PDA

View Full Version : Who would you add or kick out of your conference?

SU Jag
January 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM
If you had the chance to add or give any team(s) the boot, who would you give it to? xprost2x

Grizo406
January 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Not sure who I'd give the boot to, but I'd really like to see the Dakota schools in the BSC.

GAD
January 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't kick anyone out but I would like to add Tuskgee, Albany St., FAMU, and Bethune-Cookman

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I know it's never happen, but I'd love to add Southern, Grambling, and Jackson State to the Southland.

JMU2004
January 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM
no idea how to do it, but I would like ASU and GSU in a conference with JMU , W&M, and UD

Hansel
January 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't kick anyone out but I would like to add Tuskgee, Albany St., FAMU, and Bethune-Cookman
Albany St
FAMU
BCC
Hampton
SC St
Southern
Grambling
Jackson St
Bama St
Tuskegee

Now that would be a conf I would like to watch :nod:

GOKATS
January 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
If you had the chance to add or give any team(s) the boot, who would you give it to? xprost2x

Don't even have to think twice about it- The Griz!!

Just kiddin', best rivalry west of the Mississippi. :beerchug:

SU Jag
January 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I would love to add Tennessee State, Tuskegee, and Albany State! :)

MR. CHICKEN
January 6th, 2006, 09:20 PM
AH'D THUMP...NORFFEASTERN (DEY GIVE US ALOT O' GRIEF!)....AN' AH'D ADD....DELAWARE STATE....JES' KIDDIN'..EDGAR...JES' KIDDIN'!......xlolx....BRAWQ!

igo4uni
January 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Who wants Indiana State??

Anyone??

Hello??

Please!!!

MR. CHICKEN
January 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
WE'LL TAKE I STATE...AN' GIVE YA'LL RHODEY.....AN' THROW IN 'NOVA!....:p...AFLAC!

ngineer
January 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I would add Villanova and Richmond to the PL.

MR. CHICKEN
January 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
'CUSE..DUH BLUE COLLAR.....CHICKEN!.......DUH OXYGEN IN PATRIOT LAND....IS UH TAD .....THIN...CAUSIN' ONE M-HAWK....TA RAISE HIS BEAK IN DUH AIR.....xlolx.......BRAWQ!

ngineer
January 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
'CUSE..DUH BLUE COLLAR.....CHICKEN!.......DUH OXYGEN IN PATRIOT LAND....IS UH TAD .....THIN...CAUSIN' ONE M-HAWK....TA RAISE HIS BEAK.....xlolx.......BRAWQ!

Not sure I understand the drift. The question is who would I like to see added or deleted from our league. Richmond and Villanova have the basic demographics that fit well with the PL. Of course, it assumes either they revise their 'scholarship' methods or the PL goes to full scholarships. I think the PL could use another one or two teams. I don't care to see any of the existing teams booted, though would like to see G'town get their program up to speed.

Mr. Tiger
January 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I would love to see a SWAC/MEAC merger. With a Tenn St. addition.

Western Division
Jackson State
Grambling
Southern
Alabama State
Alabama A&M
Alcorn State

Eastern Division
Tennessee State
Hampton
South Carolina State
North Carolina A&T
Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman

The conference would play seven league games, five in the division and two against the other division. All the major SWAC/MEAC classics would be conference games. The Bayou Classic (Grambling, Southern), The Magic City Classic (Alabama State, Alabama A&M), The Florida Classic (Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman), and The Southern Heritage Classic (Jackson State and Tennessee State). This is one of my dreams.

EagleCrusade
January 6th, 2006, 11:28 PM
BOOT: Wofford, Elon

Gain: Jacksonville State, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State, Troy

BestOfBreed
January 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
BOOT: Wofford, Elon

Gain: Jacksonville State, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State, Troy

That wouldn't have anything to do with Wofford beating the eagles 3 out of the last 4 years would it :D

HiHiYikas
January 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I would like to see another Virginia team in the SoCon...there are two or three good choices...

I know Davidson would probably just be a conference doormat, but it might be nice, if only for neatness' sake, to see them play football with the rest of the SoCon. Why don't they do this already?

Then again, if they were in, they'd probably get my vote for the team to boot.

griz37
January 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I think the BSC needs to lose Sac St. & like Grizo said gain one of the Dakota schools or even Cal Poly, although that is less likely since they are a member of the Big West in other sports.

Sly Fox
January 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
In the Big South we're in no position to be thinking about giving anyone the boot. I probably would've said Charleston Southern six months ago. Now they're league champs.

As for additions, any school not from Savannah.

ASU Kep
January 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I'd like to see the SOCON swap Elon for CCU, making the conference marginally stronger and continuing quite possibly the biggest message-board-rivalry in all of I-AA. :D

65 Pard
January 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
As long as we're dreaming, here's an interesting scenario: PL and Ivy merge, with Colgate moving to Ivy conference and Princeton plus Penn moving to Patriot Conference for geographic balance. Conference champs play for league championship. That would send one very strong contender to the 1AA playoffs with an at large also very likely. It would become a premier league.

Would also work in other sports.....I know it's not within the realm of possibility but I thought it was a fun notion.

JaxSinfonian
January 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I'd like to see North Alabama move up from D-II and join the OVC. They're an old rival, and a good fit for the conference geographically. Very strong football tradition, with three consecutive D-II titles (after JSU left for I-AA, of course).

They're too chicken to move up, though. And with people like this encouraging them to stay put (http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/columns/051130.shtml)I don't guess it'll ever happen:

"Sometimes it's good, but sometimes it's good to stay the same. While NCAA Division I-A and I-AA enticed former Gulf South Conference rivals Troy and Jacksonville State to move up, North Alabama has remained in Division II. UNA made the better choice. "

The guy didn't let the facts get in the way of his point in this column. He muttered something about Jax State's attendance being unimpressive (Four games over 12,000? Hello?), and glossed over the fact that UNA averaged 8,066. "UNA expects a crowd of about 14,000 in Florence to show for Saturday's semifinal playoff game," he said. Try 8,421.

I should have posted a link to his coulmn here when it was published and asked you all to tear into him. Oh, what the heck. It's not too late ... go for it.

