PDA

View Full Version : UNH Pulls Out of Game vs Boston College

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM
We always hear about UNH being the 'warrior' that goes into these FBS stadiums and comes home with a win. Well, the Wildcats are pulling out on a scheduled FBS game against Boston College that was scheduled to take place in '14.

I guess on the bright side, the article does talk about Montana or Appalachian State playing in a new UNH stadium 'under the lights'.

On Friday, director of athletics Marty Scarano, while talking about the series at Gillette and football schedules, noted that UNH has opted out of a football game at Boston College that had been scheduled for the 2014 season.

"It was an uncomfortable situation for Sean to begin with," Scarano said. "He and his staff have close ties to BC. They go to the BC camp. We revisited it and decided not to enter into competition with them and they were good enough to let us out of it."

The Wildcats have made a habit of taking on Football Bowl Subdivision teams such as BC in recent years and have won five straight games against the higher-division schools.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Allen+Lessels%27+UNH+Noteboo k%3A+Cross+BC+tilt+off+football+slate&articleId=2dc35a85-0a9f-494d-b27a-b31491974393

Wildcat80
May 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM
TT do not mislead anyone...this has nothing to do with UNH being "afraid" to play BC. In fact the players would LOVE to play and beat BC!! This has everything to do with maintaining a working relationship with the two coaching staffs. I read into it the fact that UNH's Coach Mac feels so good about his future teams that he knows he'd beat BC!! That's why they are backing out. UNH attends the BC camps and gets alot of referrals on players that BC is no longer recruiting.

Now UConn.....there's no love lost there!! Bring em on!xnodxxnodx

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2010, 12:26 PM
TT do not mislead anyone...this has nothing to do with UNH being "afraid" to play BC. In fact the players would LOVE to play and beat BC!! This has everything to do with maintaining a working relationship with the two coaching staffs. I read into it the fact that UNH's Coach Mac feels so good about his future teams that he knows he'd beat BC!! That's why they are backing out. UNH attends the BC camps and gets alot of referrals on players that BC is no longer recruiting.

Thanks for providing more information on the relations between UNH and BC...

Did UNH have to pay a buyout or was this a mutual decision between the administrations/coaching staffs? Seems it's a few years away, so it should not be a problem for either school to fill the gaping hole in '14. Heck, the SWAC schools have not begun scheduling for '11 yet. xwhistlex

WestCoastAggie
May 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for providing more information on the relations between UNH and BC...

Did UNH have to pay a buyout or was this a mutual decision between the administrations/coaching staffs? Seems it's a few years away, so it should not be a problem for either school to fill the gaping hole in '14. Heck, the SWAC schools have not begun scheduling for '11 yet. xwhistlex

Was that pot shot at the SWAC needed? xpeacex

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I think it is clear that UNH did not find BC to be much of a challenge, and did not want to embarass the Iggles. With that said, maybe UNH will take up a challenge and play a fellow top FCS school like Montana? That would be great to see.

Go...gate
May 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Holy Cross as a replacement? Fordham, Lafayette, or Colgate, perhaps? xcoachx

Jackman
May 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
UNH will now be known as BC-Durham. That is all.

NHwildEcat
May 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Ouchxbangx

UNHFan99
May 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The fact is at least 4 members of the BC coaching staff were at UNH less than 5 years ago. They are all close friends and really doesnt make sense for either team play each other. College football is a business and this game makes very little business sense for either program.

Jackman
May 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Public statements of affection still won't be enough to pull you past BC-Philadelphia (http://www.sjuhawknews.com/2.7303/st-joe-s-adopts-bc-football-team-1.1016177) or creepy stalker BC-Virginia (http://bridgewatereagles.com/sports/fball/index) on their BFF list. You're going to have to raise your game. Display some UNC-Kingston (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAOLkc1uDpI) level commitment.

813Jag
May 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Was that pot shot at the SWAC needed? xpeacex
that's all he knows, he goes thru crack withdrawals if he doesn't mention SWAC some way. glad to see this place is still the same.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Holy Cross as a replacement? Fordham, Lafayette, or Colgate, perhaps? xcoachx

Are they going to fork over $300K+?

Didn't think so. Have to believe another FBS will take BC's place on the schedule. And I do believe that Dartmouth is supposed to return to the schedule in 2014 to complete the suspended contract with another home and home. But that might be 2015.

Got to think that if any of those Patriot teams truly want a game with UNH, then they only need to call the UNH AD and negotiate a deal. Seems to have worked for Lehigh. It may be an assumption on my part, but I believe we would have preferred a Patriot team over St. Francis PA, Iona and the pre-full scholly Stony Brook that we've played in recent years. An hour and half bus ride to Worcester should be a no brainer. Colgate and Fordham are shorter bus rides than Lehigh and Lafayette. More of these games should be occurring. xtwocentsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I think it is clear that UNH did not find BC to be much of a challenge, and did not want to embarass the Iggles. With that said, maybe UNH will take up a challenge and play a fellow top FCS school like Montana? That would be great to see.

I'm assuming that is sarcasm, because no one associated with UNH would think a gridiron match with the Beagles was a slam dunk. Yes, just about everyone in the fan base would like nothing better than embarrassing the Chestnut Hill pinheads.

Based on what I read in the article, until there is a stadium enhancement that provides a larger capacity, then scheduling a home and home with a team like Montana just isn't financially feasible. It has nothing to do with UNH's willingness to take on a challenge, it has everything to do with the Benjamins!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Shredded wheat on a keyboard is not a pretty sight..............:D

Unfortunately, the pumpkin puke smilie doesn't seem to be working. So, please use you imagination and visualize it after the "===>" below!! xlolx xlolx

Chestnut Hill Beagles ===> :pumpuke: