PDA

View Full Version : Question for Youngstown and Grambling fans?

UNHWILDCATS05
June 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Trying to plan our trip to Pittsburgh in September. Did any of you guys attend when your team played PITT? What is the scoop on tailgating? I have heard it is difficult to get a parking pass to tailgate right at Heinz field and even if you do, it is nothing that special. We are considering taking the ferry to the game from station square. Any thoughts? Also, any additional tips you may have would be great.

Thanks in advance.

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
One year when we played at YSU we went to Pittsburgh in the morning. Pitt was at home and it's a terrible setup. Good luck.

carney2
June 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Trying to plan our trip to Pittsburgh in September. Did any of you guys attend when your team played PITT? What is the scoop on tailgating? I have heard it is difficult to get a parking pass to tailgate right at Heinz field and even if you do, it is nothing that special. We are considering taking the ferry to the game from station square. Any thoughts? Also, any additional tips you may have would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Good choice taking the boat (not ferry) from Station Square. Name one other venue that you will visit where that can be done. If you must tailgate, carry disposable items with you from Station Square. You might, however, consider the advice my group got from a tour guide the first time I went to Europe: "If you want it to be like home, you should have stayed there." Which is to say, one football game without a tailgate isn't the end of the world. You can eat - and even "tailgate" over at Station Square before you board the boat if you must.

There's enough to do on the North Side (near the stadium) to keep you occupied. For instance, the Pitt band gathers at the foot of the Clemente Bridge (on the other side of PNC Park from Heinz Field) and marches to the stadium. People follow along and it's a good time. Be sure to get across the river early enough that you don't miss it. Then, if you still have time walk along the river to the other side of Heinz Field. There's the Carnegie Science Museum and a WWII submarine. You won't have time to go into either, but it sure beats walking around most stadiums that you've been to. The river traffic by itself can shoot more than a few minutes for you.

A block or so beyond PNC Park is the Andy Warhol Museum and Gallery. There's an admission, but it's neat. Don't know about Saturday hours, however.

Walk the Clemente Bridge. It is closed to all but pedestrian traffic on game days and frequently is lined with vendors.

Inside Heinz Field there is all kinds of Steeler and other memorabilia on display, including six - count 'em, 6! - Stupid Bowl trophies.

Whether before the game or after, don't forget to ride the incline from Station Square and catch the view from Mt. Washington. Actually, if you have the right seats, watching the incline and the river traffic is a neat little diversion during the game.

Believe me, standing in a puddle of motor oil consuming same-old, same-old Bud suds is not the be all and end all of a football experience. You'll be in a new place. Look around. Smell the roses. Experience new things. Live a little.