PDA

View Full Version : IUP HC: Next Step is I-AA FB

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Figures. IUP adds a former Div I HC as their HC and now the President is drooling at the mouth over moving the Indians to Div I-AA football and of course, I-A in all the other sports.

Any thoughts from people in the region on if it's possible for them to do so? Resources there? Which conference could they jump to if they went Div I?
-------
IUP president Tony Atwater said the school will continue to explore the possibility of moving up to Division I if the required funds can be generated in the next several years.

"It is our desire for IUP to reach for greatness," he said. "The logical next step is I-AA football if we can raise that kind of money."

To compete in I-AA football, IUP would have to upgrade all of its other men's and women's programs to Division I-A status and increase the number of scholarships and full-time coaches and assistants for all teams.

"IUP is the only program in the PSAC that could have that kind of success," Tepper said. "That's part of the reason I was intrigued to come to IUP."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06004/632231.stm

carney2
January 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Figures. IUP adds a former Div I HC as their HC and now the President is drooling at the mouth over moving the Indians to Div I-AA football and of course, I-A in all the other sports.

Any thoughts from people in the region on if it's possible for them to do so? Resources there? Which conference could they jump to if they went Div I?
-------
IUP president Tony Atwater said the school will continue to explore the possibility of moving up to Division I if the required funds can be generated in the next several years.

"It is our desire for IUP to reach for greatness," he said. "The logical next step is I-AA football if we can raise that kind of money."

To compete in I-AA football, IUP would have to upgrade all of its other men's and women's programs to Division I-A status and increase the number of scholarships and full-time coaches and assistants for all teams.

"IUP is the only program in the PSAC that could have that kind of success," Tepper said. "That's part of the reason I was intrigued to come to IUP."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06004/632231.stm

This is major news, IMO. I always figured that all of those PSAC schools were just spokes radiating out of a single, centrally controlled hub. You know, a one for all and all for one sort of thing. The question is, if IUP goes, does anyone else follow? West Chester is the first to come to mind.

downbythebeach
January 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I remember the joke that IUP's players were already acting as if they were DI, when there was a big scandal and about half their football team went to jail after a huge robbery and assult incident.

Can they do it? I would say probably not.

I can't see the NEC wanting them, and im not sure to what other conference they could go. The conference has turned down many other schools in the past, a lot of them better fits than IUP.

LeopardFan04
January 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Interesting, I thought someone in Harrisburg had control over these things, since the schools are state funded and controlled, and the idea of them joining a conference does seem to pose major problems...the NEC does seem the only possibility, but as it's been written, others have been rejected before...I wonder what this could mean for the PSAC, 13 teams works far more poorly than 14...

nlwwln
January 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM
perhaps the pioneer or maybe even gateway

TexasTerror
January 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Here's an article about their head coach down there and a little about his background. Seems to have a great track record, though he's getting up there in age. He'll need to act fast or put the pieces of the puzzle together so they can move to I-AA...

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/s_414202.html

Tribe4SF
January 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Tepper is a great guy. Was well liked at W&M. I played against him in high school, though I don't really remember him from then.

IUP has always had a special place in my heart. Several of my high school teammates won a Div. III championship there. Latrobe was a pipeline to IUP in the late sixties.

GannonFan
January 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
IUP could probably make the jump, but I agree, being part of the PSAC I wonder how they would do that from a funding standpoint. Heck, I think the coaches for the PSAC are all part of the same union as well, which was a factor at the start of last year when they were considering striking for a new contract. But I'm sure if there is some institutional will at IUP they could do it - they've always had a good DII football program. West Chester, IMO, would never move up. They have funding issues as it is and would run into Title IX compliance issues if they had to move up - I don't think West Chester even offers the full amount that DII allows right now. West Chester has a very good football history, and with former Hen QB Bill Zwaan as coach they will be very good for as long as he's there, but they're never going to move to IAA.

NDSU_grad
January 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
IUP has always been kind of the outcast in the PSAC. The other schools seem very content downplaying football and competing for conference championships. IUP would like to be a contender on the national scene, but the PSAC schools placed a limit of 24 scholarships on all PSAC schools (the DII limit is 36). This has pretty much rendered the PSAC a non-factor on the national scene in DII football.
That said, I think they could be successful in I-AA if they receive institutional support. I just don't know where they would fit as far as conference affiliation.

