PDA

View Full Version : Would NCAA Support 12 Game Exception for SWAC?

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see the NCAA allow us the right to have that extra game... (Actually, I think the entire League should have the right to play an extra game as we're not FCS Playoff participants anyway).

There are several other FCS leagues out there that would like a 12-game schedule for the subdivision. In wake of the expansion to the playoffs, I do not think those leagues are on board with it anymore.

Personally do not think the SWAC would get the votes from other leagues to allow them a 12-game schedule while the other leagues at the FCS level are restricted to just 11.

Also - not all of the SWAC schools have had success in putting together 11-game schedules, even with a nine-game conference slate. Is there enough support amongst SWAC schools behind 12 games?

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
The other leagues restricted themselves from the 12 game schedule...

No - quite a few leagues voted FOR the 12 game schedule including the Southland Conference. The majority voted against, so that's why we are here and why I feel the SWAC has no legitimate chance at getting their own special rules from the NCAA.

Those in the conference who can't schedule 12 will have the option of not doing so...it applies only to those who chooses that option.

Would the majority of SWAC schools even be in favor of scheduling 12 games? They were a year or two ago, but in wake of several struggling to schedule 11 games in the last two years, plus the financial issues - would they be in favor now? For a league that makes decisions solely based on finances, I do not think the favor will exist. In some cases, that's why schools have played 10 games - finances.

mikebigg
June 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM
It's a no-brainer in my opinion. Maybe we should petition the NCAA for the right to have a 12 game regular season schedule so that we can add an extra game at the beginning of the season. Right now, we have the Port City Classic in Shreveport for the Labor Day Weekend and an open date the following week. Rather than an open date...we could SET the next weekend as a home game each season for the EGR Classic.

I think Southern is putting together or has started the A.W. "Ace" Mumford Classic and JSU has the W.C. Gordon Classic for their legendary coaches. However, I don't think either of them has it as an "extra" game. I'd like to see the NCAA allow us the right to have that extra game... (Actually, I think the entire League should have the right to play an extra game as we're not FCS Playoff participants anyway).

No - quite a few leagues voted FOR the 12 game schedule including the Southland Conference. The majority voted against, so that's why we are here and why I feel the SWAC has no legitimate chance at getting their own special rules from the NCAA.

Would the majority of SWAC schools even be in favor of scheduling 12 games? They were a year or two ago, but in wake of several struggling to schedule 11 games in the last two years, plus the financial issues - would they be in favor now? For a league that makes decisions solely based on finances, I do not think the favor will exist. In some cases, that's why schools have played 10 games - finances.

To help with reading comprehension, I highlighted some contextual clues.

Clearly, 3rd Coast Tiger and I were talking about Grambling initially and possibly the entire league (if they wanted to exercise) that option.

Also, asking for an exemption is not seeking special rules. It is merely an exemption of a rule for those who seek to use it. If it's ok by you (well, actually even if it's not) I think it's worth pursuing. As for the other teams and their decisions to schedule 10 games, that's really none of my business. (There's a hint in that last statement)

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
The SWAC can request an exemption, but the other leagues will ultimately have the say at the end of the day whether one league within the subdivision can have an exemption to play 12 games...

I think the other leagues in the subdivision would shoot it down, especially since it gives the SWAC more flexibility to schedule the FBS 'pay dates' that they are also fighting to get. Even if that is not the intent of the league - as far as opening the doors for FBS dates...

mikebigg
June 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
The SWAC can request an exemption, but the other leagues will ultimately have the say at the end of the day whether one league within the subdivision can have an exemption to play 12 games...

I think the other leagues in the subdivision would shoot it down, especially since it gives the SWAC more flexibility to schedule the FBS 'pay dates' that they are also fighting to get. Even if that is not the intent of the league - as far as opening the doors for FBS dates...

So this would be in retaliation for not participating in the playoffs? Is that what you're saying? Do you think your fellow FCS Brethren are that vindictive? I was of the impression that if it shows to be a lucrative approach, they would decide to follow suit. I guess I give them more credit for being open minded than you consider them to be.

