PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
* Estimated 80,000+ alums in the greater Houston area from both schools combined

* Lone Star Sports and Entertainment is going to hammer out the marketing plan over the next year. According to SFA SID, "you'll see/hear ads for this game at every event that goes on in Reliant"

* First game at Reliant is Oct. 23, 2010.

* Tickets go on sale on November 16 ... they will range in price from $15 to $35. SFA is including ticket in season ticket package, guessing SHSU will do the same.

* SFA SID said the goal will be 26k, which is what the lower bowl holds. That is a very realistic goal IMO...

* Texans president Jamey Rootes and SFA head coach JC Harper each were athletes at Clemson and that is where it began - started talking this summer.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Press release...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/20/sam-houston-state-and-stephen-f-austin-t-2010?blog=2

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Press conference video...

http://www.gobearkats.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&id=654774&oemid=19900

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM
Stories from the two papers that cover SFA and SHSU like none other...

Huntsville Item (Cody Stark)
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_294002215.html

Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel (Kevin Gore)
http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2009/10/20/sfa_sam_houston.html

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Guess this is the promotional poster...

http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T%40S/2009/images/PINEY-WOODS-SHSU_000.jpg

I would almost be surprised if this didn't turn into a doubleheader.

Which teams would be involved...???

Would TXST and LU be possible?

Sly Fox
October 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I don't know who else would be playing but I do know Lone Star's tendencies in how they run promotions.

JaxSinfonian
October 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Interesting concept. Pitting two rivals against eachother like this ain't a bad idea.

Before the 2008 season we kept hearing that JSU was in talks with a promoter for a Jax State-Georgia Southern game at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Because we were unable to move another game, the deal didn't work out.

I don't know how well that game would have drawn, as there's not a lot of history between the teams. Georgia Southern has plenty of alums in the metro area, of course, and we've got our share, and J'ville is closer to Atlanta than Statesboro is. 15,000-20,000?

Looks like the SFA-SHS game is in a much better position to make this concept work.

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Article in the Huntsville Item with fans and alums weighing in on the pros and cons...

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_298005414.html?keyword=topstory

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Houstonian editorial on the subject...I think that many of the things that Lotis is worried about losing (as far as in the parking lot) are not entirely accurate. Sure, it will cost money to park at Reliant - but I don't see the other things leaving (people tailgating, dance teams, that car, etc).

http://media.www.houstonianonline.com/media/storage/paper229/news/2009/10/27/Sports/What-Are.We.Losing-3814249.shtml

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Suites are limited at Reliant Stadium per the SFA release...

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - A limited number of suites remain for Stephen F. Austin's annual rivalry game against Sam Houston State, which will be played at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas. The cost of the suites is $50 per ticket and each suite seats between 16 and 22 guests. Parking, food and beverage is not included in the price.

For more information fans can contact SFA assistant athletics director John Branch at (936) 468-4540, or by e-mail at [email protected].

"Suite sales have been very brisk and only a few remain at this point," said Branch. "Fans wishing to purchase a suite need to do so as quickly as possible before there are none left."

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061510aaa.html

3rd Coast Tiger
June 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
What are the "attendance analyst" expecting for this new "classic"?

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
SHSU is doing a series on the Battle of the Piney Woods...

Victory over Jacks wraps up first conference title in 1930
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954559

"Battle of the Piney Woods" has long history
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204954058

The Bearkat athletic department created a Facebook page too...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Battle-of-the-Piney-Woods/125157604179514

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
What are the "attendance analyst" expecting for this new "classic"?

I am pretty sure the goal is 20-25k for the first year of the game.

How does that number look in Reliant Stadium? Saw that the Labor Day Classic drew 21,775 in 2009 and 20,444 in 2008. Does the LDC limit the seat selection to the bottom area and suites?

Here's a ticket map...shows only lower bowl tickets (and suites) for sale.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204832242

TSUalum05
June 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM
TT are you going? I may go to this game...

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
TT are you going? I may go to this game...

According to the composite schedule, Oct. 23 is very do-able. We'll see.

The slate is still not complete at this time, awaiting some more information, but tentatively - yes. I'm also available presently on Oct. 9 for SHSU @ Nicholls. I prefer the trip to Hammond over Thibodaux, but it is, what it is...

TSUalum05
June 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
According to the composite schedule, Oct. 23 is very do-able. We'll see.

The slate is still not complete at this time, awaiting some more information, but tentatively - yes. I'm also available presently on Oct. 9 for SHSU @ Nicholls. I prefer the trip to Hammond over Thibodaux, but it is, what it is...

Hope to meet up if you make it...

GeauxLions94
June 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The game has been picked up as part of the Southland Conference Television Network

Southland Conference Television Schedule (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204960972)

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
TT don't you normally criticize neutral site Classics?

I criticize the Legacy Classic for potential obstructing the MEAC's participation in the playoffs...

I criticize the fact that neutral site classics are counted as part of the SWAC's football attendance, thereby giving them the attendance "championship"...

I criticize schools who play a very limited (if not - a single home game) home slate as part of their schedule in wake of playing neutral site classics...SHSU has four home games this year and will play five (if not six) most years. The Piney Woods game came into play late, giving us just four home games (it is our year to host the game) - but at least the Kats do play Lamar (not a bad drive).

Neutral site classics can be a smart idea, if executed properly...will miss the Battle of the Piney Woods on campus, but nonetheless - this is a four-year experiment. If it works out, great. If not, we do have that fine tradition of great Piney Woods games in Huntsville and Nacogdoches.

AxeEmJacks
June 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I will be attending as I am now officially a 'Jack. See you all there. Hopefully our undefeated record will be on the line. :D

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I will be attending as I am now officially a 'Jack. See you all there. Hopefully our undefeated record will be on the line. :D

I'd be impressed if you guys entered that game with an undefeated record based on previous games on the slate against A&M and UNI...

SHSU and SFA have a history of ruining things for the other, regardless if one is nationally ranked and the other...not so much! xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Battle of the Piney Woods Cl***ic

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
You can now choose your seat online...several groups have already got blocks in place.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204964747

3rd Coast Tiger
June 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
You can now choose your seat online...several groups have already got blocks in place.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204964747

I have a coworker that's a Bearkat alum, he's promised me a couple of tickets that he's getting for free. xnodx

TSUalum05
June 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have a coworker that's a Bearkat alum, he's promised me a couple of tickets that he's getting for free. xnodx

See if I can get one too. I'll ride with you or we can meet at TSU or something.

Talking about tickets, I think I'm going to get season tickets this year for the first time instead of paying at the gate...

Panther88
June 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'm going to get season tickets this year for the first time instead of paying at the gate...

HELLO! xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

This is how you support a program, folx.