GannonFan
January 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM
IUP has always been kind of the outcast in the PSAC. The other schools seem very content downplaying football and competing for conference championships. IUP would like to be a contender on the national scene, but the PSAC schools placed a limit of 24 scholarships on all PSAC schools (the DII limit is 36). This has pretty much rendered the PSAC a non-factor on the national scene in DII football.
That said, I think they could be successful in I-AA if they receive institutional support. I just don't know where they would fit as far as conference affiliation.

Even with the restrictions, IUP did manage 6 semifinal appearances in 10 years in the 90's, and that was before the regionalization of the playoffs (i.e. they predominately played teams outside of the northeast during those runs). They have clearly been the best of the PSAC over the past 15 years (West Chester languished under a prior head coach and Bloomsburg had one really good run to the championship game in 2000, again, before regionalization).

NDSU_grad
January 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM
DII had regionalization in 2000, and no offense, but that Bloomsburg was not that good. They lost 63-35 in the championship game. I hate to even mention 2000, that will probably open up a big can of worms for Bison fans. :rolleyes:
Also, I'm not sure, when did the PSAC impose scholarship limits. I know the PSAC used to be one of the stronger conferences in DII ( like in the 90's, which you referenced) but lately has become a very average DII conference.

bluehenbillk
January 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM
To my knowledge the PSAC no longer has any self-imposed scholarship restrictions. Bill Zwaan who's been the HC at West Chester for 2 years said his 1st goal was to get WCU back to the full allotment of schollies. I believe Bloomsburg is already there too.

NDSU_grad
January 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
To my knowledge the PSAC no longer has any self-imposed scholarship restrictions. Bill Zwaan who's been the HC at West Chester for 2 years said his 1st goal was to get WCU back to the full allotment of schollies. I believe Bloomsburg is already there too.
I was off by one, it's 25. Link (http://www.psacsports.org/handbook/football.doc). The WC coach may have been referring to getting back to the full allotment of schollies allowed by the PSAC. Many DII conferences place limits on schollies below 36 (usually from 20-25), but many teams in these conferences do not even offer that lower number. Yet all conferences are treated equally when it comes to playoff selection. DII is a wacky world.

AmsterBison
January 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
First, I think IUP would be a great addition to DI-AA football. Great program, great fans. Second, the rest of their conference always talked about them being thugs and whatnot, but that's not the impression I got of their program at all (I don't think that latest incident is indicative of a trend). Third, it doesn't change the fact that IUP had a very good program, but DII implemented regionalization at the beginning of the 1990s. I hate regionalization, especially the way that DII has it set up.

NDSU_grad
January 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
It probably came across that I was bashing IUP in my posts, but I too think they would be a good addition to I-AA. Any negativity that I conveyed has to do with DII regionalization and the absolutely stupid way they seed teams for the playoffs.

GannonFan
January 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
First, I think IUP would be a great addition to DI-AA football. Great program, great fans. Second, the rest of their conference always talked about them being thugs and whatnot, but that's not the impression I got of their program at all (I don't think that latest incident is indicative of a trend). Third, it doesn't change the fact that IUP had a very good program, but DII implemented regionalization at the beginning of the 1990s. I hate regionalization, especially the way that DII has it set up.

If they did start regionalization in the 90's where did they have the PSAC located? IUP played a lot of games against Ferris St and Saginaw Valley (etc) that would've placed them in the same area as the Great Lakes Conference - not a terrible conference in DII.

DII had regionalization in 2000, and no offense, but that Bloomsburg was not that good. They lost 63-35 in the championship game. I hate to even mention 2000, that will probably open up a big can of worms for Bison fans.

What was so bad about Bloomsburg's run? The did beat Saginaw Valley and Northwood before beating UC Davis. And the 29 point loss to Delta St was bad, but as you point out, ND St lost by 18 the week before (was that game at ND St as well?). Delta manhandled a few people that year.

henfan
January 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I though the PSAC max limit for football schollies was 24 (25's close enough.) In any case, WCUPA offers around 20 football schollies. I believe IUP & Cal are the only two schools offering the full PSAC allotment for football.

Wonder if the America East would consider IUP. A good regional candidate, especially if football is in the offing for the AEC someday.

NDSU_grad
January 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
If they did start regionalization in the 90's where did they have the PSAC located? IUP played a lot of games against Ferris St and Saginaw Valley (etc) that would've placed them in the same area as the Great Lakes Conference - not a terrible conference in DII.
Not sure when regionalization started. But you're right, the PSAC and GLIAC were in the same region that year, and the GLIAC at the time was considered a good conference, it is now probably one of the top 3 in DII.

