PDA

View Full Version : FCS Expansion Article

TexasTerror
May 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/382552-football-championship-subdivision-fcs-conference-expansion-explored

Eh, it's the Bleacher Report - but still always fun to get different perspective, to rip it to shreds, to applaud it or at least get a new viewpoint to discuss. Afterall, most of what we have discussed on these forums is FBS expansion!

Article above suggests the following:

UAPB, Prairie View A&M and Grambling as perspective SLC members.

Southern Utah, No Dakota, So Dakota, San Diego, UC-Davis as prospective Big Sky members.

San Diego as a potential Great West member.

Jacksonville, Charlotte as potential Big South add-ons.

Thoughts?

txstatebobcat
May 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Of the three going to the SLC I only see Prairie View and that's a pretty big stretch to begin with. No way Grambling leaves the SWAC and I'm not sure the SLC would want UAPB.

Syntax Error
May 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Of the three going to the SLC I only see Prairie View and that's a pretty big stretch to begin with. No way Grambling leaves the SWAC and I'm not sure the SLC would want UAPB.

Yes, as with most bleacher stuff it is a stretch

ThompsonThe
May 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Article says that UNC Charlotte had dropped football in 1948? They didn't start until 1964 as a four year school. They are always saying they have never had football. I have always lived in Charlotte and never saw any football or heard of any.
Think the writer is screwed up.
Plus UNC Charlotte controlling the Charlotte market is a joke. Would be like the local community college in what ever city you are in controlling the sports action.

techstate
May 31st, 2010, 12:33 AM
Looks like everyone the great west is to be ripped apart. But why does Cal Poly not get mentioned as a possible candidate to join the Big Sky? They would take Davis but not Poly? I think combining the Great west and Big Sky creates a super conference. Then we could have a conference tournament in Sacramento/ San Fransisco?

49RFootballNow
May 31st, 2010, 01:23 AM
Article says that UNC Charlotte had dropped football in 1948? They didn't start until 1964 as a four year school. They are always saying they have never had football. I have always lived in Charlotte and never saw any football or heard of any.
Think the writer is screwed up.
Plus UNC Charlotte controlling the Charlotte market is a joke. Would be like the local community college in what ever city you are in controlling the sports action.

The institution known today as UNC Charlotte started as the Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina in 1946 to serve the needs of returning World War II veterans seeking to take advantage of the GI Bill. Returning veterans would do their first two years of college at the Center housed in Charlotte's Central High School, now the site of CPCC, and then transfer to one of the existing 4 year institutions. After the initial glut of returning veterans had passed the Center was to be closed, but it's director, Miss Bonnie Cone, convinced the Charlotte business and government communities that Charlotte needed a public institution of higher learning. Thus in 1949 the Center was transformed into a junior college funded by Mecklenburg County, Charlotte College. In the next 16 years Miss Bonnie would preside over the move to a permanent campus north east of Charlotte and the transformation of Charlotte College into UNC Charlotte, the 4th University in the Consolidated University of North Carolina.

In 1946 the Charlotte Center fielded a football team of mostly WWII veterans. At the time we were known as the Owls because the Center was a night school. The coach was Arthur Deremer, a former Brooklyn Tiger and Charlotte Clippers football player.

The 1946 season was 2-4:

Home:

Clemson "B" (twice)
Catawba College JV

Away:

Clemson "B" (twice)
Pembroke State
Belmont Abbey
Davidson JV

In the 1947 season our new HC was Marion Woods:

Home:

Davidson
APPLACHAIN STATE TEACHER'S COLLEGE

Away:

Presbyterian College
Catawba College
Hamlet NC All-Stars

After the last of the WWII vets left following the 1948 season the football program was cancelled for lack of available players.

http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com/our-story.html

Again ThompsonDuh, you fail to research a topic before spouting off about it. xchinscratchx

401ks
May 31st, 2010, 01:44 AM
xcoffeex

Everybody seems to love talking about San Diego leaving the PFL for the "greener pastures" of a full scholarship conference.

Two words...

Ain't happening.

Go...gate
May 31st, 2010, 02:46 AM
The Patriot League conundrum remains unresolved.

I still believe another football member is needed.