PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network: SIU's New Stadium

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
FYI, latest Sports Network article...

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - It had gotten to the point that Southern Illinois coaches tried not to show McAndrew Stadium or the Salukis' football locker rooms during on-campus recruiting visits. The 73-year-old stadium had become so outdated that it was a negative factor for the Missouri Valley Football Conference power.

This past recruiting season, head coach Dale Lennon and his staff saw a difference. The "wow" factor was evident in Carbondale, because the coaches could show off SIU's new 15,000-seat stadium that is being completed for the 2010 season. The Salukis, who averaged 8,882 fans over seven home games in 2009, will debut the stadium on Sept. 2 against NAIA program Quincy University.

"The stadium's been a long time coming," said Lennon, who is 20-5 in two seasons at SIU, including 11-2 in 2009. "This is something that they've been talking about here at Southern Illinois since the late '60s. Old McAndrew Stadium, it saw some glory years, but it was time for that stadium to retire. The excitement's that surrounding the new stadium really could give this program that type of boost that we've been looking for."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4312954

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Compared to Multi-Sport Field, McAndrew Stadium looks like a great facility.

TheBisonator
May 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Compared to Multi-Sport Field, McAndrew Stadium looks like a great facility.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think you guys should play at RFK with the upper deck tarped down. Rent would cost a lot less than FedEx Field, IMO.

Redbird Ray
May 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Looking forward to getting down to the new SIU stadium in 2011 (probably won't make it this year). Everything I've seen looks great! I will miss how the MAC would tower over the Cdale "skyline" along with the dorms. The MAC had kind of a cool presence for an FCS stadium to be so visible from afar. But, the new stadium should be a lot nicer, and SIU's program definitely deserves it.

I would encourage not only MVFC fans, but any FCS fans who ever want to experience a great FCS football atmosphere to take in a game in Cdale some time. Great college town, stellar tailgating set-up, and an awesome region of Illinois to visit.

Houndawg
May 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Looking forward to getting down to the new SIU stadium in 2011 (probably won't make it this year). Everything I've seen looks great! I will miss how the MAC would tower over the Cdale "skyline" along with the dorms. The MAC had kind of a cool presence for an FCS stadium to be so visible from afar. But, the new stadium should be a lot nicer, and SIU's program definitely deserves it.

I would encourage not only MVFC fans, but any FCS fans who ever want to experience a great FCS football atmosphere to take in a game in Cdale some time. Great college town, stellar tailgating set-up, and an awesome region of Illinois to visit.

Believe this CA transplant (26 years) when I tell you that this area is nothing like how you pictured Illinois. Memphis, Nashville, St. Louis, and the Mississippi border are all closer and have more in common with the locals than Chicago does.

You know you're on the border between the North and South because they ask you if you want your ice tea sweetened or unsweetened

SO ILLmatic
June 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
On Tuesday the new Field Turf started being installed in the stadium.

The first pictures are the most recent, and you can also see the new scoreboard that is already in. Except the scoreboard you see in the pictures is lacking the crown at the top which says "SALUKIS". The dimensions of the new scoreboard are something like 61 by 29.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062210aaa.html

WestCoastAggie
June 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
I like that Press Box.

ValleyChamp
June 23rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
meh...

Seems sort of bland if you ask me. I'm sure it is tons better than the old Mac though.

MSUBear42
June 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Looks absolutely amazing, very jealous and probably the nicest stadium in the MVFC now.

Big Cats
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Looks amazing! The quality of the new stadium will match the quality of the football that is played there. I have October 9th marked on my calendar. I can't wait to see the new digs!

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Looks absolutely amazing, very jealous and probably the nicest stadium in the MVFC now.

Nope, NDSU still claims that title.

Seriously. Come over to the Fargodome sometime. Still better than anything else in the MVFC.

ValleyChamp
June 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Seriously. Come over to the Fargodome sometime. Still better than anything else in the MVFC.

no.

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM
no.

Yes.

Big Al
June 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think you guys should play at RFK with the upper deck tarped down. Rent would cost a lot less than FedEx Field, IMO.

They could play at RFK with all the seats tarped down. Remember, you're talking about Georgetown.

Big Al
June 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Ha.

Heh.

Heehee.

Ha. Haahahahh. AAAaahahahahYAAHAAAHAHAA!
DHDaoHhahahAHAHAAHAHAAAHAHA

BAAAWWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH!!!!

baaAAABBAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!111!11LOLZlmfaOLOLh ahahaaaHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!11!!!!!

You're funny.

darell1976
June 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Nice stadium SIU!! If UND ever moves back outside and they remodel Memorial Stadium I hope they look at your stadium.xthumbsupx

JSU02
June 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
For some reason it looks more like a soccer stadium to me. Maybe thats because the bleachers are the same height all the way around? I dunno...
Anyone know why they went with metal bleacher instead of concrete?