JohnStOnge
June 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
The last time the two played at Sam Houston reported attendance was 10,134. That's not bad for FCS football. But y'all appear to be talking about trying to get 25 or 26 K attendance. It'll be in the Houston metro area but Huntsville is in the Houston metro area. Or at the least it's close. Why is it that they think having it in Reliant stadium will more than double attendance?

I know I'm a curmudgeon but I gotta say I'll be shocked if they get 20+ K attendance for this.

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
The last time the two played at Sam Houston reported attendance was 10,134. That's not bad for FCS football. But y'all appear to be talking about trying to get 25 or 26 K attendance. It'll be in the Houston metro area but Huntsville is in the Houston metro area. Or at the least it's close. Why is it that they think having it in Reliant stadium will more than double attendance?

I know I'm a curmudgeon but I gotta say I'll be shocked if they get 20+ K attendance for this.

25k is the goal. Not sure if it is attainable...

Last year's game in Nacogdoches drew really well (they did their typical put SHSU as their Homecoming game - which is just ridiculous since it is a draw on its own).

I'd be interested to see what we can, how many students actually makes it to the game and how much having the backing of Lone Star Sports and Entertainment bolsters the game.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Everyone wanted to talk about the Battle of the Piney Woods at SLC Media Day...

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204971749

Sly Fox
July 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think the general sentiment is that Houston is ground zero for both the SHSU & SFA fan bases. There are plenty of folks in Houston who will go catch their alma mater playing their heated rivalry right in their own backyard. Its tough to convince these same folks it is worth the lengthy drive to Huntsville or Nacogdoches. It is certainly a gamble but I get the feeling that the Lone Star folks have reasonable expectations considering all of the other things they bring into the facility.

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I think the general sentiment is that Houston is ground zero for both the SHSU & SFA fan bases. There are plenty of folks in Houston who will go catch their alma mater playing their heated rivalry right in their own backyard. Its tough to convince these same folks it is worth the lengthy drive to Huntsville or Nacogdoches. It is certainly a gamble but I get the feeling that the Lone Star folks have reasonable expectations considering all of the other things they bring into the facility.

Are you under the impression that LSSE is picking up the Reliant 'rental' costs? I read on TSPN where they were discussing how Reliant has essentially 'pimped' the LDC participants, but it was LSSE who reached out to SHSU and SFA...

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM
AD said last night at a reception that he would like to see 26k, which would be a sellout of the bottom section of Reliant Stadium.

I am curious to know how well SFA season ticket sales are going this year, since they are expecting a big year and it could really help with the attendance of the game..

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
SHSU leads SFA and the Texans as far as tickets sold to the Battle of the Piney Woods...

Chris Keeney from the Lone Star Sports and Entertainment group and the Houston Texans spoke about the Battle of the Piney Woods which will be at Reliant Stadium this year. He does a great job every year with the Texas Bowl and this summer with the Major League Soccer All-Stars. Houston welcomed legendary soccer club Manchester United and LSSE put on a big-time event that drew more than 70,000 fans. Having grown up in Houston I am amazed at that crowd for a soccer game. Maybe they thought it was a "football" game instead of a "futbol" game. Either way we are proud to be associated with LSSE and appreciate the high expectations they have for our game..

I want to take this time to remind you to purchase tickets early for the Battle of the Piney Woods. I know there is a perception you can just get them the week of the game, but we are encouraging everyone to buy early. Right now we are leading SFA and the Texans in tickets sold and I want to keep it that way.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204974929

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Suite deal!

Bearkat fans can view the 85th "Battle of the Piney Woods" at Reliant Stadium Oct. 23 in luxury suite comfort.

Suites at Reliant are available for the Sam Houston vs. Stephen F. Austin showdown which kicks off at 2 p.m. that Saturday. Suite tickets are $250 per person or $4,000 for an entire suite. Each suite seats 16 fans.

All suites are on the 200 level at Reliant between the 20-yard lines on the Sam Houston side of the field.

Seeing the "Battle of the Piney Woods" in a Reliant suite includes many benefits besides the luxury of the facility. Suite ticket holders receive complimentary parking beside Reliant Stadium (a $25 value), food and beverage service in the suite, a game program, and an invitation to Sam Houston State University President Dana Gibson's "Go Bearkats" pre-game party in the Tejas Suite.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204976491

AxeEmJacks
August 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'll be there. I can't find any information as to the ticket sales for SFA though.

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I'll be there. I can't find any information as to the ticket sales for SFA though.

Click on that big 'Battle of the Piney Woods' graphic down the right side of the page...

Or click here - http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/battle_of_the_piney_woods.html

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Got to give props to LSSE...

The SHSU-SFA game has been promoted at both Houston Texans games thus far on the video board...

SHSU's AD did several interviews with local media stations yesterday, including a joint interview with the SFA head football coach on 610 AM (Texans flagship station) prior to the Texans-Bucs game.

SHSU-SFA game is featured on the rotating videoboard outside of Reliant Stadium...

Glad to see LSSE and the Texans getting behind the game and trying to put butts in the seats! Glad SFA, SHSU are not paying rent on Reliant Stadium either! ;)

AxeEmJacks
September 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Good to hear TexasTerror. My girlfriend and I, both SFA students, almost died when we drove by Reliant and saw the ad for the game.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Good to hear TexasTerror. My girlfriend and I, both SFA students, almost died when we drove by Reliant and saw the ad for the game.

The publicity has been great. SHSU, SFA and LSSE have been working hard to publicize this game and I am optimistic that there will be a turnout similar to the goal(s) set forth by the three entities.

Does the Labor Day Classic - between Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M - get publicity during Texans games and on the videoboard outside the stadium? I haven't been back home to Houston since June, so wouldn't know. They are not involved with LSSE like SFA/SHSU are, plus I believe they pay rent to get into the stadium (3rd Coast can correct me if I am wrong).

3rd Coast Tiger
September 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
The publicity has been great. SHSU, SFA and LSSE have been working hard to publicize this game and I am optimistic that there will be a turnout similar to the goal(s) set forth by the three entities.

Does the Labor Day Classic - between Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M - get publicity during Texans games and on the videoboard outside the stadium? I haven't been back home to Houston since June, so wouldn't know. They are not involved with LSSE like SFA/SHSU are, plus I believe they pay rent to get into the stadium (3rd Coast can correct me if I am wrong).

Yes, there is LDC publicity and commercials ran at the pre-season Texans games.

Every year, the host school absorbs the rental expenses for Reliant Stadium and marketing; now in that same vein, they retain 100% of all tickets sales revenue.

Since the LSSE as you say TT, "works hard to publicize the game" and cover the rental expense, LSSE gets their costs covered by taking the gate then sharing residuals between the two schools.