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
So this would be in retaliation for not participating in the playoffs? Is that what you're saying? Do you think your fellow FCS Brethren are that vindictive? I was of the impression that if it shows to be a lucrative approach, they would decide to follow suit. I guess I give them more credit for being open minded than you consider them to be.

Never said it had anything to do with the playoffs...but more with the fact that it would allow the SWAC more flexibility in scheduling FBS dates, ones that they could take from other FCS institutions, who typically rely on at least one money date.

Do not think other FCS institutions would be interested in it in wake of the expanded playoffs, which will soon include EVERY conference except the Ivy League and the SWAC. Yes, the Pioneer will even get in...

With the expanded playoffs, you could have teams playing 15-16 games (11 regular season, four or five playoff games). The years there are a 12-game schedule allowed, it would be 16-17 at most. That's just a bit much...

Also, the FCS schools may say 'no' because they see half of the SWAC schools struggling to schedule 11 games as is...got to look out for the betterment of all!

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Never said it had anything to do with the playoffs...but more with the fact that it would allow the SWAC more flexibility in scheduling FBS dates, ones that they could take from other FCS institutions, who typically rely on at least one money date.

Do not think other FCS institutions would be interested in it in wake of the expanded playoffs, which will soon include EVERY conference except the Ivy League and the SWAC. Yes, the Pioneer will even get in...

With the expanded playoffs, you could have teams playing 15-16 games (11 regular season, four or five playoff games). The years there are a 12-game schedule allowed, it would be 16-17 at most. That's just a bit much...

Also, the FCS schools may say 'no' because they see half of the SWAC schools struggling to schedule 11 games as is...got to look out for the betterment of all!

The SWAC is part of the "all" and if our best interest isn't served, perhaps legal action is the next step. I would imagine a good legal case could be made since the NCAA does allow 12 games in the other sub division and the FCS does schedule 12 games in certain years.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The SWAC is part of the "all" and if our best interest isn't served, perhaps legal action is the next step. I would imagine a good legal case could be made since the NCAA does allow 12 games in the other sub division and the FCS does schedule 12 games in certain years.

The FCS schedules 12 games in year when the calendar is longer and the teams can make sure to get a 'bye week' in there...

The SWAC probably would not have much legal ground to battle the NCAA, since it would be up for a fair and equitable vote amongst the members of the organization.

The NCAA membership's two biggest arguments for voting it down:

1) Unfair advantage to SWAC in securing FBS games that generate revenue

2) The financial and administrative troubles that are present in the SWAC have made it difficult for half of the membership to schedule 11 games each year, why put them in a situation where they could end up with 10 games when 12 are are allowed?

bluehenbillk
June 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I'd say more football = good idea. That being said the SWAC deserves nothing special, either it happens for all of FCS or not.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'd say more football = good idea. That being said the SWAC deserves nothing special, either it happens for all of FCS or not.

Agreed.

Also mikebigg made the point, "Actually, I think the entire League should have the right to play an extra game as we're not FCS Playoff participants anyway."

Yes, you have not been to the playoffs in some time, but your league is open to an invite if the right circumstances occurred. I do not think that helps the argument any.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 17th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Go to FBS. They already play 12 game schedules, play in bowls, and do all these things your heart desires. The course of action is obvious.

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Go to FBS. They already play 12 game schedules, play in bowls, and do all these things your heart desires. The course of action is obvious.

I say it should be put to a vote again... most in FCS would probably vote it down. As for your go to FBS comment, why should we have to. If we decide to stay in FCS that's our perogative and if we don't like some of the things that are done in FCS it is within our rights to comment on and attempt to change. That's how it's down in a Democracy.

The SWAC probably won't go the route of legal action, but I think it would stand a good chance of winning in litigation.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
The SWAC probably won't go the route of legal action, but I think it would stand a good chance of winning in litigation.

