PDA

View Full Version : Midnight in Chattanooga Now Available for Purchase!

NYJMUSupporter
June 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Please help spread the word about a new book that has just came out about the 2004 JMU National Championship. It is not often that books about FCS football come out. Appreciate the help!

Link to Pre-order Site:http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=69914

About the Book:During a five-year stretch in the middle of the decade, the James Madison Dukes emerged as one of the elite programs in FCS football. Behind a confident coach and an established recruiting pipeline, the Dukes steamrolled their way to four playoff appearances, one national championship and a 49-15 record from 2004-2008.

The origins of this run, however, began much earlier — in critical moments and decisions made during a long rebuilding effort. Madison football had most recently been marked by poor attendance, young players, mediocrity and tragedy when the 2004 season opened. And yet there also existed a foundation of camaraderie, purpose and talent — the building blocks of a successful program. As the ’04 season got underway, the backdrop of an embattled coach, a quarterback controversy and a family in pain gave way to thrilling plays, comeback victories, and a historic run that changed the future of the program.

In Midnight in Chattanooga, James Irwin examines the disparity between the pre- and post-championship landscapes of JMU football, giving readers an exclusive look at the pivotal season — and game — that catapulted the Dukes to the upper levels of the FCS arms race. Fortunate to cover the Dukes throughout the 2004 season, Irwin weaves through a powerful story of a group of men on the doorstep of their first championship, the friendships they developed, the tragedies they overcame, and the community that embraced them.

smallcollegefbfan
June 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Please help spread the word about a new book that has just came out about the 2004 JMU National Championship. It is not often that books about FCS football come out. Appreciate the help!

Link to Pre-order Site:http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=69914

About the Book:During a five-year stretch in the middle of the decade, the James Madison Dukes emerged as one of the elite programs in FCS football. Behind a confident coach and an established recruiting pipeline, the Dukes steamrolled their way to four playoff appearances, one national championship and a 49-15 record from 2004-2008.

The origins of this run, however, began much earlier — in critical moments and decisions made during a long rebuilding effort. Madison football had most recently been marked by poor attendance, young players, mediocrity and tragedy when the 2004 season opened. And yet there also existed a foundation of camaraderie, purpose and talent — the building blocks of a successful program. As the ’04 season got underway, the backdrop of an embattled coach, a quarterback controversy and a family in pain gave way to thrilling plays, comeback victories, and a historic run that changed the future of the program.

In Midnight in Chattanooga, James Irwin examines the disparity between the pre- and post-championship landscapes of JMU football, giving readers an exclusive look at the pivotal season — and game — that catapulted the Dukes to the upper levels of the FCS arms race. Fortunate to cover the Dukes throughout the 2004 season, Irwin weaves through a powerful story of a group of men on the doorstep of their first championship, the friendships they developed, the tragedies they overcame, and the community that embraced them.

Good stuff! Did you write this?

I know Dave Coulson wrote a book about the ASU titles a few years back and it was an excellent read. I still have my signed copy from Mr. C in my room. :) I'll have to get a copy of this one as well!

NYJMUSupporter
June 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I did not write the book, but I served as the editor for the project. The author is James Irwin, current Sports Editor for the Washington Examiner and the former Sports Editor for The Breeze (JMU Student Newspaper). James covered the Dukes during the 2004 championship run. The book is a must read for all JMU fans and FCS followers alike.