PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely to Move Up From Div II?

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
With the break-up of the Gulf South Conference pending (see Div II Realignment (http://anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69790) thread), the Lone Star Conference about to see changes and other changes at the Div II level - what schools are most likely to move up from Div II to Div I?

Several schools that stick out, have gone on the record discussing a move or been mentioned here before...

Bellarmine
Delta State
Lincoln Memorial
North Alabama
Tarleton State
West Georgia
West Florida - in process of football feasibility study
Western Washington
Other (Please Share)

eagle1
June 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Western Washington does not have football anymore!

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Guess that makes them the least likely! xnonono2x

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2008607128_kelley09.html

Seems they were mentioned often at some point. Was that Central Washington?

GeauxLions94
June 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Then scratch them off :p

http://wisportsconsin.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/phelps.jpg

North Alabama (with a pretty good tradition and Terry Bowden as head coach) seems to be the most logical choice to move up with Tarleton State and maybe Valdosta State or West Georgia next. Delta State (in the middle of nowhere) would struggle IMO to make the move.

bkrownd
June 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Is Bellarmine starting a team or something? They have their scholarships tied up in lacrosse.

TheBisonator
June 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
West Texas A&M is the most ready, IMO. They have a big stadium and a new arena, plus a 22 million dollar track/baseball/softball complex they're currently building. The Southland would be a good fit. Plus, WTAM was in the highest level of football back in the day.

Grand Valley State does not have the testicles to do it. You wouldn't believe the number of excuses their fanbase comes up with whenever the topic comes up on the D2 board.

24,000 students and a 10 million dollar athletic budget. "But Division I is SCARY!!!", cry they.

Then they knock on the directional Michigan MAC schools at the same time, thinking they would beat them.

Bunch of pussies, IMO.

NoCoDanny
June 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM
West Texas A&M is the most ready, IMO. They have a big stadium and a new arena, plus a 22 million dollar track/baseball/softball complex they're currently building. The Southland would be a good fit. Plus, WTAM was in the highest level of football back in the day.

Grand Valley State does not have the testicles to do it. You wouldn't believe the number of excuses their fanbase comes up with whenever the topic comes up on the D2 board.

24,000 students and a 10 million dollar athletic budget. "But Division I is SCARY!!!", cry they.

Then they knock on the directional Michigan schools in the MAC at the same time, thinking they would beat them.

Bunch of pussies, IMO.

Find and replace: Grand Valley/Montana
Division I/FBS
MAC/WAC

TheBisonator
June 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Find and replace: Grand Valley/Montana
Division I/FBS
MAC/WAC

Like I said, the problem is that their administration and fanbase has no male genitalia. They're comfortable playing the Hillsdales and Tiffins and Findlays of the world.

89rabbit
June 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
UNO - University of Nebraska Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100123/SPORTS/701239833

eagle1
June 16th, 2010, 08:06 PM
These are the DII teams that I think are the most ready.

Grand Valley State (large enrollment and winning tradition)
West Texas A&M (large football stadium and recent winning)
North Alabama (large football stadium and Bobby Bowdin)
Central Missouri State (large football stadium and KC market)
Nebraska Omaha (already have DI hockey and large enrollment)
Central Oklahoma (good football stadium and OKC market)

Central Washington (may have to if the Big Sky comes calling)

wr70beh
June 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Wayne State has 33000 students and plays in the GLIAC (w/GVSU). They're fair on the gridiron. There doesn't seem to be any urgency to move up to D1 there (most of their students commute).

wr70beh
June 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM

GVSU is definitely ready for D1. Not only are they dominant in D2 football, but they win in a bunch of other sports as well. Findlay won the D2 men's basketball championship this year. I'm sure the rest of D2 would love to get that ringer of a team out of their division.

NHwildEcat
June 16th, 2010, 08:28 PM

I voted for them...I think they should restart the program. Bill Gates can pay for it!

achrist70
June 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Then they knock on the directional Michigan MAC schools at the same time, thinking they would beat them.

Bunch of pussies, IMO.