JSU Fan
January 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM
That writer's mustache looks like a "Van Gorder" to me.

Out.

leatherneck177
January 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I agree, I think it is time to get Indiana St out. I know all schools go through tough times, but they have been in a rut fro quite a while.

I'd like to add one or both of the Dakota schools or possibly bring Eastern Illinois back to the Gateway.

slostang
January 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I would like to see the Big Sky take North Dakota State and South Dakota State as full members and UC Davis, Southern Utah, and Cal Poly as football only members and form a two division super football conference like the A-10. It could be split many different ways, but here is one possibility:

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Weber State
Southern Utah

East:

Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Northern Arizona

This would already rival any conference in I-AA and may be the best. When the four transition schools become fully funded with scholarships it would definately be IMO. Davis, NDSU, SDSU are already taking on some of the top teams in I-AA and winning or giving them all they want. I know it wont happen, but it would be cool.

Ivytalk
January 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ivy League:

Drop: Cornell (thought I would say Columbia, dincha?). Freakin' cow college.

Add: (Drum roll) Colgate!! "They're good enough, they're smart enough, and goldangit, people like them!!" :D

ngineer
January 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
As long as we're dreaming, here's an interesting scenario: PL and Ivy merge, with Colgate moving to Ivy conference and Princeton moving to Patriot Conference for geographic balance. Conference champs play for league championship. That would send one very strong contender to the 1AA playoffs with an at large also very likely. It would become a premier league.

Would also work in other sports.....I know it's not within the realm of possibility but I thought it was a fun notion.

You're not dreaming, you're hallucinating on some 'heavy acid'!! :D But I do agree that would make for wonderful conference---"Imagine" said John Lennon ;)

kalm
January 7th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I would like to see the Big Sky take North Dakota State and South Dakota State as full members and UC Davis, Southern Utah, and Cal Poly as football only members and form a two division super football conference like the A-10. It could be split many different ways, but here is one possibility:

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Weber State
Southern Utah

East:

Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Northern Arizona

This would already rival any conference in I-AA and may be the best. When the four transition schools become fully funded with scholarships it would definately be IMO. Davis, NDSU, SDSU are already taking on some of the top teams in I-AA and winning or giving them all they want. I know it wont happen, but it would be cool.

I thought Poly and Davis were already in the Big Sky :)

But personally, I'd prefer north-south:

EWU, UM, MSU, PSU, NDSU, SDSU, ISU

NAU, WSU, UNC, SUU, Poly, UCD, Sac,

Better geographical rivalries. Missoula and Cheney are only three hours 1/2 apart. EWU would want the Griz in the same division.

But since we're now talking dream conferences, I would dump Sac. State and force Boise, Nevada, and Idaho to return to the better division and the Big Sky. :)

Pard4Life
January 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Hello AGS Fans;

My name is Arthur Rothkopf and I propose the following Patriot League additions and subtractions in relation to Lafayette College:

Drop:
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Lehigh

In regards to Lehigh, the rivalry is no longer conducive to today's atmosphere of high academic standards. Lafayette and Lehigh are not on par with each other academically. The College must join schools that have equivalent academic missions. This has led me to propose the following:

Add:
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Princeton
Penn
Yale

I fully expect, and am confident, that the Board will approve this measure unanimously.

Sincerely,

Artie

(ps I know where you all live Board members! :anim_chai )

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
SHSU is dropping ULM as they go to the Sun Belt and adding Central Arkansas to the SLC for all sports and A&M-CC for everything but football giving us this...

For football
SFA
TxSt
SHSU
UCA
NW ST
Nicholls
McNeese
SELA

Others:
A&M-CC
Lamar
UTA
UTSA

I'd like to see one or two of our non-football schools add football. One addition means eight SLC games and three (or four, pending NCAA legislation) out of conference. This guarantees four home games. I'm worried if we don't add more members for football, some of our conference schools will make sure to have two Div I games yearly. Would prefer to minimize this so we can get more playoff schools.

With 11 games...
Four SLC home
Four SLC road
Div I-A game
2 Div I-AA games (home, away)

With 12 games...
Four SLC home
Four SLC road
Div I-A game
2 Div I-AA games (home, away)
2nd Div I-A game or Div II/NAIA game

OL FU
January 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM
SoCon - I would love to see Virgina teams come back, but VMI, W&M and Richmond left so I don't see them coming back. I don't see Hampton leaving the MEAC and Liberty is going I-A( :nod: :rotateh: )

I wouldn't mind SC ST or CCU but that just deepens the Carolina Conference perception. Dump, Bball only UNC Greensboro and then it might work.

I would like to keep Chattanooga so JAcksonville ST would work fine and would be competitive from the start. But I like others see Chat going OVC before JSU goes SoCon

Hey EKU, how far away are you? I would take EKU and think it would be good for both.

OL FU
January 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
That wouldn't have anything to do with Wofford beating the eagles 3 out of the last 4 years would it :D

Absolutely, If someone considers this question for football only and says dump Wofford, they either haven't been paying attention or they are tired of getting beat by that school that should under no circumstances should ever beat them

OL FU
January 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I would like to see another Virginia team in the SoCon...there are two or three good choices...

I know Davidson would probably just be a conference doormat, but it might be nice, if only for neatness' sake, to see them play football with the rest of the SoCon. Why don't they do this already?

Then again, if they were in, they'd probably get my vote for the team to boot.

Davidson quit providing football scholarships. I think they give a small number of equivalencies. The only thing that Davidson would give the SoCon is the possibility that Elon might win a conference game.

slostang
January 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'd like to see one or two of our non-football schools add football. One addition means eight SLC games and three (or four, pending NCAA legislation) out of conference. This guarantees four home games. I'm worried if we don't add more members for football, some of our conference schools will make sure to have two Div I games yearly. Would prefer to minimize this so we can get more playoff schools.

The Southland Conference teams just need to schedule more games with Great West teams. With UNC leaving the GWFC, teams from the Great West have only four conference games a year currently and need to schedule 7 out of conference games now and 8 if the NCAA allows 12 games for I-AA.