Last figure I received was the average cost of tickets sold for 11,000 units was the breakeven to cover expenses for the LDC and quickly looking at attendance numbers, the LDC easily covers that.

End result: Advantage Labor Day Classic

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I'd be curious how much SHSU and SFA reap from this series of games... and do we know how much PVAMU, TSU make for the game?

The best part is that SHSU and SFA do not have to expend too many of their own resources to plug the games. The LSSE does most of it.

Both schools have "deeper" pockets and more staff to rely on than TSU, PVAMU. Can't imagine how much this game stretches thin the TSU, PVAMU athletic departments in their respective hosting years.

And do we know how much PVAMU, TSU make for the game? The attendance has ranged from just under 17,000 in 2007 to around 21,000 in 2009. If SHSU, SFA get 22-24k - how much will each make?

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
FYI, for comparison purposes - the Labor Day Classic drew an announced attendance of 22,062 fans. I think that is an attainable goal for the Battle of the Piney Woods. Would love if SHSU, SFA and LSSE were able to reach that number before walk-ups.

TSUalum05
September 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
FYI, for comparison purposes - the Labor Day Classic drew an announced attendance of 22,062 fans. I think that is an attainable goal for the Battle of the Piney Woods. Would love if SHSU, SFA and LSSE were able to reach that number before walk-ups.

When those numbers were announced on TSPN I was shocked. Last year's attendendance was just over 21k and this year was the most I've seen in years at the LDC. Prety much then entire lower bow was filled except one of the endzones and there were thousands walking around the concourse.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
When those numbers were announced on TSPN I was shocked. Last year's attendendance was just over 21k and this year was the most I've seen in years at the LDC. Prety much then entire lower bow was filled except one of the endzones and there were thousands walking around the concourse.

The lower bowl is 24-26k, I believe. Am I correct?

I think that number is what has come to the Piney Woods' goal, because they want to fill the lower bowl. And don't you guys also use the club level and suites for your donors? I know SHSU and SFA are... so not sure how that impacts your attendance and our goal.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
LSSE has fetched and gotten HEB to hop on board...

H-E-B is proud to be the presenting sponsor of the "Tailgater of the Game" contest for the "Battle of the Piney Woods"showdown.

H-E-B Tailgater of the Game judges will be roaming the Reliant Stadium parking lots trying to find the best tailgate setup at the Battle of the Piney Woods on October 23rd.

Fans are being challenged to make H-E-B a strong feature in presenting their tailgate experience to the judges who will be looking for team spirit, food (exclusive H-E-B presence is a must!), originality and hospitality in their search to crown the H-E-B "Tailgater of the Game".

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205002338

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Sam Houston fans are ready to take the challenge, get the creative juices flowing, and show the H-E-B judges a great tailgate experience! The winning tailgate will be recognized during the game on the video board and will win an H-E-B gift card.

Does anyone know how much the H-E-B gift card is for?

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know how much the H-E-B gift card is for?

Not sure...

Quick look shows that H-E-B does that at numerous other game sites. Whether it's a big deal or not, just happy to see more and more promotions surrounding this game and that there's an effort being shown by the two partner schools and LSSE to grow this thing up. They are not just throwing into a stadium and having the two teams play...

3rd Coast Tiger
September 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Not sure...

Quick look shows that H-E-B does that at numerous other game sites. Whether it's a big deal or not, just happy to see more and more promotions surrounding this game and that there's an effort being shown by the two partner schools and LSSE to grow this thing up. They are not just throwing into a stadium and having the two teams play...

Yeah, you're right. I hate when two teams are just thrown in a stadium to play.

Just to name a few:

State Farm Insurance
Magic 102FM
97.9 the Boxx
Houston Texans
Unity National Bank
Fiesta Foods

had plenty of gifts, prizes and giveaways for the spectators of the Labor Day Classic (I know I am forgetting a few more but those are who I thought of right off the top of my head).

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, you're right. I hate when two teams are just thrown in a stadium to play.

Was not a reference in any way to the LDC.

More a reference to those amongst both fan bases that were not sure what would happen with this game, if it was going to properly promoted, draw well, etc. The LSSE are making a very strong effort to promote the crap out of the game. Props to them.

SFA 93
September 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/battle_of_the_piney_woods.html

mikebigg
September 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Interested to see what the attendance number will be... Who is the "home team"? Any thoughts on whether the attendance should be included in figuring the home team's yearly attendance numbers?

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Interested to see what the attendance number will be... Who is the "home team"? Any thoughts on whether the attendance should be included in figuring the home team's yearly attendance numbers?

It is a neutral site game and the attendance would not be included in the home team's yearly attendance, just like the case is for the SWAC. If you recall, the attendance counts for the conference, not the school. Hence why the schools from the SWAC do not rank No. 1, but the league as a whole does because it gets boosted by the neutral site games.. the home team would have been SHSU this year though.

I think the attendance will be just over 20k, which is a good start for the game and comparable to the Texas Southern-Prairie View game.

mikebigg
September 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
It is a neutral site game and the attendance would not be included in the home team's yearly attendance, just like the case is for the SWAC. If you recall, the attendance counts for the conference, not the school. Hence why the schools from the SWAC do not rank No. 1, but the league as a whole does because it gets boosted by the neutral site games.. the home team would have been SHSU this year though.

I think the attendance will be just over 20k, which is a good start for the game and comparable to the Texas Southern-Prairie View game.

Will the game be televised?

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Will the game be televised?

Yes. The Southland TV Network has picked up the game - so it will be on that affiliate network that covers the entire SLC footprint - plus available on SLC NOW (the online video home of the SLC), in addition to a nationally telecast spot on FCS (tape delay).

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Great idea... gets more SHSU people out at the game and ties the past to the present.

Sam Houston football lettermen who have purchased tickets to the "Battle of the Piney Woods" gridiron classic between the Bearkats and Stephen F. Austin are invited to participate in a special on-field pregame ceremony.

The Kats and the Jacks rivalry goes "big time" this year as the game will be played in Reliant Stadium in Houston on Saturday October 23.

As veterans of past "Battles of the Piney Woods," football lettermen will form a human tunnel to welcome the 2010 Bearkat team on to the field for the 2 p.m. opening kickoff.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205009240

Additionally, word is that SHSU has pretty much sold its premium tickets and Bearkats have begun 'infiltrating' SFA's premium tickets. SHSU has also sold more tickets for the game than SFA, so fans are going to the SFA side of things to get better tickets as far as yardline...

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Just rec'd word via Facebook that the 1,000 student tickets that were being sold at $5 a piece are GONE! That means six percent of our student body already has tickets (if not more). Hope the number grows!