There is a big interview with there AD which is nothing but excuses for staying in DII. The sad part is that this is on their athletic website.

http://www.gvsulakers.com/links/qatimselgo.html

Bogus Megapardus
June 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
LaMoyne

Edinboro (PA)

Indiana (PA)

California (PA)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 16th, 2010, 11:04 PM
LaMoyne

Edinboro (PA)

Indiana (PA)

California (PA)

IUP has been talking move-up for at least a couple years, and I think any of the 10,000+ enrollment PSAC members (West Chester, Kutztown, IUP) could move up with ease if they chose. The others I think would be less ready (among them California (PA), Edinboro, Lock Haven) but if they did, they'd have the coolest nicknames in D-I - the Vulcans, Fightin' Scots and Bald Eagles!

Worth noting is that Edinboro already competes in collegiate wrestling in D-I - they are one of the "grandfathered" schools that can compete in multiple classifications.

JSU02
June 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM
North Alabama has asked us to help them get into the OVC

darell1976
June 17th, 2010, 06:12 AM
UNO - University of Nebraska Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100123/SPORTS/701239833

Thats who the GWFC needs if no changes in the conference happens. That would give us the 6 teams needed for an automatic bid. UNO has had a decent football program (UND's only loss in their 2001 D2 National Title year). With Trev Alberts as AD someone who knows about Division 1 they could be an outside chance to move up.

wr70beh
June 17th, 2010, 07:41 AM
There is a big interview with there AD which is nothing but excuses for staying in DII. The sad part is that this is on their athletic website.

http://www.gvsulakers.com/links/qatimselgo.html

I do agree with them when they say that they wouldn't have any natural rivals in FCS if they decided to move. They would be pretty much on an island. I don't think hopping directly to the MAC would be an option. I think they are driven by cost and rivals. They play in a league that is based in Michigan and Ohio for the most part. I don't think that the GLIAC as a whole would even consider going en masse to FCS. Too many bottom feeders in that league for it to be feasible, although many GLIAC schools play up in hockey (MTU, LSSU to name a few).

Redbirdz
June 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
North Alabama will be coming to the OVC with help from Jacksonville State but, alas, JSU will jump to the Sunbelt before that rivalry is re-established.

Dane96
June 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
LaMoyne

Edinboro (PA)

Indiana (PA)

California (PA)

LeMoyne? Doesnt have the $$$ or a team.

Dane96
June 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
And one thing everyone is missing: the new move up requirements will probably squash 99% of these teams.

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Valdosta State - So.Con or Big South
Fort Valley State - MEAC
Virginia State - MEAC

Franks Tanks
June 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
IUP has been talking move-up for at least a couple years, and I think any of the 10,000+ enrollment PSAC members (West Chester, Kutztown, IUP) could move up with ease if they chose. The others I think would be less ready (among them California (PA), Edinboro, Lock Haven) but if they did, they'd have the coolest nicknames in D-I - the Vulcans, Fightin' Scots and Bald Eagles!

Worth noting is that Edinboro already competes in collegiate wrestling in D-I - they are one of the "grandfathered" schools that can compete in multiple classifications.

I read the PSAC board on www.d2.com and according to comments over there IUP was serious about moving up and establishing themselves as the "flagship" PA state school. They felt they just couldnt make the move due to lack of funds and faculities so it appears they will be in D2 in the near future.

West Chester is huge and has some very good sports teams. Cal is agressively marekting their athletic department and may be a canidate. Overall however the PSAC schools are in big trouble budget wise. They are cutting lots of academic programs, so a move to D-I is probably way back in the minds of PSAC school leadership.

BJuice
June 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I voted "other".

North Greenville University (SC)
Carson Newman College/Unviersity (TN)

I think both schools would be excellent additions to the Big South. Both are private school and kind of fit the mold of other Big South schools. Both already play DII football. Carson Newman has had solid football success at the DII level and North Greenville is getting there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
From the PA i'll go with Shippensburg and IUP. Both have larger endowements compared to their peers in the PSAC. They also offer better academic programs. Shippensburg has some of the highest ranked programs in the PSAC and IUP has perhaps the best graduate school. They also have solid facilities that could easily be upgraded to fit in to any FCS league.

Gil Dobie
June 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
University of Nebraska Omaha

pcola
June 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I second the Omaha vote.

