PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming to FCS?

bjtheflamesfan
June 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I was on another message board and somebody posited the possibility of the Wyoming Cowboys dropping down to FCS (in contrast with the talk of FCS teams moving up to FBS) due to financial constraints. WHere do you think theyd land if such a thing were to happen...Big Sky? (probably replacing Montana if they got called up to the WAC) Great West?

TheBisonator
June 11th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Wyoming and the Griz have always belonged in the same conference. Perhaps a new WAC???

How does this conference sound?

New Mexico State
Wyoming
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Montana
Montana State
Texas State
Colorado State
Utah State
Idaho

And then this conference??

Nevada
Hawaii
UNLV
San Jose State
Cal Poly
Fresno State
San Diego State
UC Davis
Sacramento State
Portland State

darell1976
June 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wyoming if dropped down and replaced by Montana would be in the Big Sky or else the Great West would be perfect for them, They would be in the middle between the California teams and the Dakota teams.

TheBisonator
June 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Wyoming if dropped down and replaced by Montana would be in the Big Sky or else the Great West would be perfect for them, They would be in the middle between the California teams and the Dakota teams.

If I hat to bet, I would think Wyoming will stay in the FBS, but in a conference that's a notch below the current Mountain West. Either in a conference like I mentioned, or in some other kind of mutant WAC/MWC/FCS offspring.

Green Laser
June 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Wyoming and the Griz have always belonged in the same conference. Perhaps a new WAC???

How does this conference sound?

New Mexico State
Wyoming
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Montana
Montana State
Texas State
Colorado State
Utah State
Idaho

And then this conference??

Nevada
Hawaii
UNLV
San Jose State
Cal Poly
Fresno State
San Diego State
UC Davis
Sacramento State
Portland State

Works for me! Maybe with the reformed Big Sky;

Weber State
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Idaho State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota
South Dakota

TheBisonator
June 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Works for me! Maybe with the reformed Big Sky;

Weber State
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Idaho State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota
South Dakota

I'm glad to see a fan of another school that likes this idea.xrotatehx

I started a new thread talking about this conference idea.

EmeryZach
June 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
They just started playing well. They should try to stick it out. Hit up Cheney for some money.

NoCoDanny
June 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
They aren't moving down in a million years, Wyoming has deeper pockets than you think and the entire state's genitals are measured by the fact they have been able to hang at the level they are.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I think things are going to change in the land of non-BCS FBS once all this realignment is done. The pretense of the WAC being somehow on the same planet as the Pac-N will hold little water.

MaximumBobcat
June 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
This has been brought up before and I have said this before:

I am familiar with and friends with a large number of Wyoming boosters and state politicians.

They are NOT moving down to FCS. Plain and simple.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM
All of this movement is something I certainly am appreciating. I have always been of the opinion that the "haves" of college football need to play in several big conferences with big money games.

I am a firm believer that many of the teams in FBS football have no business whatsoever playing at that level. They simply are not competitive unless they are playing schools from their own tiny conference. My hope is that those teams will drop down to FCS and make a more competitive level of football. How much fun would it be if some of those Western teams that are just place holders (Wyoming, Idaho, Utah State, etc) would come down and really inject life into FCS football West of the Mississippi?

Saint3333
June 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
There should be three levels of college football:

BCS - 64-80 teams

FCS - The remaining FBS teams and the top 50-60 FCS teams (mostly from the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, MVC, and Southland)

Partial scholarship FCS division

This of course will not happen.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM
There should be three levels of college football:

BCS - 64-80 teams

FCS - The remaining FBS teams and the top 50-60 FCS teams (mostly from the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, MVC, and Southland)

Partial scholarship FCS division

This of course will not happen.

That's the way I'd like to see it. There's just such a disparity at the FBS level. UGA has just a football budget of 11 million dollars. Who can compete with that if you aren't one of the great football powers in the country? You can't.

Just make 6 power conferences (Pac 10, Big 10, Mountain West, SEC, ACC, and Big East). Everyone else goes to FCS. Let's get the Buffalos, Wyomings, Idahos, MTSUs, and North Texases of the world back down to where they can play competitive football and can compete for a title.

I simply don't understand why teams clamor to move up to the FBS and be virtually assured of never playing for a national title. These teams can go 12-0 and never get a shot at a title game. No, they get an SEC school in a bowl game that proves to them resoundingly why they didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

What's wrong with just accepting that your school is what it is and, if that happens to be an FCS school, just move on?

ngineer
June 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
We need another school with brown colors in FCS!;)