Student tickets for the Battle of the Piney Woods through Student Activities are sold out. Athletics will be selling BOTPW tickets Monday-Thursday on the Mall at center campus as part of our regular distribution of Homecoming tickets from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. You can also get $15 & $20 tickets through the Athletic Ticket Office, at www.gobearkats.com and by calling (936) 294-1729.

AxeEmJacks
October 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
SHSU can be as loud as they want as they lose...

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
SHSU can be as loud as they want as they lose...

I'm still predicting SFA to win...

Though it's hard not to enjoy when SHSU outdraws SFA at a neutral site game (see SLC basketball). Perhaps the large SHSU crowd will help the football team do what the hoops team did. One game at a time...

Let's keep promoting this game on both ends and hopefully we'll sell out the bottom bowl!

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM
They still expect to sell out the game - 9k tickets left. Apparently premium seats are gone and all 1,000 students that were donated (purchased by an anonymous source) for students were all bought up for $5 a piece.

With the 2010 installment of the Battle of the Piney Woods only eight days away, officials from Lone Star Sports & Entertainment announced that less than 9,000 tickets remain available. The annual rivalry game between Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin will be played at Reliant Stadium at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 23.

More than 16,000 tickets have already been sold for the game. Capacity is limited to Reliant Stadium's lower bowl, which seats approximately 26,000. Tickets range in price from $15 to $35 and are available through all TicketMaster outlets and through special packages by calling 832-667-2390.

"We've been extremely impressed with the way sales have gone so far," said Chris Keeney, general manager of Lone Star Sports & Entertainment. "Bearkat and Lumberjack fans have a great deal of pride and passion for their schools and have proven that with this game. We expect to sell the game out with 26,000 fans, which will make next Saturday an extremely special day."

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205012694

AxeEmJacks
October 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just bought our three. I will definitely be there. We didn't buy student tickets because they didn't seem to let us know that they were five bucks. Oh well.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Just bought our three. I will definitely be there. We didn't buy student tickets because they didn't seem to let us know that they were five bucks. Oh well.

That was a SHSU deal... not sure if SFA had something similar.

We had an alum or business buy 1,000 tickets and they sold them back to the students for $5.

AxeEmJacks
October 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
That was a SHSU deal... not sure if SFA had something similar.

We had an alum or business buy 1,000 tickets and they sold them back to the students for $5.

Ah. I read that wrong. Thanks.

purplejacks
October 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I got 16 seats and really look forward to this game. Gotta say, couple of weeks ago really thought this would be a blow out, but not any more.

Harper and his coaches better work Over Time getting ready for the Kats, they are on a roll.

For everyone who supports one team or the other, get your butts to Reliant and yell really LOUD!!!!

This is the start of something BIG...

SEE EVERYONE THERE.. YOU TO - TT

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Not sure about others, but I am comparing the expected turnout from SHSU v SFA to that of Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M. TSU-PV has the advantage because they do this annually and have the game on Labor Day weekend, right at the beginning of the season (before either can call it a season). Right now, we're approaching (if not surpassed) 20,000 tickets according to several reports - so we're on the mark for their average attendance of the last five years. A 26k sellout would be HUGE!

TEXAS SOUTHERN vs PRAIRIE VIEW (LABOR DAY CLASSIC) ATTENDANCE

2010: 22,062
2009: 21,775
2008: 20,444
2007: 16,827
2006: 19,003

Avg (last 5 years): 20,022

3rd Coast Tiger
October 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure about others, but I am comparing the expected turnout from SHSU v SFA to that of Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M. TSU-PV has the advantage because they do this annually and have the game on Labor Day weekend, right at the beginning of the season (before either can call it a season). Right now, we're approaching (if not surpassed) 20,000 tickets according to several reports - so we're on the mark for their average attendance of the last five years. A 26k sellout would be HUGE!

TEXAS SOUTHERN vs PRAIRIE VIEW (LABOR DAY CLASSIC) ATTENDANCE

2010: 22,062
2009: 21,775
2008: 20,444
2007: 16,827
2006: 19,003

Avg (last 5 years): 20,022

And I thought you would have posted this in your initial post. xrolleyesx

TSUalum05
October 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Not sure about others, but I am comparing the expected turnout from SHSU v SFA to that of Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M. TSU-PV has the advantage because they do this annually and have the game on Labor Day weekend, right at the beginning of the season (before either can call it a season).

Apples and Oranges. Are you determining it to be a success if it out draws the LDC?

The advantage is for the new kid on the block. Most likely the first year will be the year with the most fans in attendance because this is a new concept for the two Universities and the alumni in the region. One of my best friends is an alumnus of SFA and hasn’t been to a game in years. Even while being a student he didn’t attend many games. However, he will be attending this game simply because it’s in Houston. The 2nd and 3rd years will separate the die hard fans from the fans who will attend just because the game is in Houston such as the first year.

Another thing, the game atmosphere is completely different when playing in a stadium with that capacity when its not full. Compared to on campus games, it’s not as fan friendly because there are so many empty seats.

I hope you guys get 40k or something; TT, will you be in attendance?

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Apples and Oranges. Are you determining it to be a success if it out draws the LDC?

To me, having more fans than the LDC will say a lot to me for a first year game...

The advantage is for the new kid on the block. Most likely the first year will be the year with the most fans in attendance because this is a new concept for the two Universities and the alumni in the region. One of my best friends is an alumnus of SFA and hasn’t been to a game in years. Even while being a student he didn’t attend many games. However, he will be attending this game simply because it’s in Houston. The 2nd and 3rd years will separate the die hard fans from the fans who will attend just because the game is in Houston such as the first year.

There has been tons of publicity for this game. The LSSE has done a phenomenal job working with the schools and alumni associations. If the SLC was smart, they would try to sell their basketball packages to both schools - since both should do well this year - for the tournament in Katy, Texas - while they are at it!

It also does not hurt that both teams are 2-0 in SLC play with SFA nationally ranked and SHSU coming in with four straight wins.

I still think the LDC has the advantage because having a tradition and something fans have come to expect looms large. HBCU fans are also used to neutral site, Classic games.

If the BOPW continues to outdraw the LDC for the next few years, than we've come a long way in establishing a profitable game at a neutral site venue...

Another thing, the game atmosphere is completely different when playing in a stadium with that capacity when its not full. Compared to on campus games, it’s not as fan friendly because there are so many empty seats.

SHSU-SFA games typically draw very well - I'd be curious how the atmopshere will be with the entire bottom bowl full - since that's what it should be.

For the LDC - do they just cap it at the bottom bowl? Or how does seating work?

I hope you guys get 40k or something; TT, will you be in attendance?

They are capping it at 26k this year. Will not be in attendance at this one as my work schedule did not allow. May be in Huntsville in a few weeks though! ;)

purplejacks
October 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Here is the scoop I heard today.....