With the Big Sky adding UNC they lose a out of conference game each year, making it harder for the GWFC teams to schedule games with them. Poly had five games against Big Sky teams in 2005. We will be lucky if we have three or four this year. Also it is getting tougher for teams from the Great West to schedule OOC games because they have done well the last two years and will only get better when all of the transitional teams become fully funded with scholarships. Currently only NDSU has the full 63 scholarships with UC Davis and SDSU becoming fully funded in the next two or three years.

SoCon48
January 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Davidson quit providing football scholarships. I think they give a small number of equivalencies. The only thing that Davidson would give the SoCon is the possibility that Elon might win a conference game.

OUCH! :asswhip:

LeopardFan04
January 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hello AGS Fans;

My name is Arthur Rothkopf and I propose the following Patriot League additions and subtractions in relation to Lafayette College:

:lmao:

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
The Southland Conference teams just need to schedule more games with Great West teams. With UNC leaving the GWFC, teams from the Great West have only four conference games a year currently and need to schedule 7 out of conference games now and 8 if the NCAA allows 12 games for I-AA.

Well, UCA has sure hit the ground running. Got one GWFC game inked, right?

GWFC has played quite a few SLC games and it'd be great if the GWFC kept up that relations. I know UNC has left, but they are keeping SLC foes on their radar (with TxSt after finishing home-and-home with SHSU).

The issue is, California is a schlep from Texas and even more so from Louisiana. Not sure SLC teams are inclined to flying that far away. I think a 12th game would increase SWAC/SLC games and OVC games with SLC. Gateway is increasing. It's just an expensive journey to California. The Dakotas are fine though. We need some more westward bound I-AAs!

JoltinJoe
January 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hello AGS Fans;

Sincerely,

Artie

(ps I know where you all live Board members! :anim_chai )

The year is young but this one has post of the year possibilities.

:lmao:

dirtbag
January 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Weber State
Southern Utah

East:

Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Northern Arizona

:boring:

Without a conference championship game, I don't see the point of a multi-division conference.

carney2
January 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The Patriot League should pick up Elon.

I REALLY miss Pete. He was our 12th man.

slostang
January 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM
The issue is, California is a schlep from Texas and even more so from Louisiana. Not sure SLC teams are inclined to flying that far away. It's just an expensive journey to California. The Dakotas are fine though. We need some more westward bound I-AAs!
Texas State did in 2004 and Cal Poly was scheduled to return the trip in 2005 to open the season. Texas State pushed it back to a date in the future. I am not sure if it has been scheduled or if Cal Poly still owes them one and at a date that is still to be determined. I would love to see Poly play any of the Texas schools. I have relatives in Texas and would make the trip for sure. California is beautiful in September and you could come early and enjoy a day at the beach or wine tasting. It would definately be a break from the heat of Texas.

As far as westward bound I-AA's, I would love to see San Diego add scholarships and come into the GWFC.

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Texas State did in 2004 and Cal Poly was scheduled to return the trip in 2005 to open the season. Texas State pushed it back to a date in the future. I am not sure if it has been scheduled or if Cal Poly still owes them one and at a date that is still to be determined. I would love to see Poly play any of the Texas schools. I have relatives in Texas and would make the trip for sure. California is beautiful in September and you could come early and enjoy a day at the beach or wine tasting. It would definately be a break from the heat of Texas.

Texas St also has a football and athletic budget that dwarfs many other schools, including doubles up Nicholls State (which actually has less than some non-FB schools) and is atleast $3M more than SHSU, which tied the Cats for #1 in the Commish Cup last year. They're much different than the rest of the SLC.

The money is just not there for most SLC schools to really travel as much as they'd like. We're seeing schools in our conference scheduling in-state and nearby I-AAs up the wazoo. SHSU has Texas and SMU. TxSt has Kentucky. NW State has Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss, SELA has Texas Tech, McNeese even has two I-AAs.

ngineer
January 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Several years ago, when Lafayette was in the midst of the "Decision" on their football program, I obtained a piece of Lafayette stationary. Two of my partners were Lafayette grads and a number of friends around town.

I prepared a formal looking "Memorandum" to all Lafayette Alumni from "Artie" reporting on the outcome of the 'clandestine' meeting of the Board of Trustees in New York that everyone knew was occuring.

"I" announced that the Board had decided to leave the Patriot League, but rather than drop to Division III, as many feared was going to occur, the Leopards were going to be the Founding and Charter members of a new NCAA Division IV where they would be the only member. "I" concluded that , in that way, "Lafayette will be able to do what it does best...play with itself."

Up until the last paragraph I had really 'hooked in' a number of my friends (they remain friendly today despite this!) :D
I have kept a copy of this Memo 'just in case' it might be needed in the future. ;)

LeopardFan04
January 7th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Several years ago, when Lafayette was in the midst of the "Decision" on their football program, I obtained a piece of Lafayette stationary. Two of my partners were Lafayette grads and a number of friends around town.

I prepared a formal looking "Memorandum" to all Lafayette Alumni from "Artie" reporting on the outcome of the 'clandestine' meeting of the Board of Trustees in New York that everyone knew was occuring.

"I" announced that the Board had decided to leave the Patriot League, but rather than drop to Division III, as many feared was going to occur, the Leopards were going to be the Founding and Charter members of a new NCAA Division IV where they would be the only member. "I" concluded that , in that way, "Lafayette will be able to do what it does best...play with itself."

Up until the last paragraph I had really 'hooked in' a number of my friends (they remain friendly today despite this!) :D
I have kept a copy of this Memo 'just in case' it might be needed in the future. ;)

Cruel, but funny! I guess it can be laughed about now... :lmao:

crunifan
January 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
My perfect conference:

MISSOURI VALLEY

West:

UNI
North Dakota State
Missouri State
Wichita State (They need football back)
Drake (give scholarships again...please?)

East:

SIU
Western Kentucky
Illinois State
Indiana State
Youngstown State

Then, kick out Evansville in the MVC and add Western Kentucky. Youngstown State would be football only as they are now. And North Dakota State would also be football only since Creighton has no football team.