What was so bad about Bloomsburg's run? The did beat Saginaw Valley and Northwood before beating UC Davis. And the 29 point loss to Delta St was bad, but as you point out, ND St lost by 18 the week before (was that game at ND St as well?). Delta manhandled a few people that year.
I was probably being a little hard on Bloomsburg, but my main point is that the PSAC will never be a national contender in DII as long as they have the 25 scholly limit. Right now I would say the LSC, NCC, MIAA, GLIAC, GSC, and maybe the SAC are all better conferences than the PSAC. The PSAC is probably on par with the RMAC.

TxSt02
January 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
never heard of these guys...

I was thinking this was a spin off of IUPUI or IUPUFW...

TxSt02
January 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
they would need to start by changing their mascot from something other than the indians...

nlwwln
January 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
i could see them in the pioneer or maybe even the gateway

AmsterBison
January 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM

IUP used to be in a region with the Great Lakes conference and some West Virginia conference. Later they added the non-schollie NE-10 and, later still, they moved the Great Lakes conference into some trans-Continental monstrosity that covers the US from the West Coast to Ohio. The Great Lakes conference didn't really have a contender between 1980 and 2001 (before 1980, Northern Michigan was a fantastic program). Hehe, and don't get Bison fans started on Delta State - that was basically the kick in the ass that finally put NDSU in DI.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM
If IUP joins I-AA, wouldn't the Gateway be a natural place for them to go? Isn't it right down the street from Youngstown St.?

The big big trouble with that is twofold: 1) it puts them in a basketball "black hole", where there's no real conference (the "Western Illinois" problem) - maybe the Horizon League? and 2) Youngstown St. may try to jump to I-A.

The other real option in my mind is the NEC in all sports, but it's awful far to travel to Central Connecticut St., Quinnipiac, etc.

Superneck
January 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I say let them come to Gateway, then we get Eastern Illinois back to Gateway where they belong and make a nice even 10. Tepper ought to be familiar with EIU, WIU, SIU and ISU since he had to battle them for instate talent back when he was at Illinois.

Pete's Weekly
January 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Don't forget that football is rarley the main factor in a move like this. IUP is a tremendous basketball school. Much more so than football. I could be wrong, but I think they are around .750 over the last 10 years. They have NCAA appearances scattered throughout that, including a final-4 just a couple of years ago. This is why they want to move ..they want a peice of the NCAA DI tourney. So, when you are looking at where they may go (as to a conference) look at basketball, not football. If they go to the GFC, they would have to be in the MVC, Horizon, or Mid-Con ...only the latter would even consider a probationary school. RPI would drop too much for the other two, as they are very well-established MBB conferences. OVC, is an all-sports conference. Natural rivals in Duquesne & Robert Morris make more sense to me.

Cap'n Cat
January 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Now way in God's green Earth do they get in the Gateway.

:rolleyes:

turfdoc
January 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Oh the fun of flying into pitssburgh then driving an hour and half over the hills of Appalachia (OK mountains for you locals) to the quaint little town of Indiana, PA in freezing rain and snow.....what conference's members wouldn't want that road trip on their schedule.

If you do not think that is important it almost kept Penn State out of the Big Ten. Upgrades had to be made to the airport in State College for basketball, not football (many football teams still fly into Harrisburg)

I-AA Fan
January 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Excellent point turfdoc. Multiple games in a week is not common in football.

Purple Knight
January 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Lou Tepper wrote a great book re linebackers and defensive play.

GannonFan
January 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Oh the fun of flying into pitssburgh then driving an hour and half over the hills of Appalachia (OK mountains for you locals) to the quaint little town of Indiana, PA in freezing rain and snow.....what conference's members wouldn't want that road trip on their schedule.

If you do not think that is important it almost kept Penn State out of the Big Ten. Upgrades had to be made to the airport in State College for basketball, not football (many football teams still fly into Harrisburg)

Well, the Gateway does have that lovely trip to Macomb, IL, already in the conference schedule - it's hard to get more remote than Western Illinois. But as the Cap says, very unlikely that IUP would end up there.

blukeys
January 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Obviously, it is going to be awhile before IUP makes this move. If schools like Monmouth and Albany continue to upgrade their programs IUP might make sense in a revised NEC/Pioneer with the scollie schools sticking together.