By the way, this may have already been mentioned, West Florida doesn't have football and won't likely start a program. Addionally, their BB facilities are not Division I.

wr70beh
June 18th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Virginia State - MEAC

From what I understand they are planning a new 7500 seat convocation center on campus. It's obvious that they are thinking about moving up to D1, and the MEAC might slide them into WSSU's old slot. They get good crowds down there for football, and their rivalry with Norfolk State could start back up again if they decide to make the jump.

ngineer
June 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM
The PSAC schools cannot compete at D-I for all sports and only a few could be competitive in a few 'niche' sports like they already do, i.e. Edinboro and Bloomsburg in wrestling, West Chester's women (field hockey?) and perhaps the football finalists could give a good number of FCS teams a good game, but except for an occasional aberrant year, I do not see where they can be consistently competitive at that level for all sports.

Silenoz
June 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Like I said, the problem is that their administration and fanbase has no male genitalia. They're comfortable playing the Hillsdales and Tiffins and Findlays of the world.

Half of our fanbase is NOT comfortable with this

edit: eh, supposed to be a double quote

JBB
June 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Bunch of pussies, IMO.

GVSU is in a good spot. Their opening game against West Texas A&M will be nationally televised. They have a great all time play off run. They draw pretty well. Lubber is a nice stadium. Big crowd last year was about 16,500. Typical game is around 8,000. They could do it if they wanted, but they would have to spend a lot more on travel. Their conference opportunities would be limited. So, they want to keep it at a successful 10 million. Cant blame them for that. Its not just football that moves.

chrisattsu
June 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have been meaning to comment on this thread for awhile.

I used to think that Tarleton was going to be one of the next schools to move up. We were in the running for an SLC spot a couple years ago, with a couple of spots opening in the near future, it seemed like we might be on the short list.

However, with this split between the Oklahoma and Texas schools occurring, and the rules that are going into place to make it harder for D2 schools to move up, I can't see any of the Lone Star Conference schools making the move.

It is looking like they are going to get the conference down to a manageable size. Nine football playing schools (10 if they decide to keep Central Oklahoma), which will allow them to play everyone during the regular season. The West Texas Schools (Abilene, WT, Angelo) like beating up on each other and roadtrips to Tarleton and Midwestern State are not that far. From what I have read, they have no interest in playing Louisiana schools in conference.

I wonder what the SLC will do if none of the Texas schools decide that they want to move up when the time comes...

SO ILLmatic
June 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
UNC Pembroke - from a football perspective. They seem to be committed to football, are putting together decent teams, and are probably not going to get an invite from a D2 conference any time soon.

Big South would be their destination.

bjtheflamesfan
June 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM
UNC Pembroke - from a football perspective. They seem to be committed to football, are putting together decent teams, and are probably not going to get an invite from a D2 conference any time soon.

that might work...then they could be a travel partner with Gardner-Webb in other sports

JBB
June 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
There are several possibilities in the NSIC (Northern Sun). Most likely would be Duluth or Mankato. Problem for them is no conference. A lot of D2 might find themselves in that position.

WileECoyote06
June 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM

They have pretty much had an open invitation to the ciaa ever since they restarted football. They have thus far chosen to go independent in football. They have been mentioned as a possible gulf south member so that the conference doesn't get decertified.

If they don't get an invitation I think they will eventually go d1 or accept a ciaa invitation.

Go...gate
June 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Is Bellarmine starting a team or something? They have their scholarships tied up in lacrosse.

I hope Bellarmine does move up.

I remember when they used to play Notre Dame in hoops. I think they are affiliated with the Holy Cross Fathers, like the University of Portland and some others.

doolittledog
June 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
There are several possibilities in the NSIC (Northern Sun). Most likely would be Duluth or Mankato. Problem for them is no conference. A lot of D2 might find themselves in that position.

The problem with the Minnesota State schools in the NSIC is they are currently under budget cuts from the state. You won't find those schools getting additional state money for awhile.

Another problem you run into is that directional state schools are often the fall back school for kids. They grew up fans of the big state schools sports teams and are really only on their campus to get a diploma and move on. So while you might find some D2 directional state schools with 20k enrollments, their endowments, alumni giving levels, and athletic department budgets are not very high. Most of the D3 schools in Minnesota have higher endowments and annual giving than their D2 counterparts. And that is with the D3 schools having 1/10th the alumni base and no state support.

And like you say...what conference would the NSIC teams move to if they did move up? I can't think of one.

darell1976
June 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The problem with the Minnesota State schools in the NSIC is they are currently under budget cuts from the state. You won't find those schools getting additional state money for awhile.