GeauxLions94
January 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Texas St also has a football and athletic budget that dwarfs many other schools, including doubles up Nicholls State (which actually has less than some non-FB schools) and is atleast $3M more than SHSU, which tied the Cats for #1 in the Commish Cup last year. They're much different than the rest of the SLC.

The money is just not there for most SLC schools to really travel as much as they'd like. We're seeing schools in our conference scheduling in-state and nearby I-AAs up the wazoo. SHSU has Texas and SMU. TxSt has Kentucky. NW State has Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss, SELA has Texas Tech, McNeese even has two I-AAs.

We also have Southern Miss on the schedule for next year. We've taken two trips out west since bringing back football in '03 (2003 to St. Mary's and 2005 to Northern Colorado).

Would like to see us play some more games out west (NAU, Montana, Montana State though I don't see that happening during the regular-season).

mainejeff
January 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM
My perfect conferences:

Maine
UNH
Northeastern
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Villanova

Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
William & Mary
Appalachian State
Western Carolina
Furman
Georgia Southern

bulldog10jw
January 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
As long as we're dreaming, here's an interesting scenario: PL and Ivy merge, with Colgate moving to Ivy conference and Princeton plus Penn moving to Patriot Conference for geographic balance. Conference champs play for league championship. That would send one very strong contender to the 1AA playoffs with an at large also very likely. It would become a premier league.

It is fun to imagine.

There may be a scheduling problem, even with 11 games. Yale(and maybe Harvard, also) HAS to play Princeton every year and they are now in the Patriot Division. How do you work out who you play in the other division and who you play OOC. With 8 teams in one division and 7 in the other it may be tough. Another team may be needed.

By the way, you have an Ivy division and a Patriot division. What do we name the League.

Go...gate
January 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I vote for '65 Pard's scenario, with two additions; Army and Navy. Best conference in 1-AA, hands down.

Pard4Life
January 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I vote for '65 Pard's scenario, with two additions; Army and Navy. Best conference in 1-AA, hands down.

:nod:

We all forgot about them!

blukeys
January 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Army and Navy as I-AA teams????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fantasy is really taking over. :smiley_wi

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 01:10 AM

I don't think, even if that was possible, that two service academies could make that move without considering the third, Air Force. Air Force ain't goin' nowhere.

Although, the Air Force in the Big Sky sounds interesting...hmmmm. ;) ;)

carney2
January 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Not a chance. The alumni would go berserk and, unlike the alumni at other institutions, the grads of these institutions were given guns as graduation gifts.

65 Pard
January 8th, 2006, 09:06 AM
It is fun to imagine.

There may be a scheduling problem, even with 11 games. Yale(and maybe Harvard, also) HAS to play Princeton every year and they are now in the Patriot Division. How do you work out who you play in the other division and who you play OOC. With 8 teams in one division and 7 in the other it may be tough. Another team may be needed.

By the way, you have an Ivy division and a Patriot division. What do we name the League.

Why not name it the Ivy League to humor the new members?....As for inter division play, teams would be free to schedule at will, with each team required to play 9 or 10 league games but they would have to play everyone in their division each year... You could designate the Divisions as Ivy North and Ivy South.

As for picking up another team, they would line up to join the new Ivy League..

Agree Army Navy never would move to 1AA.

colgate13
January 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Why not name it the Ivy League to humor the new members?....As for inter division play, teams would be free to schedule at will, with each team required to play 9 or 10 league games but they would have to play everyone in their division each year... You could designate the Divisions as Ivy North and Ivy South.

As for picking up another team, they would line up to join the new Ivy League..

Agree Army Navy never would move to 1AA.

65 -

I've long dreamt of such a conference - but in my crazy dreams I take it one step further, and actually create a new collegiate association with the NESCAC schools and a few other 'Johns Hopkins' like schools for a 30-40 team collegiate association that has it's own playoffs, own 3-4 conferences, own TV contracts...

The Ivy is the only league that has the weight to pull it off, but if they wanted to, and wanted to invest in athletic marketing, I could see a chance that it would be successful to break away from the NCAA.

colgate13
January 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ivy League:

Drop: Cornell (thought I would say Columbia, dincha?). Freakin' cow college.

Add: (Drum roll) Colgate!! "They're good enough, they're smart enough, and goldangit, people like them!!" :D

:bow: :bow: :bow:

How I wish we had some Cornell posters on here!

DotCat
January 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM
The SoCon
Boot
Elon
Wofford
The Citadel...only because they should be wherever VMI is.
GaSouthern...just because Statesboro is a long drive.

Add
EKU
W&M
JMU
NCA&T...just for fun and to see their band travel.

carney2
January 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
The Ivy is the only league that has the weight to pull it off, but if they wanted to, and wanted to invest in athletic marketing, I could see a chance that it would be successful to break away from the NCAA.

Talk about :deadhorse

The Ivys aren't going to change a thing. There is nothing in it for them. Each of them revels in the academic glow that is cast by the others. Keeping themselves "exclusive" is nothing but a win-win for all of them.

OL FU
January 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
The SoCon
Boot
Elon
Wofford

Add
EKU
W&M
JMU

Not that I agree, cuz I don't, but I think anyone booting the Citadel needs a history lesson. Furman and the Citadel are the grandaddies of the current SoCon. Both joined in 1936.

PS, Davidson joined that year also, but since they don't play football in the SoCon any more, they don't count

JALMOND
January 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
The Big Sky? Easy...

Kick out N Colorado (before they play a conference game) and replace with Cal Poly. Much stronger conference. We don't need an "Elon" in the Big Sky.

Go...gate
January 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
The way AFA football is going, who knows. They are beginning to experience the same difficulties competing that Army and Navy have since the Vietnam War.

NoCoDanny
January 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
The Big Sky? Easy...

Kick out N Colorado (before they play a conference game) and replace with Cal Poly. Much stronger conference. We don't need an "Elon" in the Big Sky.

Having just moved up luckily we have the Portland State model to use as an example of how not to handle the move up.

Pard4Life
January 8th, 2006, 08:53 PM
The Big Sky? Easy...

