PDA

View Full Version : Matt Gutz a Griz?

GlennGoBlue
January 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Michigan fan, Richmond Alum here, kinda surprised it's not being talked about in this forum but it's pretty much all over the Michigan boards that Matt Guttierez, 4 star recruit in 2003 that sat behind Navarre for his last year then came back and got injured and lost the job to Henne, is transferring to Montana. I have zero sources except the fact that the guys on the Michigan board are seemingly treating it as fact and they have a pretty good track record with these things. And I have no idea what Montana's current QB situation is and how/where he'd fit in.

Wellington
January 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
We have Sophomore Cole Bergquist, Senior Matt Swogger (1-A Transfer), Redshirt Freshman Andrew Selle, and I believe Redshirt Freshman Clint Stapp (he might be a soph, not sure). I didnt mention Jason Washington because he will defenitely not be playing anymore as a QB.

eagle1
January 7th, 2006, 02:22 PM
He is transferring to Idaho State. Go Eagles!!!

The Fan
January 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Wow looks like Swogger comes back to bite the Griz earlier than expected. Gutz would have been a major get. One of the top QB's in the nation out of De La Salle, 6'4 220 and very athletic. Idaho State must have promissed the starting QB spot.

griz37
January 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
What? I am a huge Michigan fan & Griz fan. I can't believe that we had the chance at Guiterez. Are you kidding me? He would be starting at Michigan right now had he not been hurt at the start of the 04 season. That is unbelievable.

griz37
January 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Does anybody have a link to any of these rumors or message boards?

VictorG
January 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Wow looks like Swogger comes back to bite the Griz earlier than expected.

Let's not start this stuff before spring ball even starts please. No "coulda, woulda, shoulda" crud until the pads are on at least!

Ronbo
January 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Well someone's got their info screwed up, Matt was a senior in 2005.

Matt Gutierrez Bio (http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=119&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=955)

griz37
January 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ronbo,
He is listed as a senior but has 1 year of eligibility left.

Ronbo
January 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Did he get a medical redshirt?

The Fan
January 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
He redshirted in 2002. UM lists players by their academic standing.

eagle1
January 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
He never was considering Montana. He picked Idaho State over Texas State and EWU. Go Eagles!!!

Grizo406
January 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I'm curious as to why he'd pick Idaho State over EWU. Not dissin' the Bengals, but I'd like to know why.

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I'm curious as to why he'd pick Idaho State over EWU. Not dissin' the Bengals, but I'd like to know why.

I remember somebody saying that Idaho State is returning all starters on offense (never did hear about the defense). Maybe he thinks it's a good place to be for a good shot at post-season play. I don't know, but ISU is going to be pretty scary next year.

Grizo406
January 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I remember somebody saying that Idaho State is returning all starters on offense (never did hear about the defense). Maybe he thinks it's a good place to be for a good shot at post-season play. I don't know, but ISU is going to be pretty scary next year.

Hopefully the Griz will be just as scary. :nod:

VictorG
January 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM

The "protection" at Idaho State is MUCH better than anywhere else in the BSC. Don't you remember the quote from that one FB player to the BB player, 'There are 90 of us and only 12 of you!"

kalm
January 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
The "protection" at Idaho State is MUCH better than anywhere else in the BSC. Don't you remember the quote from that one FB player to the BB player, 'There are 90 of us and only 12 of you!"

Now that's funny! :nod:

The following is from EWU beat reporter Dave Trimmer's blog:

"Eags miss on another QB
Football update: Word on the street is that Matt Gutierrez, a senior quarterback at Michigan, has picked Idaho State over Eastern Washington.

Coaches aren't allowed to comment, but one word is that he liked the ISU offense better.

Hum, Eastern has been among the national leaders for years, has all its line back, plus tight ends and running backs and promising young receivers. Maybe Paul Wulff should start promising these drop-downs they'll start no matter what. Since when did sports not become about earning a position?"

I'm not neccessarily predicting it will happen, but what if Eric Meyer's backup Chris Peerboom out plays all these high profile drop-downs? xazzx

May not need to happen though, with our stable of running backs and an experienced O-line :)

Tom W
January 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Now that's funny! :nod:

The following is from EWU beat reporter Dave Trimmer's blog:

"Eags miss on another QB
Football update: Word on the street is that Matt Gutierrez, a senior quarterback at Michigan, has picked Idaho State over Eastern Washington.

Coaches aren't allowed to comment, but one word is that he liked the ISU offense better.

Hum, Eastern has been among the national leaders for years, has all its line back, plus tight ends and running backs and promising young receivers. Maybe Paul Wulff should start promising these drop-downs they'll start no matter what. Since when did sports not become about earning a position?"

I'm not neccessarily predicting it will happen, but what if Eric Meyer's backup Chris Peerboom out plays all these high profile drop-downs? xazzx

May not need to happen though, with our stable of running backs and an experienced O-line :)
AGREED!

EWU has led the Big Sky (considered one of the top offensive leagues in the country) four of the last five years. They can flat coach them up at EWU and Peerboom has been their pick to follow meyer (tough job) for three years. He may have some ajustment to do, but with the returning line and backs this years eagles will set up the pass with a dominating running attack. Peerboom will need to be efficiant and mistake free for EWU to have a very good year!

slostang
January 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cal Poly has a Anthony Guttierez from DeLaSalle High School on their roster this seasom. He is a freshman this year. He played QB and safety his jr. year and and safety and backup QB his sr. year at DeLaSalle. I wonder if he is the brother of Matt?

blur2005
January 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cal Poly has a Anthony Guttierez from DeLaSalle High School on their roster this seasom. He is a freshman this year. He played QB and safety his jr. year and and safety and backup QB his sr. year at DeLaSalle. I wonder if he is the brother of Matt?
Good chance this is true.

Ronbo
January 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM

If the spelling Guttierez is correct then they are not brothers. Matt's last name is Guiterrez.

slostang
January 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
If the spelling Guttierez is correct then they are not brothers. Matt's last name is Guiterrez.
My bad. I put in two t's instead of two two r's. Typing is not my strong point. Anthony spells his last name Guiterrez.

Ronbo
January 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hey ISU and Cal Poly play every year like clockwork. If they are brothers that would be cool. They'd be playing against each other like the Barber brothers do.

DaGriz
January 10th, 2006, 07:20 PM

I think you are right on that. I remember watching that DeLaSalle/Louisiana or Tenn. high school matchup on ESPN two years ago and I think I remember them talking about the QB's brother being at Michigan.

UM_Minuteman
January 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM
The two are brothers and they both went to De La Salle High School in Concord, Ca.