PDA

View Full Version : Writer: Drake Competes at D3 Level

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Figured some of the Pioneer League guys would want to drop an e-mail to [email protected] at [email protected] to inform him of his misprint!

Like Creighton, three other Valley schools — Wichita State, Bradley and Evansville — do not compete in football. Five other league members compete at the Division I-AA level, while Drake competes at the Division III levels.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100612/BLUEJAYS/706129729

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
My letter...

Steve,

In your recent article entitled, "Creighton, MVC bracing for effects of realignment" - you made an inaccurate statement pertaining to the makeup of the Missouri Valley Conference schools who alongside Creighton. I presume you are the beat writer for Creighton and may not be that familiar with how Division I football works...

" Like Creighton, three other Valley schools — Wichita State, Bradley and Evansville — do not compete in football. Five other league members compete at the Division I-AA level, while Drake competes at the Division III levels. "

Five other league members compete at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level. Worth noting that these schools play for a Division I national championship, something that Nebraska, Texas, LSU and Alabama do not. If you note, Mack Brown, Nick Saban and company have lifted a crystal ball and not a NCAA trophy like the one you probably saw at the NCAA Division I Volleyball Championships held in your neck of the woods.

Also, Drake competes in the Pioneer League. Yes, the league does not have scholarships like a Div III situation, but the Pioneer League is a Division I football conference. In fact, the reason that Drake, Dayton and the others were lifted from D3 football to Division I, was because their name recognition gave them what was perceived as an unfair advantage (Dayton won two national titles in the 1980s at the D3 level, which playing Div I across the board).

smallcollegefbfan
June 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Eh it isn't worth correcting people like that. If they are going to make those mistakes I realize they are not very reputable because they don't do their homework and I never read them. You don't know how many media outlets and writers I refuse to read anymore because they never get that stuff right! xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
It could be worse. I read one yesterday claiming Villanova was the Division II national champion.

smallcollegefbfan
June 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
It could be worse. I read one yesterday claiming Villanova was the Division II national champion.

Wow that is even worse than the Drake comment. Who wrote that? I definitely need to make sure I never read that source again!

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I only write sometimes...if the comments are really justified from us (the peanut gallery) - particularly if the guy just completed butchered Drake's status by calling them a member of D3 football... xnonox

The other stuff was just added in to make him realize there were more errors than that one...

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wow that is even worse than the Drake comment. Who wrote that? I definitely need to make sure I never read that source again!

Notre Dame's Blue and Gold Illustrated.

http://www.blueandgold.com/content/?aid=9282

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
It truly is startling at how many people are incapable and/or unwilling to understand that FCS is Division One and/or that it is a distinct classification that is not part of D-II.

And haven't Dayton and their compadres been part of FCS (I-AA) for over a decade now? Boggles my mind that some of these characters are earning good money to do these jobs! xbangx xbangx

wr70beh
June 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm sure some people think the MAC and Sun Belt are Division II. For some people, if you aren't BCS, they don't care.

PantherRob82
June 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I have a hard time arguing that Drake isn't D3. :p

FargoBison
June 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I hear you, I remember when Valpo came to the Fargodome a few years ago. They never crossed the 50 yard line, pretty sure some local DIII teams would have put up more of a fight.

I'm not saying all PFL teams are that way, but if your looking for slams calling Nova a DII champ is much bigger. Nova would demolish the DII elite.

TSUalum05
June 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
TT -- did he ever respond?

doolittledog
June 14th, 2010, 07:06 AM
It truly is startling at how many people are incapable and/or unwilling to understand that FCS is Division One and/or that it is a distinct classification that is not part of D-II.

And haven't Dayton and their compadres been part of FCS (I-AA) for over a decade now? Boggles my mind that some of these characters are earning good money to do these jobs! xbangx xbangx

It's also truly startling at the lack of fact checking, editing and writing skills that goes on at newspapers these days.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2010, 07:39 AM
TT -- did he ever respond?

No response as of 'post time'...

Some columnists respond, others do not. We'll see if we hear anything... xreadx

smallcollegefbfan
June 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM
No response as of 'post time'...

Some columnists respond, others do not. We'll see if we hear anything... xreadx

If I was him I would not reply. I would just do better next time. He knows he looks like an idiot now and he either works hard to correct it next time or he simply doesn't care and won't respond or even worry about fixing it next time.

Model Citizen
June 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
... Drake competes at the Division III levels.

I wonder how many Division III levels he thinks there are. xeyebrowx