PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Rumblings Could Affect Big Sky

CSN Log
May 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
05-26-2010 03:37 PM

Sports fans in our state historically have been split between their allegiance to the Montana Grizzlies or the Montana State Bobcats.

The biggest game of the year in any sport — whether it be football, basketball, volleyball or track — is UM vs. MSU. Nothing else is close. But rather than polarize the Treasure State, these games have a way of bringing fans together, because bragging rights are worth a lot inside these broad borders.

It’s hard to imagine the essence of our ancient rivalry changing anytime soon, but the winds of change are blowing around the Big Sky Conference these days, and rumors are flying that Montana and Montana State could wind up in different conferences when the expansion dust settles.

Read more » (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/05/26/expansion-rumblings-could-affect-big-sky?blog=2#more6553)

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/05/26/expansion-rumblings-could-affect-big-sky?blog=2)

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Could Montana and Montana State function seperately?

In the Great Falls Tribune article above, it talks about how the expansion talk has hit home with the Big Sky Conference. Most of the talk has been centered around Montana, but can you imagine the long-standing rivalry of Montana and Montana State to fall apart? I guess Boise State (with Idaho State) and Western Kentucky (with Eastern Kentucky) can speak to this in some regards.

Montana AD Jim O'Day just does not see the two splitting up anytime soon. I would have to agree. Montana and Montana State are a perfect pairing!

"Well, Utah and Utah State play in different conferences, and so do Colorado and Colorado State, and the North Dakota schools," UM Athletic Director Jim O'Day said Tuesday night at a social event at Montana ExpoPark attended by several hundred UM fans.

"That having been said, I don't look for the two schools to be split anytime soon," said O'Day. "It will always be the presidents' choice, and then the Board of Regents would have to make the decision. There are a lot of hoops to go through."

sulabighead
June 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Regardless of what conference the Montana is in, the MSU game will always be there, I hope a move from the Montana side will motivate the same of MSU. And if it doesn't, Montana will enjoy the extra scholarships and continue to dominate MSU.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Regardless of what conference the Montana is in, the MSU game will always be there, I hope a move from the Montana side will motivate the same of MSU. And if it doesn't, Montana will enjoy the extra scholarships and continue to dominate MSU.

Look at UND-NDSU, and South Dakota-S. Dakota St. We haven't played each other since 2003. Its a void but you get used to it, but can't wait until it resumes.

LakesBison
June 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
NO ONE at NDSU could care less about playing UND. keep a nightlight on in dream world there buddy

RabidRabbit
June 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Look at UND-NDSU, and South Dakota-S. Dakota St. We haven't played each other since 2003. Its a void but you get used to it, but can't wait until it resumes.

I'd never speak for a walleye guy, but this Rabbit is looking forward to seeing UND and USD on the Jacks schedules more in the future. Even during the 2003-2010 hiatus imposed by the division levels, SDSU has participated in minor sports vs USD virtually every year.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'd neve speak for a walleye guy, but this Rabbit is looking forward to seeing UND and USD on the Jacks schedules more in the future. Even during the 2003-2010 hiatus imposed by the division levels, SDSU has participated in minor sports vs USD virtually every year.

UND played NDSU in baseball this April in the Metrodome to break the 7 year hiatus. I am thinking of driving down to the UND-SDSU game in November. It will be nice to see them again.:)

LakesBison
June 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/2/1497598/boise-state-mountain-west-conference-mwc-invitation-realignment

Boise to MWC . UTAH or BYU to Pac 10.

Montana and NDSU to the WAC as travel partners and rivals!!!

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/2/1497598/boise-state-mountain-west-conference-mwc-invitation-realignment

Boise to MWC . UTAH or BYU to Pac 10.

Montana and NDSU to the WAC as travel partners and rivals!!!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Another article on the situation...

Montana schools contemplate transition to Football Bowl Subdivision

The head of the Grizzlies' athletic program will soon hire a consulting firm to analyze whether UM could sustain a move from the confines of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) to the upper echelon of Division I football in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). The decision is monumental for the university, affecting not just what football teams are on the schedule each fall, but indeed all of the school's athletic programs, its academic affiliations and the money it raises.

Fields has said little publicly about the chances of MSU making a similar move, and last week promised that he's hiding nothing.

"As we look today, I don't think we'd be able to make (the move)," Fields said. "But we would have to have discussion at some high levels because these are institutional changes we're talking about. Those discussions are not currently taking place."

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/article_e8108fe0-712b-11df-9ee7-001cc4c002e0.html