NDB
June 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Ha.
You're funny.

Have you ever been to a game in Fargo?

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Have you ever been to a game in Fargo?

No they haven't. They think we play in a quonset hut.

TheBisonator
June 24th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Here's a picture of the stadium you're dissing:

http://www.gobison.com//pics5/1024/VC/VCZZUCDZKMLDSXT.20071006010307.jpg

ValleyChamp
June 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
That is a nice recreation center that they have in fargo.

Franks Tanks
June 25th, 2010, 08:39 AM
For some reason it looks more like a soccer stadium to me. Maybe thats because the bleachers are the same height all the way around? I dunno...
Anyone know why they went with metal bleacher instead of concrete?

I'm sure the all aluminum costs about 1/2 as much as concrete. You dont get the same feel with the aluminum erector set stadium's, but they fit the bill. I believe UCF built a 45k seat stadium for about 30 million or so--pretty good money wise for such a large place.

I like the SIU stadium. Good size, good set-up, and the press box and scoreboard are very nice. Concrete bleachers would be preferred, but they did good here!

F'N Hawks
June 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
This is a thread about a brand new outdoor stadium for Southern Illinois. Quit hijacking threads and talking about NDSU, again.

darell1976
June 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
This is a thread about a brand new outdoor stadium for Southern Illinois. Quit hijacking threads and talking about NDSU, again.

xthumbsupx

NDB
June 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM

It's a perfectly legitimate tangent.

It was a Missouri State fan who said it would be among the best in the league opening the thread to comparisons.

darell1976
June 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
It's a perfectly legitimate tangent.

It was a Missouri State fan who said it would be among the best in the league opening the thread to comparisons.

Because he said it was among the best in the league doesn't mean the Fargodome is better. If you want to start comparing stadiums start a different thread.

TheBisonator
June 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Because he said it was among the best in the league doesn't mean the Fargodome is better. If you want to start comparing stadiums start a different thread.

This is what MSUBear42 said:

Then I had to defend the FFD as being the best stadium in the MVFC even after SIU completes their new place.

Redbird Ray
June 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have defended NDSU and the Fargodome quite a bit on this board even though I have not yet been to a game up there yet, but going off what I see in pics, I have to give SIU the edge here.

1) SIU's new stadium will be outdoors, where football was meant to be played

2) Yeah it's an erector set style stadium, but that is the trend these days. Makes it easy for expansion if so desired, and as mentioned before is much cheaper than concrete. Plus, if you get enough people, you can make the stadium shake like UCF does with their student section, which is pretty cool.

3) Scoreboard, Press Box, and Grass Berm are all nice aesthetic touches that are better than the Fargodome's IMO.

4) Fargodome still plays on astroturf, that alone drags the Fargodome's cred down quite a bit.

Result - SIU wins for having the best stadium in the MVFC. Enjoy this honor Salukis. Hopefully ISU can one-up you in 3-5 years.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Say what you want about which MVFC stadium is the "best" or "nicest".

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3460/siustad.jpg

SIU's does not take the cake in the "quality of structure" category. This is basically a high school bleacher that's been wrapped around 3 sides of the field with a nice pressbox and videoboard in the endzone.

ericsaid
June 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Reminds me of Marshall.

Redbird Ray
June 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I will admit that it does look small though. Looks more like 12K than 15K. Still nice looking though. Hopefully there will be some nice concourse features between the stands and concession areas also.

rufus
June 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I don't mind steel/aluminum construction, when it's pulled off well. JMU's new stadium is sort of a hybrid of steel and concrete, but the actual grandstands are steel. I know there will be a concrete wall in front of the stands at field level, which should give it a more finished look. You can see the concrete substructure in this picture...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TCKieUWqWTI/AAAAAAAADEU/Wa6wnkShpCs/s912/IMG_9684.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumphase1#5486125937834219826

I think you can make a steel stadium look good. The colored risers, seat backs, etc. help.

jmufootball2
June 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I don't mind steel/aluminum construction, when it's pulled off well. JMU's new stadium is sort of a hybrid of steel and concrete, but the actual grandstands are steel. I know there will be a concrete wall in front of the stands at field level, which should give it a more finished look. You can see the concrete substructure in this picture...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TCKieUWqWTI/AAAAAAAADEU/Wa6wnkShpCs/s912/IMG_9684.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumphase1#5486125937834219826

I think you can make a steel stadium look good. The colored risers, seat backs, etc. help.

Its cinderblocks not concrete.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, ALL new stadiums have that same type of basic structure. But it's the finishing touches (ie, where the extra money goes) that makes it look like a real structure rather than a high school bleacher wrapped around three sides of the field.

For example, take a look at the U of MN's new stadium. They spent $250 million to build that where as the U of Central Florida only spent $50 million to get roughly the same capacity. But the quality of the structure is worlds apart.

