PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary 2011 Richmond Schedule

bostonspider
June 17th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Now that the CAA has released their schedule for next year, we can get a preliminary look at how UR will be setting up their whole schedule. Liking the look of the schedule with 6 home games for the Spiders yet again.

2011 SCHEDULE
at Duke (9-3)
Wagner (9-10)
VMI (9-17)
New Hampshire (9-24)
at James Madison (10-1)
at Towson (10-8)
BYE (10-15)
Maine (10-22)
UMass (10-29)
at ODU (11-5)
at Delaware (11-12)
William & Mary (11-19)

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
What's the thought on that out of conference schedule?

Winnable FBS game and then two (typical) FCS patsies in Wagner and VMI. We know the CAA slate is tough, but the OOC comes up flat...?

rufus
June 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Tough CAA schedule obviously. At least the spiders have JMU in Harrisonburg. The home team hasn't won a game in the JMU-Richmond series since 2003.

bostonspider
June 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Winnable FBS game and then two (typical) FCS patsies in Wagner and VMI. We know the CAA slate is tough, but the OOC comes up flat...?

Well I obviously like the Duke game. Anytime you can play an academic rival, who is in the ACC and is beatable, you gotta be pleased with that. VMI is also a great historical rival whom the Spiders have played 90 or so times, so I am happy to see them return to Richmond. Now I am not sure why UR is playing Wagner. There is no connection that I can see, and they are not really who I would like to see UR play. I really like the Elon series, and would be happy to continue that, or play Wofford or Furman. Or even a good PL team as UR has so much more in common with say Colgate or Bucknell than it does with Wagner.

Rob Iola
June 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Not sure how you can say "flat" with an ACC school on the schedule, even if it is Duke...

UR Spider
June 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
If the game with Wagner is a home and home, similar to what we have done with Bucknell, Georgetown, et. al then I can certainly see the upside in playing a road game in an area with a ton of alumni, especially since Hofstra is no longer around and Villanova / Delaware might be a longer drive then the NYC area alums want to make.

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
If the game with Wagner is a home and home, similar to what we have done with Bucknell, Georgetown, et. al then I can certainly see the upside in playing a road game in an area with a ton of alumni, especially since Hofstra is no longer around and Villanova / Delaware might be a longer drive then the NYC area alums want to make.

You realize that Wagner is in Staten Island, right? How many NYC alumni will make the trip there for a game? (Probably about as many alumni as Georgetown will get there, now that Georgetown added Wagner after UR ended its series in DC.)

GannonFan
June 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure how you can say "flat" with an ACC school on the schedule, even if it is Duke...

I think the comment was fair - Wagner and VMI are patsies so there's only one really decent OOC game of the three. I'm not an advocate of playing incredibly tough OOC schedules, especially if you don't need the money, but I've knocked my own Delaware for schedules like this before (*cough* this year *cough) so I've got no problem knocking UR as well. I like schedules with just one patsy.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Delaware guys know patsies when they see them!

VMI is an in-state opponent that we have a long history of playing. Additionally, playing a team with their brand of offense in the regular season has helped with prepping for similar teams in the playoffs. You just don't see their type of offense in the CAA anymore.

I don't have an excuse for Wagner and I don't want to travel to Wagner. I would gladly do a Home and Home with Stony Brook, if we have to go to New York.

UR Spider
June 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM
You realize that Wagner is in Staten Island, right? How many NYC alumni will make the trip there for a game? (Probably about as many alumni as Georgetown will get there, now that Georgetown added Wagner after UR ended its series in DC.)

Last time I checked Staten Island was indeed one of the five boroughs, so yes I fullly realize where it is. Note, that I said NYC area alumns. UR probably has at least a handful of alumns living in NJ as well as the city itself and from growing up in NJ, I can personally attest to the fact that a quick trip across the outer bridge crossing is not that difficult.

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I understand the context, but Wagner tends not to draw because it is on the island, where the outerbridge crossing may not be as convenient for the alumni in the city.

Seawolf97
June 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It is funny we cant get a game with Wagner home or away but they will travel to Virginia? Last time we played them was 2006 I believe before we went independent for a year. They are picked to win the NEC this year. Supposedly have a solid young QB .

elon77
June 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well I obviously like the Duke game. Anytime you can play an academic rival, who is in the ACC and is beatable, you gotta be pleased with that. VMI is also a great historical rival whom the Spiders have played 90 or so times, so I am happy to see them return to Richmond. Now I am not sure why UR is playing Wagner. There is no connection that I can see, and they are not really who I would like to see UR play. I really like the Elon series, and would be happy to continue that, or play Wofford or Furman. Or even a good PL team as UR has so much more in common with say Colgate or Bucknell than it does with Wagner.

Yes to the Elon series.

PhoenixPhan06
June 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yes to the Elon series.

I second that

LakesBison
June 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Come to NDSU and play spiders!

DTSpider
June 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
The reason for Wagner is that they don't require a return trip. When you open a new stadium that your alumni gave $25M to build, you need to get as many home games as possible.

darell1976
June 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I would like to see Richmond play UND. We need more eastern teams to come to the midwest.

Punchy
June 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I wish we could play UR and JMU in a home-home series.

Punchy
June 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
What do you all think about ODU? I've been impressed with how their football team has come along.

wr70beh
June 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
What do you all think about ODU? I've been impressed with how their football team has come along.

I think the numbers speak for themselves when it comes to ODU. They have a huge season ticket base for a start-up team. They are located in a strong area for high school football and can recruit right in their backyard. They did things the right way instead of just saying "we're starting a team" and hope for the best.

Libertine
June 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
VMI is an in-state opponent that we have a long history of playing. Additionally, playing a team with their brand of offense in the regular season has helped with prepping for similar teams in the playoffs. You just don't see their type of offense in the CAA anymore.

You won't see it from VMI anymore either. They ditched it in the off-season.

LeadBolt
June 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
You won't see it from VMI anymore either. They ditched it in the off-season.

Do you have an idea of what offense will they be using? I would love to see them be more competitive.

kdinva
June 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

Winnable FBS game and then two (typical) FCS patsies in Wagner and VMI.?

2009: UR 38, VMI 28, and in the 4th period VMI was driving for TD #5xhurrayx but the UR defense rose up and stopped the drivexbangx.

True; earlier there were a few 35+ point wins for UR.....

kdinva
June 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Do you have an idea of what offense will they be using? I would love to see them be more competitive.
(as posted on the "other" 1-AA chat site).........Sparky has developed his own offensive playbook, and has been recruiting to that new look the past two winters. It's sort of a mixture of Alabama's and the Indy Colts' playbooks. Some under center for the QB, some shotgun. Lots of 3-wides w/a TE and HB. 4-wides and a HB, Pro-I w/offset FB, shotgun with 2 backs and 3 wides, or shotgun w/TE and 3 wides w/one HB. Offense did OK in their two scrimmages in April. Can't wait for September, either.xnodx