Cant' say anything about N. Colorado, but Cal Poly is an attractive team for any conference. I don't know if Montana would want them around though....

Isn't Cal Poly moving to a conference? I can't remember.

Pard4Life
January 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
65 -

I've long dreamt of such a conference - but in my crazy dreams I take it one step further, and actually create a new collegiate association with the NESCAC schools and a few other 'Johns Hopkins' like schools for a 30-40 team collegiate association that has it's own playoffs, own 3-4 conferences, own TV contracts...

Talk about a radical. :lmao:

I like it.

Tod
January 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Cant' say anything about N. Colorado, but Cal Poly is an attractive team for any conference. I don't know if Montana would want them around though....

Isn't Cal Poly moving to a conference? I can't remember.

I think it's been said before on AGS that there's no way Cal Poly would join the Big Sky because it's an all sports conference. Maybe I'm confusing Cal Poly with UCD? :confused:

Killtoppers90
January 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Can we just boot the entire OVC and let some of the other conferences take in the schools. I'd love to have EKU and Jax State in the Gateway. And I am almost certain that TSU and Murray State could work in the SWAC!

Poly Pigskin
January 8th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I think it's been said before on AGS that there's no way Cal Poly would join the Big Sky because it's an all sports conference. Maybe I'm confusing Cal Poly with UCD? :confused:

No way either school will go, since UCD is transitioning to the Big West.

Laserlips
January 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Busted.... :o

EagleCrusade
January 9th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Absolutely, If someone considers this question for football only and says dump Wofford, they either haven't been paying attention or they are tired of getting beat by that school that should under no circumstances should ever beat them

Exactly football only. The question was, who would you kick out of your conference? I took it as overall. Wofford came to mind.

What do they bring to the table? Nothing. Horrible fan support at all their sporting events.

Horrible basketball, horrible baseball.

Point to the fact they beat us in football 3 out of 4 years and I'll point to the fact we took action on this. Sure 3 out 4....if thats the only thing Wofford has to brag about in football then...wow what a great team they got. They beat Georgia Southern. They're 3-6 against GSU since they joined the SoCon.

Seriously what does Wofford bring to the SoCon besides inflated SAT scores and the smallest D-I school in the country? Not name recognition. Not athletics money. Have you seen their RPI's for baseball and basketball? Down there with Savannah State.

OL FU
January 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Exactly football only. The question was, who would you kick out of your conference? I took it as overall. Wofford came to mind.

What do they bring to the table? Nothing. Horrible fan support at all their sporting events.

Point to the fact they beat us in football 3 out of 4 years and I'll point to the fact we took action on this. Sure 3 out 4....if thats the only thing Wofford has to brag about in football then...wow what a great team they got. They beat Georgia Southern. They're 3-6 against GSU since they joined the SoCon.

Seriously what does Wofford bring to the SoCon besides inflated SAT scores and the smallest D-I school in the country? Not name recognition. Not athletics money. Have you seen their RPI's for baseball and basketball? Down there with Savannah State.

From a football perspective their record against GSU is better than Furman's.
I will be honest, I don't keep up with the other sports as much as I should so you may be correct. When I was at Furman, we were a basketball school and had been for 30 years. Certainly can't say that about us now.

I think the term "inflated" is not the correct one. Inflated conjures up images of not worth the number. Kinda like Groucho's concept of an 8 cent nickel. I would say the SAT's are way above the norm, just like Furman's. :nod: :p

Eaglegus2
January 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM

There are numerous Teams that have poor fan support when their team travels. I wouldn't point my finger at Wofford. What does Elon have to offer?

EagleCrusade
January 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
There are numerous Teams that have poor fan support when their team travels. I wouldn't point my finger at Wofford. What does Elon have to offer?

Traveling? It's not traveling that I was talking about. It was playing at your home site.

Elon is just as bad as Wofford.

Cocky
January 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I would start from scratch. With JSU close to the center of course.

Ga Southern
Furman
Chattanooga
Jacksonville State
FAMU
Tenn State
Western Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky
Samford
App State

My rules:
No D-II or NAIA teams in football
Basketball must play RPI of 175 or higher

EagleCrusade
January 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
From a football perspective their record against GSU is better than Furman's.
I will be honest, I don't keep up with the other sports as much as I should so you may be correct. When I was at Furman, we were a basketball school and had been for 30 years. Certainly can't say that about us now.

I think the term "inflated" is not the correct one. Inflated conjures up images of not worth the number. Kinda like Groucho's concept of an 8 cent nickel. I would say the SAT's are way above the norm, just like Furman's. :nod: :p

Again, having a certain record against one team means nothing. Furman is in a whole other echelon when compared to Wofford. Furman has a poor record against GSU but every GS fan will say this about Furman, "Man, they're really good. They have a great football team and its fun when we play them because its the best game of the year. I love it when the Furmans come to town. Oh and they suck more than anything."

Furman may not have the type of all-sport success or attendance numbers that they once did, but its ten times better than Wofford. I dont think anyone in the conference has huge support for all their teams besides College of Charleston (those people are crazy). I wish more schools were that way about all their sports. Unlike pro teams, there's more than one sport in college. And they need each other to survive.

AppGuy04
January 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Competition wise I'd kick out Elon, but that would take away an automatic win, so I vote to keep them

I'd like to add Coastal to show them what a real conference schedule is like :nod:

JaxStateManager
January 9th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'd like to see Tennessee State removed from the OVC, mainly due to the "partial" conference schedule they play each season. IMO, they'd probably be a better fit and more successful in the SWAC.

GSUhooligan
January 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Drop Elon and add Valdosta State

BestOfBreed
January 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM

You would think that 3 game sweep of Georgia Southern last year in baseball (@ GSU) would have helped Wofford's baseball RPI a little :)

DinoDex200
January 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM

And add a real stadium for the Blazers while we're at it! :)

SU Jag
January 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM
The SoCon
Boot
Elon
Wofford

Add

Maybe this is a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway! Are the bands from the HBCU conferences the only ones to travel to away games with the team? :confused:

Cocky
January 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway! Are the bands from the HBCU conferences the only ones to travel to away games with the team? :confused:

Our band normally makes a couple of trips per year to away games. This doesn't include the contest and festivals the Southerners participate in.

