PDA

View Full Version : Mortenson to GSU - Done Deal!

Eaglegus2
January 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM
The Georgia Southern Eagles have found themselves a quarterback.

Alex Mortensen, son of ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, has decided to transfer to Georgia Southern from Arkansas, according to his father. Alex finalized his decision Friday evening.

Mortensen, a 6-foot-2, 217-pound, strong-armed quarterback, is a vital piece of the puzzle needed for Georgia Southern’s offensive transformation. New head football coach Brian VanGorder and offensive coordinator Darin Hinshaw are currently in the initial stages of morphing GSU’s traditional triple-option attack into a spread set.

Mortensen will become eligible immediately and joins the Eagles with three years of eligibility remaining.

He’s been with the Razorbacks the past two seasons and was listed as their No. 2 quarterback the majority of last year. The redshirt freshman saw time in four games in 2005, passing for 63 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

Mortensen chose Georgia Southern over I-A Louisville, a move that would have required him to sit out one season and lose a year of eligibility.

His father said Georgia Southern was not on the radar when Alex first considered transferring, but the Eagles immediately became a possibility when VanGorder took over the program Dec. 9.

The hire caught Alex’s attention, particularly after the relationship he had established with VanGorder, a former Georgia defensive coordinator who tried to recruit Alex to the Bulldogs out of high school.

A heralded high school player from Landmark Christian High in Atlanta, Alex was offered scholarships from 22 I-A colleges out of high school.

He narrowed his choices to Auburn, Louisiana State University, Arkansas, North Carolina State and the University of North Carolina before committing to the Razorbacks prior to his senior season.

Bringing in a I-A transfer with a solid passing background throws current GSU quarterback Jayson Foster’s status into question.

Foster was prolific in 2005, his first year starting at the helm, and finished with 1,481 rushing yards.

A quarterback best suited for a run-oriented offense, Foster may move back to wide receiver, a position he flourished in in 2004 when he was named the Southern Conference freshman of the year.

Kill'em
January 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM
When the coaching staff was announced, it was mentioned that Georgia Southern was going to go for a lot of transfers. I don't mind the occasional transfer, but I don't want us becoming another Transfer U.

gsugt1
January 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Have a link ?

ChickenMan
January 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM
When the coaching staff was announced, it was mentioned that Georgia Southern was going to go for a lot of transfers. I don't mind the occasional transfer, but I don't want us becoming another Transfer U.

Expect a few this year and maybe next... as the new 'Spread' offense will require a different type player than was recruited for the triple option. UD had seven transfers in KC's first year... when the Hens were going from the Wing-t to the Spread... but the transfers numbers have been way down over the past two years.

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Have a link ?

HERE'S YER LINK..OR MAYBE UH PATTIE!......xsmoochx.....BRAWK!

blukeys
January 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Trust us on this one Kill'em if you make it to the Chatty with this guy at Quarterback, Rod (the Village Idiot) Gilmore will be able to talk about nothing else but the TRANSFERS PLAYING FOR GSU!!!!!!. Forget 6 NC's GSU will be "getting it done with Transfers" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Have a link ?
It was in the Savannah Morning News when the O.C. was announced. This about made me throw up.

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Trust us on this one Kill'em if you make it to the Chatty with this guy at Quarterback, Rod (the Village Idiot) Gilmore will be able to talk about nothing else but the TRANSFERS PLAYING FOR GSU!!!!!!. Forget 6 NC's GSU will be "getting it done with Transfers" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You are right about Gilmore taking away from the fact that Georgia Southern is one of the winningest programs over the last 20 years. It would be that we've now decided to raid the I-A ranks. Then again, I wish Rod Gilmore would just go away! Friggin' moron :nonono2:

youwouldno
January 8th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I think GSU's current situation is a time when transfers make sense for the program and the incoming players. UTC taking guys that get kicked off I-A teams, that's one thing... bringing in upstanding I-A players looking for PT is another. I think it's not good to rely on transfers to any significant degree, but an infusion while the program restructures is hard to argue against.

Kill'em
January 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I hate the idea of Georgia Southern taking transfers but if there is one positive thing that this does show is that van Gorder should be able to bring in good high school talent.

Laserlips
January 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think GSU's current situation is a time when transfers make sense for the program and the incoming players. UTC taking guys that get kicked off I-A teams, that's one thing... bringing in upstanding I-A players looking for PT is another. I think it's not good to rely on transfers to any significant degree, but an infusion while the program restructures is hard to argue against.