Another problem you run into is that directional state schools are often the fall back school for kids. They grew up fans of the big state schools sports teams and are really only on their campus to get a diploma and move on. So while you might find some D2 directional state schools with 20k enrollments, their endowments, alumni giving levels, and athletic department budgets are not very high. Most of the D3 schools in Minnesota have higher endowments and annual giving than their D2 counterparts. And that is with the D3 schools having 1/10th the alumni base and no state support.

And like you say...what conference would the NSIC teams move to if they did move up? I can't think of one.

What about the Great West? With North and South Dakota basically stuck there for awhile, we could be playing our old NCC rivals in Omaha, Mankato, and Duluth.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Late to the game, any talk of Valdosta State?

TheBisonator
June 19th, 2010, 10:35 PM
What about the Great West? With North and South Dakota basically stuck there for awhile, we could be playing our old NCC rivals in Omaha, Mankato, and Duluth.

South Dakota joins the Summit in 377 days.

For football though, they (and you) may be in the GWFC for a while. I don't see UNO moving up, though. They can't even give away tickets for their football games on Omaha radio stations. Their basketball attendances are pretty pathetic as well. I would rather take both USD and UND in the Summit before UNO.

UCAMonkey
June 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM
University of Central Oklahoma

Northwest Missouri State

coover
June 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM
A small school, Humboldt State, may have to move to FCS for their football program to continue to exist. They are the ONLY D II football team in the entire State of California. Unfortunately, the small population of Arcata, and the fact that you can't get to Arcata from anywhere (except, perhaps Eureka or Blue Lake), make it unlikely that they will be able to make the move.

Unfortunately, I forecast an end to D II in all of California, and probably, an eventual end to FCS in California (which presently has only 4 teams -- U San Diego, Cal Poly, U Cal Davis, and Cal State Sacramento). Cal Poly will go to FBS or end their football program while San Diego will be hard pressed to continue in the Pioneer League. UC Davis will follow Cal Poly into the FBS or end their football program. Sacramento will probably remain happy in the Big Sky, though I have to wonder how the FBS shakeup will effect it. Will the Big Sky remain a viable Football League after they lose the Montana schools to FBS? I really doubt it.

doolittledog
June 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
A small school, Humboldt State, may have to move to FCS for their football program to continue to exist. They are the ONLY D II football team in the entire State of California. Unfortunately, the small population of Arcata, and the fact that you can't get to Arcata from anywhere (except, perhaps Eureka or Blue Lake), make it unlikely that they will be able to make the move.

Unfortunately, I forecast an end to D II in all of California, and probably, an eventual end to FCS in California (which presently has only 4 teams -- U San Diego, Cal Poly, U Cal Davis, and Cal State Sacramento). Cal Poly will go to FBS or end their football program while San Diego will be hard pressed to continue in the Pioneer League. UC Davis will follow Cal Poly into the FBS or end their football program. Sacramento will probably remain happy in the Big Sky, though I have to wonder how the FBS shakeup will effect it. Will the Big Sky remain a viable Football League after they lose the Montana schools to FBS? I really doubt it.

Part of the problem is the travel out west. And many California schools have dropped football in the past because of travel. But, if you just put a bunch of California schools together they would pretty much never need to leave the state.

You already have...
UC Davis
Cal Poly SLO
Sacramento
San Diego

Move Humboldt St up to FCS.
Drop San Jose St down to FCS.

Have these schools reinstate football or add it.
Cal St Fullerton
Long Beach St
Cal Poly Pomona
Cal St Domingues Hills

That would be a nice looking FCS conference and you wouldn't need a lot of travel. They could even institute a rule saying there could be no out of state recruiting to further save on costs.

It would work out well for Humboldt St in moving up from D2. It would probably be a good thing for San Jose St to move down. I think it would only help those schools with no football program to have something for those campuses to rally around.

daneboy
June 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Besides the schools mentioned above, Pacific, UC Santa Barbara, St. Marys and Santa Clara are other schools that have played and dropped football at some division 1 level. One good idea would be to have the Big West bring it back at the FCS level. With Poly and Davis already playing, if UCSB, Long Beach, Fullerton could somehow get their teams back, the league could add one or more football only members and then the Big West would have an auto bid. I think this would be great as travel would be by bus basically, and some good rivalries would be created...but, don't hold your breath...

busybee14
June 20th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I voted other. But I do think North Alabama and Valdosta could handle the move and be able to compete.I would love to see UNA in the OVC and Valdosta in the SoCon
I think Abeliene Christian and Carson Newman also would be good teams for a move.