SU Jag
January 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Our band normally makes a couple of trips per year to away games. This doesn't include the contest and festivals the Southerners participate in.

At Southern everwhere we went, the "Jukebox" went also! I think its like that for most of the HBCUs. :nod:

AZGrizFan
January 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Weber State
Southern Utah

East:

Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Northern Arizona

slostang--I proposed this on another thread earlier last week...or something very similar. I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'd be all for this alignment.

I think I'd actually do a North/South alignment something to this effect:

North:

Montana
Montana State
EWU
NDSU
UNC
ISU
PSU

South:

NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Weber State
SDSU
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Each team would play the 6 others in their division each year, 3 from the "other" division, and maybe 2 OOC/year. It would significantly cut down on travel expenses (well,maybe not SIGNIFICANTLY), and make for some new, heated rivalries in each division.

It won't ever happen, but hey, we can dream, can't we?? :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

bigbluetiger
January 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Ga Southern
Furman
Chattanooga
Jacksonville State
FAMU
Tenn State
Western Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky
Samford
App State

My rules:

That Auto Bid Would be hard fought. I do like this conference. Travel would be ideal. It will never happen.

JaxSinfonian
January 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Can we just boot the entire OVC and let some of the other conferences take in the schools. I'd love to have EKU and Jax State in the Gateway.

Thanks for the tip of the hat to JSU's program, but the Gateway would never work geographically for the Gamecocks. Staying in the Southland would have been better than a move to the Gateway.

The only other conference that might work for Jax State would be the SoCon. Short of that, a "dream conference formed from the demise of the SoCon, OVC and some divisional moves by D-II and I-A teams.

Reed Rothchild
January 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Out: Youngstown
In: NDSU

OL FU
January 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Let's hope Elon will get there stuff together. Maybe the new coach is the right start

OL FU
January 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Ga Southern
Furman
Chattanooga
Jacksonville State
FAMU
Tenn State
Western Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky
Samford
App State

My rules:

I like it. only two problems. One, poor Furman and Samford, tiny little privates competing against you big boys :bawling:

10 schools are too many for football. Drop ASU they are in the Sunbelt anyway :nod: :)

Cocky
January 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I like it. only two problems. One, poor Furman and Samford, tiny little privates competing against you big boys :bawling:

10 schools are too many for football. Drop ASU they are in the Sunbelt anyway :nod: :)

It's hard to feel sorry for Furman.

The TV news said you got a couple of recruits out of the HAM yesterday.

Cocky
January 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Here is a link on the Furman commitments:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/113688828672930.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

OL FU
January 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Here is a link on the Furman commitments:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/113688828672930.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

Very nice thanks.

"The campus is amazing, and I felt really comfortable and at home there," Mims said. "I knew that was the place for me."

There are also rumors on the USC Gamecock board of a USC quarterback transferring to FU. Beecher. I believe he would be a freshman so I find it hard to believe with Sorrells being redshirted last year. But we will see.

PS, we like recruiting in Alabama. :nod:

HiHiYikas
January 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
One of my old ASU buddies spent a year in the marching band, and has a little sister currently in ASU's marching band. I asked them about that when we all met up for dinner after one of our home playoff games.

Apparently, travel for ASU's band has a lot to do with budgeting. Travel expenses for the band can be pretty steep. We had a lot of regular season games on the road this year. Plus, the band made a trip to London for a New Years' parade. They just didn't have the resources to go to a lot of road games. I believe they went on the road once during the regular season and then to Chattanooga for the Championship game.

HiHiYikas
January 10th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Furman may be a "tiny little private," but it's the I-AA equivalent of "tiny little privates" like Notre Dame and USC.

Cocky
January 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Very nice thanks.

"The campus is amazing, and I felt really comfortable and at home there," Mims said. "I knew that was the place for me."

There are also rumors on the USC Gamecock board of a USC quarterback transferring to FU. Beecher. I believe he would be a freshman so I find it hard to believe with Sorrells being redshirted last year. But we will see.

PS, we like recruiting in Alabama. :nod:

I haven't seen Mims but Lerner is a very good player. He is coached by an ex Gamecock Rush Propst. Mims is also coached by an ex Gamecock Vince Dilorenzo.

Forgot to add that is real ex Gamecocks the ones from JSU.

EagleCrusade
January 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
You would think that 3 game sweep of Georgia Southern last year in baseball (@ GSU) would have helped Wofford's baseball RPI a little :)

Cost GSU an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney with only 38 wins. Also cost GSU the SoCon regional crown. It really hurts losing 3 to a team that didn't qualify once again for the SoCon tourney.

Oh it did bring your RPI to about 217. Elon had a 75. Georgia Southern had a 46.

Wofford currently ranks dead last in attendance in men's basketball and baseball.

As far as football is concerned, 3 conference wins last season. Elon, Citadel and Georgia Southern. Yes Georgia Southern was beaten 3 out of 4 or 3 out of 9. Georgia Southern fired that coach.

BestOfBreed
January 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Cost GSU an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney with only 38 wins. Also cost GSU the SoCon regional crown. It really hurts losing 3 to a team that didn't qualify once again for the SoCon tourney.

Oh it did bring your RPI to about 217. Elon had a 75. Georgia Southern had a 46.

Wofford currently ranks dead last in attendance in men's basketball and baseball.

As far as football is concerned, 3 conference wins last season. Elon, Citadel and Georgia Southern. Yes Georgia Southern was beaten 3 out of 4 or 3 out of 9. Georgia Southern fired that coach.

The Citadel is dead last in basketball attendance this year and although we are down I believe we were in the middle of the conference in attendance last year. Baseball is improving since we've gotten the new stadium.

As far as football, I believe we're 39-31 in conference games since joining the SoCon and 21-9 since the 2002 season. Not great but better than half the conference I daresay.

--edit: Btw, we weren't even near the bottom in baseball attendance last year.

dirtbag
January 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Furman may be a "tiny little private," but it's the I-AA equivalent of "tiny little privates" like Notre Dame and USC.