JSU02
June 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm partial to concrete xthumbsupx

bostonspider
June 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
UR used the metal bleacher system as well, but certainly worked hard to "cover" it with brick and precast concrete to give the stadium a more tradtional feel. This stadium really fits in well with Richmond's collegiate gothic campus architecture.

SIUallDay
June 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Video update as of 6-28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLmP1Oq8y0

SO ILLmatic
June 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM
The field turf looks great! Wish the SIU logo in the middle of the field was bigger though. And possibly add the MVFC logo close to the 25 yard lines, diagonally opposite one another.

BTW, the stadium will be called "Saluki Stadium"....for now. Supposedly some options are still being weighed on the naming rights.

ur2k
June 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Looks nice. What's the capacity?

SO ILLmatic
June 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM

JSU02
June 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Does that include the grass area under the scoreboard?

DoublePar
July 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
This is what MSUBear42 said:

Then I had to defend the FFD as being the best stadium in the MVFC even after SIU completes their new place.

Now all the Bison have to do is field a football team this year!

skinny_uncle
July 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Video update as of 6-28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLmP1Oq8y0

It will look even better once we put some points up on that new scoreboard.
I'm sure members of the press are going to enjoy that new pressbox a lot better than our old one.

smcwildcat
July 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
must be nice to have money.....meanwile we'll keep moving forward no matter what

Western_101
July 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM

Can't let SIU have there due huh?

Fargo Dome is fine, quit being so insecure and childish.

ValleyChamp
July 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
must be nice to have money.....meanwile we'll keep moving forward no matter what

lol

Twentysix
July 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Meh it has bleachers not seats. Huge negative. Backless seats are crap, though if your standing it doesnt matter unfortunately old people like football.

It looks like a very large improvement over the old stadium i saw via webcast on that rainy day last year.

congrats.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I am curious about the grass berm capacity as well. Is that part of the 15K or not? Looks great, although I will miss the MAC. The scoreboard is awesome.

SO ILLmatic
July 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM
No, I think the 15000 is from the seats, not including possible patrons seating on the berm.
Word on the street is that the berm is not going to be open to the public unless all the seats are filled (at least for the first few games). I'm not sure if it is a sod issue, attendance issue, or what - And I couldn't find the article that stated the area would be closed.

1080 of the 15000 seats are chairbacks. Don't forget about the 12 luxury suites and the vip suite [both of which may have the opportunity to sell alcohol in during the games. Which I'm not sure exactly how that works because the stadium is on campus, but I guess the NCAA has different rules when you're not serving to the general public]

Fighting Cock
August 3rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
JSUO2 I like concrete too. But I have been to many games at McAndrew. (Girlfriend is a SALUKI). If we are not in Jacksonville Alabama we are in Carbondale Illinois on game days in the fall.The side we sit on has metal bleachers, and they make a LOT OF NOISE when stomped on. Going to SIU and watching the dogs will grow on a person, the dogs have become my second favorite team. I LOVE IT THERE. And they make the playoffs!!!!!! But we are looking foward to both stadiums--JSU- GO COCKS and SIU GO DOGS!!

SO ILLmatic
August 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Ribbon cutting ceremony took place this evening in Carbondale.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082410aai.html

I was there, but forgot my camera.
So I'm unable to post some shots from inside.
But the stadium looks great and its bigger than I expected.

SalukiJim
August 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM
12,500 seating + 2500 in the "berm" is the official word on capacity.
As a 10 year season ticket holder I have mixed emotions. Glad to be in new digs, but part of the fun of the MAC was going to the opposing team's newspaper website the next day and seeing how much they b!+ched about the old stadium. My reaction, "well good - you're not SUPPOSED to be comfortable - so what if your 'locker' consists of a rustynail on the wall'.

Two major improvements - the press box now has bathrooms (!) and the visiting locker room too! Seriously after the playoff game vs. the Tribe last year I saw several of their players going out of the locker room and into the stadium to use the facilities - erk!

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
12,500 seating + 2500 in the "berm" is the official word on capacity.
As a 10 year season ticket holder I have mixed emotions. Glad to be in new digs, but part of the fun of the MAC was going to the opposing team's newspaper website the next day and seeing how much they b!+ched about the old stadium. My reaction, "well good - you're not SUPPOSED to be comfortable - so what if your 'locker' consists of a rustynail on the wall'.

Two major improvements - the press box now has bathrooms (!) and the visiting locker room too! Seriously after the playoff game vs. the Tribe last year I saw several of their players going out of the locker room and into the stadium to use the facilities - erk!

"***** about the old stadium"....two years ago we we're trying to figure out a a way we could take it home with us when you were done with it.

SalukiJim
August 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
"***** about the old stadium"....two years ago we we're trying to figure out a a way we could take it home with us when you were done with it.

Well, hell, in that game we turned everything else over to you guys! xlolx We might as well have turned the keys to the stadium over as well! Seriously you guys played very well that day.xsmileyclapx