Neither SHSU or SFA is going to reap a big windfall from this game, but at the same time did they have any financial investment. LoneStar Sports took all the risk on this game and is paying the bills.

I also heard that today that over 19,000 tickets have now been sold and with the current rate of sales, they are expecting between 23,000 - 25,000 at the game.

For the first year, this has far exceeded anyone's expectations.

Gotta credit the success of SHSU recently and their winning streak. They have earned that and their fans are supporting them.

Saturdays game will be just one more CLASSIC in the series between the 2 schools.

My prediction.... SFA 30 SHSU 21

But everyone has a great time.... see you there.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Neither SHSU or SFA is going to reap a big windfall from this game, but at the same time did they have any financial investment. LoneStar Sports took all the risk on this game and is paying the bills.

Do you mean SHSU and SFA did not have any financial investment in the game? And that LSSE paid all the bills?

I was not expecting much financial windfall directly from the game, but figured the game itself would boost such things as alumni participation, school awareness, etc. That's what matters most. And quite frankly, not sure either school would make just as much from having the game on-campus as they probably are both netting from this one.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Head's up...

Bearkat Athletics just announced that Willie Fritz will make a 9:30 a.m. appearance on SportsTalk 790 AM in Houston today to promote the BOPW.

Would be nice if some SHSU (and even SFA) folks called in prior to and after to help build up the game even more! I've got staff meeting - so can't listen, but perhaps some of you guys can...

Listen live - http://www.790kbme.com/main.html

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Here is the scoop I heard today.....

Is that right.....

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I was not expecting much financial windfall directly from the game, but figured the game itself would boost such things as alumni participation, school awareness, etc. That's what matters most.

Is that that "soft" money you've been talking about?

TSUalum05
October 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
SHSU-SFA games typically draw very well - I'd be curious how the atmopshere will be with the entire bottom bowl full - since that's what it should be.

For the LDC - do they just cap it at the bottom bowl? Or how does seating work?

No they do not cap it...We have people in the second level and filled the bottom bowl this year. The atmosphere is totally different than when we play games Delmar; Reliant is just to spacious if you do not fill the entire staduim. Even when we've had years of 30-40k, the atmosphere is not as fan friendly as I it should be in my opinion. Hopefully you guys get a lot of people...More than you would normally get if the games were on campus...

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
FYI...

SHSU is holding a Houston area Kat Pack meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Reliant Stadium. Willie Fritz will be there. Park in Teal Lot across from Kirby and enter the West Club entrance.

No they do not cap it...We have people in the second level and filled the bottom bowl this year. The atmosphere is totally different than when we play games Delmar; Reliant is just to spacious if you do not fill the entire staduim. Even when we've had years of 30-40k, the atmosphere is not as fan friendly as I it should be in my opinion. Hopefully you guys get a lot of people...More than you would normally get if the games were on campus...

Your attendance numbers this year do not reflect a filling of the bottom bowl at Reliant Stadium, especially if there were people sitting in the second level... though by second level, do you mean the premium seats? I know SHSU, SFA have sold out their premium seats.

Our stadiums couldn't hold the 22-26k that we should be getting for the game. The atmosphere will definitely not be the same, but we'll see what things they are adding to the equation to help it become a nice atmosphere.

Is that that "soft" money you've been talking about?

SHSU, SFA is already reaping the benefits of this game...

The pub for this game over the last few months has been far superior than the pub if the game was in Huntsville or Nacogdoches. Lots of print and air time (both radio, TV) that we would not have gotten otherwise in a major recruiting market (Houston). You definitely can not beat that and it will have in effect, translate to more awareness and potentially greater enrollment - which in turns fuels the athletic department budget.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 10:02 AM
You definitely can not beat that and it will have in effect, translate to more awareness and potentially greater enrollment - which in turns fuels the athletic department budget.

So, due to this game now becoming a "Classic" with a promoter and at a neutral site results to a benefit the university in terms of increase enrollment and fueling the athletic department.... I sure hope the SWAC schools learn more about this "new" concept.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
So, due to this game now becoming a "Classic" with a promoter and at a neutral site results to a benefit the university in terms of increase enrollment and fueling the athletic department.... I sure hope the SWAC schools learn more about this "new" concept.

The SWAC knows about the concept, it just has not worked well for them...

The SWAC schools are not able to take advantage of these marquee events and in turn, use them for the benefit of their schools and/or athletic departments. If they did, their athletic departments would not be the lowest funded amongst football and/or basketball schools in the country. Their basketball teams would not have to play more guarantee games than any in the country, etc.

Somewhere - the dollars and cents do not add up. The SWAC is getting the "hard money", but it is not in turn correlating to the success and innovations of the SWAC athletic departments. That's another subject for another time...

SHSU has shown in the past that success and notoreity on the field have a direct impact on enrollment and the athletic department budget. The school either has better people handling the money in the benefit of athletics (through fees) or much more success PR/enrollment management know-how. I tend to think it is a combination of both.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Now how did I NOT know you'd castigate like that...

That's weird because our enrollment is increasing; athletic budget has increased. The same can be said with Prairie View A&M, Jackson State's enrollment is increasing as well.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
SHSU has shown in the past that success and notoreity on the field have a direct impact on enrollment and the athletic department budget. The school either has better people handling the money in the benefit of athletics (through fees) or much more success PR/enrollment management know-how. I tend to think it is a combination of both.

Substantiate please.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
That's weird because our enrollment is increasing; athletic budget has increased. The same can be said with Prairie View A&M, Jackson State's enrollment is increasing as well.

Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M are in a much different situation than the remainder of the conference. You can continually toot the horn of those two all you want, but things are not as positive at the remainder of the SWAC institutions... as a league, you are dead last in athletic budgeting and the gap is only increasing and it is having a profound impact on your schools' ability to compete now - more than ever.

Look around the SWAC. Losses to sub-Div I competition is mounting in all sports and the league is what - 0-50 against the SLC in the sports that have competed this year? You guys were making in-roads, but guess you are funding the non-football & basketball sports at the bare minimums. If soccer and volleyball have gotten worse, I can only imagine softball and baseball "World Series" wins against the SLC will diminish as well.

It would be like me tooting the horn of the SLC as all having "increasing enrollment, athletic budgets" when I know the Texas schools are in a pretty good situation while knowing all too well that there is far greater disparity with the Louisiana schools - who are falling off the back of the bus.

Substantiate please.

SHSU's first trip to the NCAA basketball tournament provided SHSU with its largest attendance (at the time) of our Saturday at Sam freshman event. The President stated as much.

Since 2001, SHSU enrollment grew 30 percent with number of faculty growing 41 percent. The university has also added 16 new academic programs.

In that same time, the University established a stand-alone student athletic fee, which they have since increased. With increasing enrollment (and academic options), the amount towards athletics continues to grow.

In 2004 or 2005, SHSU hired an enrollment management VP. She has overhauled the campus, helped raise admission standards and despite that, our enrollment continues to grow. We have a nationally-recognized SAM Center (student academic advising facility) plus other means of increasing retention.

SHSU has also built baseball and softball complexes, fixed up the football stadium, improved the track and field facility and done numerous renovations to basketball and tennis. This is all since 2004.

There is obviously a commitment to success through athletics. Much of the growth has come during the greatest tenure of success in our athletic program's history - the three-time SLC Commish Cup champions and let's not forget, SHSU has been #1 or #2 in GPA and academic recognition for student-athletes for the last 5-7 years as well.

These are all documented facts. There's really nothing more to substantiate, because I know you and every other SWAC poster (meaning y'all - and I can do that because it happens every time) - have failed to provide any information regarding your institutions and require me to do the research. Forget about that - it's time for you guys to use those skills that you got in your education.

In conclusion...

SHSU vs SFA in the BOPW is helping both schools. Enrollment. Public relations. Athletics.

It's working for us and the facts are there. Is it working for you? The numbers do not lie.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Right on time... I'll be back for more when you start the "Battle of the Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium on Kirby Drive" thread.

TexasFan
October 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM
TICKET SALES FOR BATTLE OF THE PINEY WOODS SURPASS 20,000

HOUSTON – With the 2010 edition of the Battle of the Piney Woods just three days away, ticket sales for the game surpassed the 20,000 mark, officials from Lone Star Sports & Entertainment announced today. The annual rivalry game between Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin will kick off at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 23 at Reliant Stadium.

“The strong advance ticket sales illustrate the level of passion and excitement on both sides of this rivalry,” said Lone Star Sports & Entertainment general manager Chris Keeney. “The fans from Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin have helped to create what we all believe is going to become one of the great annual traditions in Texas college football.”

Game officials also announced that beer will be sold at all concession stands throughout Reliant Stadium on game day. No decision has been made regarding the status of Reliant Stadium’s retractable roof, but the Houston Texans’ “50-80 Rule” will apply for this game.

The 50-80 Rule states that if the temperature at kickoff is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above 80, the roof will be closed for fan comfort. If the temperature is between 50 and 80, the decision will be made before 11:45 a.m. on game day. Currently, the forecast for Saturday calls for a high of 85 with a 30 percent chance of rain.

If the roof is open, the referee has sole discretion to close it during the game. Within the last two minutes of the game, the roof must remain in its current state until the game ends.

Tailgating will be allowed in all available Reliant Park parking lots. Admission to all parking will be cash only at $15 per vehicle, and the lots will open at 10:00 a.m. Sam Houston State fans are encouraged enter from Kirby Dr., which will put them near the official Bearkat tailgate party in the Blue Lot. Stephen F. Austin fans are encouraged to enter from Fannin St. to be near the official Lumberjack tailgate in the Blue Lot near the Astrodome.

For fans planning to set up their own tailgates, H-E-B will sponsor a Tailgater of the Game contest. Judges will be looking for the tailgate which best exemplifies team spirit, great food, originality and hospitality while making the best use of H-E-B products. The winning tailgate will be recognized during the game on the video board and will win an H-E-B gift card.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
FYI - this just came across the SHSU Bearkat Athletics Facebook account...

SHSU Director of Athletics Bobby Williams will be on Sports Radio 610 tonight at 7:30 to talk about the Battle of the Piney Woods

Again, without the BOPW - how much mention would SHSU get on their airwaves on local talk radio? That's two today and there's been plenty more in the weeks, months leading up to the game (per the photos available on the BOPW Facebook page) and other information shared.

This game is paying instant dividends!

katstrapper
October 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I wish yall would take the Labor Day Classic talk somewhere else. I think this thread is called " Battle of the Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium"

This game is a great recruiting tool for both schools. SHSU has roughly 65,000 alums in the Greater Houston area so I am sure there will be a huge SHSU contingent at Reliant.

Happy to hear that ticket sales have surpassed 20k mark with still 3 days to go. I am sure there will be a nice walk up crowd for the game.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Blog from the Houston Press... again, publicity we wouldn't of had otherwise...

There's Texas-OU in the Red River Shootout (eff that "Rivalry" crap). Florida-Georgia in the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. And Oregon-Oregon State in the Civil War.

And then there's the Battle of the Piney Woods, where two meth-fueled, teeth-lacking inbred teams get togeth -- no, no, NOT AT ALL.

It's where two fine institutions from East Texas, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin, get together for bragging rights.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/10/sfa_vs_sam_houston_the_battle.php

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
FYI - the Battle of the Piney Woods is on Wikipedia (for what it's worth) - though looks like SHSU influenced this one... ;)

The Battle of the Piney Woods is the rivalry between the Sam Houston State Bearkats and the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks. The rivalry is currently the second longest in the FCS with Bearkats leading the series in football 48-34-2. But in the 2009 match up, the Lumberjacks beat the Bearkats 42-3 in front of a home crowd. On October 20th, 2009, according to SFA Jacks.com and GoBearkats.com the Universities announced the rivalry will be moved down to Houston, Texas, in Reliant Stadium from now until 2013. But the rivalry is not only in football but in men's basketball the Bearkats hold a slight advantage leading the series 92-91. The last game was the 183rd and extended the rivalry to 85 seasons. The Bearkats won the last battle 64-48 to win the Southland Conference Title and go on to the NCAA Tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Piney_Woods

TSUalum05
October 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM
I wish yall would take the Labor Day Classic talk somewhere else. I think this thread is called " Battle of the Piney Woods at Reliant Stadium"

Now you know TT will bring up the LDC classic again in this thread. Just like he was the first to bring it into this thread. I agree, this thread should solely focus on your variation of a classic which I'm sure will be successful.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM
If this isn't huge, not sure what is... Richard Justice - the main columnist for the Houston Chronicle - covered the BOPW today. I believe the only time he has covered SHSU or SFA since he took the main columnist job was in regards to Bob Marlin, the former SHSU basketball coach...

The Texans are closing off the upper deck and hoping to sell out the 26,000-seat lower bowl. For these two schools, who've been playing one another since 1923, this four-year deal could help in all sorts of ways.

"It's going to be a really neat atmosphere," Harper said. "Any time you can get into a big market like Houston with the alumni we have there and the recruiting we do in Houston, it's great. I don't know if it can be any better than this with two really good football teams."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7256713.html

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.houstonianonline.com/polopoly_fs/1.2376922!/image/1705944408.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/1705944408.jpg

Ready for Reliant

After seven weeks of football, the time has almost come for the most anticipated Southland Conference showdown of the 2010 season.

