PDA

View Full Version : Vuvuzela's and College Football

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Should the NCAA allow Vuvuzela's at College Football games? Imagine the atmosphere if those things are played. xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
June 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I would poke out my ear drums. Many conferences have rules against artificial noisemakers like cowbells (big issue at Miss. State apparently).

NHwildEcat
June 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM
If fans can't make enough noise with their mouths/hands then they need to learn how to step it up...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm a casual World Cup guy at best. Those blasted horns are giving me a convenient "excuse" not to bother watching any of the games this time around. xnodx

jmufan999
June 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm a casual World Cup guy at best. Those blasted horns are giving me a convenient "excuse" not to bother watching any of the games this time around. xnodx

well put.

if they ever show up at JMU (i realize they won't), i'll stop going to the games. they're that irritating.

MorgantonAPPAlum
June 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
It just sounds like the games are being played beside a giant beehive. I thought I hated "thunderstix" but at least the fans beat them together at predictable times.

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
No. I've had one of those things at a hockey game before in Greenville. You wouldn't believe the racket they can make.

Actually, I think the NCAA has regulations on artificial noise makers inside football stadiums. I know that one of the only colleges that adds noise artificially is Miss. State with cowbells, and I think they flaunt that in contravention of the rules.

carney2
June 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'd almost welcome them at Lafayette's Fisher Stadium if they'd drown out that god-awful rap-crap that the powers that be insist on blasting thru the PA system.

TSUalum05
June 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
They do -- the Tuba section at HBCU games...xlolx

jcf5445
June 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
No. I've had one of those things at a hockey game before in Greenville. You wouldn't believe the racket they can make.

Actually, I think the NCAA has regulations on artificial noise makers inside football stadiums. I know that one of the only colleges that adds noise artificially is Miss. State with cowbells, and I think they flaunt that in contravention of the rules.

The NCAA has no such rule, so Miss. State fans (me included) can ring the cowbells all we want in non-conference games. It's the SEC that has a rule against artificial noisemakers, so officially the cowbells have been banned in SEC games since the early 70s, but the rule has rarely been enforced (a few opposing teams will complain whenever we have a good team, but that's not very often so it's never been a very big deal). However, about 3 weeks ago at the SEC annual meetings, a compromise was reached between Miss. State and the SEC that we can ring our cowbells as long as it is not while the game is being played (i.e. in between possessions, quarters, before the game, after the game, after scores, etc.). It will be interesting to see whether or not the crowd will adhere to these guidelines.

bkrownd
June 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
You would be pounded into a pulp if you tried to blare one of these things in a crowd.

Rob Iola
June 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
well put.

if they ever show up at JMU (i realize they won't), i'll stop going to the games. they're that irritating.
as opposed to streamers?

Bogus Megapardus
June 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I'd almost welcome them at Lafayette's Fisher Stadium if they'd drown out that god-awful rap-crap that the powers that be insist on blasting thru the PA system.

If used only on opponents' third downs and field goal tries, I say go for it.

jmufan999
June 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
as opposed to streamers?

streamers are only irritating to opposing fans, which makes us love them that much more. the best part is using them to irritate opposing players.

FargoBison
June 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Should the NCAA allow Vuvuzela's at College Football games? Imagine the atmosphere if those things are played. xsmiley_wix

NDSU used to sell them at the Dome, it wasn't anything like the world cup but you could hear them. They have since been banned, MVFC rule.

Rob Iola
June 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
streamers are only irritating to opposing fans, which makes us love them that much more. the best part is using them to irritate opposing players.
just make sure they don't clash with the snazzy new turf...

Bogus Megapardus
June 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
NDSU used to sell them at the Dome, it wasn't anything like the world cup but you could hear them. They have since been banned, MVFC rule.

That noise would be insane inside a dome. Good call by the MVFC.

JohnStOnge
June 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If what you're talking about is that thing that creates that bee-buzzing sound I heard audio of that today and I thought, "Man. That would drive the opposing offense crazy if fans at a football did that while they were trying to call signals."

JMUNJ08
June 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Its an African tradition! I love listening to the games with them going. You can always turn down the volume you know....

If only streamers made noise when you threw them......one can wish right?

AggieFinn
June 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Keep it in South Africa.

Ivytalk
June 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Maybe at Columbia...xcoolx

DJOM
June 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Keep em in South Africa. I couldn't imagine trying to call signals or think. Jon Stewart was talking about the "Swarming of the Bees" on the Daily Show the other night--- of course referring to the Vuvuzela's.:D

colorless raider
June 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
No you wouldn't! Take the rap, man.