spectator seating.

-----
Copied from Kermit of bisonville.

Twentysix
July 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Im not sure wether this includes the Sanford money. It may or may not.

MplsBison
July 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Has to. We don't have the kind of cash in the war chest.

Gil Dobie
July 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds like they don't teach geography down in Iowa if you don't know where Fargo is. ;)

Western_101
July 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
The sad thing is, as soon as I typed Rapids I thought to myself "is that the right Cedar?" and immediately looked it up. When I saw that Rapids was the big city, not the one with UNI, I felt smart for taking the time to look it up.

But I guess I never then went back and actually changed it in the message. xlolx

Yeah, I noticed that too. One would think that a poster that has about 10,000 posts over a few boards wouldn't have to look up the name of the city that UNI is located in?

I can see a typo, but when you admitted that you had to look it up?xwhistlex

MplsBison
July 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have to admit, I really don't care to know that much about the state of Iowa. No real good reason to.

I know they make a lot of corn...which is then made into high-fructose corn syrup to be used as a cheap sweetener and as a cheap feed to livestock, which is not their natural diet. ...great, thanks?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100717/SPORTS06/7170335/1004/SPORTS/Summit-League-considers-adding-football

The Summit League is considering adding football, a move that potentially could lead to conference expansion.

The idea is in the preliminary stages as the conference, which includes IUPUI and IPFW, begins studying the feasibility of making football its 14th sport.

"We just feel it's healthy to look at where we want to be as a league in 10 years," Summit League commissioner Tom Douple said. "This is a long-term look related to strategic planning."

While neither IUPUI nor IPFW is considering adding football, the league has four football-playing members, with another set to join in fall 2011.

All five of those schools currently play football in other leagues at the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) level. At least six schools must play together for two years in a league for that league to receive an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs.

TheBisonator
July 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
NDSU and SDSU will not leave an AQ football conference for one that will not have one for at least two years.

Plus, you have to factor in the fact that the XDSU's already have a relationship with the MVC in football that would be broken if this happens.

JBB
July 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
You have to show the existing schools some advantage. The MVFC schools arent taking on an extra 3 or 4 game OOC scheduling burden without some payoff.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Was thinking about this a bit more. On the surface, this doesn't seem like such a hot idea, but when you stop to think about some of the possible twists and turns in the WAC/Big Sky sagas, perhaps this starts to make a bit more sense.

Poly and Davis have been bandied about by the WAC as possible future members. If they leave, the GWFC (currently administered by the Summit) will be down to three members and without football. However, if you sponsor Summit football and require your affiliates in the MVFC to join in football, you have a viable conference once again whether Poly and Davis leave or not.

When adding the Big Sky to the mix things get even more interesting. Montana is thinking about WAC football at the very least, and Sac State is another possibility. If Sac State goes, might they go after Poly and Davis if they don't go to the WAC?

You could make a compelling re-alignment of all three conferences to become a bit more geography-friendly as well:

Summit
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU
Drake

Missouri Valley
Illinois State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Indiana State
Missouri State
Youngstown State
Wichita State
Cleveland State
Butler

Big Sky
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Weber State
Portland State
Idaho State
Sacramento State
Cal State-Fullerton
Pacific

Great West
Cal Poly
UC-Davis
Southern Utah
San Diego
Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona

I know the scenarios are perhaps a bit far-fetched, but it needn't be a disaster for all the conferences involved. The MVFC picks up a big name (but a small football program), the Summit becomes a tough football conference (and picks up Drake in the process in order to secure an autobid), the Great West gains an autobid and survives with a more Western-centric focus (perhaps ceding day-to-day operations to the Big West), and the Big Sky picks up two possible start-ups that could be powers at the FCS level. Certainly the MVFC loses the most, but - perhaps - the gain of Cleveland State and Butler would seriously mitigate that loss.

Even the PFL would lose that costly San Diego trip every year.

I'm not saying that this will happen, but scenarios like this could be viable.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
NDSU and SDSU will not leave an AQ football conference for one that will not have one for at least two years.

Plus, you have to factor in the fact that the XDSU's already have a relationship with the MVC in football that would be broken if this happens.