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
University of Central Oklahoma

Northwest Missouri State

Northwest won't be moving up. They are the perfect D2 school and will probably stay that way for a long time.

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Northwest won't be moving up. They are the perfect D2 school and will probably stay that way for a long time.

Agreed. NWMSU is almost like the poster child of what an optimal D2 school should be like. They'll stay there for the duration.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Besides the schools mentioned above, Pacific, UC Santa Barbara, St. Marys and Santa Clara are other schools that have played and dropped football at some division 1 level. One good idea would be to have the Big West bring it back at the FCS level. With Poly and Davis already playing, if UCSB, Long Beach, Fullerton could somehow get their teams back, the league could add one or more football only members and then the Big West would have an auto bid. I think this would be great as travel would be by bus basically, and some good rivalries would be created...but, don't hold your breath...

I understand there is some serious interest in Pacific bringing back football. Having said that, I don't see any way St. Mary's, USCB or Santa Clara bring in FCS football. UCSB and (correct me if I'm wrong) Santa Clara both dropped football rather than play in FCS, and St Mary's is being seen as the poster child as why to drop football (with all the incorrect arguments being raised). Unless there's been a sea change at all three of those schools, they're not coming.

darell1976
June 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
South Dakota joins the Summit in 377 days.

For football though, they (and you) may be in the GWFC for a while. I don't see UNO moving up, though. They can't even give away tickets for their football games on Omaha radio stations. Their basketball attendances are pretty pathetic as well. I would rather take both USD and UND in the Summit before UNO.

Thats what I was referring too. Since USD is in the Summit and UND is knocking on the Summits door (with the nickname issue gone the door is opening) I see UNO joining the GWFC a good thing and joining the Great West in other sports an opportunity to take place the departing Dakota's. I see UNO with potential they have a great AD in Trev Alberts, they have a fantastic hockey facility, football has been good in D2, other sports are questionable (but then UND has nothing to brag about in men's basketball). Its just a thought.

JBB
June 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
There are several schools that may have opportunities to move up. UNO would be one of them. That may be more of a factor than ability or strength of programs. UNO would probably experience the same thing NDSU did. Attendance goes up when the level of competition rises. For UNO budget would be a hurdle. Well attended sporting events make it easier to find the money otherwise attendance might not figure in too much in a D2 to FCS/D! move.

darell1976
June 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
There are several schools that may have opportunities to move up. UNO would be one of them. That may be more of a factor than ability or strength of programs. UNO would probably experience the same thing NDSU did. Attendance goes up when the level of competition rises. For UNO budget would be a hurdle. Well attended sporting events make it easier to find the money otherwise attendance might not figure in too much in a D2 to FCS/D! move.

I wonder how their recruiting would be if they went to D1 with the big dog in the Cornhuskers only about 50 miles away, especially in football.

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
I wonder how their recruiting would be if they went to D1 with the big dog in the Cornhuskers only about 50 miles away, especially in football.

I honestly don't think UNO could do it, because 1) It's basically a commuter school and 2) Almost nobody in Omaha gives two shrimps about UNO football or basketball. Remember Sapp Field House?? They still play hoops there. I don't think representatives from the Summit League would be too impressed with the setup they have with that. Sapp basically looks like my old s**tty HS gym. Besides, if the Summit decides to go to 12 in the future, I truly believe schools 11 and 12 would be UND and Arkansas-Little Rock. UALR is looking to get out of the Sun Belt, and has been in talks with the Summit recently. And with the fact that a DII school needs to have an invite from a DI conference, the Summit wouldn't invite them. And the Missouri Valley certainly wouldn't even want their phone number.

JBB
June 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Its been a while since Ive heard any move up talk from UNO but about a year ago they were rumbling about it.

Ive never been to Sapp but here is a look at the place:

http://www.omavs.com/images/2008/8/19/sapp_mbb0708.jpg

With a current capacity of 3,500, the Lee and Helene Sapp Fieldhouse has been the site of six national collegiate tournaments amid thousands of athletic events. Named in honor of two longtime UNO Athletics supporters, Maverick basketball hosted the largest crowd in Fieldhouse history in 1979 with 5,200 fans. The Fieldhouse is the home arena for volleyball, men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling and indoor women’s track.