I agree. This 1A transfer is as far as I have read a quality individual. He is NOT a troublemaker, or problem child. He was facing only bench time at Arkansas where he can expect (if he has the skill, which I think he does) to start at GSU for 3 years... You can't blame a young man for wanting to play.

With the new head coach BVG and his "vision" of GSU football this transfer will be the right guy at the right time for GSU.

Lots of GSU fans are all gloom and doom about where BVG envisions taking the GSU football program, but these are the same folks who will (along with me) jump right on the BVG bandwagon if the change brings success.

Under Coach Sewak (a fine person I'm told) we were stagnating. Just making the playoffs (by the skin of our chinny chin chin) is never enough for the GSU faithful, and getting knocked out in the first round was just not acceptable.

I LOVE the triple option. It made GSU unique and for years it brought us success. But when BVG changes the 3/0 to something "else" and that "something else" brings us back to Chattanooga for the Championship game he will be hailed as the coming of the "second ERK".

Personally I am very excited about the direction this coaching change has make for GSU Eagle football. I think the changes made in the offense will be more condusive to a jump to 1A at some point in the future, which altho it hasn't been talked about too much IS where some folks want GSU to wind up.

All of the above is obviously my personal opinion and I have zero knowledge of any information from any persons "in the know", or "inside sources".

Finally, how many 1AA teams in the SoCon would have turned down the Arkansas transfer if he had come knocking at THEIR doors?

Best Wishes,

JP :beerchug:

youwouldno
January 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Furman probably wouldn't block Sorrells like that, not with his dad the OC.

henfan
January 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
The changes being made at GSU are an attempt to make the Eagles a better I-AA program. It's got little to do with I-A football.

Does anybody still really care if a kid comes from high school or transfers in from another college, so long as it's a good fit for the school, team and player?

Eaglegus2
January 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM
The changes being made at GSU are an attempt to make the Eagles a better I-AA program. It's got little to do with I-A football.

Does anybody still really care if a kid comes from high school or transfers in from another college, so long as it's a good fit for the school, team and player?

You are so correct!

Being a good fit for the Team and school is all that matters.

ChickenMan
January 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM
If you going to take a IA transfer... a QB is a good place to start. Unlike other positions... where 2d level guys often get the opportunity to make major contributions... the QB is a position where... traditionally... one guy gets the vast majority of playing time. As a result... if a talented player has the misfortune to be stuck behind an outstanding IA QB... he is unlikey to get a chance to display his abilities and therefore may look to transfer. These guys are not 'trouble makers' or 'someone else's problem'.. they are just quality players looking for a place to play. In just the past few years... there have been quite a few highly successful I-AA QBs who transfered in from IA programs... guys like...

JMU... Rascaciti... Louisville
Montana... Ochs... Colorado
Delaware... Hall... Georgia Tech
Furman... Martin... Florida
SHS... Long... Texas A&M

all leading their teams to playoff success and Rascati and Hall taking their schools to I-AA titles. Transfers may not always be the answer... but a teams chances of succes with a transfer QB seems to be pretty good.

Eagle_77
January 9th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I am one that is not usually for getting transfers because often times you are getting players that are no longer wanted by their teams. Most transfers are stereotyped into this category. This is not the case for Mortenson or several other transfers. This guy was in a situation where he was not going to get a lot of playing time and wanted an opportunity. This is not an I-A hand me down. This guy was offered a scholarship to go to Louisville the same time he was offered a scholarship by us. I believe he chose GSU because his chances are better for playing time and the roll he really wants but he is still a good enough player that a very good I-A school was willing to spend a scholarship on him.

TigerFan17
January 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Does mean more focus on I-AA from ESPN analysts? :coach: xazzx

DinoDex200
January 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM
This is probably the most important commitment BVG will get. Having an experienced QB capable of running his offense, and passing effectively, will make the transition much less painful. I can't speak to how the O-Line will handle it. To me that's the 2nd most important area in this changeover...

blueballs
January 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
This is probably the most important commitment BVG will get. Having an experienced QB capable of running his offense, and passing effectively, will make the transition much less painful. I can't speak to how the O-Line will handle it. To me that's the 2nd most important area in this changeover...

Excellent points.

Kill'em
January 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I does matter to me. Often you get someone else's problem. We've recently been linked to Marcus Vick and Jimtavious Walker. Both are outstanding talents but have serious off-field issues. Vick is a moot point now he's declared for the draft.

I will say that "Mort" is a different issue. He was well respected by his teamates and coaches and I just finished an article where the writer called him "nothing but class." I just hope this isn't a trend for us.