You seem to be very familiar with tiny little privates.

<RIMSHOT>

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week!

blukeys
January 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Delaware takes their band to away games that are a bus drive away such as Towson, Navy, and Nova.

The decision is based on budgetary reasons but there are also other factors. I have seen the UD's band at Umass although I don't know if this is a regular thing.

I have heard that the UD band will not be at Nova the next time it is away.

bandl
January 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM

When I was at JMU, we went to Delaware (and then to play halftime at the Skins game in the same weekend), Richmond and William & Mary, all within bus driving distance. We also went to App State for a playoff game. The JMU band also tours throughout the nation, and throughout the world. It's very difficult to take a band of JMU's size (400+ members my freshmen year, after we won the Sudler Trophy) on TOO many trips. But, I went on a tour throughout Europe with the marching band, performing at Monaco's 700th anniversary on New Year's Day; the presidential parade in DC (I was actually in a hospital bed that week watching my friends in the parade :( ); a Macy's day parade and several other big parades on the east coast. The year after I left the band, the band went to Greece and Ireland separately.

From JMU's website:

"In 1994 the John Philip Sousa Foundation named the Dukes recipients of the Sudler Trophy, the Heisman Trophy of college marching bands. In 1997 and 2001, they were featured in the inaugural parades for Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. In 2002 they performed at the inauguration ceremony for Virginia Governor Mark Warner.

The band has established a strong tradition as ambassadors of the university and community. They took their first European tour in 1997, where they performed for the closing ceremonies of the 700th anniversary of the Grimaldi Family in Monaco. In December 2000 the Dukes performed at a New Year's celebration in Athens before an audience of more than 500,000; in 2001 they performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in New York City; and in December of 2003 they were the featured band for the New Year’s celebration in Dublin, Ireland. They will return to Dublin for their second New Year’s performance in 2006. This past year, the Marching Royal Dukes traveled with the JMU Football team to perform at the NCAA Division 1-AA National Championship game in Chattanooga, TN, where the Dukes took home their first national title in school history."

:)

ngineer
January 10th, 2006, 04:27 PM
When I was at JMU, we went to Delaware (and then to play halftime at the Skins game in the same weekend), Richmond and William & Mary, all within bus driving distance. We also went to App State for a playoff game. The JMU band also tours throughout the nation, and throughout the world. It's very difficult to take a band of JMU's size (400+ members my freshmen year, after we won the Sudler Trophy) on TOO many trips. But, I went on a tour throughout Europe with the marching band, performing at Monaco's 700th anniversary on New Year's Day; the presidential parade in DC (I was actually in a hospital bed that week watching my friends in the parade :( ); a Macy's day parade and several other big parades on the east coast. The year after I left the band, the band went to Greece and Ireland separately.

From JMU's website:

"In 1994 the John Philip Sousa Foundation named the Dukes recipients of the Sudler Trophy, the Heisman Trophy of college marching bands. In 1997 and 2001, they were featured in the inaugural parades for Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. In 2002 they performed at the inauguration ceremony for Virginia Governor Mark Warner.

The band has established a strong tradition as ambassadors of the university and community. They took their first European tour in 1997, where they performed for the closing ceremonies of the 700th anniversary of the Grimaldi Family in Monaco. In December 2000 the Dukes performed at a New Year's celebration in Athens before an audience of more than 500,000; in 2001 they performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in New York City; and in December of 2003 they were the featured band for the New Year’s celebration in Dublin, Ireland. They will return to Dublin for their second New Year’s performance in 2006. This past year, the Marching Royal Dukes traveled with the JMU Football team to perform at the NCAA Division 1-AA National Championship game in Chattanooga, TN, where the Dukes took home their first national title in school history."

:)

Yes, we were looking forward to JMU bringing their band to Goodman in 2004 for the first round of the playoffs. Disappointed when we learned they weren't travelling--the big problem with those games on Thanksgiving weekend. Have seen them before, one of my daughter's best friends was in the band when they marched at Bush's first inaugural.

blukeys
January 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Yes, we were looking forward to JMU bringing their band to Goodman in 2004 for the first round of the playoffs. Disappointed when we learned they weren't travelling--the big problem with those games on Thanksgiving weekend. Have seen them before, one of my daughter's best friends was in the band when they marched at Bush's first inaugural.

One thing I have noticed is that if a school lets UD know that they want the band to come and the UD band gets some time on the field either at half time or before or after the game then the band goes even if there is some significant traveling expenses. If all the band gets to do is sit in the stands then forget it.

I'm sure this is also the case with schools like JMU, Umass, and the most underreported band in the East WCUPA.

It is well known that the Umass band makes the trip to Newark due to the positive response they get from UD fans who hang out after the game and listen to the Umass band.

Band directors hold a lot of power in these decisions and they make it for a wide variety of reasons. Not the least is, Will I play for an appreciative audience??

MR. CHICKEN
January 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM
My perfect conferences:

Maine
UNH
Northeastern
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Villanova

Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
William & Mary
Appalachian State
Western Carolina
Furman
Georgia Southern

JEFFREY......DOMO...FO' ALL DUH TOUGH ONES!......DUH DELAWARE DIVISION......WOULD BE BRUTAL.........AN' WOULD DUH COMMITTEE...CHOOSE EIGHT OR SO...TEAMS FROM DIS CONFERENCE...TA GO DANCIN'??...........xlolx............BRAWK!

WE COULD CALL DUH CONFERENCE...."ATLANTIC 16"....EVEN DOUGH DERE ARE 18 SCHOOLS! :rotateh:

TxSt02
January 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I would love to have San Diego and Cal Poly so that we would get a roadie to Cali every year!!!

oldsouthernman
January 11th, 2006, 12:30 AM
In addition to my first post, Chattanooga ha played against the likes of Freddie Soloman, Too Tall Jones, Tery Bradshaw, Richard Dent, Pat Sullian(Heisman winner), Tucker Fredrickson, Mike Hegeman,Johnny Majors, Jack Youngblood, Chad Pennington,Larry Kinebrew,Stump Mitchell,Matt Stevens,Aundray Bruce. Marco Coleman, Dorsey Levins, Daid Palmer,Richard Harvey, Terrence Jones, Aaron Jones, Derrick Graham,Kevin Porter, Pat Swilling, Ken Swilling, Tiger Greene, Clyde Simmons etc. Combined with my fist list, I will stack that against any school. I left off Eric Curry and John Copeland, George Teague, Eric Kressler, Ray Crockett. All of these doods played in the league and most were AA. Plus Mark Stock, Travis Jervey, Marty Carter, Mike Bartrum, Willie Williams,

oldsouthernman
January 11th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Sorry for replying to the wrong post.