Caniglia is a nice stadium. It only seats 9,500 but a lot of FCS schools have average attendance far less than that.

http://www.omavs.com/images/2008/8/19/Caniglia_Field.jpg

I have to believe if they wanted to move up they could. They have D1 hockey. They also have a pretty good D2 set up.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
UNO would need a conference invite. Who would invite them?? The Summit?? Extremely unlikely. The Valley?? Um, no.

MoreheadEagle
June 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Are we just talking football here? If not Northern Kentucky seems pretty likely to move up. I wouldn't mind seeing North Alabama in the OVC either.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Are we just talking football here? If not Northern Kentucky seems pretty likely to move up. I wouldn't mind seeing North Alabama in the OVC either.

Northern Kentucky's new basketball arena puts almost all of the rest of ours to shame.

http://www.nku.edu/vt/athletics/lockerroom/

bkrownd
June 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
No mention of Saint Cloud State or Minnesota-Duluth? I have no idea if they're interested, but these are mid-sized schools which both have LOTS of room to grow.

(personally I'm against the flow of schools out of division 2, but had to mention these...)

darell1976
June 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
UNO would need a conference invite. Who would invite them?? The Summit?? Extremely unlikely. The Valley?? Um, no.

The Great West could invite them.

doolittledog
June 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
There was a mention a little earlier in this thread. Basically, the state of Minnesota is facing budget cuts and the state schools are getting a smaller piece of the the pie. Plus, though some of the state schools in Minnesota have decent sized enrollments, you could almost call most of them commuter schools. Kids show up for 4 years to earn a degree and that is about it. Their football teams get outdrawn by the D3 MIAC conference in Minnesota. Most of the state schools in Minnesota have very low endowments and not a lot of state aid. The state makes sure the U of Minnesota gets most all the attention in the state. Just like Wisconsin makes sure Wisconsin-Madison gets all the attention and they make the other Wisconsin state schools play as D3.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
The Great West could invite them.

Great West is not an AQ conference. The NCAA will not allow a DII school to be go to DI if the Great West invites them.

darell1976
June 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Great West is not an AQ conference. The NCAA will not allow a DII school to be go to DI if the Great West invites them.

I didn't know you had to be a AQ conference. Well that leaves that option out.

BearsCountry
June 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Northern Kentucky's new basketball arena puts almost all of the rest of ours to shame.

http://www.nku.edu/vt/athletics/lockerroom/

Not ours. xnodx

kperk014
June 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I voted other. But I do think North Alabama and Valdosta could handle the move and be able to compete.I would love to see UNA in the OVC and Valdosta in the SoCon
I think Abeliene Christian and Carson Newman also would be good teams for a move.

If we (North Alabama) move up, the OVC would be my preference. We are just a hop skip and a jump from the middle Tennessee schools and it's only slightly farther to Murray, Ky. UNA fans travel pretty well even when we have to drive over 400 miles to the Arkansas schools or Valdosta, Ga.

It would be great if JSU would nix the move to FBS. The reason I like FCS is you still have a shot at a National Championship in football. You lose that when you move to FBS because let's face it, unless you are a Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky type of school, you really don't stand a chance to pull off a basketball championship. Of course I'm only talking about the 2 major sports that actually produce revenue. A championship for the rifle team is good but doesn't really inspire a parade down Main Street.

TheBisonator
June 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Not ours. xnodx

Yes, but it puts ours to shame. Oh hell, a lot of HS gyms put our place to shame...xbangx

JBB
June 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM

Obviously, thats an underlying premise of any move up right now including FCS to FBS. Its a point Ive been making on several threads: the most likely move ups are the schools that have the opportunity. For Schools like NDSU it just might be their ambition is held in check by their opportunities.

As far as UNO goes I dont know if they would move up if given the chance. I think they are capable of making the move and their facilities are very comparable to say UND as far as capacity.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Obviously, thats an underlying premise of any move up right now including FCS to FBS. Its a point Ive been making on several threads: the most likely move ups are the schools that have the opportunity. For Schools like NDSU it just might be their ambition is held in check by their opportunities.

As far as UNO goes I dont know if they would move up if given the chance. I think they are capable of making the move and their facilities are very comparable to say UND as far as capacity.

Football:
UNO 9500 UND 12,283
Basketball:
UNO 3500 UND 3300
Baseball:
UNO: approx 200 UND 2000
Hockey:
UNO 14,700 UND 11,500

Right on the money JBB!!