PDA

View Full Version : Southland Contemplating Requiring All League Members to Field Football Teams

CSN Log
June 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM
06-05-2010 11:07 AM

College Sporting News has learned that the Southland Conference tabled a measure at their recently completed meetings that would require all league members to field teams in each of the league’s sponsored sports.

Read more » (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/05/southland-contemplating-requiring-all-le?blog=2#more6574)

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/05/southland-contemplating-requiring-all-le?blog=2)

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I am opposed to the the possibility of the SLC making all schools field teams in each of the league's sponsored sports...

If SHSU for instance was to add men's tennis, we would have to bring in an additional women's sport, on top of the women's bowling program we are already bringing in. I am sure other schools would have to do the same due to Title IX.

Other schools would have to add golf teams, softball (just Lamar, I think) and/or soccer (UT-Arlington, A&M-CC) squads. In the case of softball, you always have to take Title IX into consideration (as far as equal facilities) and of course, that's no cheap sport - nor is soccer for that matter!

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
This could also signal the end of any attempt by UT-Pan American or Houston Baptist to join the Southland Conference...

Top candidates for expansion - West Texas A&M, Tarleton State and Delta State.

MACHIAVELLI
June 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Maybe the FCS playoff money can help.

GeauxLions94
June 5th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I am opposed to the the possibility of the SLC making all schools field teams in each of the league's sponsored sports...

If SHSU for instance was to add men's tennis, we would have to bring in an additional women's sport, on top of the women's bowling program we are already bringing in. I am sure other schools would have to do the same due to Title IX.

Other schools would have to add golf teams, softball (just Lamar, I think) and/or soccer (UT-Arlington, A&M-CC) squads. In the case of softball, you always have to take Title IX into consideration (as far as equal facilities) and of course, that's no cheap sport - nor is soccer for that matter!

And try to add sports if you're a Louisiana school right now with the state budget the way it is right now. Northwestern State and Nicholls are at the Division I minimum (14) and Southeastern would have to add women's golf and bring back men's tennis to reach 17 (and what the Southland sponsors).

Next year will be very interesting budget wise in the state of Louisiana ... and that was before the oil spill and 6-month moratorium (up to 20,000 lost jobs just in the oil business alone). Throw in the lost jobs from the fishermen and tourist industry and the 2011-12 year will be very scary.

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM
And try to add sports if you're a Louisiana school right now with the state budget the way it is right now. Northwestern State and Nicholls are at the Division I minimum (14) and Southeastern would have to add women's golf and bring back men's tennis to reach 17 (and what the Southland sponsors).

Next year will be very interesting budget wise in the state of Louisiana ... and that was before the oil spill and 6-month moratorium (up to 20,000 lost jobs just in the oil business alone). Throw in the lost jobs from the fishermen and tourist industry and the 2011-12 year will be very scary.

No joke there...

I would be for requiring all schools in the future to have a core group of sports before receiving admittance.

The Sun Belt does this - for us, probably would be football, volleyball, the two basketballs and baseball. May have to throw in another women's sport (soccer or softball).