The 85th matchup of the Battle of the Piney Woods rivalry will kick off Saturday at 2 p.m., when the Sam Houston State Bearkats (4-2, 2-0 SLC) will take on the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (5-1, 2-0 SLC) at Reliant Stadium in Houston with Southland supremacy, and bragging rights, on the line.

"This is a big ball game for us, playing the top dog in conference. SFA is playing really good right now. They're a very good all around ball club," Head Coach Willie Fritz said in the weekly Southland media call. "It's a very competitive game with a storied history between the two schools. It's going to be a good barometer of where we're at as a football program right now."

http://www.houstonianonline.com/campus-news/ready-for-reliant-1.2376890
----------------
A tale of two cities

The building that now holds the ROTC, previously known as Bearkat gym could hold no more than a few thousand people in the early 60's.

In fact, the doors to the building were locked half an hour before game time due to its small capacity.

In the stands, sat Leroy Wilkinson ‘64 who still recalls the minutes before the doors closed, when a ruckus stirred outside.

http://www.houstonianonline.com/campus-news/a-tale-of-two-cities-1.2376856

McNeese75
October 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Glad to see this is turning into a nice event for both schools. The fan base for both has been pretty fickle and the home game attendance has been on a roller coaster this year.

Now all you need to do is start calling it a "Classic" xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
October 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Now all you need to do is start calling it a "Classic" xlolx

Oh and you know I can't wait for that to happen. xprayx

It has all the qualifications of one...

Promoter
Neutral site
Sponsors

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Oh and you know I can't wait for that to happen. xprayx

It has all the qualifications of one...

Promoter
Neutral site
Sponsors

It's lacking a few things...

1) Campus debacle over the final destination of the money - leading to the resignation, firing of campus administrators (or at the very least, being brought up numerous times)
2) A school or school(s) not taking full advantage of the opportunity to be in a televised game by ill-preparing (or not sending 'basic info' to) the announcers (told to me directly by a color commentator of one particular league)
3) A promoter that bails on the school(s) in the month leading up to the game, forcing them to move the game halfway across the country or cancel the game altogether
4) The league sends a HS football crew to officiate the game leading to criticism by the announcing crew

Figure the way things stand - LSSE, SHSU and SFA are making sure none of the above happens.

Very happy with how this game is being handled and the publicity that is coming from it. The Richard Justice column this morning was huge as were the radio spots on EACH of the major sports radio stations in the city.

SFA 71
October 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
SFA information about the game:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/stephen-f-austin-state-university/important-details-about-pregame-tailgating-at-battle-of-the-pineywoods/117770731615749

xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Conference Leaders Clash in Annual Battle of the Piney Woods
Lumberjacks look to keep win streak alive in key league contest

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102010aaa.html

xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Tickets Still Available for Battle of the Piney Woods
Conference leaders prepare for clash at Reliant Stadium

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101910aac.html

TexasTerror
October 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Lots of homemade t-shirts for this one...

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m592/Daniel_Field/n34402992_32944378_2027.jpg

SFA 71
October 22nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Lots of homemade t-shirts for this one...

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m592/Daniel_Field/n34402992_32944378_2027.jpg

No one.......NO ONE..... but a non-Texan would call the Father of Texas: Steve. Sacrilege! xnonono2x

rexreed
October 23rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have to agree there. While it's better than a "so and so sucks" t-shirt it is still hard to get behind.

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
ANNOUNCED ATTENDANCE... 24,635! xnodx

Congrats to the 24,635 in attendance for filling the bottom bowl of Reliant Stadium up and putting up a great atmosphere for the best FCS rivalry in Texas and the Southland Conference.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Attendance... per the NCAA... SHSU-SFA was third. Of note, the top game was also at an NFL stadium. Montana - well that's Montana doing their thing.

23-OCT-10 New Hampshire Massachusetts 32848
23-OCT-10 Montana Northern Ariz. 25323
23-OCT-10 Sam Houston St. Stephen F. Austin 24685
23-OCT-10 Yale Penn 22293
23-OCT-10 South Carolina St. Hampton 22010
23-OCT-10 Norfolk St. Florida A&M 21118
23-OCT-10 Prairie View Southern U. 19979
23-OCT-10 Old Dominion Georgia St. 19782
23-OCT-10 Jacksonville St. Austin Peay 19707
23-OCT-10 UNI Illinois St. 15730

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
This year's game is well on way to a bottom bowl sellout... would it be safe to say this game has already surpassed the Labor Day Classic as the top drawing FCS rivalry in the area?

With less than 2,000 seats remaining towards a lower bowl "sellout" for the 2011 game, demand for all seats is high. Fans are urged to order their tickets as soon as possible..

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205156507&DB_OEM_ID=19900

TexasTerror
July 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
This year... an official hotel.

The Westin Oaks Houston is the official hotel for the Battle of the Piney Woods game between Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin. This year's game will be play on Oct. 8 at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

Secure your room today and get the full experience of one of the NCAA's best FCS rivalry in all of college football.

Last year's "Battle of the Piney Woods" at Reliant Stadium attracted more than 24,000 fans and this year's contest looks to bring an even larger crowd.
Spend a great weekend in Houston and enjoy all the fun and exitement.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205178490

3rd Coast Tiger
July 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
This year's game is well on way to a bottom bowl sellout... would it be safe to say this game has already surpassed the Labor Day Classic as the top drawing FCS rivalry in the area?

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205156507&DB_OEM_ID=19900

And a big congratulations on that too! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
A title sponsor... only lends more credibility to the game.

YP.com, the new YELLOWPAGES.COMSM, AT&T's flagship local search website, is teaming up with Lone Star Sports and Entertainment to host The Battle of the Piney Woods, game officials announced today. The Battle of the Piney Woods is the annual rivalry football game between Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State played at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

As the title sponsor, YP.com will have a prominent presence throughout the event including signage on the field and throughout the stadium. YP.com will also have a significant role in on-field ceremonies prior to the game, at halftime and postgame.

The YPSM brand experience, found across AT&T's flagship local search products - such as YP.com, helps users quickly find more of what they are really looking for - whether it's local businesses, events or ways to save money. Combined, AT&T's print, online and mobile local search products reach millions of consumers every year who are searching for local information.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205214242&DB_OEM_ID=19900

TexasTerror
August 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
SHSU is doing a countdown of the biggest plays in BOPW history...

Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #10-Joe Kirk's winning field goal - 1926

Joe Kirk, the first Sam Houston football player to earn all-conference honors, was the hero of the Bearkats' first ever victory over Stephen F. Austin in a hard-fought "Battle of the Piney Woods" played at Birdwell Field in Nacogdoches on November 21, 1925.

http://www.gobearkats.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205236908

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #9 - Jimmy Hair's TD Pass - 1938

In the late 1930s the "Battle of the Piney Woods" had become a Thanksgiving Day event. When the Lumberjacks visited Huntsville for the Turkey Day festivities, Sam Houston was seeking to post its highest single season victory total since the 1930 TIAA championship season.

http://www.gobearkats.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205240879

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Smart idea... glad to see SHSU & SFA working together to raise more funds for each school...

HOUSTON - Fans and alumni from Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State are invited to register for the inaugural Battle of the Piney Woods Golf Tournament. The tournament will be played at Wildcat Golf Club Friday, Oct. 7, the day before the game, and will begin with a shotgun start at 2:00 p.m. CT.

The registration fee is $600 for a foursome, which includes green fees, carts, school-specific goodie bags, drinks on the course as well as lunch and dinner. Players will also have access to an exclusive silent auction featuring Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State memorabilia, game experiences and other prizes. Hole sponsorships are also available for $100 per hole.

All proceeds from the tournament will be split between the two schools, and will go to fund scholarships at each institution.

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081211aaa.html

GaSouthern
August 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Interesting concept. Pitting two rivals against eachother like this ain't a bad idea.

Before the 2008 season we kept hearing that JSU was in talks with a promoter for a Jax State-Georgia Southern game at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Because we were unable to move another game, the deal didn't work out.

I don't know how well that game would have drawn, as there's not a lot of history between the teams. Georgia Southern has plenty of alums in the metro area, of course, and we've got our share, and J'ville is closer to Atlanta than Statesboro is. 15,000-20,000?

Looks like the SFA-SHS game is in a much better position to make this concept work.

I'd guess about 15K would show up, the last time GSU played a neutral game in the dome was against MTSU and I think about 12-15K showed up.

TheRevSFA
August 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
There's about 3,500-4,000 tickets left in the lower bowl.

Nice turnout so far

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
There's about 3,500-4,000 tickets left in the lower bowl.

Not bad... and true promotion will really jump start as we get into the season. Once football begins, more people will pay attention and presumably buy more season tickets at the schools (which include tickets).

Hope the golf tournament does well... nice to see a 'weekend' developing out of this event!

TheRevSFA
August 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Not bad... and true promotion will really jump start as we get into the season. Once football begins, more people will pay attention and presumably buy more season tickets at the schools (which include tickets).

Hope the golf tournament does well... nice to see a 'weekend' developing out of this event!

I agree. I am considering playing in the golf tournament.

katstrapper
August 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
There was over 24K at this game last year, the largest crowd ever at this rivalry game. Look for a larger crowd this year!!

blackfordpu
August 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
The gold tournament is a fantastic idea. Props to whomever thought that one up.

I hope to be able to attend the game. Will find out this week if I will or not.

TexasTerror
August 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
THE TORPEDO!

Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #8: Travis Tobaben's 4th Down Completion -- 2002

In 2002, when an unranked Sam Houston team upset another nationally ranked SFA squad at Lumberjack homecoming in Nacogdoches, a sports writer for the Houston Chronicle suggested that, perhaps, Stephen F. Austin should quit scheduling the Bearkats for homecoming.

He reasoned this was a good idea since the Lumberjacks hadn't had much to celebrate in the past several years against their Southland Conference rival.

That Saturday night in 2002 was no exception for Stephen F. Austin, which came into the game ranked 23rd among the nation's Division I-AA teams while the Bearkats had lost four of six games.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205242795

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #7
Rickey Eggleston's "Cardiac Catch"
November 8, 1986 - Sam Houston 30, Stephen F. Austin 26

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205246974

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #6
Anthony Miller's interception TD ices victory
October 31, 1992 - Sam Houston 34, Stephen F. Austin 23

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205252089&DB_OEM_ID=19900

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #5
Taylor Wilkins' overtime field goal
October 31, 2008 - Sam Houston 34, Stephen F. Austin 31

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205266828&DB_OEM_ID=19900

TheRevSFA
September 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Yawn

Oh sorry terror, just got bored with seeing top 10 sam plays as opposed to top 10 between both

blackfordpu
September 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Yawn

Oh sorry terror, just got bored with seeing top 10 sam plays as opposed to top 10 between both

Well, the stories are coming from GoBearkats.com Rev.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Bearkats vs. SFA "Battle of the Piney Woods" Big Play #4
P. J. Traylor's Interception TD
October 18, 2001 - Sam Houston 24, Stephen F. Austin 21

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205270171&DB_OEM_ID=19900

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Have once more surpassed the Labor Day Classic as the top selling FCS neutral site game in the city... this tradition has clearly outgrown one that had been around for much longer...

With the 2011 installment of the Battle of the Piney Woods presented by YP.com four days away, officials from Lone Star Sports & Entertainment announced that ticket sales have surpassed 20,000.

The annual rivalry game between Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin will be played at Reliant Stadium at 2:00 p.m. this Saturday, October 8.

The 2010 Battle of the Piney Woods set an attendance record for both schools with a crowd of 24,685. Capacity for the game is limited to Reliant Stadium's lower bowl, which seats approximately 26,000, and luxury suites.

The Southland Conference attendance record of 27,500, set at a 1976 game between McNeese State and Louisiana-Lafayette in Lake Charles, La.

"Our ticket sales are pacing ahead of where we were a year ago at this point, and we have an opportunity to make Saturday a record-setting day," said LSSE Director Heather Houston. "The fans and alumni from both schools have really gotten behind this game and are helping to make it a truly special event every year."

http://www.gobearkats.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205309807

Sly Fox
October 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
The halftime show is still infinitely better on Labor Day Weekend.

Congrats to all involved in seeing this develop into something special. Jamey's done a great job thinking out of the box in how to maximize Reliant.

txstatebobcat
October 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Congratulations to lumberjack and bearkat fans for finally getting this rivalry the recognition it deserves. This is the one FCS game that I try to never miss whenever its on TV.

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
And while kudos are being thrown around...

Kudos to the schools for developing their own traditions around the game. This year we have a golf tournament involving both schools' alums and SHSU started a tradition last year of having former football letterwinners form a tunnel for which the current Bearkats run through at the start of the game. They were anticipating having 200 former football players on the field (that was the max they would allow) this year.

I think more and more will come of the game as it grows... though this axe handle restriction zone is wild!

3rd Coast Tiger
October 5th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Have once more surpassed the Labor Day Classic as the top selling FCS neutral site game in the city... this tradition has clearly outgrown one that had been around for much longer...

You and this fascination with this...

You know very well that the Labor Day Classic was not played in Reliant Stadium this year and in a 12,000 seat capacity venue. How hard would it be to surpass what we posted for 2011? Geez!