Killtoppers90
January 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Ga Southern
Furman
Chattanooga
Jacksonville State
FAMU
Tenn State
Western Kentucky
Eastern Kentucky
Samford
App State

Not a bad list there Cocky! Good list of solid schools and some damn fine rivalries there!

Killtoppers90
January 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Out: Youngstown
In: NDSU

Reed,

That is the dumbest idea that I've seen thus far. It is not geographically sound to add NDSU to the Gateway, would it? Especailly to lose YSU. Come on!

Golden Eagle
January 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
OVC:

Kick out Tennessee State if no solution can be found to the Classics interfering with conference play.

Force Morehead St. to rejoin and then go get UT-Chattanooga.

SactoHornetFan
January 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM
slostang--I proposed this on another thread earlier last week...or something very similar. I'm sure it's been said here before, but I'd be all for this alignment.

North:

Montana
Montana State
EWU
NDSU
UNC
ISU
PSU

South:

NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Weber State
SDSU
Southern Utah
UC Davis

Each team would play the 6 others in their division each year, 3 from the "other" division, and maybe 2 OOC/year. It would significantly cut down on travel expenses (well,maybe not SIGNIFICANTLY), and make for some new, heated rivalries in each division.

It won't ever happen, but hey, we can dream, can't we?? :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I think a conference like this might raise the awareness factor up a bit in the West. With the size of most of the stadiums in this proposed conference, we would be almost like the MAC.

SU Jag
January 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM
OVC:

Kick out Tennessee State if no solution can be found to the Classics interfering with conference play.

Force Morehead St. to rejoin and then go get UT-Chattanooga.

Trust me, I think that the folks from TSU would be happy to leave! Plus we would love to have them here in the SWAC. If they were in the SWAC their attendance would be way up! :hurray:

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Trust me, I think that the folks from TSU would be happy to leave! Plus we would love to have them here in the SWAC. If they were in the SWAC their attendance would be way up! :hurray:
They wanted to join the Swac from the get go. The dummy of a commisioner we had turned them down. :nonono2:

SU Jag
January 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
They wanted to join the Swac from the get go. The dummy of a commisioner we had turned them down. :nonono2:

Hopefully all of the stuff will get corrected the next time around. The SWAC was trying to get Tennessee State and Morris Brown but I don't know what happened! Many of the TSU fans are fed up with being in the OVC! Being in the OVC has run their attendance records in the ground.

PMB4Life
January 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I want to see the recreation of the Missouri Valley Conference in football. It remains a distant dream of mine. Right now, I would like the following things to happen:

-Drake brings back scholarship football.
-Western Kentucky joins the Valley.

This would make football in the MVC look like this:

Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Indiana State
Illinois State
Missouri State
Drake
Western Kentucky

and Western Illinois and take off like the hosers they are. Youngstown State could then FINALLY have a reason for going I-A. It works for everyone.

But all of this remains a pipe dream. *sigh* :(

Cocky
January 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hopefully all of the stuff will get corrected the next time around. The SWAC was trying to get Tennessee State and Morris Brown but I don't know what happened! Many of the TSU fans are fed up with being in the OVC! Being in the OVC has run their attendance records in the ground.

We had as many fans as TSU in Nashville this year. TSU doesn't support their own team at home unless it's a classic. TSU did bring a good crowd to JSU last year most coming from Atlanta and Birmingham.

I don't believe TSU wants to leave the OVC or they would have gone by now. The SWAC or MEAC would be crazy not to take them but the travel cost for non football sports will be high.

SU Jag
January 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM
The fans arent interested in the teams that they play outside of Alabama A&M, Jackson State, and FAMU! Add the fact that they havent been very good lately and thats why their attendance is down. If the had home games against SWAC/MEAC teams their attendance would be more than double what it is now! :nod:

LBPop
January 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
65 -

As I read this I was expecting you to finish with: "And I want world peace and to feed all those who are hungry."

;)

Truly, that would be an amazing scenario, but not in our lifetimes...well, at least not in mine.

art vandelay
January 12th, 2006, 12:42 AM
what if they were to creat a new 1-A conference.
i would think it would look like so.
obvious:
GSU
Montana
Deleware
Umass
strong possibilities:
Furman
ASU
NIU
SIU
Montana St
SIU
Other Posibilities:
UNH could definately go but would have to gain more suport and a new facility.
Cal Davis probably could just because of location but would need to get use to competition.
i dont know much about Montana St but they sound good i guess.
youngstown St would be in the ranks just because of its previous success.
JMU would probly have to beconsitered just because of location and recent success.

feel free to add your own teams i know everyone will. and believe me i am not a GSU,Montana,Deleware, or Umass fan these are just teams that always seem to be good and have strong fan support.

OL FU
January 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM
It is always flattering to see people form new I-A conferences with Furman in or possibly in that conference. But as long as I-AA or a similar division to I-AA exist, that is where Furman will reside.

Also, Furman has been a member of the SoCon for 70(?) years, so unless the Socon breaks into a million pieces or totally changes its make up, to paraphrase Mr. Dylan, "We ain't goin' nowhere".

RabidRabbit
January 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
:beerchug: 'Stang this is a great recommendation!

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Weber State
Southern Utah

East:

Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Northern Arizona

RabidRabbit
January 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM

North:

Montana
Montana State
EWU
NDSU
UNC
ISU
PSU

South:

NAU
Sac State
Cal Poly
Weber State
SDSU
Southern Utah
UC Davis

If N/S split, Keep the Dakota schools together, and add No. Colo. to the south. :hurray: