PDA

View Full Version : Could 10% Budget Cuts Alter Texas FCS Plans for FBS?

TexasTerror
June 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
While college athletics at many of our state institutions are funded with the aid of student athletic (or service) fees, this could cause some problems, especially in wake of the schools interested in moving from FCS to FBS.

Universities will not be able to increase their subsidy to collegiate athletic programs in the state, if they have to cut 10 percent. The money available will have to go towards academics and basic campus services, needed to run the university...

I guess the good thing for schools like UTSA and TXST is that they have significant enrollments and plenty of student fees to draw from with those numbers.

Unfortunately with my experience in Louisiana, I must say these cuts are not as significant as ours here in the Pelican State, but any cuts to higher education do not sit well with me...

Texas leaders on May 28 asked state agencies to lower their next two-year funding requests by 10 percent, in preparation for review by the 2011 Legislature. Lawmakers who convene in January face a budget shortfall of up to $18 billion.

State leaders on May 18 ordered to agencies, with some exceptions, was to immediately cut their budgets by 5 percent, implementing recommendations that state agencies in January were asked to provide.

The state's $1.1 billion student financial aid program was spared from the 5 percent cuts, but its fate for the proposed 10 percent reductions is pending.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7040410.html