The SWAC lawyers are too busy with the internal problems in the league, aren't they? Isn't the Commish being sued presently?

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
The SWAC lawyers are too busy with the internal problems in the league, aren't they? Isn't the Commish being sued presently?

You tell me... seems you follow our happenings closer than most. But I'd like to know exactly what could the NCAA do to stop us? I mean seriously, if we decided to schedule and play 12 games what the hell could the NCAA do? Sanction us? Ban us from the playoffs? Too funny!

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
You tell me... seems you follow our happenings closer than most. But I'd like to know exactly what could the NCAA do to stop us? I mean seriously, if we decided to schedule and play 12 games what the hell could the NCAA do? Sanction us? Ban us from the playoffs? Too funny!

Violating NCAA rules in one sport, can lead to sanctions on your athletic department - not just in football.

NCAA sanctions could lead to the end of jobs for some people in Grambling, who I am sure value their positions.

Banning you from postseason play - SCG, Legacy Classic or playoffs - may not upset you, but bans from postseason play in other sports (including conference tournaments) might...

I wouldn't cross the NCAA knowingly... xnonono2x

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Violating NCAA rules in one sport, can lead to sanctions on your athletic department - not just in football.

NCAA sanctions could lead to the end of jobs for some people in Grambling, who I am sure value their positions.

Banning you from postseason play - SCG, Legacy Classic or playoffs - may not upset you, but bans from postseason play in other sports (including conference tournaments) might...

I wouldn't cross the NCAA knowingly... xnonono2x

You say cross... I say challenge!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM
No, seriously, you don't have to fight. Just make the move to FBS! Nobody in the NCAA or FCS will stop you. You'll still be a Division I conference. It won't affect your other sports. Just man up, raise the money and do it!

Why are you fighting to make the FCS more like FBS? The great majority of FCS does not want "FBS Lite" - they want eleven game schedules and a championship. You want to make FCS more like FBS - well then, why don't you go to the subdivision that makes money in the way you want?

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
No, seriously, you don't have to fight. Just make the move to FBS! Nobody in the NCAA or FCS will stop you. You'll still be a Division I conference. It won't affect your other sports. Just man up, raise the money and do it!

Why are you fighting to make the FCS more like FBS? The great majority of FCS does not want "FBS Lite" - they want eleven game schedules and a championship. You want to make FCS more like FBS - well then, why don't you go to the subdivision that makes money in the way you want?

Because we don't have too... we can stay here and make changes or suggestions on changes. Isn't that a member's right?

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Seriously, how many FCS money games do you think our coaches would try to have in one season? Definitely no more than 2 and actually, I doubt if it's that many. What it would do is open the door for more OOC FCS opponents either at a neutral site or home and home.

The sad thing is that rather than see how the 12 games could benefit all FCS schools/programs, you guys AUTOMATICALLY oppose it because you think the SWAC will benefit. Oh well... xbangx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM
The sad thing is that rather than see how the 12 games could benefit all FCS schools/programs, you guys AUTOMATICALLY oppose it because you think the SWAC will benefit. Oh well... xbangx

Some schools have seen the SWAC benefit from classic games so they are trying their hand in it. xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
June 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Some schools have seen the SWAC benefit from classic games so they are trying their hand in it. xsmiley_wix

The MEAC and Tennessee State seem to be able to juggle classics and a shot at the postseason. xsmiley_wix

mikebigg
June 17th, 2010, 09:51 AM

It might very well work for them... just as I think the newly created Port City Classic will be a lucrative payday for Grambling and LaTech. We might even invite another FCS school in the future...but then again, they don't like "Classics" so maybe not. xeyebrowx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
The MEAC and Tennessee State seem to be able to juggle classics and a shot at the postseason. xsmiley_wix

And before the SCG game into effect in 1999, Texas Southern, Prairie View, Alcorn, Mississippi Valley, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Alabama A&M and Jackson State had a shot at the postseason but didn't have the wins to get them in. xsmiley_wix