But I think they would consider a re-branding of the MVFC into the Summit FC if some of the current non-Summit MVFC members left.

coover
July 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
if the Big Sky lost Montana, and then lost more schools to the WAC

Ain't gonna happen! Montana has made an almost permanent decision to be the "big fish" in the little bowl. They can't raise their ticket prices much and 25000 spectators at an FCS game will pay almost as much as 25000 spectators in an FBS game. FBS raises costs (scholarships, travel, Coaches salaries, etc.) to play football ... their decision is that going FBS would cost them money.

And besides, they already get just about all the FBS skilled players in Montana already, what gain will going FBS do skill wise?

89rabbit
July 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Was thinking about this a bit more. On the surface, this doesn't seem like such a hot idea, but when you stop to think about some of the possible twists and turns in the WAC/Big Sky sagas, perhaps this starts to make a bit more sense.

Poly and Davis have been bandied about by the WAC as possible future members. If they leave, the GWFC (currently administered by the Summit) will be down to three members and without football.

The Summit League no longer administers the GWFC. When the Great West became an all sport conference it took it's football league with it.

http://www.greatwestconference.org/about-gwfc/gwfc-about-gwfc.html

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
This issue needs to be *bumped* especially if Southern Utah is looking at moving to the Big Sky for all sports. That's one less school involved in Summit League football and one of the three schools (South Dakota and North Dakota - well if the Sioux get in there) that would really need a league to call their own for football...

Thoughts?

darell1976
September 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Could make for an interesting year if there are talks of a SFL, unless they just merge the GWFC and MVFC and call it a Summit division.

Summit Division
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
WIU

MV Division
UNI
IL St
IN St
YSU
MSU
SIU

JBB
September 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
That would be a nice conference.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 10:42 PM

That would be horribly unbalanced. A bunch of newly transitioned schools in one division, and nearly all of the traditional powers in the other.

There is only one school (WIU) that owns a single playoff win in that first division.

Lamar Cardinals 2010
September 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM
If this happens this will be great news for NDSU and SDSU. Summit=WAC, MVC=MWC. If the Summit messes with the MVC, they'll just add NDSU and SDSU as full members then the Summit would have UND, USD, SUU, WIU. Which isn't a conference and would have to add CP & UCD. WIU and the Summit get boned in this scenario.

darell1976
September 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM
That would be horribly unbalanced. A bunch of newly transitioned schools in one division, and nearly all of the traditional powers in the other.

There is only one school (WIU) that owns a single playoff win in that first division.

I just put them in there due to their affiliation to the Summit League or else I would replace WIU with UNI and have a revised version of the old North Central Conference.

SUUTbird
September 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have to say i would be more then happy to support this conference. One it would be pretty competitive and for once SUU would be in a stable conference, or to state it better a much more stable conference then they are in right now.

JBB
September 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM

That's kind of short ranged isn't it? Transition is a temporary condition.

It doesn't happen if the MVFC is opposed or it will be detrimental to The Mighty Land Grants. A conference must vote on these issues.

TexasTerror
May 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
A post from Jack of BobcatReport (http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1156&p=14384#p14384) re: Summit League football... is this all coming to a head shortly?

The Big Sky's buyout is a million dollars, non-negotiable. That scared a couple of candidates away from even inquiring.

A school in the West (I guess) that is not in the Big Sky is the University of South Dakota. They were on the verge of being team #14 in the Big Sky and pulled their candidacy October 27th, and the Big Sky added Southern Utah and North Dakota. USD instead joined the Missouri Valley Football Conference, who has area schools North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

Other members of the MVAC are Missouri State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Youngstown State, and $500,000 is their buyout. Now you might ask, what is the point here? The MVAC is a great FCS conference with annual multiple bids.

The Summit League is looking at becoming a football conference and that's where the non-football teams for South Dakota are headed, alongside North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Western Illinois already. You may have heard about this from ESPN, who has the incredibly sad story of Nebraska-Omaha dropping football (and a championship wrestling team) under former Cornhusker Trev Alberts' leadership to join the Summit with South Dakota in 2012. Western Kentucky left them just a few years ago for the Belt.

What if the Summit required those four to join for football? The findings should be out any day now and there will have to be a vote. A couple of these schools might not want to leave a multi-bid conference to have to play with a bunch of startups. Two of these teams I am talking about made the FCS playoffs last year, NDSU and WIU, and after all, Fargo is the "Gateway to the West".

