PDA

View Full Version : Will Szczur stay in the FCS?

Syntax Error
June 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Now that the Cubs have drafted him in the 5th round of the MLB draft, will Matt Szczur return to the Nova football team this year or not?

PREDICTION TIME!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Just don't think it was high enough. IMO.

GeauxLions94
June 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I say he goes

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I say he goes

Second.

As a fifth-round pick, how much is the slot money? Figure he'll get that and call it a day. Hard to pass up a pay day like that one, especially when they'll probably agree to pay for him to finish college and you can play a longer, healthier career in baseball...

Ronbo
June 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I think he stays.

AppAlum2003
June 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I think he goes - especially because my Cubs have a horrible habit of completely over-paying draft picks (see Jeff Smardijzijzaidajzaizjajizda from ND)

Tribe4SF
June 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The risks of not signing with the Cubs are just too great. He owes it to himself, and his family to seize this opportunity, and build on it.

TSUalum05
June 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Second.

As a fifth-round pick, how much is the slot money? Figure he'll get that and call it a day. Hard to pass up a pay day like that one, especially when they'll probably agree to pay for him to finish college and you can play a longer, healthier career in baseball...

Just got off the phone with one of my best friends who's a scout with a MLB Team. He advised me - $137,100, of course individual clubs have the option to go above or below the slot $$$. Being that Szczur is a Jr. and a football player they may offer him 200k or more IMO.

He may have been drafted higher if there were no signability issues ($$, football) -- for example, my friend, had a player to where the team would not go above the slot $$ for that particular pick. Well the guy was drafted two picks later and offered 400k more than what my friends team would offer. So he dropped two picks.

ngineer
June 8th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Just don't think it was high enough. IMO.

LFN--CLEAN OUT YOUR MAILBOX--IT IS FULL AND I AM GETTING BOUNCEBACK. ng

UNIFanSince1983
June 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
The risks of not signing with the Cubs are just too great. He owes it to himself, and his family to seize this opportunity, and build on it.

The risks of signing with the Cubs are pretty high too xsmiley_wix

In seriousness though it would be tough to give up the financial stability that he will gain. I guess it depends on his priorities.

Ivytalk
June 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Second.

Spot on.

GannonFan
June 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Spot on.

Agreed - if he had a viable NFL career potential it could be different, but by all reports baseball is his love and his shot at the NFL would be risky at best. I see him taking the Jeff Samardzija route (strangely, also picked by the Cubs) and signing to play baseball. Not going now would just mean less money next year as he loses all leverage (no football to fall back on, no more college baseball, etc).

Catsfan2
June 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
5th round pick has a 50/50 chance of ever seeing a big league ball park. He'll be lucky to get a $75K signing bonus.

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
He can do both. One of our basketball players got drafted in the 13th round. He is going to play short season A ball and come back for his senior year.

ngineer
June 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
5th round pick has a 50/50 chance of ever seeing a big league ball park. He'll be lucky to get a $75K signing bonus.

If that is the case, then I think the odds favor him returning to VU. If he were looking at $500K, then that's tougher to walk away from.

UNHWildCats
June 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Dont want to put this as a definitive comparison, but the Red Sox 5th round pick in 2009 got a $140,000 signing bonus, so he wouldn't be passing up mega bucks to stay at Villanova

TokyoGriz
June 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
He should go. Hes got the most all round athletic talent Ive seen at this level. If for some reason he doesnt "make" it he can come back and still play ball in couple years. Sure he will be in shape.

AppIAA
June 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
He can do both. One of our basketball players got drafted in the 13th round. He is going to play short season A ball and come back for his senior year.

That is either a typo or this was a LONG time ago -- the nba draft is only 2 rounds now and has been for a considerable amount of time...

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
That is either a typo or this was a LONG time ago -- the nba draft is only 2 rounds now and has been for a considerable amount of time...

He is talking about a basketball player who also plays baseball and was taken in the 13th round of the MLB Draft.

AppIAA
June 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
He is talking about a basketball player who also plays baseball and was taken in the 13th round of the MLB Draft.

Ha wow.. apparently my coffee wasn't strong enough this morning..

UNHWildCats
June 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Thats assuming the basesball team would allow him to. Allowing a guy to play basketball is a lot different than playing football.

With that said, Colorado may allow two of their draftees to play QB this fall if they sign with the Rox...

From Peter Gammons

If they sign, Rockies may allow Wilson to play QB for NC State, Kyle Parker for Clemson

Philliesfan980
June 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm confused, what do the MLB teams have to gain by allowing their draft picks to play another sport in the offseason? Maybe there's a clause in there that says "You can play, but if you get hurt, you have to repay your signing bonus, and we can cut you". And if that's the case, why sign in the first place?

TSUalum05
June 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Who is the player mentioned?

UNHWildCats
June 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm confused, what do the MLB teams have to gain by allowing their draft picks to play another sport in the offseason? Maybe there's a clause in there that says "You can play, but if you get hurt, you have to repay your signing bonus, and we can cut you". And if that's the case, why sign in the first place?
well the gain is getting the player to sign. Some of these guys prefer to play football and wont sign for that reason. If the baseball team lets them play they get them signed.

UNIFanSince1983
June 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Who is the player mentioned?

Lucas O'Rear for our basketball team was drafted by the Reds and word is they are going to let him play his senior season of basketball.

WildCat In The Hat
June 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Cubs knew when they drafted him, staying another year in college was an option. Big league teams aren't fond of wasting 5th round picks. They'll make him an offer he can't refuse. Expect him to go pro with about 350-500K in his pocket (bonus and salary). And yes the top 25 will change.