What if the MVAC, down to six teams by the Summit's decision, decided to expand with schools not to the liking of that big shiny name that I know you saw a few paragraphs back? Maybe it's time for them to be a national name and jump past Iowa State in football.

There's still some options out there - it just takes some digging to get to them.

TheBisonator
May 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM
A post from Jack of BobcatReport (http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1156&p=14384#p14384) re: Summit League football... is this all coming to a head shortly?

4 team football conferences are fun, aren't they??

The quote you posted was pure unadulterated bullcrap. And I honestly don't know how much a Texas State fan would know about the MVFC/Summit.

I usually like your posts TT, which is why I'm confused as to why you posted a link to such BS.

The internet is a great tool, and it's a great place to learn things and get information, unfortunately it's also the biggest source of BS on the planet.

darell1976
May 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
4 team football conferences are fun, aren't they??

The quote you posted was pure unadulterated bullcrap. And I honestly don't know how much a Texas State fan would know about the MVFC/Summit.

I usually like your posts TT, which is why I'm confused as to why you posted a link to such BS.

Unless UNO started up again then you have 5 teams. I agree SFL will never get off the ground unless the Big Sky 2014 plan to go to the FBS goes through then the rest merges with the Summit 4. So you would have the Summit 4 (NDSU, SDSU, WIU, USD,) with whatever BSC teams don't move up (with current facilities that would be all but Montana, UNA, PSU, Sac St, Weber St. all at or above 15,000).

JSUBison
May 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Bobcatreport isn't Lehigh Football Nation by any stretch of the imagination, that's for sure. The only way I could stomach the thought of Summit League football is if at least 4 of these schools started football: Oakland, Oral Roberts, IUPUI, IPFW, UMKC, UNO. Even then, I would hate to leave the Missouri Valley, and wouldn't want to see it weakened/destabilized.

Actually, each of those schools are in large metro areas, funny that none of them have made a run at football yet. Aside from UNO anyway.

FargoBison
May 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
The idea of Summit League football is dead and has been for some time. All the Summit schools in the MVFC have wanted nothing to do with it from that start.

Honestly this seems like the fourth or fifth time I've said this on AGS.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Again, this is an INCREDIBLY IDIOTIC idea, and will never go through.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. :D

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Could make for an interesting year if there are talks of a SFL, unless they just merge the GWFC and MVFC and call it a Summit division.

Summit Division
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
WIU

MV Division
UNI
IL St
IN St
YSU
MSU
SIU

Trolololololololo

Jason Svoboda
April 13th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Going to guess the bump was based on this article?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-legislation-poised-to-change-college-football-bundled-like-a-congressional-bill/

FCS powerhouse

It has been speculated that in the middle of the current basketball realignment, the FCS equivalent of a Power Five league could emerge. The basketball-only Summit League has four basketball members that have a split football membership in the Missouri Valley -- Western Illinois, South Dakota State, South Dakota and North Dakota State.

Both the Summit (membership here) and the Valley (basketball membership) are likely to be impacted in basketball realignment with Wichita State’s move to the American. But the Valley is one of the best FCS conferences in the country. Valley football member North Dakota State has won five FCS national titles since 2011.

What’s to keep the Summit from deciding to sponsor football and the raid the Valley to become more well-rounded? Same for the Valley which could take the three Dakota schools from the Summit (North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State) and expand to 12 in hoops?

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Going to guess the bump was based on this article?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-legislation-poised-to-change-college-football-bundled-like-a-congressional-bill/

FCS powerhouse

It has been speculated that in the middle of the current basketball realignment, the FCS equivalent of a Power Five league could emerge. The basketball-only Summit League has four basketball members that have a split football membership in the Missouri Valley -- Western Illinois, South Dakota State, South Dakota and North Dakota State.

Both the Summit (membership here) and the Valley (basketball membership) are likely to be impacted in basketball realignment with Wichita State’s move to the American. But the Valley is one of the best FCS conferences in the country. Valley football member North Dakota State has won five FCS national titles since 2011.

What’s to keep the Summit from deciding to sponsor football and the raid the Valley to become more well-rounded? Same for the Valley which could take the three Dakota schools from the Summit (North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State) and expand to 12 in hoops?

Nope....i saw it in a similar threads suggestion when I was perusing my Summit League Hockey smack thread. xlolx. I've been advocating for SLF for awhile now. :D

Jason Svoboda
April 13th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Nope....i saw it in a similar threads suggestion when I was perusing my Summit League Hockey smack thread. xlolx. I've been advocating for SLF for awhile now. :DHonestly, since you guys are unlikely to get consideration for the Valley, if I were the NDSU brass, I'd probably ask the Summit to look into it. My guess is you could also raid a couple of the Big Sky powerhouses and have an even more powerful conference than the MVFC is.

A WSU member over at MVCFans said he heard a second Valley team is looking to leave. Things could get dicey.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Honestly, since you guys are unlikely to get consideration for the Valley, if I were the NDSU brass, I'd probably ask the Summit to look into it. My guess is you could also raid a couple of the Big Sky powerhouses and have an even more powerful conference than the MVFC is.

A WSU member over at MVCFans said he heard a second Valley team is looking to leave. Things could get dicey.

Not going to get much argument from me. I want a DI "all sports" league. I've built it on here before....might have to go dig it up again.

Jason Svoboda
April 13th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Not going to get much argument from me. I want a DI "all sports" league. I've built it on here before....might have to go dig it up again.As an Indiana State fan, I've long advocated for the same thing. We have no business fighting with private schools that won't sponsor football. They just dump that extra money into hoops and create an uneven playing field.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 02:01 PM
As an Indiana State fan, I've long advocated for the same thing. We have no business fighting with private schools that won't sponsor football. They just dump that extra money into hoops and create an uneven playing field.

....and they still can't win sans non-football WSU.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I'm waiting for IBY to come in here with his anti-UND boner to beg for MVC inclusion. xlolx

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 02:15 PM
As an Indiana State fan, I've long advocated for the same thing. We have no business fighting with private schools that won't sponsor football. They just dump that extra money into hoops and create an uneven playing field.

By the way, Dodd is actually wrong in that article. The Summit now has 5 football playing members when you add the 4th Dakota school. The math keeps creeping closer.

kdinva
April 13th, 2017, 02:25 PM
We have no business fighting with private schools that won't sponsor football. They just dump that extra money into hoops and create an uneven playing field.

See UNC-G; Radford; UNC-A; Winthrop, High Point

SDFS
April 13th, 2017, 07:33 PM
By the way, Dodd is actually wrong in that article. The Summit now has 5 football playing members when you add the 4th Dakota school. The math keeps creeping closer.

Add UNC a travel partner for Denver
Omaha and WIU travel partners

then add:
UMKC travel partner for ORU

or just punt ORU!?!?!

mmiller_34
April 13th, 2017, 07:42 PM

I registered a username over there after I saw Lakes trying to "sell" NDSU (as if he has anything to do it with). A few things came up that I learned.

1. No Dakota school will ever be in the almighty Valley
2. Most posters have a very inaccurate idea of what the Dakota schools are really about.
3. Also, SDSU has a dome

I was going to go try and clear up some misconceptions.. and then.. I didn't. Because, I realized it was a lost cause. It appears posters over there would rather have their schools run into the ground before they ever join the Dakotas in basketball.

I hope the MVC adds UMKC, UIC, and Murray State. I will be LAUGHING so, so hard.

GodHelpTheBears
April 13th, 2017, 07:59 PM
A "Summit" (i.e. upper midwestern FCS) football conference makes a lot of sense at this point. Pound for pound, it would be the toughest league at this level, and would surpass several FBS conferences in quality.

If it came to pass, I would expect us to be sucked into that conference somehow. The name doesn't really matter to me, our program is what it is and the XDSUs, UNI, etc. will beat us like a drum no matter what the conference we are all in is called. I wish there were more FCS programs in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas, but that situation won't change any time soon, and we won't cut football (though it would be a decision with more pros than cons).

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 09:16 PM
I registered a username over there after I saw Lakes trying to "sell" NDSU (as if he has anything to do it with). A few things came up that I learned.

1. No Dakota school will ever be in the almighty Valley
2. Most posters have a very inaccurate idea of what the Dakota schools are really about.
3. Also, SDSU has a dome

I was going to go try and clear up some misconceptions.. and then.. I didn't. Because, I realized it was a lost cause. It appears posters over there would rather have their schools run into the ground before they ever join the Dakotas in basketball.

I hope the MVC adds UMKC, UIC, and Murray State. I will be LAUGHING so, so hard.

Ditto....and it is exactly what is going to happen.

#mediamarkets

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 09:17 PM
A "Summit" (i.e. upper midwestern FCS) football conference makes a lot of sense at this point. Pound for pound, it would be the toughest league at this level, and would surpass several FBS conferences in quality.

If it came to pass, I would expect us to be sucked into that conference somehow. The name doesn't really matter to me, our program is what it is and the XDSUs, UNI, etc. will beat us like a drum no matter what the conference we are all in is called. I wish there were more FCS programs in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas, but that situation won't change any time soon, and we won't cut football (though it would be a decision with more pros than cons).

Make the move to the Sunbelt. It would be lateral in competition.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Add UNC a travel partner for Denver
Omaha and WIU travel partners

then add:
UMKC travel partner for ORU

or just punt ORU!?!?!

UMKC is a joke.....and they are going to the MVC.

GodHelpTheBears
April 13th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Make the move to the Sunbelt. It would be lateral in competition.

That's not an option - deep state budget cuts, no big donors and no political will to move there.

Jason Svoboda
April 14th, 2017, 10:56 AM
UMKC is a joke.....and they are going to the MVC.No, they're not. The Valley wants to tighten the footprint, not expand it. From some folks inside the situation, it's still Valpo and Murray State as the heavy favorites.

GodHelpTheBears
April 14th, 2017, 11:31 AM
No, they're not. The Valley wants to tighten the footprint, not expand it. From some folks inside the situation, it's still Valpo and Murray State as the heavy favorites.

Oh, so we're getting kicked out! Cool, let me hop on the Southland thread

Jason Svoboda
April 14th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Oh, so we're getting kicked out! Cool, let me hop on the Southland threadObviously I'm talking new additions. It's Friday, crack a beer and relax, slappy.

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Obviously I'm talking new additions. It's Friday, crack a beer and relax, slappy.

The allure of media markets will be too much.

GodHelpTheBears
April 14th, 2017, 11:59 AM
crack a beer

Way ahead of ya my dude

Thumper 76
April 14th, 2017, 05:16 PM
The allure of media markets will be too much.
If they haven't figured out that media markets only matter if your a P5 conference with your own network then they deserve to fall apart.

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 06:11 PM
If they haven't figured out that media markets only matter if your a P5 conference with your own network then they deserve to fall apart.

Two words.....Loyola...Chicago....Bus

Oh, and *you're :D

citdog
April 14th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Two words.....Loyola...Chicago....Bus

Oh, and *you're :D

http://i.imgur.com/HKtQGF9.gif

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 06:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HKtQGF9.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/G86tWkIcvhvHO/giphy.gif

TheKingpin28
April 14th, 2017, 06:52 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/G86tWkIcvhvHO/giphy.gif

http://i.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2015/KFrWex.gif

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 08:04 PM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2015/KFrWex.gif

accurate.

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Pxp Man For Northern Iowa Gary Rima 4 - 13 - 17
https://soundcloud.com/user-74421198...y-rima-4-13-17 (https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/pxp-man-for-northern-iowa-gary-rima-4-13-17)

Gary Rima thinks UMKC is a good fit..... xlolx

TheKingpin28
April 14th, 2017, 08:38 PM
accurate.

I've seen you in the tailgate lots. If I did not know this was Danny McBride, I would have thought it was you.

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I've seen you in the tailgate lots. If I did not know this was Danny McBride, I would have thought it was you.

You didn't know me back in the "booze hound" days. xlolx

citdog
April 14th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Now you are the MD!

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/101/12/24/5/dr-thunder-soda-12-fl-oz-24-pack_2058285.jpg

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Now you are the MD!

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/101/12/24/5/dr-thunder-soda-12-fl-oz-24-pack_2058285.jpg

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/david-hasselhoff-baywatch-thumbs-up-nerd-happy-1412016437p.gif?id=

TheKingpin28
April 14th, 2017, 11:45 PM

If only... But I understand.

That is why, if, keyword is if, but if I ever have kids, I am afraid to tell them about the fun days of college for me. It would be torture since I could not talk about all of the fun I had and then try and tell them they should never do that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 15th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I like it.

6 teams for a auto bid right?

Almost there.